Latest PSU headlines:

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

IMPORTANT! Every PS3 needs this [Warning: Risky stuff]

I just wanted to let everyone know that apparently after a long while of use, your PS3 will start to act slow...e.g XMB running slow, not loading up quickly, sending messages are painful, getting texture pop-in issues or textures just not showing up, games not loading up correctly at times or freezing frequently, and plenty of other issues I don't have time to list.

I'm thinking it's because the PS3 doesn't have a defrag program so your PS3 HDD will get slow or maybe corrupted after a while. Anyway, there is a way! So after fiddling with the whole thing for a few days, I was able to stop GTA5 issues and BF4 beta issues that I thought were developer-side (due to the games).

Try this before you format your PS3, especially a full format (which took me 22 hours!!! and still didn't fix ****!).

1. Turn off your PS3 (not sure if this is necessary, have not tested it without this part). Now turn it back on but keep the button pressed. It should make about 3 beeps and turn off before it even shows you the XMB.

2. Turn on the PS3 and keep the button pressed until the recovery menu comes up. it will make about 3 beeps.

Then do either one of the following in no particular order. This will not delete your data or saves or anything. Unless you select the wrong option but it will let you know what it will do and ask you if you are sure so if you're not a ding dong, you should be fine.

Select "Restore File System" and "Rebuild Database". I do know that rebuilding the database may make some of your video files change its name back to the original name but that doesn't always happen. If it does happen, it was probably causing issues so you shouldn't feel bad.

Let me know what you guys think or if this helped anyone. Honestly, this should be done every few months because I did notice this issue for a while but didn't know if it was my PS3 or what. Now I know!

2. Likes Christopher , Fenix wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    When I started playing Assassins Creed Brotherhood few years ago, the game had quite noticeable frame rate issues which made it annoying to play. I was like wtf, so I decided to do this, and the game became playable.

Too bad I did not do this back when I started Bioshock 1. The game too had noticeable frame rate issues during fights that (thankfully) went away after the second level, but they almost made fighting multiple enemies impossible.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    this happened to me on its own during a session of borderlands.
    my ps3 crashed and restarted itself and said it was rebuilding database. i freaked out but i assumed it was just an error check that windows does after an unsuccessful shutdown

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminator 101 View Post
    When I started playing Assassins Creed Brotherhood few years ago, the game had quite noticeable frame rate issues which made it annoying to play. I was like wtf, so I decided to do this, and the game became playable.

Too bad I did not do this back when I started Bioshock 1. The game too had noticeable frame rate issues during fights that (thankfully) went away after the second level, but they almost made fighting multiple enemies impossible.
    i don't think frame rate would be fixed but if the game is slowing down, as in, due to texture pop-in then yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Itachi View Post
    this happened to me on its own during a session of borderlands.
    my ps3 crashed and restarted itself and said it was rebuilding database. i freaked out but i assumed it was just an error check that windows does after an unsuccessful shutdown
    yea my friend's PS3 did that too...but he was also getting some GPU issues. i wish i had known about this back then, could've been a good try.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Just to be clear, "Restore File System" and "Rebuild Database" wont effect anything important?

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Just to be clear, "Restore File System" and "Rebuild Database" wont effect anything important?
    Nope. Restore System or Restore default settings would. but those are different options.

restore system just removes all the files but keeps your friends list and settings in tact. restore default settings will destroy your settings.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Did it.. bout to try BF4 to see if it fixed the pop in issues Ive been having.

Though I didnt expect I'd have to re-do my folders

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Some people say that these steps can also cure the dreaded 8001054 startup error but it didn't help in my case.
    It also takes aeons to update my trophies and my system is generally slow in XMB...

PS4 can't come soon enough

Extreme Poster
    my trophies also take 5 minutes to sync so i'll try out again to see if they were fixed. and to think, i used to think it took too long when it was 5 seconds lol.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Just to be clear, and this is for everyone, DO NOT click options two or five without being conscious of what they do, otherwise you'll wipe everythin' on the hard drive, including all your saves.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

12. Likes Sufi wishes they had posted this first.
    Extreme Poster
    also, the system should warn you before it does so please read what it's telling you.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Will keep this in mind. Good find

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Just did restore file system and it says "can't restore file system" and must format.

So I've just lost 800gb worth of PSN downloads as the system now won't function without a format.

I don't recommend anyone do this, there is no safe options !!
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    This is why SSD is the future, yo! No need to defrag ever again.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    Just did restore file system and it says "can't restore file system" and must format.

So I've just lost 800gb worth of PSN downloads as the system now won't function without a format.

I don't recommend anyone do this, there is no safe options !!
    damn really? wow sorry man. I guess I should put this as a warning. When I did it, I had no issues but then again I didn't have much data there and had all my saves backed up. are your saves good at least?

were you getting issues with slow down and textures loading up slow and stuff?

i guess people should use at their own risk!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Wasn't getting any issues just thought a spring clean would be good for it... Guess the lesson learnt is if it's still working it doesn't need this.

Will take me a while to reformat and download all my data again probably going to span the downloads out over a few months.

I have a backup of the PS3 from like a year ago but that's still only 200gb of backup data I'll just start fresh I think

YES, Saves are all backed up thank fark for PS PLUS.

UPDATE: EVERYTHING is redownloaded and restored thank god for NBN.
    Last edited by chriharr; 10-24-2013 at 11:32.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Best way to improve system performance

The best way to do it is to do a system back up, then restore that backup to the system.

This process will restore the files to your PS3 in sequential order.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post

UPDATE: EVERYTHING is redownloaded and restored thank god for NBN.
    .......You lucky son of a ***** :P.....*shakes fist at the liberal government*. What speed plan you on?

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    I didn't experience this problem yet but thanks for the heads-up.
    Your sig is too friggin' big. Please change it. ~ PSU Staff

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    When i feel my PS3 is getting slow i just backup my stuff and either do system restore or change the HDD with a brand new one. (I always have one or two laying around the house that i never use)

23. Likes chriharr wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    ^smart man that's the only proper way to do it on PS3

Thread Information