Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Was It Wise to Release Those Games on the PS3?

This year, three games came out that are arguably classics (according to review scores and reception):
    Ni No Kuni
    The Last of Us
    Beyond Two Souls

All 3 are PS3 exclusives.

Okay, correct me if I am wrong, but Nintendo and Microsoft haven't released anything big or blockbuster on the Wii or Xbox 360 in a while. They focused on the Wii U and Xbox One.

Imagine those 3 great games being launch titles. Do you think it was wise for those games to be released on the PS3 when the PS4 comes out this year?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

2. Likes patthebaker321 likes this post
    Super Elite
    I think their being released on the current gen gives customers something to chew on, proves that Sony is committed, portrays the company and its console in a grand light, and keeps people talking about the brand-name due to the activity caused by its late-year exclusives, which thus turns talks in the direction of PS4.

Besides--all of these games have taken quite a while to develop, so far as I recall. Had they been pushed to PS4 they might not have tapped the same potential that they did on PS3. The people who made them did so using tricks they'd tested and established with previous projects on the console.

PSU Live Streamer
    While the argument could be made that one of those games could help drive initial sales of the ps4, in the end it comes down to total potential sales figures. It's easier to sell millions of copies of a game when you have ~80mil install base. And its far more reasonable to have games that are of an established franchise to help drive a console launch than it is to have new, untested IPs try and make the push.

That all being said however, it would not surprise me if TLOU had a ps4 version of it released. Would not shock me at all. Whether it releases for ps4 on its own, or it gets boxed in with TLOU2. Something tells me it'll happen. And I'll be all over it when it does.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

5. Likes patthebaker321, The Black Wolf likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Good posts Forcedme and shepard!

However, doesn't new gens always include new IPs? So do you think it's better for new IPs to release later in a console's life than be launch titles like Uncharted was?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

7. Likes patthebaker321 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    yes, makes sense to have games you want on the console you want
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    I don't think it matters too much....to me at least.

Sony has proven to me that they are deticated to giving the gamer a unique experience with their original and/or quality games. Heavy Rain, 2 Souls, Infamous, The Last of Us, Uncharted, GOW,...and others.

If I want to play COD online year after year....or Halo...then I would buy and X1. Deadrising is the only game I want for the X1 and if I'm correct that game isn't even a first party title.....it's just a paid exclusive. Which is down right lazy on their part.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Those games have been in development long before any developer had his hands on a PS4 dev kit. It wouldn't have made the least bit of sense to release them as launch titles.

11. Likes PhillyPhreak likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    Not everyone is going to make the switch to next-gen right away. There is still a sizable user base for Sony to tap into with the PS3 (77+ million) so it makes sense. It also shows users that Sony will continue to support older systems, which helps build trust and confidence from consumers.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

13. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Financially it'd matter, certainly. In the case of Ni No Kuni the last thing it'd need would be exorbitant development costs, low install base matched with the niche disposition of the subject matter. Wouldn't be financially viable, yo. The first and second point can be referred to for the other games listed, albeit not as strongly. That bein' said, consider when these games hit pre-production, PS4 dev kits were either scarce or patently unavailable, release date was unknown, plus Sony were still trying to show how just how strongly the PS3 was. The aforementioned games have shown there's still fire in the 'ol belly!

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

15. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Basically, is the argument (whether it was wise or not) about releasing to do with graphics? In which case I would disagree. I don[t think we can judge those games using only that metric. And we cannot look at game development process as a Mr Potatohead part - as in, we can't just say, "oh just increase teh gfx and release it on teh PS4 lulz" and call it a day.

I take it, that there would be meetings and design processes affected with t regards to art style, technical spec for graphics, and how it affects gameplay/story. I'm sure there are more aspects that interlock - but my point is, the process isn't that static (at least how I understand the way/complexity game development process is).

Also, in terms of sales and financial return of investment, it wouldn't be wise to have 3 new IPs within a launch window of a console generation (install base, brand recognition etc). Especially with more niche titles like NNK and Beyond.

Not saying they wouldn't have been well received, but in terms of possible sales, these game types would not have translated so well.

In short, no, it's not a mistake to have these release on PS3. Especially since we got to play them this early.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Ni No Kuni was already over a year late in the west. haha. I was dying in wait for that gem :P

Super Elite
    It would be better if they could release it on both consoles.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    I see a lot of people around the net who want Uncharted 1-3, The Last of Us and more on PS4 and upscaled better running versions.

That's all well and good for a cash in.. but I'd rather developers put that effort towards new experiences

20. Likes MacP likes this post

Not trying to be rude but why do people fail to understand this in the end it comes down to total potential sales figures. It's easier to sell millions of copies of a game when you have ~80mil install base. quote from #3.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    In my opinion that was the only one possible scenario. We all know that ND love to create new titles every gen and The Last of Us was some kind of thest for them and how much freedome Sony will give them. Im still think taht we'll see next Uncharted and TLOUS on ps4, but new IP will hit first.Ni No Kuni is also on its place, ps4 vesrion could be gorgeous, but as launch title its not the strong one.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Just release 'em as full downloads on the Network. Problem solved. New PlayStation adopters can see what they've been missing - hey, presto!

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    Good posts Forcedme and shepard!

However, doesn't new gens always include new IPs? So do you think it's better for new IPs to release later in a console's life than be launch titles like Uncharted was?
    I think a stand-alone game being introduced at the end of a console's cycle is a great way to send off system. It's still up in the air regarding what will happen with Last of Us, but Ni No Kuni was certainly its own game, and Beyond: Two Souls will likely be the same. Final Fantasy XII, (I think) Shadow of the Colossus, and [insert your memorable game here] came near the end of PS2, and they were certainly great beasts to show off the system in its final stages before PS3 came along.

That's one issue I DO have with PS4 around the corner; everything seems to be a sequel, and the new IPs that HAVE been introduced (Knack, The Order, Drivenclub) don't look very interesting--bland colors, thuper therious mature gamethes, or very boring platforming. Of course they're all still in development.

But that said, I agree with others that the wiser choice would be to allow stand-alone titles from trusted developers be released on a console with an already massive user base, rather than force them onto a new system to be used as carrots.

EDIT: Okami! Remember Okami? $#@! yeah you remember Okami. Remember how pretty and gorgeous and magical it was? Neverind that it was a boring as $#@! I-wish-I-was-Zelda knock off (Zelda is boring as $#@!, too, god damn, I used to love those games), just remember when you first $#@!ing SAW IT? That's a way to bow out a console.
    Last edited by Forcedme; 10-16-2013 at 16:03.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Was it wise to release these before the PS4 launch? Hell yes it was. These were games that were multiple years in the making. There are multiple good reasons for it.

1.) Install base. Close out the market selling to a large install base instead of just investing money in development on what will initially be a very small install base, which the vast majority of will already be PS3 owners.

2.) Demonstrate how powerful the console brand is towards the end of it's life by giving people games that are the best at the end of the life of a console.

3.) Show that you're committed to the long life support of a console and not just slamming the door shut when you start working on that next console.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    They should have saved Puppeteer for PS4 since they didnt market it at all and just sent it out to die in the cold. It was a good game and it would have probably done better and definitely would have been more noticed if it was a PS4 launch title.

PSN ID
    FINEST
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    This year, three games came out that are arguably classics (according to review scores and reception):
    Ni No Kuni
    The Last of Us
    Beyond Two Souls

All 3 are PS3 exclusives.

Okay, correct me if I am wrong, but Nintendo and Microsoft haven't released anything big or blockbuster on the Wii or Xbox 360 in a while. They focused on the Wii U and Xbox One.

Imagine those 3 great games being launch titles. Do you think it was wise for those games to be released on the PS3 when the PS4 comes out this year?
    beyond two souls isn't a classic

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Finest View Post
    beyond two souls isn't a classic
    I think it is.

29. Likes HellsJester likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I would have liked TLOU and Beyond to be release titles. They both seem great and would have been amazing experiences to kick off a new generation.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Selected Members Council
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    I think it is.
    How is a game with mixed reviews (72 percent metacritic) and limited gameplay considered a classic? The OP brought up review scores and reception but she must only be focusing on the good reviews for Beyond: Two Souls.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 10-20-2013 at 23:27.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Dedicated Member
    Imho, it wasn't wise to make Gran Turismo 6 a ps3 game, it should've been a launch ps4 game. It is releasing so close to the ps4 launch. It would've been great to see gt6 and forza 5 battle it out at launch. And now with drive club delayed, it would've made all the more sense to have gt6 as a launch ps4 game.

Ancient
    GT6 should have been a PS4 title, in fact a lot of games should be a PS4 title
    Castlevania 2 isnt out till 2014.

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Thread Information