Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Planning On Using An Existing Headset With A PS4? Read This

Yesterday, we received a note from Astro Gaming (whom we've recently spoken with about next-gen audio) indicating that their headsets will work for chat on the PlayStation 4… just not right away. This prompted us to dig a little deeper and find out what gaming headset owners can expect on

November 15.
    The answer we received from Sony is complicated. If you have a Sony-branded PULSE gaming headset (or the elite edition of that product), you will need to wait for a system update coming in the future. It seems that those will not work at all at launch.

Any other headset that relies on bluetooth for chat will not work at all. If you have something that relies on USB for chat (like the Astro mixamps and Astro A50 wireless system), you'll eventually be able to use those. An update will be coming in the future.

Any headset that relies on digital optical for game audio will continue to provide that out of the box. You just won't be able to chat yet.
    The situation is similar for the Xbox One. The connector on the controller is completely different, and until Microsoft delivers the adapter it has promised, you won't be able chat using legacy devices.

Both the Xbox One and PlayStation
    4 will come with a headset in the box, and there's always the option to use the Kinect as a microphone (but if you have dogs or kids, please don't).

Our Take
    While it's good that these headsets will eventually work, it's a shame that both platform holders won't be ready to support them at launch. Gaming headsets are significant investments that can cost hundreds of dollars.

I know that technology moves on and changes are required to improve the overall experience. That doesn't make me any happier that my $300 headset won't work with my new consoles right away.
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...read-this.aspx

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I'd like to see the actual wording the Sony used.

I always question their interpretation when they don't quote the wording, but it sounds like the USB Chat is not working out of the box. This based on the fact the Pulse/Pulse Elite use USB Audio for Chat (to the Dongle and it's wireless between headset and dongle.) This coupled with the comment If you have something that relies on USB for chat (like the Astro mixamps and Astro A50 wireless system), you'll eventually be able to use those. Leads me to believe it's a USB Audio Chat related concern.

Funny how they mentioned Kinect can be used as a microphone and failed to mention the PS4 Eye could be used as a microphone, which it can, and so could the PS3 Eye.

EDIT: I'm hoping to hear something about the damn EXT port that's next to the 3.5mm Jack, and I don't want to hear it's for power charging, look here's a pic of it in a charger plugged into the back. There are 8 pins for edge connector type interface, you wouldn't put that many on there for a simple charging (though charging could easily be an easy secondary functionality.) I'm expecting it to be a port used for a wireless to controller/wired to headset full sound + chat (7.1 + Chat) headset.

I just wish Sony would actually say something about it.
    Last edited by TAZ427; 10-10-2013 at 14:46.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    So I have to wait a long time for a update just so I can use the pulse? Why don't they just have it where it can work since day 1? This is stupid.

4. Likes Hulious777 wishes they had posted this first.

PSN ID
    andrewds
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    EDIT: I'm hoping to hear something about the damn EXT port that's next to the 3.5mm Jack, and I don't want to hear it's for power charging, look here's a pic of it in a charger plugged into the back. There are 8 pins for edge connector type interface, you wouldn't put that many on there for a simple charging (though charging could easily be an easy secondary functionality.) I'm expecting it to be a port used for a wireless to controller/wired to headset full sound + chat (7.1 + Chat) headset.

I just wish Sony would actually say something about it.
    The ext on ps4? Sure that's the connection for the PS eye camera

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by adougies View Post
    The ext on ps4? Sure that's the connection for the PS eye camera
    I'm not talking about the AUX port on the back of the PS4, I'm talking about the EXT port on the controller.

I'm hoping to hear something about the damn EXT port that's next to the 3.5mm Jack, and I don't want to hear it's for power charging, look here's a pic of it in a charger plugged into the back. There are 8 pins for edge connector type interface, you wouldn't put that many on there for a simple charging (though charging could easily be an easy secondary functionality.) I'm expecting it to be a port used for a wireless to controller/wired to headset full sound + chat (7.1 + Chat) headset.

Nothing to do with back of PS4.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quick update was posted to this original Article

Update: Turtle Beach's Dave Lowey tells IGN, "The new Turtle Beach PX4 wireless surround sound headset is compatible with the PlayStation 4 console, at launch, right out of the box. The headset will be widely available in stores in time for the PlayStation 4 launch. The XP510 and PX51 wireless headsets that were introduced earlier this year will also be fully compatible in the same manner."

- http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/10/...-ps4-at-launch

Looks like some will actually be compatible.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Wierd stuff.. My official PS3 headset won't work with PS4 out of the box.

Wishlist: inFAMOUS, SotC 2, Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2, next Obsidian Fallout, Fallout 4, Project Eternity, ND's PS4 game
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    This actually truly pisses me off.

I was told that the Pulse brand headsets would work with the PS4....so I bought one and now I have no way of hearing my PS4 except through the shitty HDTV speakers which are not clear and sound as if the slightest noise will make them bust.

To be honest...I'm sure there are reasons behind why they can't make the Pulse headsets work right away....but I don't see how this can't be done now....or right after launch.

"in the future" is such a broad statement....god only knows when they will implement the fix.

10. Likes Sufi wishes they had posted this first.
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    This is a bit ridiculous. Many people bought the pulse headset and they can't use it day one. Come on Sony.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Extreme Poster
    wow really? not even the wireless ones? Sony being bitches again lol. i guess i'll stick with the PS3 until they have it all sorted out. not going to buy another headphone.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I'd really like to hear the words from Sony's mouth, which we've only heard what Game Informer is saying that Sony said, w/o a direct quotation from Sony.

Assuming Game Informer has it right. I don't see why Sony wouldn't be able to fix this between now and Launch. I'm sure there's plenty of items they've caught between the time they went into production and now, but all launch units would ship with the OS build at the beginning of production, then they'd provide a system wide update available day one for DL.

This would be something I'd expect them to put high up on the list to fix, right behind any critical bugs that may have been found since production start.

Extreme Poster
    i hope you're right.
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    I'd really like to hear the words from Sony's mouth, which we've only heard what Game Informer is saying that Sony said, w/o a direct quotation from Sony.

Assuming Game Informer has it right. I don't see why Sony wouldn't be able to fix this between now and Launch. I'm sure there's plenty of items they've caught between the time they went into production and now, but all launch units would ship with the OS build at the beginning of production, then they'd provide a system wide update available day one for DL.

This would be something I'd expect them to put high up on the list to fix, right behind any critical bugs that may have been found since production start.

Thread Information