Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 103
  1. #51
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    This spoils nothing and if you haven't even started Beyond you might want to watch for it, but for the sake of discretion I'll tag it as a spoiler.


  2. #52
    Super Carlton
    33x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    SW London
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Age
    33
    Posts
    13,457
    Rep Power
    102
    Points
    31,821 (0 Banked)
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    I would have missed out on alot of games that I really enjoyed if I mindlessly relied on metacritic to make my purchasing decisions for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Metacritic can be a reasonably good judge of a game's quality but titles like QD games are always going to have a rough time because they redefine what we think of as games. I think if Cage had included chest high walls, health regen and kill streak perks of Aiden it would have received better scores.

    I'm with Crow, I would have missed out on some gems if I had gone by metacritic. Also remember that these scores are the opinion of about 50ish (or how ever many reviews a game gets) out of a combined pool of 160,000,000 current gen console gamers. So there are 1,599,950 other people out there whose opinions you'll never hear and the people who review games have no special training that makes their opinion any better than anyone elses so it's down to each gamer to decide whether they will risk missing out on a title based on the opinions of less than 1% of the current gen gaming population.
    True, but bear in mind, 40 is a lot of money for some people to take a punt on........hence why i never ever buy a game anymore unless i can get more than a days campaign out of it.

    Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

  3. #53
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    True, but bear in mind, 40 is a lot of money for some people to take a punt on........hence why i never ever buy a game anymore unless i can get more than a days campaign out of it.
    If I'm unsure about a game I just rent it first. I like to think for myself and make my own decisions.

  4. #54
    Dedicated Member
    Gantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    4,694 (2,400 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    This spoils nothing and if you haven't even started Beyond you might want to watch for it, but for the sake of discretion I'll tag it as a spoiler.

    Jesus christ man this is how the conversation actually goes

    Guy: Hey Cole
    Cole: Hey Alan



    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by Gantz; 10-11-2013 at 18:58.

    Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

  5. #55
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    18,827 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    I was going to say.

    Been playing the game for 5 hours straight just now and forgot that the Footy was on! I also forgot to eat my dinner and it's dark outside! The only way I realised all of this is because the game just froze, grrrr!

    This game is truly amazing and I'm loving every aspect of it so far, but the textures are quite something else, easily the best looking game this generation on consoles.

  6. #56
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    Jesus christ man this is how the conversation actually goes

    Guy: Hey Cole
    Cole: Hey Alan



    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Are you sure? It doesn't sound like Kadeem Hardison saying either of those lines. It's not unusual for gaffes like that, depending on how they've recorded the lines. Especially animation, since the actors aren't in character, they're in sweats and T-shirts. Yeah, if they're just reading lines solo straight off the script, it doesn't happen. But I don't know how that scene was shot. I still think it's Hey, Ellen. Maybe I can find it on you YouTube and be convinced otherwise. I was watching Jody and the staff guy, not Hardison's character.

  7. #57
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    Jesus christ man this is how the conversation actually goes

    Guy: Hey Cole
    Cole: Hey Alan



    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    You're right. Still doesn't sound like Hardison and it does sound like "Ellen" but staff guy's model doesn't move his lips during the reply dialogue. Oh well. Too bad. The PacBell payphone in Die Hard 2 is one of my favorite movie scenes ever. I mean, how did they miss that?

  8. #58
    Dedicated Member
    Gantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    4,694 (2,400 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    You're right. Still doesn't sound like Hardison and it does sound like "Ellen" but staff guy's model doesn't move his lips during the reply dialogue. Oh well. Too bad. The PacBell payphone in Die Hard 2 is one of my favorite movie scenes ever. I mean, how did they miss that?
    Sounds exactly like hardison and sounds exactly like alan. U are aware that this game has subtitles right?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

    Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

  9. #59
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    18,827 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Well I've just completed it and I'm now an emotional wreck. This game has had me close to tears several times throughout the game and I never thought that this game would do that. The Walking Dead had me in tears at the end but I had to fight them back in Beyond on several occasions otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to play the game without a bit of a break!

    I think that this game is probably on the top of my GOTY list, even above The Last of Us *shock*. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea so I'm not surprised about the amount of discrepancy in the reviews but I've enjoyed probably the biggest emotional roller coaster in gaming with this game.

  10. #60
    Dedicated Member
    Gantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    4,694 (2,400 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Well I've just completed it and I'm now an emotional wreck. This game has had me close to tears several times throughout the game and I never thought that this game would do that. The Walking Dead had me in tears at the end but I had to fight them back in Beyond on several occasions otherwise I probably wouldn't have been able to play the game without a bit of a break!

    I think that this game is probably on the top of my GOTY list, even above The Last of Us *shock*. It's certainly not everyone's cup of tea so I'm not surprised about the amount of discrepancy in the reviews but I've enjoyed probably the biggest emotional roller coaster in gaming with this game.
    What was ur ending?

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

    Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

  11. #61
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Varsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    W-s-M
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Age
    32
    Posts
    5,377
    Rep Power
    81
    Points
    18,827 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    My ending was this:

  12. #62
    Apprentice
    Final_fantasy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Age
    25
    Posts
    424
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    928 (0 Banked)
    you know, there's a moment in the game that got me to laugh because i really didn't expect it.... but:

    for some reason, i feel like stuffing an unrevealing yet obvious porn dvd case with goldfish snack crackers after removing the dvd and sell it to a gullible teenager.

  13. #63
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    895
    Rep Power
    21
    Points
    8,871 (0 Banked)
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    My ending: B/c I want to talk more about this game lol.

    Last edited by Locomotive; 10-12-2013 at 18:50.

  14. #64
    Dedicated Member
    Gantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    4,694 (2,400 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    My ending: B/c I want to talk more about this game lol.



    Wow didn't know this could happen

    Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

  15. #65
    Superior Member
    Locomotive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Posts
    895
    Rep Power
    21
    Points
    8,871 (0 Banked)
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    Wow didn't know this could happen
    Oh $#@! man....did I just spoil it for you???

  16. #66
    Dedicated Member
    Gantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    4,694 (2,400 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    Oh $#@! man....did I just spoil it for you???
    Lol nah man its just I didnt realize the scenario in black sun could play out like that. I probably wouldve never known if not for reading your post. Seems I missed a few things like


    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

    Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

  17. #67
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    You realize I said x and you said you're wrong and I said I'm not sure but I'll check and I quickly checked and discovered I was indeed wrong and I came right back here and posted that you were absolutely, unquestionably right and STILL you're posting to argue matters of opinion? Except the subtitles part, which is a matter of fact of which I am aware although I did not play it with subtitles. Had I, I'd have immediately questioned my interpretation of the line as a gaffe, as subtitles are often incorrect but it would've still been far more likely I was mistaken than the subs were incorrect.

    Anyway, to make perfectly clear, I posted what I heard because I thought it was funny. I think continuity and similar errors in film and games are interesting footnotes. Pleasant trivia. But I was wrong about this one. Suffice for you to first post something like, yeah that WOULD have been funny, but it's not the line and I know because I played with subtitles on and it's a different name than you heard, it's Alan, and it's two different voice actors.

    What you did, succinctly, I posted an incorrect comment about the game, you posted that I was wrong, I questioned that but double checked and then posted that I was after all wrong, you were right. And you replied to my concession tantamount to, Well you're still wrong. This is sensible to you how exactly?

  18. #68
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I think that this game is probably on the top of my GOTY list, even above The Last of Us *shock*.
    It's even with or probably ahead of The Last of Us for me, too. I'm a sucker for story and this situation well supports QD's mandate of not letting gameplay mechanics get in the way of story. I got a lot out of The Last of Us story but I think my wife got more because she wasn't worried about getting shot by a bandit sniper or having her face chewed off by a clicker. Beyond hardly lacked interactivity but I wasn't ever torn out of the narrative trying to manage my own physical coordination in order to progress in the story.

  19. #69
    Dedicated Member
    Gantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    4,694 (2,400 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    You realize I said x and you said you're wrong and I said I'm not sure but I'll check and I quickly checked and discovered I was indeed wrong and I came right back here and posted that you were absolutely, unquestionably right and STILL you're posting to argue matters of opinion? Except the subtitles part, which is a matter of fact of which I am aware although I did not play it with subtitles. Had I, I'd have immediately questioned my interpretation of the line as a gaffe, as subtitles are often incorrect but it would've still been far more likely I was mistaken than the subs were incorrect.

    Anyway, to make perfectly clear, I posted what I heard because I thought it was funny. I think continuity and similar errors in film and games are interesting footnotes. Pleasant trivia. But I was wrong about this one. Suffice for you to first post something like, yeah that WOULD have been funny, but it's not the line and I know because I played with subtitles on and it's a different name than you heard, it's Alan, and it's two different voice actors.


    What you did, succinctly, I posted an incorrect comment about the game, you posted that I was wrong, I questioned that but double checked and then posted that I was after all wrong, you were right. And you replied to my concession tantamount to, Well you're still wrong. This is sensible to you how exactly?
    No offense to you guy, but I really don't care about any of this. I only responded the second time cause you made some nonsense excuses to justify your mistaken theory. Now let up drop this matter..

    Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

  20. #70
    Super Elite
    Acid Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,022
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    9,167 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    This is something I'll get when it comes way down in price. A bit too expensive when you don't have much freedom.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

  21. #71
    Dedicated Member
    Gantz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Posts
    1,155
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    4,694 (2,400 Banked)
    Best looking game on ps3.

    Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

    Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

  22. #72
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acid Snake View Post
    This is something I'll get when it comes way down in price. A bit too expensive when you don't have much freedom.
    It was a two-day game for me because I had the time available. It'll take about a week for my son, but he has the usual school schedule. Then he'll play duo with my youngest son. For us that's US$60 split into thirds, which isn't too bad. But I won't replay it. I rarely reread books. I have very, very few movies I watch over and over again because I want to watch them rather than share the experience with my kids. And we're talking, like, Elizabethtown here. Comfortable emotional connections. Lullabies, not fine cinema.

    Because the money is a bit spread out, and because it's the sort of game I'd just like to have, I'm okay with what I spent. The chance I'll ever replay it is low; the chance I'll replay with the intent of getting different primary endings and permutations thereof, nil.

    If you assess it strictly by gaming value using local currency per gameplay hour as your quantification, unless you have a few people in the household who will play it, no it's not worth full price. In fact it may only be worth renting. Initially I was only going to rent it for myself and my sons too play but I decided it's something I'd like to own, and I think my oldest son likes owning it.

    It is unquestionably a beautiful game. As many before me have said: best-looking console game to date; best-looking PS3 game, etc. It does look great, but I think what a lot of people are missing about Beyond's looks, they're just that: looks. There's not much to fairly compare it to on things that can play games. The movie Pacific Rim looks great. But you can't do that on a game console, or a top-end gaming PC for that matter. Beyond's graphics engine doesn't have to do much to handle player interaction. Go far enough the wrong way, Jody turns around and walks or runs back. So that's a bunch of off-path structures and associated textures you don't have to deal with at all. Period. They just don't have to exist. Because you can't go that far off path. And it's two or three canned animations to turn Jody around and put her back on path.

    Quantic Dream made nearly 100 percent use of the leverage from developing motion graphics for a game like Beyond, but it IS leverage. About the only fair comparison is an interactive tech demo. And Beyond is almost surely the best looking interactive tech demo on PS3. But comparing its looks to other PS3 games -- like The Last of Us, Crysis 3, etc. -- isn't quite far. A but like comparing a AAA racer to a fairly free-ranging FPS. They're not doing the same things, not at all, and the fewer things you have to deal with the better you can make your game look. I mean,*Beyond better look great. If it didn't, something's really, really wrong.

  23. #73
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    Now let up drop this matter..
    That is in fact my whole point. When someone makes an assertion and you defy that assertion, turns out you're right and the individual specifically declares you're right and he's wrong, take that. For one, you won't get it much in life and you won't get it at all if you don't learn how to take it graciously. People often hang onto their incorrect assumptions like no tomorrow. In the face of undisguised condescension they always will. This was a binary proposition, you're right or you're wrong. You were right. I so stated. There are no shades or grades here. You were right. You can't be MORE right on this one.

    Lastly, as to certain words and phrases in casual usage, when someone writes or says "doesn't sound like" or "sounds like," the reasonable assumption is that "to me" is implied. It's practically a foregone conclusion. It's impossible for me to sincerely assert "sounds like 'Ellen'" as an absolute. It can only "sound like Ellen" to me. To you it may sound like "Alan." It may sound like "progeria." If that line of dialogue were to sound like "progeria" to you I could likely speculate with a fairly high degree of confidence you've got some sort of aphasic pathology going on there. But I could not fairly assert that it doesn't *sound like* "progeria" *to you.*

    p.s. If you're wondering why I'm bothering with this, how in the world I think it's worth my time when I know exactly how you'll take it, it's not for now, it's for later. You won't get it NOW, but someday, God knows when, you may remember this exchange and you'll get it, and then, yeah, it'll have been worth my time. Or not, but I suppose I'm in an Anne Frank sort of mood this morning.

  24. #74
    Power Member
    Dave-The-Rave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Age
    25
    Posts
    17,072
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    36,662 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I stayed up to 5am this morning and completed it, the story was incredibly engaging and I would definitely rank it higher than Heavy Rain. Just the difference between scenes was incredible! One minute you're a little kid, the next you are on the run from the law, in the middle of the desert or walking through a blizzard. I really really loved it and I'll be getting the platinum as well like I did with Heavy Rain.

    I really enjoyed their take on the stealth segments too, running from cover to cover without being seen, and the way they used Aiden too was very good.

    Ending spoilers..



    EDIT: Just seen that apparently this game is getting a lot of mixed reviews..I've been off the net for the past week or so..didn't realise. Just want people to know that this game has several branching off points by the end of the game and the ending seems to vary quite a bit depending on your choices. I personally can't wait to see the other ways the story can end. I love the Thriller/Sci-Fi/Spiritual storyline in this game!
    Last edited by Dave-The-Rave; 10-13-2013 at 16:01.
    Trophy-licious!


    3DS: 3754-7606-9595

  25. #75
    Superior Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Posts
    617
    Rep Power
    16
    Points
    8,484 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    One minute you're a little kid, the next you are on the run from the law, in the middle of the desert or walking through a blizzard.
    That's one of the things getting knocked by critics: chronologically nonlinear narrative. But I liked it told that way. Without it, you'd get a lot of interesting backstory with a few thriller moments but mostly rote almost purely expository sequences. This way QD could do backstory and intense action sequences, back and forth. They only lost me one place, briefly toward the end, where I thought I was at the I was by then continually moving forward in the narrative but I wasn't quite sure. Again, though, I was at the point and my confusion was short-lived. And I think it had more to do with where they stuck "prologue" on the load screen timeline than how they actually told the story segments.

    Per your spoiler,

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.