Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I actually really liked how the story bounced around the timeline and it was pretty easy to tell when everything took place because the loading screen shows the timeline.

I honestly don't expect a sequel though.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    I actually really liked how the story bounced around the timeline and it was pretty easy to tell when everything took place because the loading screen shows the timeline. I honestly don't expect a sequel though.
    Well given Quantic Dreams stance on sequels I dont expect a sequel either. http://www.gamespot.com/articles/why.../1100-6407660/

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    That is in fact my whole point. When someone makes an assertion and you defy that assertion, turns out you're right and the individual specifically declares you're right and he's wrong, take that. For one, you won't get it much in life and you won't get it at all if you don't learn how to take it graciously. People often hang onto their incorrect assumptions like no tomorrow. In the face of undisguised condescension they always will. This was a binary proposition, you're right or you're wrong. You were right. I so stated. There are no shades or grades here. You were right. You can't be MORE right on this one.

Lastly, as to certain words and phrases in casual usage, when someone writes or says "doesn't sound like" or "sounds like," the reasonable assumption is that "to me" is implied. It's practically a foregone conclusion. It's impossible for me to sincerely assert "sounds like 'Ellen'" as an absolute. It can only "sound like Ellen" to me. To you it may sound like "Alan." It may sound like "progeria." If that line of dialogue were to sound like "progeria" to you I could likely speculate with a fairly high degree of confidence you've got some sort of aphasic pathology going on there. But I could not fairly assert that it doesn't *sound like* "progeria" *to you.*

p.s. If you're wondering why I'm bothering with this, how in the world I think it's worth my time when I know exactly how you'll take it, it's not for now, it's for later. You won't get it NOW, but someday, God knows when, you may remember this exchange and you'll get it, and then, yeah, it'll have been worth my time. Or not, but I suppose I'm in an Anne Frank sort of mood this morning.
    Wow u seem awefully hung up on this

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
    u seem awefully
    qed

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Is it normal to have such an emotional attatchment to a game? I keep thinking about Jodie and the story and I already miss it. I think I have a crush on Ellen Page now.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    Is it normal to have such an emotional attatchment to a game? I keep thinking about Jodie and the story and I already miss it. I think I have a crush on Ellen Page now.
    I felt the same.

Y0ur L1vEs ARE NoW 0Ver Y0u ba5T4RD5..wH4t You D0 w1Th Y0uR nEw L1V3s iS foR mE +O d3C1D3...W3ll tH4Ts th3 th30rY 4nyWAys

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I felt the same.

Same, the story just sucked me right in..there was a lot of feels packed into a day or so worth of gameplay. I won't feel quite right deviating from my personal storyline for the trophies.
    Trophy-licious!

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Ellen Page is 80% the reason I wanted this game
    ..Still need to get on it, but Im glad to see more folks are loving the story. So many people told me the story sucks Ive been really hesitant to open it.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I don't think a lot of reviewers quite get the story, they say that the jumping around disconnects you and makes no sense, then the choices you make has no changes - I've found this nonsense as there are plenty of times that I've noticed you making a choice near the start of the game and she does an acting at a much later stage depending on her past experiences.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I don't think a lot of reviewers quite get the story, they say that the jumping around disconnects you and makes no sense, then the choices you make has no changes - I've found this nonsense as there are plenty of times that I've noticed you making a choice near the start of the game and she does an acting at a much later stage depending on her past experiences.
    BioShock Infinite, which reviewed far better, responds hardly at all, if at all, to player choice. Dishonored, which was heavily pitched and heavily lauded for its "play your way" architecture, essentially boils down to awarding trophies for style of play. And it's a cramping little twerp about it at that. I played no-kill and late in the game I dispossessed a guard in the water and he drowned and I got a kill for the chapter. I went back and replayed that chapter, but later I got another kill that must have been a couple chapters back, I hadn't noticed, and I did not replay that. Best I can tell, I shot a guard with a sleep bolt, he fell off a roof and that killed him, although guards otherwise fell from heights all the time and got up and started shooting at me. That's an "open play experience?" For one the optional play style is merely for a trophy and for another, it's not open, it's tightly constrained and the rules of those constraints are poorly described beforehand.

The Beyond demo played three times, the events come out three different ways, between my son and I, without either one of us actually trying to change the outcome. The thing is, in any narrative game even with multiple endings, it's got to come out one of a relatively few ways in primary ending, with some mutable secondary and tertiary outcomes. In order to achieve one of those primary ends, during the game you have to reach one of very few plot milestones and they have to resolve one of a very few ways. In some cases you have to reach an absolute milestone it has to come out an absolute way. Nobody complained about this in Uncharted 2, so I don't know why it's such a big deal here.

It may be about as simple as this: Critics are handed a much-hyped game and what it really is a fun but brick-brained shooter and it's pretty well expected to get a slightly above average review but instead critics spin it as high art, to be unique and get particular attention. Except they all try to be different the same way so something like Bulletstorm turns into the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. I remember reading a review, I believe it was an Edge review, of Gears of War 2 that made the whole game seem like it was an epic poem written in classical style. By contrast, hand them a game that's hyped as high art, and for the same reasons I've mentioned, they write it up as a fumbling, cluttered attempt to bend genres devoid of a story worthy of the gameplay tradeoffs.

It's a game people. You either like it or you love it or hate it. Despite Roger Ebert's poor reputation among gamers for running his mouth about games without really knowing much about games, that's one thing I loved about Ebert. If a movie was nothing special but merely a lot fun to see, he'd say so and give it a thumbs up. Ebert was a serious maven of the cinematic arts, of course, right, but he'd bear hug a movie just because it made him laugh or put him on the edge of his seat, no matter how trite the plot and cookie-cutter the characters.

The thing about Beyond is that the story is nothing new or innovative. It borrows heavily not only from classic plot themes in science fiction but also from contemporary darlings of horror fiction, paranormal fiction, science fiction and even to a limited degree, urban fantasy. The plot isn't even particularly unique to a game. But it's very well acted, competently told, engaging, has some truly outstanding scenes worth getting through the expository slow parts. It's an always good game that's sometimes great, though never truly brilliant. Critics seem more intent on telling everyone it's not really a game than sincerely reviewing the experience as a whole. It comes in a PS3 game case and right there on the box it says game and there is in fact substantial interactivity and some of it does alter the course of the plot to some degree and I guess that's good enough for me.

And I've written elsewhere but I'll write again, the chronological nonlinearity is a nonissue as it was the only way to do this story as a game. Anybody really want to spend 3 or 4 hours right up front playing a small child, a tween and a teenager, throwing stuff around rooms? No, I didn't think so. Apparently Quantic Dream didn't think so, either, and knew they had to interweave compelling and relatively significant action sequences into the early hours of gameplay.

If had to review this game and I had to give it a score on a scale of 10, the experience as a whole I would've given it a 9 and explained it would've have been a 10 save for some part where it was obviously written to lean heavily in a certain direction but gave the player the choice leaning way in the other direction and because there were too few available branches later on resulted in some late game scenes lacking consonance with how I played. To wit:

Last edited by sanfordmay; 10-14-2013 at 15:24.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    I'm surprised there isn't more discussion on this game, it is after all one of this year's biggest PS3 exclusives alongside TLOU IMO.
    Trophy-licious!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    I hope it sells well

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I hope it sells well

I have a feeling it's going to sell mediocre....so, I know it's trivial, but I went to Ellen Page's twitter page and sent her a tweet telling her that I loved the game and thanks for doing it.

Every little thing counts sometimes.

First time I have been on twitter in.....at least a year and a half....so the game did something right.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    I have a feeling it's going to sell mediocre....so, I know it's trivial, but I went to Ellen Page's twitter page and sent her a tweet telling her that I loved the game and thanks for doing it.

Every little thing counts sometimes.

First time I have been on twitter in.....at least a year and a half....so the game did something right.
    I read somewhere, maybe here, it broke the top 5 in the UK. I don't know what it's up against besides FIFA and GTA V, but in the top 5 can't be too bad.

It's a highly discussable game but it's probably just people's time constraints. I played it in two days and have been writing up a storm about it here because I'm starting this project and I was stuck for ideas. This afternoon I finally got unstuck and got a lot of work done, so though the game has dominated a lot of my thinking since last week, now it'll just be one of those games I played and enjoyed. Though it's possibly playing it and writing about playing it can be at least in small part credited for unsticking me.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Is this game anything like Heavy Rain? (I haven't even followed it at all and have no idea what it is about)

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    TheSixPaths
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Is this game anything like Heavy Rain? (I haven't even followed it at all and have no idea what it is about)
    Yes its like heavy rain, go to youtube and look up some trailers to see what its about.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    I literally cannot understand how people found this game good. It had redeeming qualities, but man the story was so poorly written, many chapters were totally unnecessary, and i could not bring myself to care about Ellen Paige's character or any of the love interests. I think David Cage has some good ideas, but he desperately needs someone to come in and separate the good ideas from the bad.
    Contributing Writer @ PSU | Amateur Games Journalist | Internet Media Guy

Tumblr Blogs: Josh Likes Games | Coffee and Controllers | Follow me on Twitter
    Spooky Mobley's Conspiracy Corner | Pixel Power Art

18. Likes patthebaker321 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    That review pretty much sums up exactly how I felt about the game.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I feel like the game only jumped around because most of the early stuff would seem boring to the average player. Also the story didn't make sense. There was no clear goal throughout the entire game, and once they did present something with the infraworld, I just didn't care anymore. I feel like people want to say beyond is amazing because it's doing something different. I hate to break it to people but being different doesn't mean that it's good. I literally let action scenes play out some times and even though I'm being beat to death the story continues, it literally didn't matter if I messed up. At least in Heavy Rain there were consequences, the story changed if I made an error. Also there aren't any choices until the end of the game. They basically give you some choices at the very end and basically ask "how do you want this train wreck to end?"

I didn't care about Jody at all. I wanted to like her, I really did but I just couldn't bring myself to care. She just seemed stale. I liked Willem Dafoe until the very end, his character took a complete 180 that made no sense. All of a sudden he's this evil figure, it was just dumb.

Also that absolute ending? What was all that about?! It was like they wanted to have this cool twist where you say "oh man a sequel" but it felt forced. Also the twist near the end was incredibly predictable.

I think people are disregarding the massive problems this game has just because it's pretty, has well known actors, and David Cage wrote it. Nobody seems to be able to see the forest from the trees.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I thought the story made sense just fine.

And I think for the most part it was just a story. The life of someone with this ability. There doesn't always have to be a set goal like "save the planet" or "save the princess"....sometimes it's jut nice to take the ride.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmobley View Post
    I literally cannot understand how people found this game good. It had redeeming qualities, but man the story was so poorly written, many chapters were totally unnecessary, and i could not bring myself to care about Ellen Paige's character or any of the love interests. I think David Cage has some good ideas, but he desperately needs someone to come in and separate the good ideas from the bad.
    That's what editors are for. You either hire a writer like Alex Garland to do your game story, a guy who's had enough experience with professional editors of novels and scripts to edit himself with some skill, or you deal with the fact that there are now bona fide professional games writers but there aren't really professional games writing editors.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmobley View Post
    I feel like the game only jumped around because most of the early stuff would seem boring to the average player. ... I literally let action scenes play out some times and even though I'm being beat to death the story continues, it literally didn't matter if I messed up."
    That's exactly why the narrative jumps around. And not to the average player boring, to about anyone boring. But it's a valid narrative device and a valid choice. The fact you don't like it is also valid. Not everyone likes everything the same.

As for sequence fails not influencing narrative, there are SUBSTANTIAL changes in events, some of which at the end of the game are matters of life and death for some characters, based upon what you do in the game. I get you didn't like it. That's fine. But that every major element of the story and end wind up the same no matter how you played is just flat wrong.

Obviously I liked it, and tend to agree with Locomotive's assertions that it's just a story. Just an entertaining story. Like a reasonably well written novel that pulled me in over a weekend. It doesn't have to be anything else. It's not high art. I wouldn't even call much of what happens in the whole game twists. Though the big twist in BioShock didn't exactly floor me, either. I caught on to almost all of it and the supporting elements I couldn't have told you outright weren't at all surprising in context of the so-called twist. It was a nice big stretch for games writing and remarkable for that, but for fiction in general, enjoyable but pretty predictable, nothing new here, move long.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    pacpunk
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    But that every major element of the story and end wind up the same no matter how you played is just flat wrong.
    Not really, there were only a few choices in the whole game and they didn't really impact the overall plot. Sure I get to choose who to go with, I get t choose if I live or die but it's all at the end. It would be different if something I did in one chapter negatively or positively affected something in another chapter but from what I see that isn't the case.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Just finished it with all endings. This definitely is the biggest surprise of the year for me. I completely hated Heavy Rain but i really enjoyed this game. Was a little confused with what happened when even when they showed it on the timeline between stories. 8/10 I am now excited to see what David Cage does on the PS4.
    Last edited by HellsJester; 10-18-2013 at 07:40.

Thread Information