Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim

Need Major Help!!

Hello, I am here to plea for assistance.

My workhorse for the last 4 years today decided it wanted to croak (or pretty close). My laptop has been having this issue where it will freeze, a complete lock-up where the only way to proceed is to do a hard reset via holding the power button. While it has been happening for about ~3 years the issue has become crippling (so much so I had to drop my final project this past semester School computer don't have Trapcode suite)

It'll freeze pretty much any and everywhere, from normal use, browsing the web. I could be going strong for weeks or months doing anything from gaming to editing in premier to experimenting in After Effects and suddenly it locks up! most famously it will freeze at the log-in, just past the log-in screen, going into safe mode, and as of today at the 'Starting Windows' logo. Also as of today a new synptom! it'll get to the log-in screen hang a few minutes and blu screen, followed by automatic restart which ultimately ends at a screen saying "Operiating system not found" (WTF) I can then go into safe mode afterward but restart and here we go again (literally have to boot and hard reset 10-20 50 times before it fially loads stably. at that point I cring if I have to restart for anything, INCLUDING it freezing during use. Literally came home today and found the thing frozen in the screen saver, ala the start of todays episode)

I come here because naturally the web's answers are usually useless. The closest thing I can find to a probable cause were a few places where a buch of people with similar issue have pinpointed the problem being an issue with the gpu driver (those have been istalled and re-installed to no avail)

Windows 8 rc was the last place I didn't have the issue, along with Mint and Ubuntu, but I'll jump off a cliff befor I use 8, and I need the Adobe suit among other things that simply work in Windows. (Also a new OS is out of the budget, let alone a new computer, especially the upgrade I need for my work)

Sony Vaio VGN-FW490J
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
    Intel Penryn T9600 2.80GHz Processor
    4 gigs ram
    750GbB 7200rpm HDD
    ATi Radeon 4650
    (the only driver I wont update at this point is the realtek driver since the latest few mess-up my sound system other wise everything is up to date)

PS: While I'm sure restoring the system via image willallow me to get back to imediate work (as it has in the past), I'd like to find the root to this problem if possible, and know there are a few tech tech savy souls among us.
    Last edited by D3seeker; 10-12-2013 at 02:46.

Dedicated Member
    My best friend works for them direct, let me see if I can get someone to get in touch with you about that model.
    Can you Private Messege me your email or telephone number?
    I'm not full of it or some psycho.

I'll just say it's faster than me trying to get their info back to you.
    When they are told here's a problem, they address it.

Is this an older machine?
    Here's the support site i got.

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...29f9#/howtoTab

Can you see when your bios update last done on the machine was. I see one of 10*28*2009
    http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-...d#/downloadTab

I'll talk to my guy tonight and see if I can get anyone to contact you, again, faster if i can do anything if you PM me your telephone and or email.

Up to you, you'll never hear from me on them, just SONY if i can get it to the right people.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Yeah. I did that update.

Forum Sage
    Why not do a clean install and start fresh?

Dedicated Member
    i'll forward what you sent me.
    Your at State College PA right?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    No. At the moment I'm in Maryland
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    I've done that so many times, at this point I have to call ms to use my windows key (as you see it's happend before) Not that it's out of the question though. I'd just like to avoid all the setup, plus I'd still have the problem

Sent from the Warlock

Dedicated Member
    Oohhhh, okay. Where at?
    College Park, Baltimore, Towson, Frederick, DC area?

Odd question for you. Are your ram chips accessible?
    Can you swap them easily? Swap bank 1 for bank 2, or is it just one 4GB chip?
    I was wondering if we can get the error's to change and then maybe it's loosely diagnosed as a faltering DIMM.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 10-12-2013 at 05:37.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Oohhhh, okay. Where at?
    College Park, Baltimore, Towson, Frederick, DC area?

Odd question for you. Are your ram chips accessible?
    Can you swap them easily? Swap bank 1 for bank 2, or is it just one 4GB chip?
    I was wondering if we can get the error's to change and then maybe it's loosely diagnosed as a faltering DIMM.
    Baltimore area.
    The ram is accessible, and its 2 4gb DIMMS.....

Swaped them, no change.

Sent from the Warlock
    Last edited by D3seeker; 10-12-2013 at 08:03.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    I came in to say the same thing. Can't think of an easier way to figure out if it's software or H/W related.

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    I would check event manager and see if there are any indications of faulty drivers. Instructions here. Otherwise, it is more than likely hardware and will need repair, but since its out of warranty.....sigh....don't know how much that would cost. Sorry.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Thanks guys, but clean install wont help. I've done that before and the problem keeps coming back in vista and 7. I'll have to find a repair shop. Oddly enough thing I've noticed is this never happened when I had windows 8 or linix on the thing which makes this all the more odd

In the mean time I'v enabled boot logging and will takt a look at the event viewer as you said
    Sent from the Warlock
    Last edited by D3seeker; 10-12-2013 at 16:05.

Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    Thanks guys, but clean install wont help. I've done that before and the problem keeps coming back in vista and 7. I'll have to find a repair shop. Oddly enough thing I've noticed is this never happened when I had windows 8 or linix on the thing which makes this all the more odd

In the mean time I'v enabled boot logging and will takt a look at the event viewer as you said
    Sent from the Warlock
    Have you considered sticking linux back on it and just running win7 in a vm for your work?
    WOOF! WOOF!

Dedicated Member
    Those are all dooable.
    So, this doesn't happen under Win8. That's more interesting. There goes my HDD boot sector theory.
    It does seem to pinpoint the Win7 driver set though.
    Was this originally a Win8 machine?

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds like a corrupt hard drive to me.
    I had a dodgy drive and if I didn't access it (wasn't C:\ drive) everything was fine but as soon as I did it locked up for minutes at a time.

I would do a chkdsk
    Last edited by keefy; 10-12-2013 at 18:49.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Sounds like bad HDD but I would check ram. I had very bad problems with my PC that I thought for sure was HDD but turned up a bad stick of RAM. To check it download memtest. It's very small. Put it on a flash drive and reboot your PC. Spam F2 I think it is to go into setup. Change the boot sequence to the flash drive. The boot should be set at C drive originally. Save the settings and reboot. It should boot memtest. Run the test and leave it. Takes a long time but if the ram is bad it should find it quick.

If it does come up bad you can remove that stick and your PC should run fine. It will be a little slower but it should work. If not likely a bad hard drive or bad driver.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    So Finally back from the mall (little sisters birthday and I had to take her shopping)

I swapped the ram sticks, and have done the built-in memory test, Will try memtest to see what it shows.

Those don't show anything. This machine was originally Vista, and I've changes the HDD a while back (I actually thought that might be an issue but it still had the freezing problem back before I change that too {I know, this is sounding more and more strange}

I did a boot log and found a few odd things in Event Manager.......

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    OK, so memtest ran for 4 passes and found nothing.

As far as the Event Viewer the last error logged before a freeze this morning read like this

The WinRing0_1_2_0 service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

the xml:

Something about a boot driver:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    c2scsi64

This was interesting:

The description for Event ID 19 from source Sentinel64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:
    (nothing is here )

with this error immediately after:

The Sentinel64 service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the device specified.

Besides those there was also a warning about a driver:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_ RIMSPTSK#DISK&VEN_RICOH&PROD_MEMORYSTICKSTORAGE&RE V_1.00#MS0001#.

That would be in reference to the the card reader I believe, and I remember anytime I clean install win7, including way back when I first upgraded using the supplied upgrade disks, That driver gave me trouble. I had t reinstall it multiple times before it would show it properly in Device Manager (ie without the exclamation mark) It works just fine though

Trying to look into these myself, but if anyone else might know how to decipher these it would be appreciated. I noticed however that everyone of these are also present after a successful boot.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Ok well sounds like hdd is messed up. Probably had bad sectors. Honestly only way to solve that is to buy a new hdd and save all important files to an external hdd or flash drive. Of course this isn't definite but that is likely your problem since ram turned up clear. If you have windows I would save all your important data to external and do a fresh install. If problems persist then it is almost assured your hdd is bad.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk now Free

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    I'll see what I can do

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Did you run check disk?

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    it did a start-up disk check. I haven't done a full check in a while though. I'll go ahead and schedule one for the next start-up.
    Last edited by D3seeker; 10-13-2013 at 05:23.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    OK, so memtest ran for 4 passes and found nothing.

As far as the Event Viewer the last error logged before a freeze this morning read like this

The WinRing0_1_2_0 service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the file specified.

the xml:

Something about a boot driver:

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:
    c2scsi64

This was interesting:

The description for Event ID 19 from source Sentinel64 cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:
    (nothing is here )

with this error immediately after:

The Sentinel64 service failed to start due to the following error:
    The system cannot find the device specified.

Besides those there was also a warning about a driver:

The driver \Driver\WUDFRd failed to load for the device WpdBusEnumRoot\UMB\2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_ RIMSPTSK#DISK&VEN_RICOH&PROD_MEMORYSTICKSTORAGE&RE V_1.00#MS0001#.

That would be in reference to the the card reader I believe, and I remember anytime I clean install win7, including way back when I first upgraded using the supplied upgrade disks, That driver gave me trouble. I had t reinstall it multiple times before it would show it properly in Device Manager (ie without the exclamation mark) It works just fine though

Trying to look into these myself, but if anyone else might know how to decipher these it would be appreciated. I noticed however that everyone of these are also present after a successful boot.

Any of this help?
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...f-02cf2907a041

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Well now! That helped me figure out a few of the issues. Nice find

As for the obvious one (memory stick reader) it seems to be due to latency during start-up, and will happen every now and then.

The rest of those are all related to RoxioMedia Creator. For now I've removed the program.

Sadly this wont solve the big issue (froze 6 times afterwards), but at least I could tidy up the computer for now.

I'll keep examining thing for now though. It'll be Christmas before I can get a replacement laptop.

Thread Information