Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Microsoft lowers shipping estimates by 12% citing production issues (CBOAT right?)

Sony’s PS4 Looks To Have The Edge Over Microsoft’s Xbox One

By Reece Taylor-LongPublished: 15 October 2013 11:57 AM UTCPosted in: News, Playstation News, Video Games, Xbox News

Tags: microsoft, next-gen, PS4, Sony, Video Games, Xbox One

Recent announcements are propelling the PlayStation 4 into the realm of most favored next gen console, while leaving the Xbox One in an uncertain position, going into the holiday season.
    Since the PS4 and the Xbox One have been announced, fans of each console have gone to war over which will reach the top spot for Christmas sales, but new data released could settle this argument before the launch date has even arrived. Production quantities suggest that the PlayStation’s sales will soar, after Sony’s CEO of computer entertainment announced that “production yields have been phenomenal”. Looking at the flip side of the coin, Microsoft recently lowered its shipment forecast by about 12% due to assembly issues, which will no doubt effect the amount of consoles they’ll be able to sell at launch.
    Not only do the sales productions not favor the Xbox, but a UK report stated that the PlayStation will crush Xbox’s processing speeds by about 50%. This in turn means that the Xbox will need to make users more than happy with the rest of the console’s features, in order to compete on equal footing with the PS4.
    With only a month away from the launch date, you’d think Microsoft would be pushing harder to help expedite more positive reports in the gaming world. Microsoft has already suffered backlash from fans due to initial mistakes with the Xbox One’s reveal, and some gamers have already vowed allegiance to Sony, in order to avoid any further headaches from the Microsoft camp.
    We’ll see how this all plays out, when the next gen consoles come out, this November.

http://gamersyndrome.com/2013/video-...ofts-xbox-one/

If mods want to move this to the Versus forum, I'd understand as the news piece is geared that way. However, it looks like we have proof that there have been production problems with the XBone after all.
    Last edited by Lefein; 10-17-2013 at 17:12.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I was really expecting this generation to be another Super NES vs Sega Genesis console war, but it has turned into more of a Super NES vs TurboGrafx 16 war...

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Elite Sage
    So wait, isn't this what CBOAT was talking about?
    Man who chase after bus get exhausted, man who run in front of bus get tired
    Man who masturbates in class has firm grip of subject at hand
    Woman who sink in man's arms soon have arms in man's sink

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Mael Duin View Post
    So wait, isn't this what CBOAT was talking about?
    It would certainly appear that way.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    wow. another negative rumor that has become true. At this point i am not amazed.

editidnt see the source from ms lowering shipments
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 10-17-2013 at 14:32.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

As of right now, F Destiny.

Superior Member
    This isn't really unexpected. They're doing something drastically different than Sony so in the end, launch issues won't matter. It didn't matter this gen and it won't for the upcoming gen either.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    At this point SONY has the momentum to topple the entire generation in their favor. We will likely see a PS2 level swing in the PS4's direction.
    Xbox alone was pretty good this generation, but Microsoft as a whole has some serious restructuring to be done and hopefully next gen we will see a proper Xbox.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    At this point SONY has the momentum to topple the entire generation in their favor. We will likely see a PS2 level swing in the PS4's direction.
    Xbox alone was pretty good this generation, but Microsoft as a whole has some serious restructuring to be done and hopefully next gen we will see a proper Xbox.
    This is what MS' vision has been all along. They got their foot in the door with the Xbox, became a household name with the 360 and with that in hand, they're going a different direction than Sony. I doubt next gen will even have MS and Sony as competitors. MS is looking for a much broader audience. I doubt gamers will see a "proper Xbox" again.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    I doubt gamers will see a "proper Xbox" again.
    And to me that is sad...good competition leads to innovation and amazing games! While I disagree with MS forcing every gamer to buy Kinect with the new Xbox, I am glad everyone (Nintendo, Sony & MS) created their motion controls, it is good to try new things and take a chance even if they fail or don't catch on like they had hoped. MS needs to do some restructuring and get back on the gaming bandwagon since I don't see any other company stepping up to the plate like they did with the original Xbox. One thing that scares me is if Apple or Google get into the console business...Apple would just over charge for a mediocre product and Google would just blast you will tons of ads while you play games...

Dedicated Member
    This is what MS' vision has been all along. They got their foot in the door with the Xbox, became a household name with the 360 and with that in hand, they're going a different direction than Sony. I doubt next gen will even have MS and Sony as competitors. MS is looking for a much broader audience. I doubt gamers will see a "proper Xbox" again.
    With that search for a broader audience, are they at risk of losing all the gains that have made with the 360 though? If shipments lag behind, games perform in Sonys favour (sales or presentation wise) or continued marketing confusion, MS might not even get into a good enough position to go after a wider audience.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    This is old news from as way back as August anyway. MS addressed this months ago. Same old $#@! and different day.

“People assume there’s a volume issue which in fact there isn’t. You’re actually seeing pre-orders pop back up now because we’re able allocate the countries’ volumes back in,” Penello said. “It’s there, the problem is localization. And once people see the system and how integral it is, it’s not just text integration.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/chin...hipping-volume

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    And to me that is sad...good competition leads to innovation and amazing games! While I disagree with MS forcing every gamer to buy Kinect with the new Xbox, I am glad everyone (Nintendo, Sony & MS) created their motion controls, it is good to try new things and take a chance even if they fail or don't catch on like they had hoped. MS needs to do some restructuring and get back on the gaming bandwagon since I don't see any other company stepping up to the plate like they did with the original Xbox. One thing that scares me is if Apple or Google get into the console business...Apple would just over charge for a mediocre product and Google would just blast you will tons of ads while you play games...
    The bigger worry for Sony is Steambox. That's where Sony's competition will be. IMO Sony has more to worry about than MS. MS is going after a different demographic with different tastes and wants that just the hardcore gamer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    With that search for a broader audience, are they at risk of losing all the gains that have made with the 360 though? If shipments lag behind, games perform in Sonys favour (sales or presentation wise) or continued marketing confusion, MS might not even get into a good enough position to go after a wider audience.
    But the 360 did exactly what they wanted it to do. It made them a household name in the console arena, got them into the living room and got them into the multimedia arena with Netflix and the host of other video and music services.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    The bigger worry for Sony is Steambox. That's where Sony's competition will be.
    Which I am cool with that, Steambox (if it can be price competitive) would be a damn good competitor for the console market, it has the ability to become a solid player and I welcome that with open arms! While I love my Android phone, I do dread the day Apple and/or Google get into the console business...and it will be only a matter of time, it's too big of an industry not to! Google can sometimes become an unstoppable force (except for Google+, that thing just sucks!), if they want something they will go all out to get it!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    The bigger worry for Sony is Steambox. That's where Sony's competition will be. IMO Sony has more to worry about than MS. MS is going after a different demographic with different tastes and wants that just the hardcore gamer.

But the 360 did exactly what they wanted it to do. It made them a household name in the console arena, got them into the living room and got them into the multimedia arena with Netflix and the host of other video and music services.
    Actually, the bigger worry for Microsoft is steambox, considering it's pushing linux more and more. Also, with AMD's mantle vs DirectX Microsoft has a lot to worry about. If in the future linux becomes easier for the household to access, that will mean trouble for the competition which is windows. not in the business front but the household front. I honestly don't see how Sony should be worried if at all against steambox. It's best for Sony to keep the eye's open at the competition but this is more of a competition against microsoft. The main purpose for steambox is to make gaming for linux more and once that happens, ms will be in trouble in gaming terms.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Which I am cool with that, Steambox (if it can be price competitive) would be a damn good competitor for the console market, it has the ability to become a solid player and I welcome that with open arms! While I love my Android phone, I do dread the day Apple and/or Google get into the console business...and it will be only a matter of time, it's too big of an industry not to! Google can sometimes become an unstoppable force (except for Google+, that thing just sucks!), if they want something they will go all out to get it!
    Depending on price, this could be bad for Sony. There are TONS more games on Steam than Sony or MS have. They also have cheaper games and games that are nowhere on ANY console. If Sony does become a competitor to Steambox then they will live and die by their first party devs.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Depending on price, this could be bad for Sony. There are TONS more games on Steam than Sony or MS have. They also have cheaper games and games that are nowhere on ANY console. If Sony does become a competitor to Steambox then they will live and die by their first party devs.
    And to that I say 'Bring it on!'

I just know the Steambox is wanting all mighty hardware to power those games, which with almighty power comes an almighty price to go with it! The one advantage PS4 has is that it is very balanced custom hardware with a VERY competitive price! If they came pull off much faster hardware at a sub $500 price then it will get very interesting!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    they announced a titan version of steambox didn't they? yea I expect even a decent steambox to play the latest games comparable to the console to cost more than $500. The titan steambox is going to cost well over $600.

plus, they already said you can make your own steambox. So I guess they are going to sell their linux OS version or you can downloaded on a flashdrive for free. In that case, I'll build my own. lol
    Last edited by Demi_God; 10-17-2013 at 15:54.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    Actually, the bigger worry for Microsoft is steambox, considering it's pushing linux more and more. Also, with AMD's mantle vs DirectX Microsoft has a lot to worry about. If in the future linux becomes easier for the household to access, that will mean trouble for the competition which is windows. not in the business front but the household front. I honestly don't see how Sony should be worried if at all against steambox. It's best for Sony to keep the eye's open at the competition but this is more of a competition against microsoft. The main purpose for steambox is to make gaming for linux more and once that happens, ms will be in trouble in gaming terms.
    Actually, no. The Steambox is a gaming console and not a multimedia machine the way these consoles are turning out to be. It has nothing to do with Windows v Linux. Since The PS4 is all about games and so is Steambox, Steambox will have the power of Steam behind it with all of the games that go with it. All of the games available on the PS4 (except first party titles obviously) plus tons of others not available on consoles at all.

I've pretty much decided to ditch the PS4 and wait for Steambox. It's all about the games and that where Steambox will excel.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    If mods want to move this to the Versus forum, I'd understand as the news piece is geared that way.
    and yet knowing that, you still felt the need to put it here. funny how that works.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    and yet knowing that, you still felt the need to put it here. funny how that works.
    The news is the news. I thought it was more important that the recent rumors about production issues were verified by a source than the typical system wars stuff. It was, indeed, a judgement decision.

21. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    And yet there really isn't a versus anymore. The One and PS4 are different consoles that do different things and are intended for different audiences. It's like trying to compare a sports car to an SUV. Different audiences that want different things.

23. Likes PS4THEWIN, Admartian , Ghost , Lefein likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Moved to Vs anyway.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Actually, no. The Steambox is a gaming console and not a multimedia machine the way these consoles are turning out to be. It has nothing to do with Windows v Linux. Since The PS4 is all about games and so is Steambox, Steambox will have the power of Steam behind it with all of the games that go with it. All of the games available on the PS4 (except first party titles obviously) plus tons of others not available on consoles at all.

I've pretty much decided to ditch the PS4 and wait for Steambox. It's all about the games and that where Steambox will excel.

uhhh yes, they even said themselves that they are trying to counter windows. One of the purposes is to bring gaming to linux and have it grow, it's to counter windows. They've already said that so in this case it's competition with microsoft.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    And yet there really isn't a versus anymore. The One and PS4 are different consoles that do different things and are intended for different audiences. It's like trying to compare a sports car to an SUV. Different audiences that want different things.
    One is laser focused on games, the other on broader entertainment. MS has been on this trajectory for years. It's why Sony's pressers were filled with games and MS's games, apps, media, tv etc. Xbox isn't in as much trouble as people make it out to be. It will have a lot of success in its path of being more a jack of all trades and the PS4 will have success being the master of one-and it just comes down that basically. If you are happy for the power trade offs of having an around media box then Xb1 will suit you perfectly, if you want the very best in performance and graphics for your gaming and steady stream of exclusive content to augment 3rd party, PS4 is where it's at.

It sort of does, Valve are moving to linux because they don't want to lose a chunk of their revenue to the win8 apps store.
    As for multimedia...at the end of the day people will just put whatever software they want on it.
    WOOF! WOOF!

Thread Information