Page 1 of 12 111 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

Xbox One is built for the future .

2. Likes Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    This guy says you can play games and watch entertainment without the Kinect so why doesn't MS offer a sku without Kinect? Obviously theyre passing the cost onto the consumer because they dont have confidence in Kinect selling enough as a standalone to recoup their money. If the Kinect isnt needed and therefore not an integral or essential part of the console then theres no justifiable reason to force it on your customers at $100 extra.

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    This guy says you can play games and watch entertainment without the Kinect so why doesn't MS offer a sku without Kinect? Obviously theyre passing the cost onto the consumer because they dont have confidence in Kinect selling enough as a standalone to recoup their money. If the Kinect isnt needed and therefore not an integral or essential part of the console then theres no justifiable reason to force it on your customers at $100 extra.
    Their vision from day one was to change the way we interact with our gaming console. When they announced that kinect was mandatory a lot of people were up in arms because they weren't comfortable with the idea. By still including the kinect in every box it gives hesitant customers time to get comfortable with kinect and figure out the advantages of its use own their own. In the end they will still achieve the same goal but they save face by not saying that you have to use the kinect every time you turn the console on. I also would like to add that no one is forcing anyone to buy this thing. People chose to be customers.

Now I ask why this is such a bad thing. Microsoft made a choice that would differentiate it from the competition and felt comfortable charging a premium for such capability. That alone is the justification.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm still considered a newbie here and have been keeping up with this forum since before the announcement of the ps3 or 360. Just thought that was funny.
    Last edited by MarkMe2004; 10-15-2013 at 21:15. Reason: additional comment.

5. Likes MacP, X2, Sub-stance1, EHY893 likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Good video. Still not convinced about Kinect but maybe my mind can be changed.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    lol, change the "xbox" word with "facebook", that video still applies.
    (_)
    ( _)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by MarkMe2004 View Post
    Their vision from day one was to change the way we interact with our gaming console. When they announced that kinect was mandatory a lot of people were up in arms because they weren't comfortable with the idea. By still including the kinect in every box it gives hesitant customers time to get comfortable with kinect and figure out the advantages of its use own their own. In the end they will still achieve the same goal but they save face by not saying that you have to use the kinect every time you turn the console on. I also would like to add that no one is forcing anyone to buy this thing. People chose to be customers.

Now I ask why this is such a bad thing. Microsoft made a choice that would differentiate it from the competition and felt comfortable charging a premium for such capability. That alone is the justification.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm still considered a newbie here and have been keeping up with this forum since before the announcement of the ps3 or 360. Just thought that was funny.
    Wow that sounded like marketing bull$#@!. Why is it a bad thing? Because it adds $100-$150 to the cost of the console. That's a bad thing for consumers. Most of Xbox's customer's, especially those willing to pay early adopter premiums have no interest in the Kinect and would rather use that money to buy additional games. That sounds like a pretty terrible deal for the customer.

Oh but wait, the Kinect can be a REMOTE CONTROL AND CHANGE THE CHANNEL! Wow a $150 remote control, what a $#@!ing steal! Oh wait, 99% of the world doesn't have that functionality and not even every US cable provider does it.

Lower the price $100 and throw in Kinect for free or GTFO.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    @MarkMe2004:
    I think you're giving MS too much credit when you mention their "vision". As I see it they are pretty confident about kinect. They are expecting to buy over the casual market with it.
    But they're over-selling.

[Bundling kinect with One] won't affect their sales for the first year. The die-hard fans are either gonna embrace the kinect OR swallow the bitter pill. What's happening is that regular gamers are having second thoughts and jumping the fence, and along with the regular gamers comes the casuals. This is what it's about. Microsoft are trying to prevent mass evacuation of the xbox.

Back to their vision. Once that one year has passed and they have their share of the regular gamers and loyal fan-base, their betting on that publishers will be forced to see that people want kinect games. Thus, creating the circle, which Kyle Bosman so aptly explained on his show
    Last edited by K2D; 10-15-2013 at 22:34.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Dedicated Member

It's up to consumers to "justify" that decision, or not. If including Kinect and charging $100 more leads to MS losing a significant percentage of marketshare, developer support, fans, and people willing to commit to future generations of Xbox then Microsoft's choice is not only NOT justified, it's indefensible.

I used to think Nintendo made the most stupid decision in console gaming history with the Wii U. Seemed obvious to me that the system was going to fail because Nintendo turned their back on everything that made the Wii popular.

Now I think MS has made an equally, if not more stupid decision with the Xbox One. Like Nintendo, MS seems to have turned their back on everything that made people like the Xbox 360, namely the games and Xbox Live. Now the games seems more of an afterthought with the primary focus on watching streaming video, social networking, and using voice and gesture commands to control it.

$100 more than the competition but that extra money doesn't translate into better gaming. I honestly don't see how the Xbox One can end up as anything other than a commercial failure.

I'm not buying one, and I'm one of the very few people who had both the original Xbox and the 360 on launch day.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Their vision from day one was to change the way we interact with our gaming console. When they announced that kinect was mandatory a lot of people were up in arms because they weren't comfortable with the idea. By still including the kinect in every box it gives hesitant customers time to get comfortable with kinect and figure out the advantages of its use own their own. In the end they will still achieve the same goal but they save face by not saying that you have to use the kinect every time you turn the console on. I also would like to add that no one is forcing anyone to buy this thing. People chose to be customers. Now I ask why this is such a bad thing. Microsoft made a choice that would differentiate it from the competition and felt comfortable charging a premium for such capability. That alone is the justification. EDIT: I just realized that I'm still considered a newbie here and have been keeping up with this forum since before the announcement of the ps3 or 360. Just thought that was funny.
    Wow that read like a MS marketing/PR statement. Of course MS "felt comfortable charging a premium", why wouldn't they when theyre instantly recouping their cost at the expensive of their customers? lol I dont see the justification, sorry.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-15-2013 at 22:22.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Wow that read like a MS marketing/PR statement. Of course MS "felt comfortable charging a premium", why wouldn't they when theyre instantly recouping their cost at the expensive of their customers? lol I dont see the justification, sorry.
    The problem was they didn't wan't to ENCHANCE the way I interact with my games. I want to buy, beat, put on a shelf, resell at my leisure.
    They said 'shrinkwrape license'. .. .no thanks , they just want to grab the market and strangle the life out of it.
    I'm done with them. There are MORE options than ever to game on, my second system will GREATLY expand my options, with either a Wii U or an Android platform, or if Apple ever makes Apple TV into something more akin to the new Android gaming systems or just one of those. Heck, after all of this I may just open my OUYA and use it!

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

You make too much sense. I've yet to meet this entity that forces people to buy this thing.....lol

Super Elite
    I would believe it more if they don't reverse another policy lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    MS should have stuck to their drm console. I would have loved to see how it performed once it actually got to the market.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

16. Likes x_terna, John Willaford likes this post
    Superior Member
    The reaction around here is like MS is holding a gun to every gamers head and forcing them to buy the One. If people aren't happy with Kinect being packaged with it, they can simply not buy it.

There are are obviously a lot of gamers out there that have no problem paying $500 for it.

It's like Chevy owners complaining that Ford charges too much for their cars. Why do they care? Why do people with no intention of buying the One complain about the price?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

18. Likes Yungstar 2006 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    The reaction around here is like MS is holding a gun to every gamers head and forcing them to buy the One. If people aren't happy with Kinect being packaged with it, they can simply not buy it.

There are are obviously a lot of gamers out there that have no problem paying $500 for it.

It's like Chevy owners complaining that Ford charges too much for their cars. Why do they care? Why do people with no intention of buying the One complain about the price?

God forbid that people share a different opinion to you xbone fans.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

20. Likes IWAO, Shingo , mistercrow likes this post
    Dedicated Member

I am a Chevy owner who's only in the last 5 years seen a Ford aside from a Mustang worth owning. The Fusion and Focus are very very nice cars. I love my 04 Impala too much though, it serves me real well.

First car WAS a Ford, verrry not good memories.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I love the idea of the IR blaster, certainly an ace in the hole form a marketing point of view. Not something Sony will be able to integrate easily either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post

Oh but wait, the Kinect can be a REMOTE CONTROL AND CHANGE THE CHANNEL! Wow a $150 remote control, what a $#@!ing steal! Oh wait, 99% of the world doesn't have that functionality and not even every US cable provider does it.
    You do know what an IR blaster is right? Its guaranteed to work on all devices that use a remote.

While die hards will go "eww" at Kinect, you show this to the average joe consumer, show them that they can turn the volume up or down, change channel turn their friggin AC on and off with this all from voice? Sold.
    Last edited by mynd; 10-16-2013 at 00:57.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    MS should have stuck to their drm console. I would have loved to see how it performed once it actually got to the market.
    Yep, I've been saying the same thing also. I wish they would have stayed with there vision...obviously people voted with there wallets, hence the low pre order numbers which prompted the 180s

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The reaction around here is like MS is holding a gun to every gamers head and forcing them to buy the One. If people aren't happy with Kinect being packaged with it, they can simply not buy it. There are are obviously a lot of gamers out there that have no problem paying $500 for it. It's like Chevy owners complaining that Ford charges too much for their cars. Why do they care? Why do people with no intention of buying the One complain about the price? Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    So because we aren't buying it then we're not allowed to discuss it unless of course we're praising it? The thread is posted here in order to discuss the topic be it positive or negative. Seems like some people here just want this section to be an Xbox clubhouse where everybody just circle jerks to everything that MS does. News flash - its an Xbox sub forum on a Playstation site. So people who aren't buying an X1 are still going to come in here to discuss it. So instead of crying about it every time somebody posts something negative about X1 try coming up with an intelligent counter argument or go find an Xbox centric site where every post is unadulturated praise for the Xbox brand and MS. Surely that would be more mature and productive than derailing the thread with boo hoo, people are talking bad about the Xbox again. They shouldn't post here.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-16-2013 at 01:05.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim

I guess they think that if they keep saying the same thing over and over it will come true. Words are powerful but not that powerful.....lol

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III

Basically, yes, they are holding a gun to my head. I want to play the exclusives... so I need to buy the console. I dislike the one option they gave. I did buy the console, but that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed in their money grabbing.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I guess they think that if they keep saying the same thing over and over it will come true. Words are powerful but not that powerful.....lol
    lol So much irony.

Super Elite
    I hate when companies say built for the future with reversed policies or glitchy hardware and software *not saying MS but companies in general. Come out first and a couple of months before ANY company comes out with this claim.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Basically, yes, they are holding a gun to my head. I want to play the exclusives... so I need to buy the console. I dislike the one option they gave. I did buy the console, but that doesn't mean I'm not disappointed in their money grabbing.
    Did you complain about being charged for the Wii sensor bar?
    Did consumers?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Did you complain about being charged for the Wii sensor bar?
    Did consumers?
    Um, I wasn't charged for the Wii sensor bar, and that actually was/is needed for the console to work properly. The Kinect, isn't.

31. Likes IWAO, K2D , PS4THEWIN, Christopher likes this post

Thread Information