Latest PSU headlines:

Hybrid View

Master Poster

2014 Next Gen PC Gaming | 4K

Looks like next year could be really interesting to PC gamers

With high end single GPU set-ups already able to push 4k at ~30 FPS next years flagship cards out of AMD and Nvidia will hopefully push that bar even higher and with the addition of HDMI 2.0 next years 4k displays can finally support up to 60hz.
    4k benchmarks

while Sony, Samsung, Toshiba ect all have extremely high priced UHD 4k TVs available this year those should come down in price somewhat in 2014, But even today you can get your hands on a decent 39" 4k TV from Seiki for $700.

IF you want 4K it looks like you can at least budget yourself into that option by next year

The other option is moving to 120-144hz monitors and/or G-sync with nvidia
    144hz lightboost display
    G-sync

even overclocking a 1440p ips to 120
    Qnix korean 1440p overclockable

-Monitor Guide-

Lightboost
    • ASUS VG248QE. | 24" | 1920x1080 | 144hz | $283.18 | `G-SYNC
    • BenQ XL2420TE | 24" | 1920x1080 | 144hz | $329.00
    • updating

Overclockable
    • updating

• Seiki SE39UY04 | 39" | 3840x2160 | 30hz@4K |... $699.00 |
    • Seiki SE50UY04 | 50" | 3840x2160 | 30hz@4K |... $965.99 |
    • TCL LE50UHDE5691 | 50" | 3840x2160 | 30hz@4K | ...$999.99 |
    • ASUS PQ321Q.. | 32" | 3840x2160 | 60hz@4K | $3,394.99 |
    • updating
    Last edited by maltrophstitan; 10-20-2013 at 05:43.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    That G-Sync sounds absolutely incredible, if it really does perform as has been said then it looks like there will essentially be no need for Mantle. I know exactly what I'll be trying out at some stage next year.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Display port and D-DVI already allows 4k at 60+ FPS but TVs dont tend to have them.

45FPS Gsync I can only imagine the input lag. EWWW!

Will this gsync be Nvidia only tech?
    Last edited by keefy; 10-19-2013 at 15:32.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Display port and D-DVI already allows 4k at 60+ FPS but TVs dont tend to have them.

45FPS Gsync I can only imagine the input lag. EWWW!

Will this gsync be Nvidia only tech?
    It's Nvidia only so far and there wont be any input lag

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
    It's Nvidia only so far and there wont be any input lag
    doh. I just realised they are not hold frames back its the monitor that switches to match the frame rate right?

Still need around 40FPS because lowering refresh rate does cause input lag I guess thats why the lower limit is 30Hz.
    I played Quake live at 24Hz the other day occidentally mind, I had my PC hooked up to HDMI and I have quake live set to use 144Hz refresh rate but HDMI didn't allow that so defaulted to 24Hz mode and it looked like the FPS was below 30 all stuttery and jittery and felt a bit laggy but not as bad as with regular vsync enabled.

G-sync Does sound like a good idea. Would have to see it and play with it to tke the plunge.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-19-2013 at 18:40.

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Superior Member
    So, a week or so ago I finally got the Oculus Rift I ordered a couple months ago. A few days ago I ordered and received a Razer Hydra. For the past couple of days I've been messing around with the Rift plus positional tracking with the Hydra in Outerra and Half Life 2 VR and...Holy $#@!!!! Especially after playing a full hour of HL2VR yesterday. It was, without a doubt, the most immersive, intense, exciting, gaming experience I've ever had (and it's a mod for a decade old game). Being able to freely aim and crouch, peek around corners, boxes, etc, and shoot from cover, behind you, above you, etc. It's just a level of immersion in a completely different league from anything else on the market today.

Outerra was similarly immersive. I flew around the Himalayas for about 30 minutes. With the Hydra doing positional tracking, I'm able to lean/move around the $#@!pit, lean over to the glass and look around, etc. It's cool to be able to look behind you and see the jet's mechanics working as you move the controller/joystick. I experience several moments where my stomach dropped as I rolled the jet, or performed high G maneuvers. It was really incredible, and beautiful.

Since yesterday, I've come to believe this. Next gen for console gamers is to finally be able to use those 1080p HDTVs they bought years ago, but have been playing 720p (or worse) game content on for years. Next gen pc gamers will, instead, be having virtual experiences.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Dedicated Member
    This is where we get back to the electricity argument...
    It takes alot of wattage right now to run 4k games.
    It was not possible to make an affordable 4k game system.
    Right now you NEED 3 and 4 card SLI/Crossfire setups to get 4K gaming running at acceptable framerates.
    Simply not worth it.
    You can make a 4K game on either system rightnow, but, it'll look like a 4K version of a cell phone game or a PS2 game.
    The fill rate and other things eat up too much for too little return.
    4K TV penetration is also Nil and will be coincidentally for the next 5 years.

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    This is where we get back to the electricity argument...
    It takes alot of wattage right now to run 4k games.
    It was not possible to make an affordable 4k game system.
    Right now you NEED 3 and 4 card SLI/Crossfire setups to get 4K gaming running at acceptable framerates.
    Simply not worth it.
    You can make a 4K game on either system rightnow, but, it'll look like a 4K version of a cell phone game or a PS2 game.
    The fill rate and other things eat up too much for too little return.
    4K TV penetration is also Nil and will be coincidentally for the next 5 years.
    that's what I was getting at, by next year it looks like a real possibility that 4k will be priced at a level that more mainstream enthusiasts can budget for.
    $600 gpu <$1000 display
    i know I'll jump in when that's a real option
    in the mean time I'm looking at a 120hz 1440p display for $300

Forum Sage

2014 Next Gen PC Gaming | 4K

Quote Originally Posted by sneezymarble View Post
    So, a week or so ago I finally got the Oculus Rift I ordered a couple months ago. A few days ago I ordered and received a Razer Hydra. For the past couple of days I've been messing around with the Rift plus positional tracking with the Hydra in Outerra and Half Life 2 VR and...Holy $#@!!!! Especially after playing a full hour of HL2VR yesterday. It was, without a doubt, the most immersive, intense, exciting, gaming experience I've ever had (and it's a mod for a decade old game). Being able to freely aim and crouch, peek around corners, boxes, etc, and shoot from cover, behind you, above you, etc. It's just a level of immersion in a completely different league from anything else on the market today.

Outerra was similarly immersive. I flew around the Himalayas for about 30 minutes. With the Hydra doing positional tracking, I'm able to lean/move around the $#@!pit, lean over to the glass and look around, etc. It's cool to be able to look behind you and see the jet's mechanics working as you move the controller/joystick. I experience several moments where my stomach dropped as I rolled the jet, or performed high G maneuvers. It was really incredible, and beautiful.

Since yesterday, I've come to believe this. Next gen for console gamers is to finally be able to use those 1080p HDTVs they bought years ago, but have been playing 720p (or worse) game content on for years. Next gen pc gamers will, instead, be having virtual experiences.
    Man I love PC gaming. There is no 'next generation' experience on PC because next gen is always available now.

It'll be a while before I'm ready to go to 4K. I was planning on jumping on the 2560x1440 bandwagon once I get another GTX780. Whilst console only gamers are bickering over 720p and 900p and having to settle for either resolution or frame rate, here we are talking about moving into the 4K era

Got to love the no compromise attitude of PC gaming.

BBK.. Tapatalking

Elite Sage
    Items AC/DCRolling StonesAtari 2600GTA CJBattlefield 3Final Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIINESSNESEvertonUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by BBK.. View Post
    Man I love PC gaming. There is no 'next generation' experience on PC because next gen is always available now.

It'll be a while before I'm ready to go to 4K. I was planning on jumping on the 2560x1440 bandwagon once I get another GTX780. Whilst console only gamers are bickering over 720p and 900p and having to settle for either resolution or frame rate, here we are talking about moving into the 4K era

Got to love the no compromise attitude of PC gaming.

BBK.. Tapatalking
    PC Gaming is a Beautiful thing

I just wished we had more Variety of PC AAA Exclusives like a PC Gran Turismo / even more Sports games like Madden

Anyways is there anyway I can make my TV display more than 60hz as I use my TV (which has 240hz Tru Motion) for Gaming via HDMI but on PC the True motion is Disabled so can't get it to higher Hz ??

Master Poster

Quote Originally Posted by John25 View Post
    PC Gaming is a Beautiful thing

I just wished we had more Variety of PC AAA Exclusives like a PC Gran Turismo / even more Sports games like Madden

Anyways is there anyway I can make my TV display more than 60hz as I use my TV (which has 240hz Tru Motion) for Gaming via HDMI but on PC the True motion is Disabled so can't get it to higher Hz ??
    I don't think so but that's what i have been looking into these past few days, I tried overclocking a "120hz" tv at 1080p and i couldn't get anything really over 60, it ran at 80 but with juddery lines, I might just have to tweek some settings.

but I dont think tvs like that are true 120hz displays, i could be wrong though.

I'll look into the 240hz thing though because im interested to see if they've been overclocked.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    4K won't be common for a long time yet, even at the high end. Talking at least 5 years I reckon. The G-Sync tech sounds really good (and was long overdue) but the fact it's Nvidia who've brought it to the table instead of literally anyone else is a sad thing. Maybe they won't have been able to patent the idea behind it and other companies can implement their own versions. Hope so.

I play my PC on a big screen TV and would like the technology to eventually be available for people like me

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Cant wait for the future of monitors.
    A 27 inch 1440p 120hz Asus monitor with G-Sync sounds delicious.

Forum Sage

Have 120hz 1440p displays been released yet? That's what I've been waiting for

Master Poster

Have 120hz 1440p displays been released yet? That's what I've been waiting for
    You can overclock some korean 1440s to ~96 to ~120 some people have got them even higher.

From everything i've seen people love them, you can get them through ebay and amazon

Forum Sage

Ah yeah I heard about those ones. I'm a bit dubious about overclocking them and also the picture quality. I do love my 120Hz Asus monitor though. I can't go back to 60Hz

Superior Member
    4K gaming is going to be nice, but I'm telling you guys, VR is going to be what "next-gen" gaming is about on PC very soon. If you haven't experienced this yet, find somebody with a Rift and a Hydra and play HL2VR.

You've never gamed like this before. Playing HL2 like this is a new experience. It adds depth and feeling to the game. Shooting is a much more visceral experience like this. I sort of recoiled the first time I shot one of the enemies because it feels like you're dispatching somebody and not merely pushing a button on a controller/keyboard.

When you've got a handful of enemies rushing you, and you're physically crouching behind a virtual object, it's easy to forget the object in front of you is virtual. You'll peek and quickly pull your head/body back as you get shot at. You'll reach your gun around the corner, physically making the gesture, to fire off a few shots. It's absolutely incredible. You'll run, looking behind you quickly as you move forward, while being perused by enemies, and while running forward you can point your gun behind you and fire off shots at your pursuers.

4K is cool, but it's resolution, and frankly, at living room distances, while impressive, is not going to be a mind blowing advancement. This, right now, even at low resolution, is something incredible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rYCz0vdrqw

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Gamespot has been doing these "Reality Check" videos which I quite liked.
    Do we Need 4k?
    Do we need 60fps Next gen?

No there is no need of 4k when the viewing distance is living room numbers but for pc I can see 4k being a worthwhile improvement

Forum Sage

Sneezy, I was tempted to buy a Hydra... You may have just earned Razer a sale.

@Itachi, but most PC gamers game at a desk so resolution is important.

Superior Member
    Sneezy, I was tempted to buy a Hydra... You may have just earned Razer a sale.

@Itachi, but most PC gamers game at a desk so resolution is important.
    I scored mine on Amazon for $95 USD. I didn't have an Amazon card yet so I signed up at check out and got a $50 gift card which was applied, so it ended up being around $50. I have a Prime account, ordered it one evening last week and it was on my doorstop when I got home from work the next day

HL2VR was almost a plug and play setup experience. I have a little chest band I put my phone in when I run and it's perfect for holding one of the Hydra controllers. I attached one of the controllsers to my chest with it, about center. The other controllers is used for your weapon/right hand. It's definitely the easiest game to get working with it. It happens to be the most impressive, in my view, so that's good.

Getting it to work with Outerra was a little tricky. I started to work on setting it up with the Oculus version of Minecraft yesterday (Minecrift), but it takes a little playing around, and I didn't have time to sort it out.

It's not an awesome product, but it's about as good as it gets for positional tracking right now, and I like messing around with gadgets. In any event, if you want to see what positional tracking can do for VR experiences and you have $100 USD to burn, go for it! For me, if all I could do with it was play HL2VR with my Rift, that'd be worth it to me. It's just really fun. And positional tracking almost completely reduces motion sickness for me. Before the Hydra I really couldn't spend too much time in the Rift, but with positional tracking I've been able to stay in for up to an hour.

It's probably true that most PC gamers still sit at a desk, but I haven't gamed on my PCs at a desk for nearly a decade, and I think there's a growing number of PC gamers moving their setups to the living room. Steam is certainly going to be pushing that. I think being able to push pixels at 4K resolutions will be more important for the VR market in the coming years.

I could probably get a medium sized 4K display right now, but it would just be totally wasted in my living room space. For it to make sense for me, I'd need to by a pretty big display and I really don't want to spend more than a $2-3k on a TV.
    Last edited by sneezymarble; 10-21-2013 at 18:59.

Thread Information