Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    I do not seen this happening, i see them losing a lot of money this way
    i think they know that it's not going to be a huge seller anyway. so to put all the eggs in one basket wouldn't help. someone like R* has enough confidence that going next-gen only or current-gen only is only going to boost their numbers. but they choose current-gen because they know no one else can beat them here and there's no other good game out at the moment.

i can guarantee you that this game will sell more on current gen console than next. at least in the beginning.

New one looks almost like a movie. If the shiny highlights on the leather jacket are dynamic to the surroundings it is going to be drop dead gorgeous.
    ~ Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman, in that case always be Batman. ~

~ Microsoft and l had a disagreement on the primary function of the Xbox One. I wanted to use it to play games and they wanted to use it to screw me.~

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Look at it this way, if they focused on current gen first and never showed net gen... This would have made the next gen one a complete treat

So show off what you can do on current gen and sometime in the year or next, finally show next gen version and you will see the reaction and sales will go through the roof
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Sage

Why would someone selling something show the worst version to gather interest? You always show the best version.

I know nothing about marketing but I'm sure that showing the weakest version would be Ubisoft shooting themselves in the foot.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    But if they showed current gen and never mentioned next gen until the release of next gen.... Then it would be a huge surprise and thus

Increase sales and peoole would jump too next gen version
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Sage

How does not telling someone about something equal boosted sales?

One of the reasons Watch Dogs got so much attention when it was first announced was due to the visuals we knew weren't possible on current generation hardware. Do you really think the anticipation would've been as high for it if they just shown off the current generation assets?

If anything, what you propose they do sounds like a bad idea. Don't make people aware of a next gen version until you release it and everyone that was interested have to buy another copy to play it as it should've been played in the first place. Sounds like the perfect way to make your customers lose faith in your company.

This is only really a problem if your not picking up a next generation platform and feel bummed out that you know it will look better elsewhere.

Forum Overseer
    Look at it this way, if they focused on current gen first and never showed net gen... This would have made the next gen one a complete treat

So show off what you can do on current gen and sometime in the year or next, finally show next gen version and you will see the reaction and sales will go through the roof
    no because next year, we'll have way better games than Watchdogs.

also focusing on next-gen wouldn't mean that it would necessarily look better. YES, if they cut off current gen, they would have more time to work on next-gen but they have a budget they go with and they already went with a cross-gen engine so while it's possible that the next-gen version could've looked better or more importantly, played better, there's no guarantee how much?

If they skipped current gen and just made a new engine specifically for next-gen, the game could've been a lot better-looking and it could've played better too but then you have to understand that you're spending millions on a new engine and if you want that engine to last longer and maybe even be the flagship engine (a la Frostbite for DICE) then you have to spend even more.

Basically unless this game were to be a huge hit, you're taking a lot of chances, jobs can be lost, the stakes would go way up.

Do they have an idea that is good enough to sell that well on newly released consoles that will have about 3-4m user base? a game really only sells well in the first few months, by the time, people buy it at the end of this year, they will be thinking about the upcoming games and not Watchdogs.

so the fact that they want this to be a launch title and multiplat, could not have been a better choice. same goes for DICE but they know they can do a lot better. Frostbite engine is a cash cow for them. they will eventually need to come out with frostbite 4.0. i'd give them a couple of years.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I will always use GTA V as an example, because look at what they achieved on current gen and what they will on next

Were is ubisoft could have matched R* ability to max the current consoles and imagine what they can do on next gen

So Ubisoft had it their ready and they just wasted the chance

Elite Sage

What are you saying. Watch Dogs shouldn't be on the next generation of consoles?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I will always use GTA V as an example, because look at what they achieved on current gen and what they will on next

Were is ubisoft could have matched R* ability to max the current consoles and imagine what they can do on next gen

Two different types of games, two very different things to achieve. One doesn't mean the other should be the same.

Forum Overseer
    yes, i was going to include R* because i know you're going off that but my post was already large enough.

the difference here is that not everyone company has the financial advantage to do this and R* is in a place where they can make decisions like that and it would work for them as well.

Watchdogs obviously is not at the same level and thus this would be a diaster for them.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Two different types of games, two very different things to achieve. One doesn't mean the other should be the same.
    This.

Moreover it's readily apparent which generation of systems Watch Dogs is aimed at, and which has taken lead development; you've got to think of budgets, time constraints, staff allocation since it's spread across more than one generation of consoles. It's not really comparable to Grand Theft Auto.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Its not the fact they are two different games, it's the fact that they are extremely talent companies and one achieved it and thee other should or could have followed suit

since ubisoft were working on watchdogs longer than r* on gta v, you would believe they would have had the upper hand in getting full use off current gen consoles,
    Last edited by claud3; 10-14-2013 at 16:18.

Forum Overseer
    iTS NOT THE FACT THEY ARE TWO DIFFERENT GAMES, IT'S THE FACT THAT THEY ARE EXTREMELY TALENT COMPANIES AND ONE ACHIEVED IT AND THEE OTHER SHOULD OR COULD HAVE FOLLOWED SUIT

SINCE UBISOFT WERE WORKING ON WATCHDOGS LONGER THAN R* ON GTA V, YOU WOULD BELIEVE THEY WOULD HAVE HAD THE UPPER HAND IN GETTING FULL USE OFF CURRENT GEN CONSOLES,
    Watchdogs is a new title (new IP), R* has been working on GTA5 much longer. R* has the momentum and the projections to spend more than Ubisoft would on Watchdogs. R* also have more experience in their genre they've pretty much created.

R* IMO is more talented but it seems Ubisoft has more varied talent as they have shown some awesome stuff next-gen.

R* puts all their might in one title, Watchdogs is just a little guy compared to what Ubisoft does. you're comparing apples to oranges.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    well my opinion stands

Forum Overseer
    i'm sorry but your opinion doesn't have weight ;P

you're putting a game up on the pedestal that is at best a better-than-average game.
    Last edited by Omar; 10-14-2013 at 16:25.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Its not the fact they are two different games, it's the fact that they are extremely talent companies and one achieved it and thee other should or could have followed suit

since ubisoft were working on watchdogs longer than r* on gta v, you would believe they would have had the upper hand in getting full use off current gen consoles,
    Okay, but it's the lead platform development that takes precedence here, and Grand Theft Auto V doesn't have such problems. It's immensely difficult to produce a game for a particularly optimised system only to then have to scale back ideas and dilute implementations for a much older machine. These issues are a nightmare time-wise and quality no doubt suffers and in the case of Watch Dogs it shows.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    i'm sorry but your opinion doesn't have weight ;P

you're putting a game up on the pedestal that is at best a better-than-average game.
    Well Watch dogs is not average at all, it gives GTA V a run for it's money and could have on current gen

Forum Overseer
    it gives GTA5 run for its money as much as Saints Row does. meaning very little lol.
    Well Watch dogs is not average at all, it gives GTA V a run for it's money and could have on current gen
    you're saying coulda woulda shoulda. i'm saying that they can't, won't and shouldn't and gave you reasons why

Elite Sage

All i hear are IF's.

If anything they should've skipped the PS3/360 all together. If anything it was a nice surprise after the first E3 reveal to show it was coming to current generation consoles.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Claude,

What exactly is being compared here? GTA V and Watchdogs on the current systems. Ok, what aspects are you comparing? I'm interested in seeing what's actually relevant in comparing a game that is already released, vs one that isn't even finished development yet; so it hasn't even been played by the criticizer.

Forum Overseer
    i donno about that. watch dogs, to me, is not as impressive as GTA 5, never was, especially what will be on current gen consoles.
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Claude,

What exactly is being compared here? GTA V and Watchdogs on the current systems. Ok, what aspects are you comparing? I'm interested in seeing what's actually relevant in comparing a game that is already released, vs one that isn't even finished development yet; so it hasn't even been played by the criticizer.

Elite Sage

I think F34R, like me, is just curious to understand what Claude actually means.

Forum Overseer
    the problem is that if this game was being created by someoen like R* with the budget and focus...then yes, i would agree with him. i do believe that given the right talent and the gameplay, you should focus on a less amount of formats than more.

that is, if that means, that your game will not only change from a design level but also creative.

i don't think this game was going to change much even if it were just made with next-gen consoles' strengths.

Apprentice

How did a thread that compared current gen screens with next gen screens devolve into yet another WD Compared to GTAV thread? Aren't there enough of those all over the internets? I mean, I was interested in the original topic. Where'd it go?

26. Likes Admartian likes this post

Thread Information