Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran

DICE: Making BF4 look the same on all platforms would be the coward's way out

DICE aims to make Battlefield 4 look as handsome as possible on every platform available - and is accordingly braced for criticism, as fans pick up on the inevitable discrepancies between different versions of the game. Speaking to OXM at the British Academy Of Film & Television Arts centre in London yesterday, the franchise's executive producer Patrick Bach predicted that some players would "nag" the developer over the details, but insisted that DICE would never compromise for the sake of graphical parity.

Battlefield games have always lent themselves to controversy along these lines, thanks to DICE's continuing obsession with photorealism, which is obviously dependent on the fidelity the supporting hardware is capable of. As an Xbox One and PS4 launch title, Battlefield 4 may be held to a particularly exacting standard.

"It's interesting you bringing that up," Bach mused, when I asked whether balancing expectations was tricky. "It gives me a flashback to Battlefield 3. We had that problem even back before the next gen consoles, where we made a game that looked amazing on the PC - the better the PC, the better that game looked - and then you had a game that looked amazing on PS3 and Xbox 360, but it didn't look as good as on PC, and people kept nagging us about that.

"It was like, you should compare it to other games on the same platform. And people said, 'OK but still - why doesn't it look as good as on PC? You don't care about the consoles.' Well, we're pushing your hardware as hard as we can, and I'm quite certain that we'll get that this summer as well - because we are pushing the PC, we're pushing the Xbox One and we're pushing the PS4, and also making sure that the Xbox 360 and PS3 software looks amazing, way better than it did for Battlefield 3.

"People will still bring it up," he went on. "We'll still get the comparison videos, where somebody will judge us based on that, rather than comparing us to other games on the platforms. You could take the coward's way out, and just set the bar at Xbox 360 and PS3, and make it so that all games look the same on all platforms, but that's not who we are. We want to do our best with the hardware."

As with Battlefield 3, DICE recommends that you install a hefty wodge of Battlefield 4 content to your Xbox 360 hard drive for the "best possible experience". There's a 2 GB mandatory install, plus a 12.4 GB optional install comprising 6.6 GB of single player content, and 5.8 GB multiplayer content.
    http://www.oxm.co.uk/64205/dice-maki...wards-way-out/

For example, Battlefield 4 will run at 900p resolution on the PS4, but only in 720p on the Xbox One. Bach says that no matter what, people will compared the different versions and “judge us based on that, rather than comparing us to other games on the platform”. http://bf4central.com/2013/10/dice-i...ook-platforms/
    I agree with their reasoning, best be judged because they made a game look the best possible on each console than be judged because they numbed down certain version because of the other device, I'm not trying to start any console war fuzz but here's another game pretty much making a statement about the PS4 being able to handle some more compared to the XBone.
    Last edited by daLa; 10-17-2013 at 16:15.

Superior Member
    I'd rather have higher FPS or more details at 60fps than 900p upscaled.
    If it's gonna be upscaled anyway, give me 720p and more details,smoother animation and more fps.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    You know, no resolution have been confirmed right?
    And the 900p thing was confirmed false.

Better yet make sure you post the actual article in your post and don't add to it in the quotes. That's downright dishonest.
    Also post your source..

Actual article.
    DICE aims to make Battlefield 4 look as handsome as possible on every platform available - and is accordingly braced for criticism, as fans pick up on the inevitable discrepancies between different versions of the game. Speaking to OXM at the British Academy Of Film & Television Arts centre in London yesterday, the franchise's executive producer Patrick Bach predicted that some players would "nag" the developer over the details, but insisted that DICE would never compromise for the sake of graphical parity.

Battlefield games have always lent themselves to controversy along these lines, thanks to DICE's continuing obsession with photorealism, which is obviously dependent on the fidelity the supporting hardware is capable of. As an Xbox One and PS4 launch title, Battlefield 4 may be held to a particularly exacting standard. (You might want to read our Xbox One hardware guide for Microsoft's own thoughts on how developers could make use of the console's beefed-up CPU, RAM allocation and GPU.)

Click to view larger image
    "It's interesting you bringing that up," Bach mused, when I asked whether balancing expectations was tricky. "It gives me a flashback to Battlefield 3. We had that problem even back before the next gen consoles, where we made a game that looked amazing on the PC - the better the PC, the better that game looked - and then you had a game that looked amazing on PS3 and Xbox 360, but it didn't look as good as on PC, and people kept nagging us about that.

"It was like, you should compare it to other games on the same platform. And people said, 'OK but still - why doesn't it look as good as on PC? You don't care about the consoles.' Well, we're pushing your hardware as hard as we can, and I'm quite certain that we'll get that this summer as well - because we are pushing the PC, we're pushing the Xbox One and we're pushing the PS4, and also making sure that the Xbox 360 and PS3 software looks amazing, way better than it did for Battlefield 3.

"People will still bring it up," he went on. "We'll still get the comparison videos, where somebody will judge us based on that, rather than comparing us to other games on the platforms. You could take the coward's way out, and just set the bar at Xbox 360 and PS3, and make it so that all games look the same on all platforms, but that's not who we are. We want to do our best with the hardware."

As with Battlefield 3, DICE recommends that you install a hefty wodge of Battlefield 4 content to your Xbox 360 hard drive for the "best possible experience". There's a 2 GB mandatory install, plus a 12.4 GB optional install comprising 6.6 GB of single player content, and 5.8 GB multiplayer content.

For a sense of how the results may differ on current gen platforms, check out the below Battlefield 3 with/without HD textures comparison video. As regards how it plays, here are my greatest feats and lowest moments in Battlefield 4 so far.

Buying it? Or has something else caught your eye? I've put together a feature on which Xbox One launch game you should buy first - in terms of visuals, at least, it's a toss-up between this and Forza Motorsport 5.
    http://www.oxm.co.uk/64205/dice-maki...wards-way-out/
    Last edited by mynd; 10-17-2013 at 04:21.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

4. Likes Zswordsman, F34R , BBK.. , emmerich likes this post
    Elite Guru

Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Good read.

I'm still undecided which platform to get BF4 on. I might just wait it out and skip the current gen version.

Veteran
    My bad I forgot the Source but you got it right, and the 900p vs 720p I took it from bf4central.com which is the best site for BF4 news.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I hope that more devs don't get caught up in the 'politics' and just max their games for each console. I don't really care for 3rd party games being gimped on PS4 because MS chose not to be laser focused on gaming prowess.

I wish I had a high powered PC to see BF4 running in its true glory. I might have to go to the electronic stores and see if there are some demos.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Power Member
    Items User name style

DICE: Making BF4 look the same on all platforms would be the coward's way out

Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    My bad I forgot the Source but you got it right, and the 900p vs 720p I took it from bf4central.com which is the best site for BF4 news.
    Except the actual article Is not on that site. You joined two entirely separate articles together. Crap from bf central and the actual article from oxm. You are now passing of something made up as part of legitimate article.

As for bf4central being a good source, they cant get their facts straight so I doubt it very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Last edited by mynd; 10-17-2013 at 09:16.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

9. Likes F34R likes this post
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    /standing applause

That's for any dev that pushes each system and doesn't just go for complete parity based on the lowest denominator.

/standing applause for mynd

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Except the actual article Is not on that site. You joined two entirely separate articles together. Crap from bf central and the actual article from oxm. You are now passing of something made up as part of legitimate article.

As for bf4central being a good source, they cant get their facts straight so I doubt it very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Fixed it, better? It's still truth anyway regardless of what you might believe, no need to be hurt just because your favorite console is the Xbone like I said I didn't start this thread with such a purpose.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by daLa View Post
    Fixed it, better? It's still truth anyway regardless of what you might believe, no need to be hurt just because your favorite console is the Xbone like I said I didn't start this thread with such a purpose.
    1/ It was never the truth, it was debunked by DICE themselves.....Johan Anderson tweeted Jackfrags tweet about 900p was false.

2/ Its now been confirmed both versions are PS4 is 720p.

Edit: Apprently only the PS4 verison has been confirmed as 720p.
    Last edited by mynd; 10-17-2013 at 20:56.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    My god, give daLa a break. And way to ass lick for correction of a simple mistake.

Articles have been posted without a source here before. Why make a big deal about it now? I'm sure daLa would be able to come up with the source if someone asked for it. No need to be an asshat.

Btw, I personally believe, that US Americans.... j/k, but seriously. I have a feeling that EA are scared as hell to let DICE make the PS4 version look better than the Xbox version. Or, Microsoft payed a massive sum to EA to make sure their version didn't look worse. I'm sure the truth was told about 900p, and then was taken back after getting payed. Why would an employee "accidentally" state something like that? Nothing anyone tells me will make me change my mind. I'm sorry.
    Last edited by KungMartin90; 10-17-2013 at 20:34.

14. Likes daLa likes this post
    Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Couldn`t give a **** quite honestly. As long as it plays good...

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    My god, give daLa a break. And way to ass lick for correction of a simple mistake.

Articles have been posted without a source here before. Why make a big deal about it now? I'm sure daLa would be able to come up with the source if someone asked for it. No need to be an asshat.
    Its not about the source, that's easy enough to find.
    Btw, I personally believe, that US Americans.... j/k, but seriously. I have a feeling that EA are scared as hell to let DICE make the PS4 version look better than the Xbox version. Or, Microsoft payed a massive sum to EA to make sure their version didn't look worse. I'm sure the truth was told about 900p, and then was taken back after getting payed. Why would an employee "accidentally" state something like that? Nothing anyone tells me will make me change my mind. I'm sorry.
    You will believe what you want to believe, no one is trying to change your mind.

Ultimate Veteran
    Well, we can either believe BF4Central from yesterday or a months-old tweet.

..That's really the dilemma.

In light of the recent statement that the BF4 devs aren't going to punk out and gimp the console versions to Lowest Common Denominator, it's truly a crap shoot. Make no mistake, XBone is the lowest common denominator for next-gen since there is no WiiU version. Personally, I'm not invested in the debate one way or the other because I am getting this for PC.

If the 900p statement is false, someone is bound to make a clarification.
    Last edited by Lefein; 10-17-2013 at 21:20.
    Who would have thought building a solid product that serves your customer's needs would beat out money, marketing, hype, and greed.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    Well, we can either believe BF4Central from yesterday or a months-old tweet.

..That's really the dilemma.

In light of the recent statement that the BF4 devs aren't going to punk out and gimp the console versions to Lowest Common Denominator, it's truly a crap shoot. Personally, I'm not invested in the debate one way or the other because I am getting this for PC.

If the 900p statement is false, someone is bound to make a clarification.
    I think the upshot is they really haven't confirmed anything and there is a lot of speculation.
    BF4central's article is rubbish, it was there attempt to editorialize some one else article. They have no source other than the debunked JF tweet form two months ago.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    Its not about the source, that's easy enough to find.

You will believe what you want to believe, no one is trying to change your mind.
    The fact that he added the BF4Central quote into the same quote as the article still ain't a big deal... unless there's some kinda ... insecurity going around? all you had to do was bring that to attention, no need to be an ass about it.

I'm sure his mission wasn't to misguide or troll anyone. I'm actually very sure that wasn't his intention.

But w/e. It's been sorted out now.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by KungMartin90 View Post
    The fact that he added the BF4Central quote into the same quote as the article still ain't a big deal... unless there's some kinda ... insecurity going around? all you had to do was bring that to attention, no need to be an ass about it.

I'm sure his mission wasn't to misguide or troll anyone. I'm actually very sure that wasn't his intention.

But w/e. It's been sorted out now.
    I'm sorry but it is a big deal, adding someones opinion to a factual article is a huge deal.
    I have no problems with them being attributed to different sources, but when you try and attribute them to a real interview form a reputable journalistic website, well lets just post whatever the **** we want and add it to real articles eh?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    whatever, anyway I believe the problem is corrected when looking at his quote. It shows two links now.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    whatever, anyway I believe the problem is corrected when looking at his quote. It shows two links now.
    Correct, I have no issue with it now.

Superior Member
    This is why I will buy every multiplat game second hand or at a cheaper price. Why should I pay full price for a half a** game that does not take advantage of the PS4? 1080p and 60fps are easily achievable on the PS4 as it has the power, the RAM and the storage space using Blu Ray. Us that choose the PS4 should not have so suffer because of the inferior XboxOne. People cannot be upset of the game is better on the PS4 and they will play it on the X1 if they want to anyway.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    This is why I will buy every multiplat game second hand or at a cheaper price. Why should I pay full price for a half a** game that does not take advantage of the PS4? 1080p and 60fps are easily achievable on the PS4 as it has the power, the RAM and the storage space using Blu Ray. Us that choose the PS4 should not have so suffer because of the inferior XboxOne. People cannot be upset of the game is better on the PS4 and they will play it on the X1 if they want to anyway.
    What games are 1080p 60fps on the PS4?

Superior Member
    I'm sorry but it is a big deal, adding someones opinion to a factual article is a huge deal.
    I have no problems with them being attributed to different sources, but when you try and attribute them to a real interview form a reputable journalistic website, well lets just post whatever the **** we want and add it to real articles eh?
    Well the fact that Battlefield is getting a lot of attention when its garbage is a bigger deal lol.

Superior Member
    What games are 1080p 60fps on the PS4?
    Both BF and COD devs claimed they were going to do it. The PS4 is capable so it should be done especially when third party games are not as big as the first party games.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkNemesis View Post
    I have to agree. As a pretty savvy PC builder (50+ gaming rigs just in the last 20 months) I have an understanding of what it takes on the hardware end to make this possible. PS4 should be able to swing this without strong use of AA and HBAO. Unfortunately, there is a push to get this out for next Gen and to compete with COD.

With that being said, some off screen footage of BF4 on PS4 has been quite stunning regardless.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    I'm getting it on PC either way. Theres a video by ReviewTechUSA on youtube that has some comparison pics and the 720p and 900p and I honestly don't see the difference....in the least.

Thread Information