Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Foxconn uses student labor for production

Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/88524304-3...#ixzz2hKXcZ1mR

Foxconn in fresh student labour scandal at China plant

By Sarah Mishkin in Taipei

ŠEPA
    Electronics manufacturer Foxconn, which became notorious after a string of workers’ suicides in 2010, has admitted that student interns worked overtime and night shifts at a factory in northeast China in violation of company policy.
    Students told Chinese media that more than a thousand of their classmates worked on basic tasks such as putting together and packaging parts for Sony’s forthcoming PlayStation 4 consoles. The college programme at the factory in Yantai, Shandong province, was a graduation requirement, they said.
    The admission is a blow to the Taiwanese company most famous for assembling Apple products, and comes in the same week as Terry Gou, its founder and chairman lamented that young Chinese are shunning monotonous, low-paid assembly line jobs.

High quality global journalism requires investment. Please share this article with others using the link below, do not cut & paste the article. See our Ts&Cs and Copyright Policy for more detail. Email ftsales.support@ft.com to buy additional rights. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/88524304-3...#ixzz2hKXjcKq0

The same factory last year admitted to having temporarily hired underage interns.
    “There have been a few instances where our policies pertaining to overtime and night shift work were not enforced. Immediate actions have been taken to bring that campus into full compliance with our code and policies,” said Foxconn in a statement.
    Foxconn have not confirmed or denied that they make the PlayStation 4 at Yantai. Last year, it said the factory did not produce Apple products. Sony confirmed that Foxconn is assembling the PlayStation 4, but did not specify at which factory.
    The Taiwanese company, listed in Taipei under the name Hon Hai Precision Industries, last year found that students as young as 14 had been working at the Yantai campus for a few weeks. It pledged at the time to investigate how workers younger than the minimum age of 16 came to be working at the plant.
    Foxconn and other contract manufacturers regularly employ students as temporary workers to give the students a chance to gain skills. The programmes are sometimes criticised by labour activists, who say the students often make up for staff shortages and are not offered meaningful training.
    Under Foxconn’s policies, interns are not allowed to work overtime or nights and have the right to leave the program at any time.
    As part of its work with the Fair Labor Association – independent inspectors brought in by Apple to audit some Foxconn factories, not including the Yantai facilities – Foxconn has also pledged to ensure that interns’ work matched their educational programmes, according to FLA’s report on its work.
    Analysts and news reports in Taiwan and mainland China indicate that other electronics manufacturing companies have been facing staffing shortages as production on new popular products such as the iPhone 5c and 5s ramp up and distributors stock up ahead of the winter holiday season.
    Pegatron, which manufacturers for groups including Apple and Sony, has been facing “severe” staffing shortages near its Shanghai factories, said analysts at Nomura in a recent note.
    Additional reporting by Jennifer Thompson in Tokyo

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/88524304-319f-11e3-817c-00144feab7de.html

Just for reference, 10% of Microsoft's Xbox One components are also assembled at the Foxconn plant.
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...aT22Ml6TJQk.99

So, it looks like FoxConn has been caught red-handed using child labor. A lot of the media is pinning this solely to the Playstation 4, but FoxConn makes many products including the XBox One.
    Last edited by Lefein; 10-10-2013 at 15:50.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/88524304-319f-11e3-817c-00144feab7de.html

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news...aT22Ml6TJQk.99

So, it looks like FoxConn has been caught red-handed using child labor. A lot of the media is pinning this solely to the Playstation 4, but FoxConn makes many products including the XBox One.
    They just wanted to blame Sony for this. Since Xbox One has a ton of bad press, might as well give Sony some too right?

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    They just wanted to blame Sony for this. Since Xbox One has a ton of bad press, might as well give Sony some too right?
    To be fair, it seems like FoxConn assigned a lot of these 'interns' to the PS4 assembly line. So, there is some legitimacy to this. However, whether Sony is aware of these practices or not definitely remains to be seen. Might be a clear case of FoxConn over-promising to Sony on delivering these consoles.

My guess is that FoxConn probably put these student laborers all over the place, though.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    To be fair, it seems like FoxConn assigned a lot of these 'interns' to the PS4 assembly line. So, there is some legitimacy to this. However, whether Sony is aware of these practices or not definitely remains to be seen. Might be a clear case of FoxConn over-promising to Sony on delivering these consoles.

My guess is that FoxConn probably put these student laborers all over the place, though.
    I bet most of these companies knows, cheap labor = more money for their pockets.

Ultimate Veteran
    I bet most of these companies knows, cheap labor = more money for their pockets.
    FoxConn was caught in a similar fiasco last year for some Apple products.. So, there is some truth to that. Well, all I can says is, I hope they clean up their act. As for Sony.. Seems like the first bad news story for them is just a month before launch lol.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Technically it's not Child Labor, it's Psuedo Forced labor of University Students. Who are required to work in industry as part of the credits. It's not an uncommon practice in China.

While it's exploitative, it's nowhere near as bad as other things Foxconn has done in the past, IMHO.

What I'm glad to see is Chinese media bringing this to public attention.

Also, while the PS4 is a pretty big item, it's still only a small fraction of Foxconn's capacity that's being used to manufacture the PS4. And this is not a new practice/schem it's something that's been ongoing well before the PS4.

7. Likes daLa likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    I wonder something, if Foxconn gets shut down, do these big companies head for India?

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    PS4s won't build themselves dammit.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I wonder something, if Foxconn gets shut down, do these big companies head for India?
    Uhm... The Chinese government isn't going to shut Foxconn down over this. They've done much worse in the past, this is barely a blip on the radar for them. And, no they wouldn't run to India, they'd just use another chinese manufacture. Foxconn isn't the only game in house.

PS: I hate Foxconn w/ a passion, but for other work related reasons, and the incompetence of the folks I was working with. If they have a problem on their board, they blame all the the chip makers and say 'your chip has problems' instead of debugging their damn boards/quality issues. That said, this is when they're building boards for smaller projects that may be 100K boards w/ 10-50 DSP's per board. Not building PS4 board (i.e. a much more complicated board and lower quantities of boards w/o as big of hammer such as Sony or Apple standing over them.)
    Last edited by TAZ427; 10-10-2013 at 16:24.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    Agriel
    Items PS3 Slim LogoRaidenNoctisFinal Fantasy XI OnlineFinal Fantasy Versus XIIINaughty Dog
    Surprised this made the news to be honest. This is just business as usual for China.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    It's literally the same as any internship anywhere all over the world, ever.
    One does menial task for 1 month, often unrelated to the expertise you have studied for, but with in the industry one wishes to enter for university course credits. Usually unpaid.

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Anything to get them kids off the streets and in doors

This can not be anything new at all. The history of that factory is crazy enough to not expect anything other than this
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    It's literally the same as any internship anywhere all over the world, ever.
    One does menial task for 1 month, often unrelated to the expertise you have studied for, but with in the industry one wishes to enter for university course credits. Usually unpaid.
    Well, apparently, some of these students are as young as 14. So, there is something to be said about it.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    I hope my PS4 is assembled there. There's no chance it'll fail with it being put together by a grad student.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

16. Likes JDizzleNO1 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPhreak View Post
    I hope my PS4 is assembled there. There's no chance it'll fail with it being put together by a grad student.
    That could explain why Xbox 360 had so many failures at the beginning.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Well, apparently, some of these students are as young as 14. So, there is something to be said about it.
    No these guys in this article are university students.

The 14 year olds story is from last year... I don't think the PS4 was in production then, and may have been an entirely different factory site.

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

19. Likes Lefein likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    the blame is solely on foxconn......and now they will hopefully pay the consequences.

Ultimate Veteran
    There is no big deal about this

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Not really surprised by this at all. Happens too often over there.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Veteran
    They best not mess my console up lol.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    And how often has this happened in the past?

"Who else are we putting $#@! together for, Oh yeah lets blame this one on that company since those lousy press people keeps a snoopin"

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Students forced to work overtime to build PS4

http://www.businessinsider.com/foxco...tion-4-2013-10
    It has been reported that if students had refused their college education would be in jeopardy.

AP Images
    Foxconn pressured 1,000 engineering students in China to participate in an internship at Foxconn to make Sony's upcoming Playstation 4, Quartz reports.
    Students from Xi'an Institute of Technology were reportedly told that if they didn't participate in the internship program, they wouldn't be able to graduate.

Foxconn has since performed an internal investigation, and has determined that assigning night shifts and overtime to students was in violation of the company's policies.

“Immediate actions have been taken to bring that campus into full compliance with our code and policies,” Foxconn said in a statement to Quartz, including “reinforcing the policies of no overtime and no night shifts for student interns, even though such work is voluntary, and reminding all interns of their rights to terminate their participation in the program at any time.”

But this isn't the first time Foxconn has been accused of some shady business practices.

Last year, Foxconn denied the allegations that it required students to work on its assembly line to make the iPhone 5, saying that they were free to leave at any time.

Business Insider has reached out to Sony and will update this post if we hear back.

SEE ALSO: Fighting Breaks Out At Foxconn

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Master Sage
    Students are pretty damn lucky.
    How awesome would it be to write on your resume that you helped engineer a PS4.

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    I think it was assembly and not engineering

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Thread Information