Latest PSU headlines:

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room

Need help finding a couple of games for an adolescent.

Long story short: I need about 1500 points on my Gamestop account to get a $10 coupon. I want to use that for buying BF4. My girlfriend has a kid that has a PS3 and I figured I could help her out with her Xmas shopping by buying him a couple of games and at the same time get me some points.

I just recently upgraded my account so I have a buy 2 get 1 free used game coupon.

I already gave him my inFamous game and thats about as "adult" as I wanna go. He's 10 but very smart and he's played WOW and Halo before, so something like inFamous is fine.

Nothing like GTA or anything, lol.

One game I thought might be kinda neat was Enslaved. Is it any good?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    For starters age 10 years isn't even an adolescent, so clear everything with the girlfriend before handing it over. Enslaved is good, and I think if he's playing inFamous probably no content conflicts there. Either or both of the Darksiders games. Thematically dark and mature in places but generally devoid of the usual controversial game content. Any Uncharted game probably also okay.

It's hard figuring what's okay for other people's kids. Everyone has different standards for what's acceptable content for their children. Some it's sexual situations, some violence, some gore, some horror themes, some drug or alcohol use.

So, like I mentioned, maybe Enslaved and Darksiders II. But beware, any game can go south on you. Your girlfriend may have similar standards to you, but no doubt this kid has a daddy. He may never see daddy. Daddy could have gone out for a pack of cigarettes eight years ago and got lost coming home. But if the boy sees his father and his father has a substantial role in his life then his father is going to have his own set of rules and expectations for the media his son consumes. Ergo, the safest path is not to buy the child any game that is not rated for ages 10 and under. And depending on what type of guy daddy is, even LittleBigPlanet could get you pilloried.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Firstly, I would recommend Enslaved, it'd be extremely cheap and I enjoyed it immensely. There's a few little niggles but a 10-year-old probably wouldn't be as critical as some have been. :3 Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction would be another cost-effective idea; Portal 2 would be interesting; LittleBigPlanet's a fabulous one as well!

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

4. Likes Kwes wishes they had posted this first.
    Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Enslaved is great yes and not TOO inappropriate. Maybe on youtube check out

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
    Devil May Cry 4 (the new one DmC is restricted, this one is about as harsh as inFamous, maybe a little bloodier)
    Burnout Paradise
    Mirrors Edge
    Portal 2

InFamous 2 is also great!

EDIT: lol, shockwave didn't even see your post with similar titles. Great minds.
    Last edited by DarkVincent07; 10-09-2013 at 14:31.

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

6. Likes Kwes wishes they had posted this first.
    Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Enslaved is great yes and not TOO inappropriate. Maybe on youtube check out

Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction
    Devil May Cry 4 (the new one DmC is restricted, this one is about as harsh as inFamous, maybe a little bloodier)
    Burnout Paradise
    Mirrors Edge
    Portal 2

InFamous 2 is also great!

EDIT: lol, shockwave didn't even see your post with similar titles. Great minds.
    I 2nd these with a passion!

Especially portal 2, its simple, constructive, and good for building up some logical thinking. I'd even say get portal 1 as well.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Definitely clear it with her first. You don't want her pissed off for buying him a Rate M video game even though he's played it before. My Son, who's 11 isn't allowed to play rated M video games but when he goes over to his friends house they play them anyway. So just because he's played them doesn't mean he's allowed to play/own them.

I'd agree with Burnout Paradise, Mirrors Edge and Portal 2. Those are all games that wouldn't make a 10yr old feel like your treating them like a kid.

A bit more mature and violent but still T rated are. Batman Arkham City, All the Uncharted Games, Infamous 1 & 2.

One thing you could do is take him to the store and try to figure out what non-M rated games he's interested in.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Portal 2 was a great idea guys....I'm going to get him that and inFamous 2. I already gave him my copy of the first inFamous and he loves it.

But I did clear it with his mom...I told her I was going to help her out on buying him some games and I've been showing her reviews of said games just as a check.

So far my choices are:

inFamous 2
    Batman: AA
    Portal 2
    Uncharted 2
    Enslaved

Not sure which ones to choose.....

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Oh definitely Batman: AA. Based on my own 9-year-old son, 7 and 8 at the time he started playing these, Batman: AA and, from my experience with him, Portal 2. All the others he's tried and played and enjoyed to some degree but Batman: AA he's played like 5 times and same with Batman: AC, and madly looking forward to Batman: AO for Christmas, even though it's farmed out to another studio. Portal 2 is the one he's spent the second most time with on that list, but I'd call that a tossup as most of that's been the split-screen co-op levels with his younger brother. If he loved inFamous I don't think you can go wrong with its sequel, and also consider even for a bright kid, without the co-op goofing around element, Portal 2 puzzles can be frustrating. Of course if he's cool with looking up hints and walkthroughs on the Internet then Portal 2 is no problem; he can always walkthrough the puzzles he can't figure out. Though I was surprised, having myself played Portal 2, how many of the single player puzzles my son got on his own. Overall Portal 2 is designed to engage your head, but there's comic relief and it's not designed to get DualShocks thrown at the wall. Which is a good thing with younger gamers.

PSU Live Streamer
    3d Dot Game heroes if you think he'd like a Zelda-esque type game.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Portal 2 you can play co-op with players on PC.

Wipeout fury - the most slick game ever created. Should be cheap since its a couple years old now.

Last edited by keefy; 10-09-2013 at 20:51.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I went with Portal 2, Infamous 2 and Batman.

Those seemed like well rounded games.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

14. Likes sanfordmay, DarkVincent07 wishes they had posted this first.
    Superior Member
    Sly Cooper and Puppeteer.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Get him:

Fallout 3
    Fallout New Vegas
    Duke Nukem
    Mortal Kombat
    Manhunt

All very family friendly games for all ages to play!

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    I went with Portal 2, Infamous 2 and Batman.

Those seemed like well rounded games.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
    Great choices mate. And like Taz said, they are games that a 10 year old would like without feel like being babied

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Thread Information