PSU Live Streamer

What keeps you watching particular 'Lets Play' uploaders?

For the past couple months I've been contemplating the idea of starting my own Lets Play channel on youtube to coincide with the release of the ps4. At first I was leaning more towards twitch streaming because the ps4 will have that built in, but my life schedule is pretty random and maintaining a consistent stream schedule would be next to impossible. However playing/recording/uploading is slightly more forgiving.

I watch quite a few lets play uploaders on youtube and I know what it is about them that pulls me in and keeps me watching. Curious what it is that you all gravitate to, and what makes them your favorites?

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Good commentary but not too much BS'ng. I want to here about insights to a game not about your personal life.

Tell me about the game mechanics, if the controls are smooth and natural or not. Tell me how it compares to other recent games you've played.

Show me some tricks that you've found, or things that just made the game work for you.

That's the kind of stuff I want to hear about in a Let's Play vid.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I enjoy group let's plays, just the humor and bantering. They're reminiscent of old split-screen/LAN plays with friends.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSU Live Streamer
    My wife is always walking into my room wondering who I'm talking to or yelling at. Apparently I'm naturally vocal when playing my video games. Whether its rage or some witty comment I spew out at a random character on screen. So I'm guessing random humor/rage/etc should come to me naturally. Doing things like, addressing the viewers or speaking to them as if they are there with me would take some getting used to.

I still have to consider....
    -short/sweet channel name, something people remember easily, preferably a spin off my name to make social interactions more personalized
    -capture hardware, assuming ps4 is allowing hdmi capture, I can't remember what the verdict was on that
    -video editing software, less of a concern I'm sure
    -how to promote the channel

My PC is getting old these days, hoping my PC performance won't be too much of an issue or that'll be an immediate speed bump with the video capture process.

Do you guys prefer seeing the persons face? Or does it matter?
    Last edited by shepard; 10-10-2013 at 20:05.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    My wife is always walking into my room wondering who I'm talking to or yelling at. Apparently I'm naturally vocal when playing my video games. Whether its rage or some witty comment I spew out at a random character on screen. So I'm guessing random humor/rage/etc should come to me naturally. Doing things like, addressing the viewers or speaking to them as if they are there with me would take some getting used to.

I still have to consider....
    -short/sweet channel name, something people remember easily, preferably a spin off my name to make social interactions more personalized
    -capture hardware, assuming ps4 is allowing hdmi capture, I can't remember what the verdict was on that
    -video editing software, less of a concern I'm sure
    -how to promote the channel

My PC is getting old these days, hoping my PC performance won't be too much of an issue or that'll be an immediate speed bump with the video capture process.

Do you guys prefer seeing the persons face? Or does it matter?
    I hear you on the wife bit. I'll be chatting online while playing and my wife has to ask me who I'm talking to and why. Or she'll start yelling at my son for some reason, which is why I normally mute my mic when not talking, LOL.

They did say that the PS4 will allow for video capture over HDMI (i.e. no HDCP active during video game play.)

PSU Live Streamer
    Yea, well....the chatter I'm referring to is me talking to me during campaign play lol.

And yes they confirmed video capture over hdmi, but not day 1. It'll be patched in later according to a tweet from Shuhei. Which is too bad because AC4 is my first game planned and would have been one I'd like to have started with.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Shepard's π

Boom...nailed it!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm planning something along these lines too. It's an exciiting project.

PSU Live Streamer
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Shepard's π

Boom...nailed it!
    Is that supposed to be the symbol for Pi? To make it Shepard's Pie? rofl...nice.

Actually I was considering something off my first name. Something tells me it would be easier to have your audience relate to you if actual name is represented rather than some random gamer tag like xXxShepardxXx.

Am I wrong? maybe...

This one guy I watch his name is Brad. His channel is 'The Rad Brad'. Simple, memorable, and personal. I mean then theres PewDiePie who is the biggest gamer on YT and thats obviously not his real name.

I guess I could use Shepard in some way. It is partially my psn handle. But since Mass Effect, Shepard is a pretty common name these days.

10. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Having watched GameGrumps since close to when it first started, I've found it's mostly the commentary, when there's something funny or interesting being said. I don't like it when people just react to a game they're playing so someone like pewdiepie is really annoying.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

PSU Live Streamer
    Well GameGrumps, from what little I know of them....is not a solo commentator right? Having someone to talk to/with during gameplay lends itself to natural discussion. Flying solo, you tend to react to whats on screen for the most part as your attention isn't divided between game and holding a convo with someone else.

Not saying one method or the other is necessarily better, as its an opinion and matter of preference on what someone finds enjoyable enough to connect with. But I'll be flying solo on this project if it gets off the ground.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Has to have humor and not over the tope reactions to simple things. There is some horror player on you tube that peps seems to like and I cant stand him. He overreacts to everything amd has an anoyying fake voive he uses.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Keep it short! Maximum 5 - 8 minutes. I certainly don't want to spend endless 20 minutes watching an amateur video, that makes me feel I'm wasting my time.

5 minutes are enough to give you an idea about the gane and all important facts. (See ign reviews!)
    "Luckily, the Helghan economy is based on moving explosive material around in barrels,
    which gives the humans an edge in combat."

Thread Information