Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
Results 26 to 40 of 40
  1. #26
    Dedicated Member
    victorijapoosp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    40
    Points
    9,976 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    $60 per console is quite a hit, but they should easily make it up with the money from the PSN service
    The information comes as Masayasu Ito a Sony Computer Entertainment Senior Vice President also pointed out that the company dropped the PS4 camera from initial bundles in order to hit the "magic price" of $399 in the USA (that's $200 less expensive than the PlayStation 3 at launch).
    Except... it doesn't. The quote talks about dropping the camera. That's it.

    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

    SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

  2. Likes K2D likes this post
  3. #27
    Veteran
    TAZ427's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Sugar Land, TX
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Age
    43
    Posts
    4,909
    Rep Power
    70
    Points
    17,997 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Except... it doesn't. The quote talks about dropping the camera. That's it.
    Well dropping a $60 retail PS4 Eye doesn't take the price down $100. They had a target of $399, it sounds like they were willing to take a hit, but how much of a hit. Leaving the PS4 Eye may be saving them $40-50 in build cost.

    That said, the article does only say they're rumored to be loosing $60 per console. It would make sense that they're willing to take a little hit (which $60 is a little hit) when they've taking a huge hit on the PS3 initially and made it a success.

    It would seem this time they're wanting to be a bit more conservative on how much of a hit they're willing to take. To be perfectly honest if they weren't taking some amount of a hit, I would highly doubt that they would opt out of the PS4 Eye bundled at $399 because it would only be a max of $50 hit.

    Sony has always made money off the subsequent game and peripheral sales. It's never been about making money off the HW sales, it's making more HW sales to get more money off of subsequent game sales.



  4. #28
    Super Elite
    MacP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Essex, England.
    Posts
    2,224
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    4,724 (0 Banked)
    Well considering Sony are charging for PSN there is no doubt they make it back through this.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

  5. #29
    Member

    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    Posts
    112
    Rep Power
    6
    Points
    892 (0 Banked)
    Far better then what they lost with the ps3 at launch

    Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

  6. #30
    Nosce te ipsum
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,000
    Rep Power
    240
    Points
    136,127 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Not bad Sony, not bad at all.




  7. #31
    Dedicated Member
    Ariakace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    Age
    27
    Posts
    1,058
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    6,824 (0 Banked)
    compared to the loss they were taking on PS3, $60 is nothing. werent they losing like, 200+ on each PS3 at launch?


    "I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a ****load of bubble gum"

  8. #32
    Master Guru
    IWAO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Copenhagen
    PSN ID
    DynamicSun
    Posts
    6,194
    Rep Power
    72
    Points
    5,273 (0 Banked)
    It'd have been worse. But hey at least so won't this last more than 2-3 years hopefully.

  9. #33
    Apprentice
    chriharr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GREAT SOUTHERN LAND
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Posts
    373
    Rep Power
    23
    Points
    5,937 (0 Banked)
    $60 loss pfft not on European systems.

    Sony has a European revenue system to make up for lost US revenue.

    E.g in Australia the PS4 is stil $520 USD sure there's some GST on there but Sony are still pocketing an extra $70 or so after the government and retailer takes their profit.

    Don't worry about the loss Australia's got you covered lol
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

  10. #34
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    26
    Posts
    12,298
    Rep Power
    124
    Points
    30,586 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    $60 loss pfft not on European systems.

    Sony has a European revenue system to make up for lost US revenue.

    E.g in Australia the PS4 is stil $520 USD sure there's some GST on there but Sony are still pocketing an extra $70 or so after the government and retailer takes their profit.

    Don't worry about the loss Australia's got you covered lol
    Yep, AU/NZ paying for every other complaining gamer since forever.

  11. #35
    Dedicated Member
    victorijapoosp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    1,013
    Rep Power
    40
    Points
    9,976 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Well dropping a $60 retail PS4 Eye doesn't take the price down $100. They had a target of $399, it sounds like they were willing to take a hit, but how much of a hit. Leaving the PS4 Eye may be saving them $40-50 in build cost.

    That said, the article does only say they're rumored to be loosing $60 per console. It would make sense that they're willing to take a little hit (which $60 is a little hit) when they've taking a huge hit on the PS3 initially and made it a success.

    It would seem this time they're wanting to be a bit more conservative on how much of a hit they're willing to take. To be perfectly honest if they weren't taking some amount of a hit, I would highly doubt that they would opt out of the PS4 Eye bundled at $399 because it would only be a max of $50 hit.

    Sony has always made money off the subsequent game and peripheral sales. It's never been about making money off the HW sales, it's making more HW sales to get more money off of subsequent game sales.
    Of course sony make money from the peripherals and software - thats the whole point of a console.

    You completely missed the point of my post, the Spong article makes the claim of Sony losing $60, then claims the "information comes as Masayasu Ito" blah blah. But neither House nor Ito ever spoke of any kind of per unit loss, they merely address that they took the camera out. However the article is trying to equate it's unsourced BS rumour with it.

    "Sony is rumoured to be losing US$60 on each PlayStation 4 sale, money it aims to make back via selling peripherals, software and services," says an interview with Sony Computer Entertainment president and group CEO Andy House this week.
    This particular sentence in the original SPONG article,for example, makes literally no sense what so ever... who is being quoted? They make it sound as though it was Andy House. So you follow the breadcrumbs and it stops at Adam Turner on business spectator whose source is.... Thin air. It's a number plucked from his backside.

    Just pointing out the poor quality of the spong piece that seems is deliberately worded to spin FUD.

    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

    SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

  12. #36
    Newbie
    Kasu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    46
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    295 (36 Banked)
    I heard about that, good thing they have prepared themselves this time around unlike the ps3 launch!! smarter launching techniques = much more money

  13. #37
    Dedicated Member
    Demi_God's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Icy hot of the north
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Posts
    1,427
    Rep Power
    14
    Points
    7,779 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    $60 per console is quite a hit, but they should easily make it up with the money from the PSN service
    The title of this topic misleading. It should be changed to rumored, not posted as if it's a fact.

  14. #38
    Veteran
    MonkeyClaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, TX
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,689
    Rep Power
    89
    Points
    136,278 (0 Banked)
    Items Protect yourself
    $60 isn't that bad of a hit for a console, I guarantee you the XB1 is taking a larger hit with the Kinect 2, and it is no where near what hit they took with the PS3! Also since they require PS+ for online multiplayer now that will be an instant $50 from most people! I think a $60 hit is very conservative for a console release.


    PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

  15. #39
    Apprentice
    Georges's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lebanon
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Age
    16
    Posts
    227
    Rep Power
    17
    Points
    1,397 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    They will make it up with their in-grown games.
    Your sig is too friggin' big. Please change it. ~ PSU Staff

  16. #40
    Superior Member
    INFAMOUS8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    25
    Posts
    831
    Rep Power
    40
    Points
    1,821 (0 Banked)
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    PS+ is $50 so that kind of evens it out.


    Extra controller, Camera, Games, etc... They will be fine.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.