Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Vote of Confidence

A few months back major changes occurred on the forum. We saw the dismissal of our long time CM, the appointment of a new one after a long and tedious "panel" screening process. We saw many staff members leave as a result, and new ones appointment, and several from a member to Admin status. Since these changes occurred what has been accomplished? Where are the promises that were brought forward? Has the community improved?

I am not trying to start a flame war towards the staff. I am all for mature posting and great discussion for those who are familiar with me on the forum. From the statistics I have gathered our forum numbers are on a steady decline, and with next gen a mere month away that is bad news. Since the new CM has been appointed the staff have done virtually nothing to build the community or reward the current members for their loyalty to the forum. We still have simple forum issues that have gone unresolved, lack of community involvement, and no new ideas being implement to build our image. Months ago I voluntarily gave a list of simple forum implementations to better our community and NONE of them were used. Were they considered? I am not sure, but I know from experience they could be implemented with ease.

I will say I was on-board with change all those months ago. I welcomed it, and hungered for it. My thought process was simple, change is good as at that time I truly believed it was necessary. But the major question remains, WHAT has become of it?

I now find my ability to partake in the forum increasingly difficult as frankly there isn't much to participate in. Now this is where I want the current staff to come in and prove me wrong. Show me the details that speak volumes to us all that the changing of the CM and staff have benefited the forums. Show the numbers.

The community SPEAKS VOLUMES.

8 years and counting!

2. Likes Cuguy likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post

I now find my ability to partake in the forum increasingly difficult as frankly there isn't much to participate in. Now this is where I want the current staff to come in and prove me wrong. Show me the details that speak volumes to us all that the changing of the CM and staff have benefited the forums. Show the numbers.

The community SPEAKS VOLUMES.
    Your post reminds me of this scene for some reason.

I agree though. Hardly anything has changed.

4. Likes PS4THEWIN, claud3, Cuguy , Justin likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Well i am happy with the way things are and will not get dragged into a place, were i get cornered
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    1. They finally banned a long time troll, which lets be honest if old Cm was here would never have happened
    2. We are free to discuss the staff. the previous staff never let that happen. This thread is an example. Before the threads would get deleted.
    3. We have a GTA and FFXIV sub section and there will be many more to come with Planetside 2, Deep Down, Destiny, etc.
    4. You say at a decline but I am enjoy the forums now then ever. i see more people freely talking. So maybe it is quality over quantity.
    5. You say you find it hard to partake. I am assuming you mean finding topics of interest. I say create a topic that interest you. there is lots to participate in but maybe it is stuff that does not interest you so make some topics that do.
    6. Finally lets be honest aside from GTA this a big dead time till next month. i fully expect next month forums to be popin with people as we will have a crap load of questions, suggestions, etc.
    7. We got you tube channel, bugs have been fixed (vb shop most noticeable one), and things running smoothly.

I wont beat the dead horse of the old CM and his team. This new CM and team is extremely better than old one and the fact that people can make threads like this and not get stealth banned, topics deleted as if it was never there is proof.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I guess change or no change, does not suit everyone... I believe over time things will improve for those that think it is not so now
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Not catering to the minority any longer is enough to get my vote.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

9. Likes sainraja , Wrath , mistercrow, Demi_God likes this post
    YouTube Editor
    Simple question. What has been done to spark the community? Remember, just a few months back it was brought forward that our community was crumbling so major changes were implemented. Since then has anything improved? And the answer is NO.

We have a GTA and FFXIV sub section and there will be many more to come with Planetside 2, Deep Down, Destiny, etc.
    Going to use this as one of your points to showcase the staff have bettered the community? You have to be joking with this one. Sub forums have been a part of this community for as long as I can remember. They take a few clicks to implement, nothing more.

8 years and counting!

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    2. We are free to discuss the staff. the previous staff never let that happen. This thread is an example. Before the threads would get deleted.
    -They still need to work on responses. Look at Blacksites thread title colour thread.

3. We have a GTA and FFXIV sub section and there will be many more to come with Planetside 2, Deep Down, Destiny, etc.
    -Didnt we always get sub sections for the most talked about games?

7. We got you tube channel, bugs have been fixed (vb shop most noticeable one), and things running smoothly.
    -Correct me if Im wrong but I dont think the CM had anything to do with that. Dont think its fair to take praise away from those that did it otherwise.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    FarCry4DragonAge3DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

12. Likes Justin likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Okay, here is a question. How was the forum before? When I was roaming around here before the so called forum change, there wasn't anything done. the trolls were rampant and there was a lot of stealth trolling going around under cuguy. Now Cuguy can thumbs down all he wants but personally, he didn't do much at all to counter trolling. in fact, I didn't see anything done at that time. Right now I'm seeing more people coming in, newer people coming in. I find it to be much better.

14. Likes sainraja , Wrath , Christopher likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    i really have to agree with demi-god, i didn't know how it was before but other then some of the trolling that has gone on here (which is EVERY forum regardless) i think this website is pretty decent

YouTube Editor
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    Okay, here is a question. How was the forum before?
    Sadly it was basically the same as we see now, hence why MAJOR changes occurred. When these changes occurred we were promised many new and wonderful things, and for a short period of time things were truly looking up for the community. However, once again everything has remained the same, and many promises never saw fruition.

8 years and counting!

17. Likes Cuguy likes this post
    General Manager
    PSN ID
    jonnyvito
    Items 3d dot game heroes3d dot game heroesUser name styleMove360 SlimVitaLightningNaughty DogPlayStation
    PSU as a site is in the best shape it's ever been in terms of its future. That does include the forums too and if things continue going to plan we'll be moving totally away from Vbulletin to something better.

I have held Alex back somewhat with changes and improvements he wants to make. That's partly because of having to prioritize things like site bugs and fixes ready for next-gen. There's a lot of this stuff happened on PSU over the last three months.

Also because Vbulletin is insecure. We're concerned that some of the plugins etc that are wanted will cause further security holes. We've recently had a huge one that took the site down for over 24 hours. Adding to Vbulletin could be a major problem. However, smaller things will be addressed after the other major site issues are dealt with.

However, if you're referring to Alex's general lack of involvement and you believe that to be so then we should let Alex address this post.

Justin...what changes did you recommend? And I'd love to look at your stats if you have them to hand?

Some stats - The forums contribute around 100,000 visitors a month to PSU. That's around 10 percent of traffic. This has been the worse summer ever for gaming sites. I know that for a fact. All numbers have been on the decline. This is the result of a generation ending and a new one beginning.

The forum does need an injection of pizazz for sure, but I've got full faith in Alex to help make that happen.

Also...I don't think there's any point referring back to CuGuy any more. He's now a member of the forums and not CM. Any issues now should be directed toward Alex. That's really only fair.
    DUST 514 name: swillw /Corporation PSU Ghost Syndicate

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm sorry if anyone is disappointed with how things are at the moment. My appointment as CM coincided with an unfortunate and successive series of technical failures that started about 2-3 week after my appointment. This was the death of the laptop I bought 5 years ago when I came to Vienna. I knew it was on it's last legs as watching a simple Youtube video made it sound like a jet engine. One day it just wouldn't switch on. For the new month I only had super minimal access as the guy in the adjacent apartment was kind enough to let me borrow his laptop. Majority of the time I could borrow it each night was used to do the lesson plans for my job (english teacher/trainer). I was quiet in the forums but made sure I checked in with my team and saw how things were going. He's studying engineering at the uni here so the fact that I was able to borrow his laptop was a huge gesture on my part and asmuch as I would have loved to get stuck in at PSU with my plans, I simply had to usemost the time doing what I had to do as a teacher. Another friend offered to lend me is older secondary laptop and so I was fully operational until the hard drive died, followed by the ac adapter a week later.

It has been an extremely stressful time for me as I am severly stunted without net access for many reasons. I had intended to be much further along with things than I had hoped to be. Now with those technological barriers behind me I am moving forward with things...so here's where I'm at:

Part of my pitch plans included clan gaming. It is my vision that PSU plays host to communal gaming where members and lurkrs can find a place not only to read news and discuss games but also to play them together. DUST 514 was my prototype and this and was a reasonable success but it showed me that creating a meaningful clan experience is A LOT tougher than I thought if you want to offer more than a group of people to play with (and D514 is a SUPER niche game that is still ealr yin development which made it hard). I'm currently working with the FFXIV community here at PSU to build up both a forum community and a gaming community in game, and figuring ways to link the two. One of my trials is a sort of forum achievement thread where people can get recognition for in-game milestones. Organising clans is something I have no experience in and it has been an exercise in trial and error. When I talked of communal gaming in my pitch I didn't mean "a friends list ofPSU gamers" but deep and event filled clans that would match what other long time clans are offering. With a whole load of F2P gamescoming to PSU,many of which are multiplayer, I figured it would be interesting to try and develop communities for those games at PSU seeing as there's no entry barrier.

I know that communal gaming isn't for everyone but that's just how it is. The writing community also isn't for everyone but is nonetheless part of the vision I had for the site. My work on the writing stuff died with the HDD in this borrowed laptop so I have to draft that stuff up again.

While some of these creative plans were slow to get started, there have been many positive changes at the site that aren't obvious. When I came on as CM Chris stepped up and offered his services as a tech advisor at the site. His experience with web technology has enabled him to do a tonne of work around the site, fixing a lot of stuff that has been broken for years.

I love PSU and I am very grateful to have been given the honor of the CM role and I see it as a possible career path to explore so I'm looking at ways to increase my skill set, including taking a few courses at coursra.org that I believe will further develop me for this role. I am an extremely flexible person, willing to listen, adapt and change if thse things are condusive to the betterment of the site...including, Justin, your idea of having a section where upcoming PlayStation releases can have Official Threads which include a truckload of info similar to the OTs that you get at neoGAF. I never discarded this idea when you brought it up, just with my tech issues it wasn't something I could give the attention I wanted to give it.

Unless there is a huge outcry from the community, or Steven finds someone who can better serve the site as CM, I will be here, rain or shine, doing what I can to fulfill the vision I laid forth. I am sorry if I have disappointed anyone so far, I know many of you love this place and want to see it grow and we can work together to make this happen...with regular net access again things can get rolling again. I have received a lot of positive feedback from members here too, and have seen a lot of old and new faces so it can't be all THAT bad.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    @Ghost you have nothing to say sorry for... You are a great CM

21. Likes StevenW , mistercrow likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Thanks claud, I appreciate it.

23. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    I second that. We've seen some major trolls finally being dealt with and one even removed and the general mood of the forum seems alot lighter with better discussions. Also like others have said I've been seeing alot more new members joining up and being active posters. So I think Ghost has already improved this forum greatly. Also when I had certain long time technical problems with the site the current tech team really helped me out and solved my problems. The previous staff basically told me I would just have to #deal with it. So youre doing a great job Ghost.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I don't think there is just Ghost out there who have will to improve this forum. Lots in here clearly love to be here and wish this forum to go further with next gen. So if anyone has somekind of plans to improve community and gaining new members, stating them here in public, will reach all the good guys, I see them here everyday. That way your thoughts will be much more affective. I am sure they will in someways. I personally really wish to listen what you gotta say. I am much of a stalker than a poster (thanks to my english ) , but even I have some weird liking towards reading everyones posts, especially after Ghost has his role as a CM.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

26. Likes StevenW likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    Thanks claud, I appreciate it.
    You are welcome friend...

Ultimate Veteran
    You guys should really be more grateful that Cuguy's team, including myself and other ex-staff members spent countless hours keeping the forums clean and addressing your concerns. Even if we had no updates sometimes, we at least responded. And I don't know who Yuuichi is speaking of but I've personally very rarely deleted any threads, opting to close them instead when things got out of hand. We might not have been perfect but don't talk about us like we never gave a damn.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

29. Likes 33x , BBK.. , -Dj- , Cuguy likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm happy to let people discuss the state of the forums as I love feedback but only if it regards the present so please let's not take this into an old team/new team discussion please. If people wish to take the discussion there, please take it to PM.

31. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    You guys should really be more grateful that Cuguy's team, including myself and other ex-staff members spent countless hours keeping the forums clean and addressing your concerns. Even if we had no updates sometimes, we at least responded. And I don't know who Yuuichi is speaking of but I've personally very rarely deleted any threads, opting to close them instead when things got out of hand. We might not have been perfect but don't talk about us like we never gave a damn.
    Let me be clear. When I talk about cuguys team it excludes you because you did do a good job. Mainly i refer to a group of 3-5 peps and anyone seeing how unfairly the bans and warning wherr given a while ago know who I am talking about.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost View Post
    I'm happy to let people discuss the state of the forums as I love feedback but only if it regards the present so please let's not take this into an old team/new team discussion please. If people wish to take the discussion there, please take it to PM.
    I agree...

Look at it this way, we have those that think what they think and they do not aim to flame anyone. Open opinions are welcomed under a certain caution..

Be it about past or present teams... We have a forum that many if not all enjoy being on and yes it might not suit many the way things are, but time should help this matter
    Last edited by claud3; 10-10-2013 at 21:01.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    This forum is in a perpetual state of "things are happening soon", I think it's about time everyone just came to terms with the fact it's always going to be a bit broke.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

35. Likes Justin , BBK.. likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Ok everyone. Here is your opportunity to give us your thoughts. Please visit the thread and read over everything and submit your response. We care about how you guys feel everything is going. So please take a few minutes to help us out.

http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...me-to-help-out

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

37. Likes Admartian , Ghost likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin View Post
    Sadly it was basically the same as we see now, hence why MAJOR changes occurred. When these changes occurred we were promised many new and wonderful things, and for a short period of time things were truly looking up for the community. However, once again everything has remained the same, and many promises never saw fruition.
    That's where we disagree.

Thread Information