Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls

Are you a kickstarter?

So Kickstarter has been around for a while now and we are in that interesting period where many games have been successfully funded but very few have come out so far, we're just starting to see the first batch now really.

So I am interested, how many of you get involved with campaigns for games you are interested in and more importantly, why?

Me, I am not a kickstarter. And this is why; for most of my life the games I follow with great interest prior to release usually end up being disappointing. Sometimes hugely disappointing. These are games that, had KS been a thing back then, I may well have backed. And been burned. I think developers can be very good at misrepresenting their product so I am very much in the camp that says "wait until release to part with your money"

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I follow a lot of Kickstarters but i never donate because i dont have any money to give them.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    I've backed two projects so far but nothing software related yet.
    I usually browse" Product Design" and "Tech, hardware".

On the move with Tapatalk
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

Elite Guru
    I've only ever backed one project, Faeria. Just entered the kickstarter phase around 3 days ago.

Personally, I'm not sold on a premise alone - I wouldn't just kickstart something that 'looks' like it will be good. I got into the closed beta of Faeria and got a real feel for what the game will be like. I'm convinced it's got everything needed to stand alongside other TCGs. So, I put money forward.

If you like Trading Card Games (I'm new, with Scrolls and now Faeria but enjoying them hugely) give it a look-see. Pledging will at least get you into the beta to see if you like it - if not, withdraw funding.

Finally You Are Free
    I very much like the idea of Kickstarting gaming software. It comes with a risk of course, but it's nice having an actual say in the production of content that pertains to my interests. It allows some forward power to consumers and gamers, and it gives smaller developers a chance to make an impact on the scene. Plus, I personally greatly enjoy indie titles these days. I generally trust them (indie devs) more than big organized developers and publishers; they actually know how to make fun games.

All I've Kickstarted for games was A Hat in Time. It's a Nintendo 64-esque era style of platforming that follows closely to Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. It leverages itself on its visual character and humor. It's also very popular, making 987% of its initially planned budget, and it will contain extra content and features, as well as coop. $#@!, the villain is a time-traveling girl with a mustache! I can't wait for my copy.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 10-13-2013 at 15:06.

6. Likes HellsJester likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    I try to back all the sure-fire smash-hit kickstarer games. Though it seems not even the sure-fire hits are without the occasional hiccup..

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    All I've Kickstarted for games was A Hat in Time. It's a Nintendo 64-esue era style of platforming that follows closely to Super Mario 64 and Banjo Kazooie. It leverages itself on its visual character and humor. It's also very popular, making 987% of its initially planned budget, and it will contain extra context and features, as well as coop. $#@!, the villain is a time-traveling girl with a mustache! I can't wait for my copy.
    That looks great! Hope it ends up coming to ps4.

The only thing I've funded so far is a film by Zach Braff - Wish I Was Here. With the amount I put forward I get to see a special preview screening and Q+A with the man himself!! Among other things.

Anyway, I probably would fund a nice little indie game, just need to come across something that I would want to play.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    While not via Kickstarter I have kind of done something similar in that respect:
    • Star Citizen: I missed the kickstarter part but I pledged directly on the website and so far I've pledged more than 300 towards the game!
    • Project Cars: Again another game I just missed on Kickstarter but I also pledged directly on the WMD website and I've pledged more than 40
    These are the only two so far and both are really pressing my buttons! Project Cars looks and plays phenomenally and is developed by ex-SimBin employees, they need to work on that AI though before release! And Star Citizen is being made by Chris Roberts and most of the original guys that worked on Wing Commander, StarLancer, FreeLancer, and his other games which is why I've pledged so much so far.

Both games are going to rock.

Elite Sage
    I might be.

Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    There is some great projects that go through kickstarter. The first and only one I've helped fund so far is Mighty Number 9

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Duin View Post
    I might be.
    Ha nice. I hope you don't get burned on any of those man

Thread Information