Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 103
  1. #26
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,697
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    18,075 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Hmmm, playstation site gives a PS game a high score while all the other main gaming sites score it much lower?!

    I loved Heavy Rain...is this coming out on the ps4?
    The graphics and frame rate in this game are so good you could fool people in thinking it was a PS4 game.

    PS4 has little to no competition.

  2. #27
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,787
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    155,805 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I would have missed out on alot of games that I really enjoyed if I mindlessly relied on metacritic to make my purchasing decisions for me.

  3. #28
    PSU Community Manager
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,580
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    6,104,188 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Metacritic can be a reasonably good judge of a game's quality but titles like QD games are always going to have a rough time because they redefine what we think of as games. I think if Cage had included chest high walls, health regen and kill streak perks of Aiden it would have received better scores.

    I'm with Crow, I would have missed out on some gems if I had gone by metacritic. Also remember that these scores are the opinion of about 50ish (or how ever many reviews a game gets) out of a combined pool of 160,000,000 current gen console gamers. So there are 1,599,950 other people out there whose opinions you'll never hear and the people who review games have no special training that makes their opinion any better than anyone elses so it's down to each gamer to decide whether they will risk missing out on a title based on the opinions of less than 1% of the current gen gaming population.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

    THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST



  4. Likes mistercrow likes this post
  5. #29
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,737
    Rep Power
    156
    Points
    64,625 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Also remember that these scores are the opinion of about 50ish (or how ever many reviews a game gets) out of a combined pool of 160,000,000 current gen console gamers.
    This is why I wished there was an IMDB equivalent for video games, where there was a decent user score to go by that was comprised of thousands of votes.

    Metacritic has a user score, but people always use that to troll.

  6. #30
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    13
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    That's why I wish there were more demos. At first with both XBL and PSN the fact you could download console demos instead of having to buy a disc or get it packed-in with a magazine or another game, demos for almost everything was all the rage. But that waned. Waned a lot. Cutting and distributing demos costs money and I figure the marketing stats for most games show that the gamers you pull in with launch window demos about equals out to gamers you push away.

    My final word on Beyond, having played almost all the way through once, I love it. But I can see why some gamers will hate it, and not because they're cretins or twitch maniacs or don't enjoy a good story. In fact there was a day years ago I may well have hated it. I'm a reformed twitcher. I credit my son. His interest in gaming is wide but he loves strong narratives; he really gets into them and the mechanics of gameplay for him are often not just secondary, but tertiary to some other element of the game. So I started giving deep, long and involved story games more of a chance and wound up discovering if I gave it time to get into them, I like them a lot.

    Although, I'm still skeptical about some of the negative stuff that's been written by professional critics. Same critics loved Heavy Rain and, yeah, the mechanics are different but no so different for such a sea change in scoring. It's just that Beyond as a gameplay mechanics sequel -- of course not a narrative sequel -- to Heavy Rain, the game is your ex-girlfriend from a couple years ago: You're indifferent to her now but you forget oh man how you loved her and she hung the moon when you first fell for her. But she hasn't changed, she's just yesterday's news.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 10-09-2013 at 20:35.

  7. #31
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,787
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    155,805 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Professional critics? The only difference between them and us is that they get paid to post their opinions. And as already stated by others this game would have gotten 9s and 10s if it had kill streaks, health regeneration, perks and weapon mods and an overpriced Season Pass. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-09-2013 at 21:44.

  8. #32
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,737
    Rep Power
    156
    Points
    64,625 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    I can see why some gamers will hate it, and not because they're cretins or twitch maniacs or don't enjoy a good story. In fact there was a day years ago I may well have hated it. I'm a reformed twitcher. I credit my son. His interest in gaming is wide but he loves strong narratives; he really gets into them and the mechanics of gameplay for him are often not just secondary, but tertiary to some other element of the game. So I started giving deep, long and involved story games more of a chance and wound up discovering if I gave it time to get into them, I like them a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Professional critics? The only difference between them and us is that they get paid to post their opinions. And as already stated by others this game would have gotten 9s and 10s if it had kill streaks, health regeneration, perks and weapon mods and an overpriced Season Pass. lol
    Keep in mind that people don't dislike the game simply because it doesn't have enough shooting. A lot of people find the story to be poor.

    Heavy Rain received very good reviews. And the difference is that its story was executed better according to the critics. It had more tension since it was told in a linear fashion, your characters could die, there was a time limit (in the story), it was more focused on a plot rather than a character, etc. Again, that's the reasoning from most of the people who dislike Beyond.

    I won't say anything myself until I've completed the game.

  9. #33
    Ultimate Veteran
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    24,787
    Rep Power
    161
    Points
    155,805 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ixion View Post
    Keep in mind that people don't dislike the game simply because it doesn't have enough shooting. A lot of people find the story to be poor. Heavy Rain received very good reviews. And the difference is that its story was executed better according to the critics. It had more tension since it was told in a linear fashion, your characters could die, there was a time limit (in the story), it was more focused on a plot rather than a character, etc. Again, that's the reasoning from most of the people who dislike Beyond. I won't say anything myself until I've completed the game.
    Personally I like this story a little better than Heavy Rain so far. But opinions are just that. Opinions.

  10. #34
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    9,265 (0 Banked)
    Found sort of a major bug.
    Last edited by Admartian; 10-10-2013 at 03:25. Reason: Added spoiler tags. :)

  11. #35
    Supreme Veteran

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,585
    Rep Power
    123
    Points
    168 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    GTA V, flying


  12. #36
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    9,265 (0 Banked)
    **SEMI SPOILERS**
    Last edited by Admartian; 10-10-2013 at 03:25. Reason: Added spoiler tags. :)

  13. #37
    Ultimate Veteran
    Black's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Fusion gunship
    Age
    23
    Posts
    21,394
    Rep Power
    184
    Points
    47,598 (0 Banked)
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    For a game with such limited gameplay, I don't see how a 73% metacritic score isn't reasonable. A game that does something different can still be considered an underwhelming, if not average, experience regardless of how visually-stunning and cinematic of an exclusive it turns out to be.

    By the way, the people who troll with their low scores on metacritic are no worse than the fanboys who give out 9s and 10s. In most cases, you want to trust the man or woman who reviews games for a living.

    3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

  14. Likes 33x , Rapture, Admartian likes this post
  15. #38
    PSU Community Manager
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,580
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    6,104,188 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Gamespot's Tom Mcshea did a late review of Bioshock Infinite and gave it a 4. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=694514. That review could have been posted in the user rating part of metacritic. This guy is a professional reviewer and even people who don't like the game said it is not a 4/10.

    But it's always been pretty clear to me that no one reviewer's opinion should be used to form the basis of your own...nor should any review be held in isolation but rather against the broader spectrum of reviews so that you can judge the overall reception. I remember when inFamous 2 was reviewed by Gamespot and IGN. One guy clearly hated the game and the other loved it.
    Last edited by Ghost; 10-10-2013 at 07:15.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

    THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST



  16. Likes Admartian , mistercrow likes this post
  17. #39
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    9,265 (0 Banked)
    Played about couple more hours worth.

    Simply put: This game is ****ing fantastic.

    End of story. Love it.

  18. #40
    Supreme Veteran
    Ixion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    New York
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    19,737
    Rep Power
    156
    Points
    64,625 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    By the way, the people who troll with their low scores on metacritic are no worse than the fanboys who give out 9s and 10s. In most cases, you want to trust the man or woman who reviews games for a living.
    They usually cancel each other out though on most user-rating sites. But Metacritic seems to be lop-sided way too often. I just find IMDB to be far more reliable than Metacritic's user-score. It might be because gaming has different consoles and therefore more fanboys, whereas film doesn't have that. Or because gamers are just more immature. I don't know.

    As for whether critics are better or worse than users, this is how I usually handle each medium:

    Video games: Critics are far more reliable than any user-rating I've come across.

    Movies: The RottenTomatoes score and the IMDB score both have merit to me.

    Music: I give zero ****s what critics think about music. User-ratings are much more indicative.


    As for books, I don't really look at reviews.
    Last edited by Ixion; 10-10-2013 at 16:29.

  19. #41
    The Dawkness!
    Naxi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    UK
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Age
    23
    Posts
    9,409
    Rep Power
    98
    Points
    4,420 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Metacritic removes some of the outliers, at least for professional reviews. There is some objectivity to reviews. You can still enjoy a badly designed game or a movie.


    My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

  20. #42
    Newbie
    Gidde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    SWEDEN
    Age
    35
    Posts
    42
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    4,145 (0 Banked)

    PSU's Beyond Two Souls review

    It's a shame games like this don't come out more often,I'm happy that developers like quantic dreams make such masterpieces like Beyond and Heavy rain.

    I absolutely love this game,I have played for 4-5 hours and it's breathtaking.I have enjoyed this game more than GTA 5,to be honest I'm starting to get tired of all this brainless shooting games,but when a game like this come out it get bashed in reviews,that I don't get.

    Beyond two souls deserves GOTY more than GTA 5,because it has such depth and the story so far is brilliant,I really care for Jodie Holmes.In GTA 5 I don't give a **** about the characters

  21. #43
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    9,265 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gidde View Post
    It's a shame games like this don't come out more often,I'm happy that developers like quantic dreams make such masterpieces like Beyond and Heavy rain.

    I absolutely love this game,I have played for 4-5 hours and it's breathtaking.I have enjoyed this game more than GTA 5,to be honest I'm starting to get tired of all this brainless shooting games,but when a game like this come out it get bashed in reviews,that I don't get.

    Beyond two souls deserves GOTY more than GTA 5,because it has such depth and the story so far is brilliant,I really care for Jodie Holmes.In GTA 5 I don't give a **** about the characters
    I actually feel sort of the same way. I am really interested in this story. I want to know what happens....not just b/c I want to know what happens in stories....but I want to know what happens in this story.

  22. #44
    General Manager
    StevenW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Posts
    5,267
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    46,847 (0 Banked)
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    Great thread. So much love for Beyond here. I loved the story. I loved the ending. It's a great experience.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

  23. #45
    Dedicated Member
    Syphon_Filter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canada, Toronto
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,288
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    5,688 (0 Banked)
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from BlackColeBattlefield 3
    This game has the best graphics looking on the PS3. Even better than Uncharted in some levels. The game looks incredible!


    CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

  24. #46
    Elite Member
    hood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,598
    Rep Power
    65
    Points
    4,900 (0 Banked)
    I havent played Beyond but I have watched people play it on Twitch and the players and the spectators aswell as myself enjoyed the game. I didn't see the game from the beginning or have seen the end. I can say that the reviews I've read and the responses from people in the comments sections are very exciting. For a game that has very little gameplay to not just bomb entirely is very good im glad the reviews are varied. I can understand that people are put off by the game not being played in a traditional fashion but you cant ignore the fact that most traditional games have very very poor single player stories. Gamers would rather skip the story mode and go straight to multiplayer in 80-90% of games. I love this game though I will not be purchasing it because I think it needs more freedom for the player to move about and explore. I think that If David Cage would add more freedom of movement to his games people wouldnt bash it as much.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

  25. #47
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    9,265 (0 Banked)
    Just finished and played 3 endings. I liked my original ending the best....so fitting. What and ending too.

    I have a new game in my top 5 for this gen....this one is in my top 10 all time.

  26. #48
    Dedicated Member
    Gantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Posts
    1,119
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    4,105 (2,400 Banked)
    Just finished this and I loved it. I loved the story the best out of the three and didnt really find too many issues like the previous two. Damn the ps3 has some graphics power this game is beautiful, its the best or the second to the best looking ps3 game I've ever seen. I love these games and quantic dream is the only one who makes em and sony really needs to buy them. I hope this sells well and I can't wait to see what he does with the power of the ps4 cause there were times where the people looked real. I give this a 9.5/10

    **** them kids at the party, **** em.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

    Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

  27. #49
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    601
    Rep Power
    18
    Points
    9,265 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    Just finished this and I loved it. I loved the story the best out of the three and didnt really find too many issues like the previous two. Damn the ps3 has some graphics power this game is beautiful, its the best or the second to the best looking ps3 game I've ever seen. I love these games and quantic dream is the only one who makes em and sony really needs to buy them. I hope this sells well and I can't wait to see what he does with the power of the ps4 cause there were times where the people looked real. I give this a 9.5/10

    **** them kids at the party, **** em.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Did you look at "The Dark Scorcerer" movie thing?

    It's a little skit done in real time on the PS4. Honestly...I saw only very little difference in Beyond and that trailer....thats how good Beyond looks. But the lip syncing was much much better and everything was more crisp and just bit more detailed.

    But, for sure, once they have more time with the PS4 they will really show it's colors.

    The little movie thing is quite funny too, lol.

  28. #50
    General Manager
    StevenW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Posts
    5,267
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    46,847 (0 Banked)
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    I can't imagine anyone letting those kids at the party get away with it

    Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.