Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

GEEK: DRM for the PS4 arrives in the form of account locked PSN games

http://www.geek.com/games/drm-for-th...games-1574067/

DRM for the PS4 arrives in the form of account locked PSN games

Geek Magazine
    Games By*Russell Holly*
    Oct. 16, 2013 9:30 am

. Sony was quick to jump on the evil Microsoft bandwagon when it suited them earlier this year, but it looks like they forgot to mention what will happen when you try to purchase games through PSN on PS4. Spoiler alert, Sony’s digital*DRM*policies are less than friendly to those interested in sharing.If you purchase a game on PSN right now with your PlayStation 3, anyone with access to the console has access to the game. The purchasing system on the*PS3*is fairly open, allowing you to have the game on multiple consoles with your account setup. This system used to allow for up to five locations for the game to exist, but has since been limited to two. It looks like the*PSN*on Sony’s next console will decrease that number from two to one, and will also bind the game specifically to your account.

. The social networking-esque layout to the*PS4*makes it painfully obvious that most people aren’t going to want to share their account with others. Your friends, your games, and your social statuses will create a highly personalized experience. This is largely a good thing, and the UI looks nice as well, but as a result there’s not likely to be a lot of account sharing for most people.It also causes a unique new problem for PSN purchases, which will be bound to the account of the user making the purchase. You’d have to either buy the game twice or share your account in order for anyone else to play it.

. This is identical to how the Xbox 360 currently operates, and will be similar to how the*Xbox One*operates, but is largely a step back for PlayStation users. The Xbox One family sharing system will provide a more functional experience for how things are shared across Xbox Live users, but since those you share with won’t have access to the whole game it’s not a big enough difference to clearly say it is better than*Sony’s implementation.It is interesting that Sony is taking this step backward in how they handle digital goods after leading the charge against Microsoft regarding their own DRM policies at their launch event.
    ~ Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman, in that case always be Batman. ~

~ Microsoft and l had a disagreement on the primary function of the Xbox One. I wanted to use it to play games and they wanted to use it to screw me.~

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    It's a small problem for some, but it's not as big as they make it out to be.

This is Sony though I'm just waiting for the day to come again they take away certain features again. Edit: (Possibly I should say)
    Last edited by Arimax; 10-16-2013 at 20:33.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Lies I say, I don't see Sony allowing multiple accounts on one playstation 4 with 1 PS+ sub for all users, but not allow any users on that console to log into a different PS to download their games.

Then there's also Steams game sharing & MS still sounds like they'll be adding in the sharing function again down the line.. I'd say it'll be the same as PS3 where some games couldn't be shared (well played at the same time) WarHawk was one off the games.
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    From their own source: “One-time license fee for downloads to up to 2 console systems that are associated with the purchasing account.”

What kind of crap *article* is this?
    Last edited by K2D; 10-16-2013 at 23:57.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

5. Likes patthebaker321 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    knack

One-time license fee for play on purchasing account’s designated, primary PS4™ system and other PS4™ systems when signed in with purchasing account.

Purchase or use of this item is subject to the PlayStation®Network Terms of Service, this item’s use restrictions, and other applicable terms located at http://www.us.playstation.com/support/useragreements. If you do not wish to accept all these terms, do not purchase or use this item. One-time license fee for downloads to up to 2 console systems that are associated with the purchasing account.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Uhm, first this policy isn't new, it's been known since E3. Second, it was DRM on disc based games which is what we've been able to freely trade/share on previous generations, that's been in question.

This is FUD.

8. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    This is exactly how Steam has operated in like forever, you purchase a game and it's tied to your account. The only difference between Steam and PSN is that with Steam you can install it anywhere you like and play the games your own anywhere you like, however only one machine can be logged in at any one time in order to play the games (if not in offline mode).

To be honest I don't see a problem with what they're doing, if your PS4 died then all you would need to do is go to your PSN account via a browser and de-active all devices associated with your account then the next machine will work as is.

If you have multiple family members with accounts then just play on the account with the game available on.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Some misinformation in there. In short it is basically as the PS3 currently operates. Is it perfect? No, IMO it's not. Until they set up some kind of digital trading system it won't be. But this isn't "omg magaton". It's business as usual.

11. Likes patthebaker321 likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    From what Shu is saying, you can have games installed on two systems and play them at the same time.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

13. Likes patthebaker321, Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    This article is crap.

It also causes a unique new problem for PSN purchases, which will be bound to the account of the user making the purchase. You’d have to either buy the game twice or share your account in order for anyone else to play it.

. This is identical to how the Xbox 360 currently operates,
    Bollocks. The author doesn't know $#@!, close this thread, its full of misinformation, lies and down right "guess work".
    if he cant even get how the current systems work, he aint ever going to get how the next gen systems work.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    From what Shu is saying, you can have games installed on two systems and play them at the same time.

Yeah, this was stated right after E3 as well. You can have it on your Home machine (the machine registered under your PSN ID.) And another machine you're logged into at the time.

16. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    Yeah, this was stated right after E3 as well. You can have it on your Home machine (the machine registered under your PSN ID.) And another machine you're logged into at the time.
    Yup, this is the the 360 been doing it for years and it works well, home machine got access to it whenever, no matter who is signed in. Sign in on a friends machine and you have access to the same content, while you are signed in.

18. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    This article is crap. Bollocks. The author doesn't know $#@!, close this thread, its full of misinformation, lies and down right "guess work". if he cant even get how the current systems work, he aint ever going to get how the next gen systems work.
    /thread.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I wouldn't even need to do this if they just let me change my PSN accounts' region to US.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    I don't think I've ever done what the situation is everything. Only time I've ever used my account was for dlc on my friends console for COD. Would that fall under this rule? Does this change the current format of shared content on PS3 to PS4? Just kind of confused on what they are saying.

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    So the main article is wrong BUT Sony ripped one out of the 360 book.....

I mean, even given we knew some for of DRM was coming along with "the progression of things"

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    So the main article is wrong BUT Sony ripped one out of the 360 book.....

I mean, even given we knew some for of DRM was coming along with "the progression of things"
    They model a lot of what the PS4 does now on the 360 experience. That's not bad thing. Things like multiple users signed in etc is only going to benefit the PS4.

24. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I must be crazy, b/c I see no problem with this.

You buya game and download it....it's yours. If you go around downloading the game on a bunch of other consoles and friends houses or something....thats just like the whole Napster thing and you're not sharing. Thats basically just giving away a game.

I guess the only problem I see is what happens if your console dies? If the game can only be downloaded on one console hows that going to work?

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post

You buya game and download it....it's yours. If you go around downloading the game on a bunch of other consoles and friends houses or something....thats just like the whole Napster thing and you're not sharing. Thats basically just giving away a game.

I guess the only problem I see is what happens if your console dies? If the game can only be downloaded on one console hows that going to work?
    Well Sony allowed it on PS3 with up to 3 accounts now I believe. I think it was originally 5. They knew what people were going to do with it.

27. Likes Saigon likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post

You can unregister your existing console as your primary console and register the new one as your primary.

And it can be downloaded on multiple consoles, you just have to be logged into consoles which are not your primary to play it. The primary console will play it when someone else is logged in as well. It's like being able to take a disc with you to a friends house and keep a disc at home

Power Member
    Items User name style
    You can unregister your existing console as your primary console and register the new one as your primary.

And it can be downloaded on multiple consoles, you just have to be logged into consoles which are not your primary to play it. The primary console will play it when someone else is logged in as well. It's like being able to take a disc with you to a friends house and keep a disc at home
    Yeah, it will have a feature like MS's license transfer system, where you can basically take you content and deregistered it from one main console and add it to another.

eg:
    http://support.xbox.com/en-NZ/xbox-l...wnload-content

Otherwise, as Taz says, you have to be logged into that console.

The ability to have multiple logs in is really what is cool about this though.
    Now on your friends PS4, your friend can still be logged in, you can be logged into his machine as well, and you both can share each others content at his place.
    Last edited by mynd; 10-16-2013 at 22:56.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style

Okay, so this article is stating that will no longer be the case. But we're not believing the article.. Am I following this right?

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    So basically DLC won't work on other systems like on PS3? Like I said, with COD my buddy always bought the DLC. We were a bit indifferent about it but he would put his profile on our PS3 so we could download and play with him. That won't work anymore? I'm just kind of confused on if it is talking about the system account or the PSN account. Basically, if he purchased it and logged in to play COD that DLC wouldn't work on our PSN if he is logged in?

Superior Member

PSN ID
    XSpike
    Pretty annoying as I use my console to buy stuff, and now and then my brother may want to download a PS+ game on his console or something. So if I put my console as my master PSN, my brother would then have to be logged in as me to play the game (logging me out & can't play together...)

Only way round it really is to make my master account on his damn PS4 and I'll just log into my account on his master ID console (my console). A very pointless change if this happens & a wee bit annoying.
    Bow down before Drippy - Lord High Lord of the Fairies

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    So basically DLC won't work on other systems like on PS3? Like I said, with COD my buddy always bought the DLC. We were a bit indifferent about it but he would put his profile on our PS3 so we could download and play with him. That won't work anymore? I'm just kind of confused on if it is talking about the system account or the PSN account. Basically, if he purchased it and logged in to play COD that DLC wouldn't work on our PSN if he is logged in?
    If you want to play DLC your buddy downloads to his PS4 you either:

Go to his place.
    Get him to come to your place and sign in with his account.
    It's unlikely he will be allowed to sign in to PSN twice however.
    If he wants to play you at his house he'd need a 2nd account at his place.

So your signed in as him on your PS4. He's on his PS4 but not signed in as him.

Or you could stop being cheap and buy the DLC

Thread Information