Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    VII was when I saw the scales kind of balance and tip towards sucktitude. It was a nice balance between the old series and the new graphics-fest and cutscene driven storytelling. In that regard, VII was good, but it was a bad sign of things to come because the fans that got on board with it were in it for one thing. X was god-awful. When you relegate the airship to being a fail game of darts to find secret $#@!, you fail hard. When area maps are nothing more than a glorified rat race between arrows, you fail even harder.

Do bare in mind, I was playing Final Fantasy since the first one came out on the NES. Unlike a lot of the post-VII bandwagoners, I liked IX and hated X passionately (never beat it, in fact, I didn't care enough about Meg Ryan and his daddy issues to finish that tripe).

VI was the pinnacle of the series, creatively. Whatever it was that people saw in VII, substantively, was laid ground for by VI. For all the people just razzle-dazzled by the FMV CGI, thanks for ruining a good thing called Final Fantasy.

..Now, you know why XIII makes me see red and want to throw kittens in a blender. I literally just got stoned and watched my roommate beat the first one because I was too bored to actually play it (that is, if you contend one even truly "plays" FFXIII in the first place). XIII-2 made me livid, just because it shouldn't have existed. XIII-3 makes me want to load fertilizer in a UHaul and drive it through SE headquarters. XIV 1.0 made me want to videotape panda torture.

It's not that I'm against change, either. I enjoyed XI thoroughly, except it's overwrought grindiness. I enjoyed XII as well, when I uninverted the controls. The story was pretty serious and the combat was a nice evolution for the series. XIV ARR is one of my new favorite FFs, as well. It just amazes me that it took so long to get it right. I also don't know why they couldn't put Versus out there.
    This is hysterical +rep

Your wording made me laugh so hard.

2. Likes Azimuth85, Omar likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    masterpiece lol. too bad i can't rep on IE.

totally agree though, i loved FF7 but after playing the earlier ones, especially 4...i can't go back to the older ones that i used to like. it's like a gateway drug to much better drugs.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Azimuth85
    Items Iron MaidenFinal Fantasy TacticsJoker (limited ICON)Baby ChocoboLightning
    I really hope they localize that PSP final fantasy (I can't recall the name off the top of my head) because I got to tinkering with it, and even though I couldn't understand the game it had AMAZING potential and it was very interesting.

PSN ID : Azimuth85

Superior Member
    I just really really miss good turn based RPGs! everything went to active combat stuff =(
    "Bigfoot is blurry, that is the problem...it is not the photographers fault...Bigfoot is blurry and that is extra scary to me because there is an extra large out-of-focus creature roaming the countryside....Run he's fuzzy, get out of here" ~ Mitch Hedburg, RIP you crazy fool

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    VII was when I saw the scales kind of balance and tip towards sucktitude. It was a nice balance between the old series and the new graphics-fest and cutscene driven storytelling. In that regard, VII was good, but it was a bad sign of things to come because the fans that got on board with it were in it for one thing. X was god-awful. When you relegate the airship to being a fail game of darts to find secret $#@!, you fail hard. When area maps are nothing more than a glorified rat race between arrows, you fail even harder.

Do bare in mind, I was playing Final Fantasy since the first one came out on the NES. Unlike a lot of the post-VII bandwagoners, I liked IX and hated X passionately (never beat it, in fact, I didn't care enough about Meg Ryan and his daddy issues to finish that tripe).

VI was the pinnacle of the series, creatively. Whatever it was that people saw in VII, substantively, was laid ground for by VI. For all the people just razzle-dazzled by the FMV CGI, thanks for ruining a good thing called Final Fantasy.

..Now, you know why XIII makes me see red and want to throw kittens in a blender. I literally just got stoned and watched my roommate beat the first one because I was too bored to actually play it (that is, if you contend one even truly "plays" FFXIII in the first place). XIII-2 made me livid, just because it shouldn't have existed. XIII-3 makes me want to load fertilizer in a UHaul and drive it through SE headquarters. XIV 1.0 made me want to videotape panda torture.

It's not that I'm against change, either. I enjoyed XI thoroughly, except it's overwrought grindiness. I enjoyed XII as well, when I uninverted the controls. The story was pretty serious and the combat was a nice evolution for the series. XIV ARR is one of my new favorite FFs, as well. It just amazes me that it took so long to get it right. I also don't know why they couldn't put Versus out there.
    My favourite of the entire series has always been FF2 because it had a story that pulled people in a multitude of directions, and aside from the Suikoden series actually figured out a good way to handle the multitude of characters that can't be used in the party. FF3 does that too a little bit by switching in and out characters pre-end of the world, but post-end of the world its like...Whats the point of the bloated cast when I can't use them and then I'm tricked into having to grind with them due to the final dungeon.

A lot of people are vocal about their hatred of FF13 but it is one of the highest selling games on the PS3. It is currently the 20th highest selling game on the platform. Now that might not seem impressive, but considering 1-10 is essentially Call of Duty, GTA, and FIFA, it is still impressive. So too is the 7+ million sales of the game on the PS3 and 360 combined. If the game was that unpopular then SQ would not have made two sequels to it, despite the very vocal internet. They are listening to people's wallets which is saying they want more of it.

Extreme Poster
    lasombra, you're looking at it wrong imo. FF13 was a big disappointment and usually when people expect a lot out of a game, they go out there and buy it but if they don't see improvement moving forward, they don't continue to buy it.

which clearly shows because while FF13 sold about 5m on the PS3, it only sold about 2.5m with its sequel. really, it just seems like they're lazy and don't want to do anything better or revamping the series.

I didn't even touch the game until it was a bargain bin, i'm sure many others like myself could smell BS from far away. even then i didn't finish the game! i think i stopped after 5-10%. could not continue.

even 5m is pathetic for a FF game. look at all the good ones previously and they did better. FF8 had about 8m and FF7 had about 10m.

it's not so peachy in the SE camp.

Ultimate Veteran
    I'm just saying. I've survived entries to the series I didn't like, and stuck around for the ones I do. I've never stood on the sidelines for a whole generation while Square(Enix) tried to ram sucktitude up my butthole repeatedly with no lube or even a thank you. As if they just assumed that their entire fanbase was happy enough with the XIII universe to want to come back for thirdsies whilst Versus XIII was dangled in front of god and everyone at the onset. Then, XIV 1.0 was so stillborn that it was already rotting when it came out the womb and sent all the doctors running out of the delivery room ralphing up everything they ate for the past year.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    mmkay square... mmkay...
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Extreme Poster
    is there a book that can teach me how to write in metaphores like that?

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    It's true that Square are losing their touch to this franchise but a lot of people have to let go that Final Fantasy XIII hatred. When the Final Fantasy XII was first released on the Dragon Quest VIII game, never enjoyed having the AI controlling the characters when it came to a Final Fantasy game. That was my first crucial criticism when that began, but in the end. That bothersome wear off and got used to the new mechanic; really missed notable Final Fantasy features as of controlling the Airship, hidden summons etc. Final Fantasy XIII is really beautiful graphically. The criticism of the linearity began but no one understood it was part of the storyline. XIII-2 was really fun and for the first time in the franchise you were able to control monsters from wild encounters. As a result, every thing has to do with age ladies and gentlemen. By the time we reach our 50s, we will be telling our offsprings "Well in my day we had...." etc, I really do hope that Square continue using their old elements. If I had to suggest one erroneous feat to XIII it'd be lack of dialogue and point of emphasis although it the story does get livid ahead of time.

We were already informed that XIII was going to be a generation long series, it's nothing new. I'd recommend them to release a new number time to time like in the past without minding the sequels as well.

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Extreme Poster
    I'm sorry rob but i'm not seeing a convincing argument here. so far you've said that it's graphically good, which i agree but that the linearity was due to its storyline. so you're telling me that you can't have a storyline if it weren't linear? of course you can.

if you notice, none of the previous games were that open either...you were still bound by certain things, you can still keep players within the bounds of the storyline, it just doesn't necessarily need to be done going in a linear path.

and the rest of the features that you agree yourself that you miss, pretty much make up what FF has always been about and what it excelled at.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Alright people imagine this:

You are one of the biggest Japanese publisher and developer of games. You release an MMO that was so utterly broken and unfinished that you have to recall a product and fix it. In the meantime one of your most creative directors is working on a game announced at E3 2006 and since you trust his capability and the game itself, you give that game as much time it needs.

Now since most of your dev resources are being poured into the aforementioned projects, you need to release games to fill in the gap between now and when the new games launch. The best way you see is that you reuse assets from old games, extend the story into a trilogy and get a really quick sequel out every 2 years.

Seems like a logical decision by a company who have drawn itself into a corner. FFXIV:ARR is already looking like the rebuilding effort was well worth it and FFXV+KH3 definitely seem to be heading in the right direction and making progress. Hopefully SE is on top of everything this gen

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    Dude, they don't put 100% effort in the FF franchise. Don't kid yourself. Versus XIII wouldn't have been non-present for a whole gen if they weren't acting like $#@!heads and milking XIII because their profits were tanking.
    I thought 12 was stilll a good game, so was 10 and the ones before that. The problem I noticed was with FF13 and them sticking with linear action. which is what I'm really pointing out here. So compared to their other rpgs, yes they do put 100% effort into the FF games just not with a few of them. In terms of previous content, yes. you may not think so but that is clearly opinion based between both of us. I think they did just not with the current FF games.

Still doesn't take away the fact and it is a fact that they put more effort into final fantasy compared to other rpg's they have.

I want to see their other RPG's with the same graphical capabilities, the big stories and everything else. I just don't see that happening.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 10-18-2013 at 23:06.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm sorry rob but i'm not seeing a convincing argument here. so far you've said that it's graphically good, which i agree but that the linearity was due to its storyline. so you're telling me that you can't have a storyline if it weren't linear? of course you can.

if you notice, none of the previous games were that open either...you were still bound by certain things, you can still keep players within the bounds of the storyline, it just doesn't necessarily need to be done going in a linear path.

and the rest of the features that you agree yourself that you miss, pretty much make up what FF has always been about and what it excelled at.
    Well, technically you're right about linearity. The thing is, these guys were wanted fugitives. From that aspect its really understandable. Atleast, they could've expanded some places. And if there were even towns, they would need to add more depth to the story. I'm not part of this debate but that's why I was just saying. In the end, if you truly want to see what the XIII had in stored. Follow the trophy list, and I did forget something. The grind was a pain...but it wasn't really nothing once you realize what you're doing.

I believe we could all concur on what we are saying here. We all miss many aspects of the franchise and I sure hope so that those feature do return. The 13th entry to this franchise isn't really about the fuss that's been going a long with to be honest though.

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Wow. Strong feelz about the subject in this thread. First..

@OP: "I want to believe." Second..

I've never been so torn about my own and others peoples feelings about this series.

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

PSU Reviews Editor, Hit Series Creator
    PSN ID
    MelegantPrime
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    lasombra, you're looking at it wrong imo. FF13 was a big disappointment and usually when people expect a lot out of a game, they go out there and buy it but if they don't see improvement moving forward, they don't continue to buy it.

which clearly shows because while FF13 sold about 5m on the PS3, it only sold about 2.5m with its sequel. really, it just seems like they're lazy and don't want to do anything better or revamping the series.

I didn't even touch the game until it was a bargain bin, i'm sure many others like myself could smell BS from far away. even then i didn't finish the game! i think i stopped after 5-10%. could not continue.

even 5m is pathetic for a FF game. look at all the good ones previously and they did better. FF8 had about 8m and FF7 had about 10m.

it's not so peachy in the SE camp.
    The big problem people have when analyzing the Final Fantasy series is it is not a set series. It is not Resident Evil, Suikoden, even COD where there is a set formula to follow every squeal. Every game is going to be different in the series, and is in essence its own little mini-series. Sure, FF13-2 dropped significantly compared to FF13 but 2.5+ million sales is still good. 2.5 million people still liked that storyline enough to stick with it, which is telling of how stable the numbers are. There are always going to be fluctuations in numbers to account for first-timers or the disillusioned, so to keep that high a number is a good sign for them that Lightning Returns will sell roughly the same worst case, or do better and pick-up more sales.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    funkybudda
    FF series was good until they decided to be greedy and make it multi-platform. Epic fail on their part.
    You need a users permission to quote them in your sig.

Praetor Illuminatus
    Wow, is that Lefein guy for real? I don't know whether to be in awe at how unhinged he is or scared that he is right?!

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Nakatomi_Uk
    Items Intel Core i7PS3 SlimFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VII
    FF 1-10 was the best for me with 7 being my best of all time followed by 8 and 10 for my PS era but can never take away my love of the 1-6

Win 7 Ult 64bit, Gigabyte Z68AP-D3 Rev.1/Bios F8 , INTEL i7 2600k 3.40ghz, Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB DDR3 1866mhz (1600mhz@1.60v), Crucial 128GB M4 SSD, Seagate 500GB 7,200rpm, Hitachi 1TB 7,200rpm (Back-Up HDD), HIS 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card, OCZ Fatality 750 Mod PSU, LG DVD-RAM RW

Thread Information