Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Definitely getting one (will not buy it myself), and I will certainly enjoy Kinect to the fullest (and the hdmi pass through)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Alert the cops - Mullah is going to steal one!!
    Be Together - Not the same.

2. Likes Omar likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Alert the cops - Mullah is going to steal one!!
    Lol gta style jk

The in laws will probably get it for me

4. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Forum Overseer

I would love to experience the Kinect and they are definitely presenting the console in a much better way. however, did anyone else find a scary part in there?

hint: listen from 1:44 to 2:10. it sounds amazing and yet if you think about it...take a moment and think why they would ever need all that information?

http://allthingsd.com/20131007/micro...x-ones-kinect/

oh no no of course, it's because controllers getting switched is such a huge problem, they had to spend billions to come up with a solution where a camera would know which one is the right one.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    jhuff
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkMe2004 View Post
    Their vision from day one was to change the way we interact with our gaming console. When they announced that kinect was mandatory a lot of people were up in arms because they weren't comfortable with the idea. By still including the kinect in every box it gives hesitant customers time to get comfortable with kinect and figure out the advantages of its use own their own. In the end they will still achieve the same goal but they save face by not saying that you have to use the kinect every time you turn the console on. I also would like to add that no one is forcing anyone to buy this thing. People chose to be customers.

Now I ask why this is such a bad thing. Microsoft made a choice that would differentiate it from the competition and felt comfortable charging a premium for such capability. That alone is the justification.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm still considered a newbie here and have been keeping up with this forum since before the announcement of the ps3 or 360. Just thought that was funny.
    Well written post. Good explanation of what MS is trying to do with kinect as well. You're right in that no one is forced to buy the product as a whole. What some people are objecting to is being forced to "buy" the kinect if you buy the console. I agree that it's probably not REALLY that much of a big deal. It is somewhat of a measure of the lack of consumer trust that Microsoft has however, that people are sooo leary of the "always on camera" and things like that. People just don't trust MS enough to accept a feature like this without objection or at least a great amount of concern. Not saying they'd be ok if it were Sony or Nintendo either- just saying the MS and frankly VERY FEW companies if any, have that kind of trust from consumers. Maybe Apple.

Anyway, there's nothing "wrong" with Microsoft's vision and what they want to do. We will soon start to see how much and how many consumers in the market agree with them. And MS is fully justified in promoting their product and vision in any way they see fit.

BTW, the "newbie" designation isn't because of the time you've been on the boards- I've been here since around the same time frame- it's because of your post count.

All you have to decide is what to do with the time give to you....
    http://www.woodchuckproductions.net

7. Likes MarkMe2004, Omar likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    They are offering it to you.

They aren't "forcing" you to buy it.
    "Buy the Kinect with the console, or don't have the console at all," is not an offering. It's a constricted choice. Indeed, if I want a (new) Xbox One, then I'm forced to also buy the Kinext. That's simply the reality of it.

9. Likes D3seeker, 33x likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    I might take jabs here and there when it comes to Ms but I can't deny being optimistic about what they're doing with the xb1. Just the other day I saw a Samsung tv ad that had the basic Kinect facial recognition and voice/gesture controls and that got me thinking. This is definitely the next step for televisions, I mean they already have apps. Imagine a TV set (obviously connected to the Internet) that recognizes your face and brings over your favorite Channel preset (assuming you haven't been fapping too much ) to your friends tv set!

In that regards, I can see why they are trying to incorporate these things into the xb1. The NFL thing, I'll Definitely use and my ps4 will be passing through the hdmi interface. In all, it's not really a bad multimedia console. I just think the messaging has been awful by ms

Last edited by YoungMullah88; 10-16-2013 at 05:38.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    What fool buys a wii u for 3rd party?

edit:lol
    Yeah dat one....

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    That only applies to us here though.
    Wait there are other places? Da fuq I care about them

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    I can't believe you $#@!ing said that $#@!. about as pathetic as those that say the ps3 had blu ray so what's the difference with kinect being packed in...

I wanted to see how loyal their diehard fanbase stayed before getting fed up.
    well let me tell you dude, we all got duped by Sony's plans there. yea, it helped a little but overall, it $#@!ed everyone up, no one won through that...well, no one except that other part of Sony that has nothing to do with gaming.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    "Buy the Kinect with the console, or don't have the console at all," is not an offering. It's a constricted choice. Indeed, if I want a (new) Xbox One, then I'm forced to also buy the Kinext. That's simply the reality of it.
    All offerings are a constricted choice.
    Its the fundamental basis of the worlds economy.

Forum Overseer

All offerings are a constricted choice.
    Its the fundamental basis of the worlds economy.
    yes but some products are better at offering what people would want. that's how you become a good product company. MS knows this wouldn't be popular but they obviously are not worried because they have bigger plans.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    yes but some products are better at offering what people would want. that's how you become a good product company. MS knows this wouldn't be popular but they obviously are not worried because they have bigger plans.
    They are betting that what they offer will be popular with the average consumer. Not necessarily you or me.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    And that Bet might just pay off for them...but then they make money from accessories and games which average consumers don't buy like we do

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    LordVenger
    Items User name style
    Me, I just get a laugh every time an MS employee in one of these videos tries to claim it is the most powerful platform, after MS marketing made the mistake of admitting that was never their intention. I wouldn't find it funny if they'd been claiming since day one it was just as powerful as the PS4, but they flat out admitted they were aiming for affordable, and compromised on the tech as a result. The irony being they still ended up the more expensive platform. Even if Sony had kept the new camera mandatory they'd still have been cheaper, just not by as pleasing a number.

The other thing that makes me laugh is that they are still trying to make promises about Cloud that aren't proven to be realistic with the cloud compute stuff, while emphasizing the track everything you do, everywhere you go aspects.

Super Elite
    Are you sure Sony have not a trick up there sleave like this with Gaiki or however it is spelt?
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Mynd,

When Microsoft remove Kinect from the "bundle", and the price is still the same, I'll buy you whichever game (non special edition lol) on the Xbox One you choose.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I would love to experience the Kinect and they are definitely presenting the console in a much better way. however, did anyone else find a scary part in there?

hint: listen from 1:44 to 2:10. it sounds amazing and yet if you think about it...take a moment and think why they would ever need all that information?

http://allthingsd.com/20131007/micro...x-ones-kinect/

oh no no of course, it's because controllers getting switched is such a huge problem, they had to spend billions to come up with a solution where a camera would know which one is the right one.

That's not the scary part. You won't hear the scary part from Microsoft. However, all of that data is related to the scary part...............

This is the scary part, and why they want all that data, and why I think a camera, microphone, required internet on, and data harvesting is something I REALLY don't want.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...-skype-report/

And just think. For the small price of just $100 more than a PS4 you too can have the inside of your house monitored by the NSA 24/7. Oh yeah, sign me up for that!

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    It's not complicated: Plenty of people want to buy the XB1 to enjoy it and its games. So, naturally, they're not exactly pleased at the prospect of having to spend an extra $100 for something they deem unnecessary or useless. Microsoft is forcing people to but the Kinect, not the XB1.
    never knew MS had said kinect adds $100 to the price. but thanks for that.

as far as kinect goes. I'm getting Xbox 1st because I want to use kinect and being in every box, all devs can make use of it.

now my other nextGen box comes with a blue light equipped joypad that is basically useless since they removed the camera to keep the price down. do hate being forced to pay for things that are useless to me.

Forum Overseer

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post

as far as kinect goes. I'm getting Xbox 1st because I want to use kinect and being in every box, all devs can make use of it.

now my other nextGen box comes with a blue light equipped joypad that is basically useless since they removed the camera to keep the price down. do hate being forced to pay for things that are useless to me.
    lol pretty sure it costs a lot more than $100. Kinect 1.0 cost $150, what makes you think 2 years down the road, a completely revamped version would cost $100? Think of it more like $150 or more. they might still be subsidizing it like Sony did with Blu-ray. because they know what it will bring them back. and no, it's not the Kinect Sports sales lol.

They are betting that what they offer will be popular with the average consumer. Not necessarily you or me.
    who are these average consumers? no one average is going to buy this dude...it's all about the hardcore at launch and you & i both know they have spoken and precisely why MS had to change some things around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    That's not the scary part. You won't hear the scary part from Microsoft. However, all of that data is related to the scary part...............

This is the scary part, and why they want all that data, and why I think a camera, microphone, required internet on, and data harvesting is something I REALLY don't want.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...-skype-report/

And just think. For the small price of just $100 more than a PS4 you too can have the inside of your house monitored by the NSA 24/7. Oh yeah, sign me up for that!
    oh yea, i heard about that a while back. thing is dude, before i thought it was just one of those, "govt. must have forced them to do this" and they may have but with this technology that i still think is amazing and i would love it for the purpose of gaming only, is something that NSA would love to get their hands on...not to mention, other ad investors.

i'm not even a big tin-foil guy, i just hate people selling your information for money. you know discover card does that? i didn't know until i worked there 10 years ago. you have to call them and ask them to stop that from happening, they will never tell you that they do it.

anyway, at this point, there are more things that point to them using the data collected for sharing it with advertising companies than using it for video games. none of those features would be needed in video games...maybe the voice one but not the expressions and what you're doing and how many people are there...$#@!ing scary!

Finally You Are Free
    Actually, it's probably more. The console is 500$, 100$ more than the more powerful PS4. Microsoft has revealed that the Kinect costs almost as much to manufacture as the console itself. They've also stated that they're planning to, or almost, break even on their sale profits. Even if we're broad here, this places the Kinect anywhere from 150-250ish dollars to manufacture (which makes sense given the costs of the previous, less advanced models for the Xbox 360). Consumers will be adsorbing this unnecessary/unwanted additional cost. You're welcome.

25. Likes Two4DaMoney , Omar likes this post
    Forum Overseer

^see now we have a more weighted opinion on it. like i said in one of the kinect 2 threads, i would definitely buy a console built only around the kinect tech for at least $250. It's an amazing tech and it would work awesome if the console was integrated. MS is definitely subsidizing it and it makes sense because the rest of the console is also built with low-cost components but good enough to keep up next-gen games.

overall it seems like a great system, i still think it has a really good chance to take off in the US due to the TV stuff and how it might just take over Roku as well as other media players + google TV + apple TV and also has apps integrated well. they have a killer combination for sure. but why they're so reluctant to not remove Kinect...when, so far, they virtually have nothing to show for it (especially since it is going to cost them so much money to make it and the software needed to run it), only makes me think that their plans go beyond gaming with Kinect.

There's no possible way that gaming is going to give them enough money to recoup those costs and make a decent profit or even break even. no way possible. I wouldn't be surprised if we find out later that MS actually wrote a check for their gaming division to give them Kinect 2 and develop software for it for free because of what it was going to bring them in return.

looking at the original Wii's fame, you have to realize that the idea was to keep the costs down and profits up, or it doesn't work. They have a console that costs more than $500 and we don't know how much it cost them to make the software and not to mention the additional operating systems in there that are obviously designed half-n-half for gaming and non-gaming stuff.

I have to say that MS is at least doing it a lot better than how Sony did with Blu-ray because they just threw it in there and we had minimal benefits to it. there are benefits to the gamer when it comes to what MS is doing but they're also going to be invading your privacy and selling your information. expect to get more junk mail and interesting spot-on pop-ups

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost

i didnt know that not having a camera made the joypad useless How am I gonna play my games now?

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    No matter how many price cuts the xbone receive, as long as kinect 2.0 is in the box, people will always think about the console being cheaper without having kinect 2.0 packed in the box...

Xbox 360 4GB = $179
    Xbox 360 4GB/kinect = $249

MS painted this image of extra cost being associated with kinect 2.0 based off how they marketed kinect on the xbox 360. And as Sufi says above, you actually think kinect 2.0 isn't going to cost more than Kinect 1?

Balmer leaving, mattrick gone, certain investors wanting the xbox division gone...Rumored 3+Billion amd xbone dev + 100m controller dev + 1 Billion on games + 400m nfl deal...I wouldn't want the stress of working within that division at the moment. The diarrhea already hit the fan once. It'll get more ugly if the sales of the xbone and services don't take off as they planned.

Forum Overseer

I think it's stupid for the shareholders to want the gaming division gone though. MS is sitting on a gold mine and only they can make that work. Not Sony, not Apple, not Valve and certainly not Nintendo. MS has an opportunity that could make one of their divisions soar...however, at the expense of swindling its user base. Love it or hate it, they got it down and I think they will do better gaming-wise this generation than the last.

It's very clear why they weren't bothered by the slowing developments and closing out studios. with the new acquired studios and if this works out, they will likely invest a good amount in more games to keep the gamers reeled in. if you really think about it, it's not that bad...just something that a lot of people don't like to deal with...and that is solicitation and privacy.

if you are fine with that then X1 is an awesome deal. however, at this point, i'm skeptical as to what they will do with Kinect 2 gaming-wise. it would make sense for them to make this unit more attractive to bring the casual gamers...why they haven't done that yet...could be because they know casuals aren't going to buy it at launch maybe.

MS would be wise to push kinect 2 to where Nintendo never did push their Wii Remote + sensor. if MS can do that and keep a heft amount of gaming coming in...they have a billion-dollar industry by their balls and i'm not talking about the gaming industry

P.S. and someone actually said they would give their info for money so the market is there. if MS is smart, they should keep it open like google and actually share that wealth at the expense of personal data. it would be a win-win.
    Last edited by Omar; 10-16-2013 at 18:51.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    This guy says you can play games and watch entertainment without the Kinect so why doesn't MS offer a sku without Kinect? Obviously theyre passing the cost onto the consumer because they dont have confidence in Kinect selling enough as a standalone to recoup their money. If the Kinect isnt needed and therefore not an integral or essential part of the console then theres no justifiable reason to force it on your customers at $100 extra.
    You can see what they did to Ryse. Certainly it showed how much faith they have with Kinect even if its a mandatory item that comes with the Xbone.

Thread Information