Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Dedicated Member

PS4's audio chip vs xbox one

I've been hearing (from b3d among others) that xbox one with its Shape chip is going for a much more advanced audio solution in its console whereas the ps4 is using a run of the mill audio solution for its console. Does anyone know if the xbox one will have better audio processing capabilities because of this and would ps4 be able to decode dolby true hd and dts ma like the xbox? I value sound and have a nice 7.1 setup, so im curious to know if the xbox with its shape chip can produce better sound fidelity than ps4?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    I've been hearing (from b3d among others) that xbox one with its Shape chip is going for a much more advanced audio solution in its console whereas the ps4 is using a run of the mill audio solution for its console. Does anyone know if the xbox one will have better audio processing capabilities because of this and would ps4 be able to decode dolby true hd and dts ma like the xbox? I value sound and have a nice 7.1 setup, so im curious to know if the xbox with its shape chip can produce better sound fidelity than ps4?
    I hope this answers your question. Expand and look very closely.

Dedicated Member
    The ps4 and X1 are going to be able to hand any main stream audio format, that isn't so much in contention. The X1 just has extra resources for audio processing, but what is unclear at the moment is how much of that is required/dedicated to Kinect processing.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sound is often overlooked these days, most gamers have orgasms over graphics and couldn't care less about decent sound especially when the FPS have RADAR on the screen.

Half life wih A3D was supposed to be very very good (I never experienced it) but Creative bought them out and killed it. There was one guy called Renkie that used A3D audio with invisible models yet he still knew exactly where the enemies were.
    http://renkie.home.xs4all.nl/A3d/

He did the same thing for Razer when they released the baracuda headsset and soundcard a few years ago in the same game. $#@! quality video.

Last edited by keefy; 10-08-2013 at 14:33.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Sound is often overlooked these days, most gamers have orgasms over graphics and couldn't care less about decent sound especially when the FPS have RADAR on the screen.

Half life wih A3D was supposed to be very very good (I never experienced it) but Creative bought them out and killed it. There was one guy called Renkie that used A3D audio with invisible models yet he still knew exactly where the enemies were.
    http://renkie.home.xs4all.nl/A3d/

He did the same thing for Razer when they released the baracuda headsset and soundcard a few years ago in the same game. $#@! quality video.

I use to have a Diamond Monster MX300 sound card back in the day, it had A3D 2.0 and for the time it was pretty amazing! I also had the Yamaha DB50XG daughter board that I installed on that card as well for the MIDI audio, music couldn't sound much better at the time! I was very sad when they stopped supporting it, I still think that was one of my more beloved sound cards, I do miss it still to this day!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

6. Likes mynd likes this post
    Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    I hope this answers your question. Expand and look very closely.

Dtshd for bd disc playback.

I dont think same chip will be used for game audio calculations.

bat0nas
    Sent from my mobile device

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    IDoes anyone know if the xbox one will have better audio processing capabilities because of this and would ps4 be able to decode dolby true hd and dts ma like the xbox?
    First of all, you wouldn't give a rats ass if it decoded Dolby True HD or DTS MA, you'd care if it encoded it. There is no analog outputs for a decoded audio to be output via.

I've read nothing on either platform indicating what encoding capabilities it has, and there's not a lot of info on what the limitations are.

The reality is it's not really a big deal as it can all be done with very little processing power by the APU if you need / want to encode the Audio in a lossless compression format.

These chips are more about decoding multiple audio streams and mixing them together. Taking this portion of the task away from the game. And they both seem more than adequate for doing the task.

I'll add my Audiophile perspective on this, and say that > 99% of the people who ask for this don't have the equipment to be able to tell hear the difference. They get a 7.1 AV receiver which has the ability to decode it, but really doesn't have the speakers and their amplifier of the AV receiver isn't of good enough quality to really be able to make out the difference between a high quality lossy compression and a lossless compression.

Personally, I do have the equipment and I still don't give a rats ass for gaming as long as it's high quality lossy compression. Why? Because when I'm gaming I'm focused on the game itself. The music and effects set the environmental tone of the game, but I'm not purely focused on that, like I am when listening to music itself or sometimes when watching movies that have high quality music.

I'd toss a BS on any statement from anyone claiming they are.

This said, BluRay playback fully supports this and it's the only thing I care about having lossless compression on the PS4.

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    This ^

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by bat0nas View Post

bat0nas

Grant it that it it is possibly true, but I still look at it like this; Sony is a hardware manufacturing company and MS is a software company. Who do you think would provide a better audio chip in their devices.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Sony would of course. So far this past couple of years their audio equipment coming out has been fantastic. It's their audio stuff from before that was sucking really bad. Sony has been doing a lot of good things lately so I doubt this audio chip they have in the PS4 will be only sub par. I'm sure the chip will be of good quality. This is of course if Sony made it. There hasn't been much information at all on this audio chip besides that it's a separate audio chip in the PS4.

Forum Sage
    Grant it that it it is possibly true, but I still look at it like this; Sony is a hardware manufacturing company and MS is a software company. Who do you think would provide a better audio chip in their devices.

Did it ever occur to you that if MS couldn't accomplish something themselves, they could always hire/bring in another company with more experience to help them out?

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by bat0nas View Post

bat0nas
    It doesn't mention DTSHD is for BD disc playback?
    Or am i missing something?

14. Likes Saigon likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I assume they would both be 24bit/96KHz.

Audio should be the least of your worries.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

16. Likes Saigon likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    LOL, dude, people are looking at ANYTHING to give the X1 some kind of edge on the PS4. Being able to handle the workload of encoding/decoding 200 MP3 channels at once is really damn good. Whatever the X1 can or can't do beyond the PS4s audio capabilities is just an exercise in impracticality at this point.

18. Likes Saigon likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post

Did it ever occur to you that if MS couldn't accomplish something themselves, they could always hire/bring in another company with more experience to help them out?
    Believe me it is well noted but the fact still stands that Sony is a manufacturing company that specializes in this type of functionality. I doubt they would create a high end product and dumb down the other features. That wouldn't make any sense (This is where your picture would be perfectly applied). On that note, lets look at it like this, if the OP originally asked about software would you have made the same comment. I understand MS has the money to bring in 3rd party support but that doesn't mean Sony does not also. Seriously, many don't know Mark Cerny is contracted through Sony, unless something has changed as of late. So Sony went outside of the box to create the PS4. Cerny himself stated how surprised the techs were in designing the layout and functionality of the PS4 after the initial specs were decided. To me that tells me something mainly that this system will not be a slouch. So again, why provide high grade product with deterred features.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    It doesn't mention DTSHD is for BD disc playback?
    Or am i missing something?
    Yes, you're missing the label on the side which was pointed out as listing DTS HD Master Audio. This while it is optional for support on Blu Ray playback, is something that Sony would be stupid not to do, but that's why there's the label on the PS4 to indicate it's supported. It's necessary as a BD player but not necessary as a game console to indicate this audio support.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 10-08-2013 at 22:59.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Yes, you're missing the label on the side which was pointed out as listing DTS HD Master Audio. This while it is optional for support on Blu Ray playback, is something that Sony would be stupid not to do, but that's why there's the label on the PS4 to indicate it's supported. It's necessary as a BD player but not necessary as a game console to indicate this audio support.
    Yes, but it does not mention DTSHD is *just* for BD disc playback as bat0nas had mentioned.
    I was trying to work out where he came up with that.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    ANDYENG
    Believe me it is well noted but the fact still stands that Sony is a manufacturing company that specializes in this type of functionality. I doubt they would create a high end product and dumb down the other features. That wouldn't make any sense (This is where your picture would be perfectly applied). On that note, lets look at it like this, if the OP originally asked about software would you have made the same comment. I understand MS has the money to bring in 3rd party support but that doesn't mean Sony does not also. Seriously, many don't know Mark Cerny is contracted through Sony, unless something has changed as of late. So Sony went outside of the box to create the PS4. Cerny himself stated how surprised the techs were in designing the layout and functionality of the PS4 after the initial specs were decided. To me that tells me something mainly that this system will not be a slouch. So again, why provide high grade product with deterred features.
    Sure it does. Loads of companies have certain features that are advance but save money on the none essential parts. Like someone mentioned previously graphics and game-play are viewed as more important than audio.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by A1ANDY View Post
    Sure it does. Loads of companies have certain features that are advance but save money on the none essential parts. Like someone mentioned previously graphics and game-play are viewed as more important than audio.
    Is that why Sony's new Playstation headquarters in California has several recording studios that can fit orchestras?

Riddle me this, riddle me that.
    http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...about-6-years/

24. Likes Shingo likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Is that why Sony's new Playstation headquarters in California has several recording studios that can fit orchestras?

Riddle me this, riddle me that.
    http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/...about-6-years/
    Makes sense to why they sold their New York building. To think, many people made the assumption that this was step they were going out of business.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    It would be killer if it had an S-Master

And look at the official Blu-Ray Spec. That carries over to games in a way I'm sure.

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    First of all, you wouldn't give a rats ass if it decoded Dolby True HD or DTS MA, you'd care if it encoded it. There is no analog outputs for a decoded audio to be output via.

I've read nothing on either platform indicating what encoding capabilities it has, and there's not a lot of info on what the limitations are.

The reality is it's not really a big deal as it can all be done with very little processing power by the APU if you need / want to encode the Audio in a lossless compression format.

These chips are more about decoding multiple audio streams and mixing them together. Taking this portion of the task away from the game. And they both seem more than adequate for doing the task.

I'll add my Audiophile perspective on this, and say that > 99% of the people who ask for this don't have the equipment to be able to tell hear the difference. They get a 7.1 AV receiver which has the ability to decode it, but really doesn't have the speakers and their amplifier of the AV receiver isn't of good enough quality to really be able to make out the difference between a high quality lossy compression and a lossless compression.

Personally, I do have the equipment and I still don't give a rats ass for gaming as long as it's high quality lossy compression. Why? Because when I'm gaming I'm focused on the game itself. The music and effects set the environmental tone of the game, but I'm not purely focused on that, like I am when listening to music itself or sometimes when watching movies that have high quality music.

I'd toss a BS on any statement from anyone claiming they are.

This said, BluRay playback fully supports this and it's the only thing I care about having lossless compression on the PS4.
    I wouldn't go too far with this.

True, damned near everyone won't appreciate good quality sound, nor will damn near anyone have the means to reproduce high fidelity sound, but there definitely are games in which quality sound really adds to immersion.

Any sound tech, audiophile and the like knows that when you watch a movie, over half of the emotion you feel is from the sound generated. Tron: Legacy wouldn't have been half the movie it was if it wasn't for not only the soundtrack, but the overall sound work done in studio to reproduce a more authentic, believable environment.

I can say the exact same thing for games like Dead Space as well. The majority of Dead Space's immersion was due to the incredible sound work in the game. The tunneling screams from a distance, the scrapes and scratches in the vents, the abrupt, distorted calls that suddenly came in, the feeling of some true fire power from something as simple as a plasma cutter.

Sound adds a lot to a game. Unfortunately, the mainstream audience goes for mainstream games which don't utilize sounds very well (they're generally much more reaction/twitch-based, which comes from visual cues), but that doesn't deter anything from games which provide a true sense immersion.
    Last edited by Treghc; 10-10-2013 at 17:50.

28. Likes Lefein, D3seeker likes this post
    Ancient
    Didn't Sony say that PS4 would meet PS3's audio specification day one and expand on them, either way the PS4 only needs to be able to send audio in lossless which I assume it does and the rest is up to the receiver and the audio mix.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk 4

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I use to have a Diamond Monster MX300 sound card back in the day, it had A3D 2.0 and for the time it was pretty amazing! I also had the Yamaha DB50XG daughter board that I installed on that card as well for the MIDI audio, music couldn't sound much better at the time! I was very sad when they stopped supporting it, I still think that was one of my more beloved sound cards, I do miss it still to this day!
    Props for DBXG50, I also owned one, it was that good, we used it as backing band for my brother. It was basically the guts of Yamaha top XG synths ripped out and put on a daughter board, and while it was fantastic with General midi, OMG at the XG midi files.

Before that I had an Ensoniq Soundscape which was a massive massive card...

OT, one will do it via CPU/GPU the other will do it via dedicated hardware, meh. Its not like the PS4 doesn't have a spare few cycles.
    Last edited by mynd; 10-10-2013 at 21:00.

31. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    OMG at the XG midi files.
    XG Midi files were insane, I remember one of the first things I listed to at the time was the XG Remastered music from Final Fantasy VII, some of the audio just floored me! I kick myself for ever getting rid of that daughter board!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Thread Information