Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style

I'm officially not as impressed with GTA V as I was with GTA IV

It's not that GTA IV was the first of this gens GTA games and the awe factor and all that.

Theres things about GTA V that just make me shake my head.

Mainly the driving. I liked GTA IV's driving mechanics....it was semi realistic and required skill and took time to master. The driving in GTA V is just boring. Not nearly as bad as Saints Row but still.

Then theres the traffic. I've been seeing more and more really stupid AI when it comes to traffic. Cars going the opposite way on a 2 way street that move to pull out in front of my path....then when I manuver to avoid crashing...they turn back to going straight. Cars stopping at the most ridiculous times. Theres more, but it all just seems like it's there to cause trouble for the player.

Then theres the cheap spawning of police. I was running from the cops with 4 stars and at about the 5 minute mark I fianlly took enough turns and made enough moves to get rid of the choppers and cars and everyone. Then all of a sudden 2 red/blue dots popped up. There were 2 cops on foot on the next street. Just in general....the game just seems to spawn crap out of no where to make it a pain....so it's really not your skill against a level playing field.

And I'm about 40% done with the story and I have to say....there hasn't been much in the depth department of missions. As an example....I was on a mission to assassinate some guy picking up a prostitute. I sat and waited for the guy to pick the girl up....drove up behind him while he was driving down the street....and since he was in a convertable....I picked him off from right behind him. Aside from the driving to the location and wait....the mission took about 30 seconds.

All in all....the game is fun....but not nearly as robust and awesome as I thought it was going to be.

Finally You Are Free
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I agree with the driving. It's much more arcadey now. I miss the physics and proper suspension of GTA4, and especially the thud and impact collisions carried. Cars in GTA5 feel bouncy and drive like they're on ice. As a decent trade-off though I enjoy how fast some of the cars can drive.

I prefer the police. Yeah, the way they spawn now is super cheap, but they're actually fun to run from. The police in GTA4 were pathetic. Now they actually hunt you down and search for you. As for the campaign, I don't like how there's no overarching plotline. It's basically just three guys and their random daily adventures. I... guess that's OK? I just wish there was something more to it all. I still prefer it to GTA4's storyline though, which I found completely boring. The missions in GTA5 are more fun and varied at least. No more "Niko! Take my friend down to his apartment!" or "Niko! Drive us to the alley!" Ugh.

I still prefer GTA5 to 4 though because, for me, it's actually fun. I have my criticisms for it (like how Trevor and Franklin are completely inconsistent), but overall it's a much more enjoyable experience. I love racing down the highways, using cheat codes, and playing online (which is undeniably superior). I also appreciate the better, more colorful graphics. I like how the game runs better, and there's no loading screens ingame for missions. I'm happy planes are back, and I love the more varied and open world. The game just feels better to me. When I look back at GTA4, I can't consider it a good game.

3. Likes MW2-LgNd likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    Got to agree about the spawning of law enforcers :P

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    Mainly the driving. I liked GTA IV's driving mechanics....it was semi realistic and required skill and took time to master. The driving in GTA V is just boring. Not nearly as bad as Saints Row but still.
    I also enjoyed the driving in GTA IV, however I prefer it in GTA V, the cars don't slide around nearly as much, it just feels more refined than before. You could pull off some impressive power slides in GTA IV though!!

Then theres the traffic. I've been seeing more and more really stupid AI when it comes to traffic. Cars going the opposite way on a 2 way street that move to pull out in front of my path....then when I manuver to avoid crashing...they turn back to going straight. Cars stopping at the most ridiculous times. Theres more, but it all just seems like it's there to cause trouble for the player.
    I dunno, the traffic in IV was pretty annoying too, especially when driving across one of the long bridges, constant lane changing just as you reached other drivers positions got frustrating. I don't really have much trouble carving through the traffic on V, obviously the AI has its special moments though!

Then theres the cheap spawning of police. I was running from the cops with 4 stars and at about the 5 minute mark I fianlly took enough turns and made enough moves to get rid of the choppers and cars and everyone. Then all of a sudden 2 red/blue dots popped up. There were 2 cops on foot on the next street. Just in general....the game just seems to spawn crap out of no where to make it a pain....so it's really not your skill against a level playing field.
    I have to admit, I don't have much trouble losing the cops. In Los Santos it's pretty easy to evade them, it's in the countryside with 3+ stars it can get difficult as there's less places to hide from those pesky helicopters!

And I'm about 40% done with the story and I have to say....there hasn't been much in the depth department of missions. As an example....I was on a mission to assassinate some guy picking up a prostitute. I sat and waited for the guy to pick the girl up....drove up behind him while he was driving down the street....and since he was in a convertable....I picked him off from right behind him. Aside from the driving to the location and wait....the mission took about 30 seconds.
    Again, this time around I've found the missions to be infinitely more entertaining than in GTA IV. It's much more action packed with big shoot outs happening on a regular basis.

The mission you describe isn't a main storyline mission, it's just one of Lester's assassination missions. They are basically there to make easy money on the stockmarket.

It's the first GTA I've actually bothered to 100% too, and I've just started another play through which is going to be much more profitable for the characters!!

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    Don't really agree with this. In GTA4 it was always dark, you could barely enjoy the visual of the game, in GTA5 it's sunny and bright you can actually see how far the technology from the beginning of the consoles to the end changed drastically, so it has an awe factor for me.

Traffic yeah it can be annoying, but you just said you like how more realistic the driving was in 4 right? So why are you driving on the opposite side of the road if you want a realistic experience you wouldn't be driving on that side of the road anyway.

The cops do get annoying however I feel like they're easier to escape as well if you know where the tunnels are you really have no hard time with them at all, if you don't know the tunnel locations then yeah it's going to be a pain and you're going to waste time just trying to escape but at least there is a work around.

As for the missions every GTA has had those type of missions all the way from 3, heck I bet even the first two games had those quick-mini missions. Those are pretty much side missions that are required to be done to progress but still side missions, nothing to do with the main story.

By no means do I think this is the best game ever made and it's extremely over hyped, but it is a pretty fun and enjoyable game. I just don't really see your points with your post.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Well every opinion their own...
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    I finished GTA V, I didn't finish IV....'nuff said.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    The only thing I can say is there are some things in GTA 4 that were better than it was in GTA V like someone said physics in car collisions I preferred them in GTA 4>5, but overall in a complete package sense GTA V takes it all.

There are a lot of flaws beginning to notice about GTA V though, and a few many failed promises, but even still it's a lot better than GTA 4.

Superior Member
    With the police your supposed to "kite them" (A MMORPG term) by going just ahead of them but not going to fast to make the cops spawn in front of you.

Other than that the game is awesome! The story is good, the missions are very varied, and there are lots of heists where GTA IV only had the one bank heist mission (3 leaf clover). The online is great and lots of fun. I joined a crew called "Sonz of Anarchy USA" and their crew emblem is the same one from the show. I bought a leather jacket and put the emblem on the back. $#@!in awesome!!

This is a Left 4 Dead mod but looks just as cool

Elite Member
    here's my problem. I hate seeing other people complain about a GTA game that isn't better than the other!! why should it be? Rockstar made GTA the Biggest game out of any other GTA in the last 12 years an yes Rockstar want to move onwards an upwards why would they risk doing the same thing twice!! isn't it only right that Rockstar can better GTA than a previous 1? not everyone is going to be happy with GTA because of small things but tbh small things don't really matter that much, an for Rockstar to tone down things for a bigger map an story is not bad but in another way Rockstar just could of left GTA online as it was like GTA IV because its been overloaded an over worked in my eyes where the problems keep emerging. an could of used some of those for free roam in single player like more enterable buildings more things to do an few more missions like freaks / strangers type stuff.

ill agree GTA V is the best game to date an the story was kinda great but the ending was a little dull. driving hasn't botherd me as I focus on the game I just get point to point an that's it not to worried about the driving lol but the things Rockstar announced that was to be in the game that never was kinda pissed me off that was my only issue. an the app thing going for chop is pointless if no1 has it in other words chop is usless without using that app.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Well people have a love hate relationship with the GTA seriese... That is nothing knew
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

PSU Live Streamer
    This is my first stab into the franchise (don't hurt me Claud3 )

Much to my surprise, the game didn't blow me away. I enjoyed my playthrough of it, but the game never had me completely invested. I've played games in the past that have had such a hold over me that when I'm sitting at work the clock appears to be going backwards as all I can think about is going home to play more. This game surprised me by not doing that. In fact I only just beat the campaign this past weekend because I was giving myself breaks from the game that spanned days.

It was a great experience, and I'm happy I had it. But its not my fav sandbox game. Story/combat, I enjoyed Sleeping dogs more. Open world interactions, I enjoyed Farcry 3 more.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    Funny enough playing through Sleeping Dogs right now, and there are a few things I enjoy way more in it than I did in GTA V, and one is the combat. Even if it's not the best it's like I can do more than I can in GTA V.

Now FarCry3 is a game that I do need to play though.

PSU Live Streamer
    Yea, I really liked SD. I'm a pretty big fan of asian action cinema. So SD let me experience it first hand which I thought was awesome.

FC3, what I mean by open world interactions....is how you end up in situations that organically occurred while you were off doing a mission. GTAV tries to do it, but not quite the same way. In GTAV you see that little blue dot on your screen and know an event is happening. But unless you turn your car around, you'll never experience it. And because I was usually flying down the street at 100k on my way to a mission, I never felt inclined to go check it out.

In FC3 as I'm walking through the bush I hear a gunfight just beyond the hill. I climb the hill and see friendly NPCs fighting non-friendly NPCs. While sitting there watching it, suddenly a tiger jumps out of the bush and attacks them all. That really stood out for me with FC3 that hasn't really happened in many other open world games I've played....cept maybe Read Dead.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

El Presidente
    I like the driving in 5 better than 4. Clearly you haven't tried driving down a mountain side in a 4x4. I didn't care for the 'realistic' physics and driving in 4 personally.

I haven't noticed any problems with traffic or people pulling out in front of me. Sometimes they'll change lanes and I have to avoid it but not excessively. Unless they care coming from a driveway or crossing an intersection I haven't worried about hitting anyone.

I know police will spawn on streets around you and sometimes it's really close. I have a hard time getting away then but generally if I pull into an alley where they can't see the car they'll drive right by no problem.

Agree with Rapture on the missions. I'm just glad there aren't 1000 "Niko drive me here!" missions. I think there's a good variety of missions especially with the flying back even though I suck on those missions.

Selected Members Council
    People always complained about the driving in GTA IV, saying it felt like you were driving on ice so it baffles me that the same can be said about GTA V. I personally didn't find it that bad, among other complaints people had with GTA IV, but the driving in GTA V is an improvement. I can't really explain it but it just feels right. I know when to speed up, slow down, take a turn etc.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 10-21-2013 at 20:22.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I have my problem with the GTA series and it is the usless money option, when you can not use it all the time

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    It's hard for me to believe someone seriously thinks IV is better than V. For me, IV was a disappointment compared to San Andreas. This coming from someone who likes NYC way more than LA. But that's GTA, some people love ones while others hate them.

The graphics and physics were exciting because it was the first next-gen GTA, but aside from that there wasn't anything to do. With V, not only did they add all those things to do, but they made huge advances in the graphics.

And I'm sure Euphoria and the damage system on vehicles would be loved by many with V, but I wouldn't be surprised if scrapping those was needed in order to make the game look and run as well as it does.

I do agree with the cops being annoying at times. They can spawn in front of you way too quickly and from time to time you still get the psychic cops. Generally though they are easy to get away from, especially in online because you can quickly put on/remove a mask, which gets rid of one star. You can also use their limited cone view to your advantage, I've had a police car coming up around the corner and I was able to turn as they turned and they never saw me, even though we were easily visible to each other.

I notice the traffic AI issues too, but I wouldn't be surprised if that's also because of the resources available. I'm sure once it's on PC, we're going to have really high requirements. This is a game that needs to be on next-gen.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Effekt View Post
    Don't really agree with this. In GTA4 it was always dark, you could barely enjoy the visual of the game, in GTA5 it's sunny and bright you can actually see how far the technology from the beginning of the consoles to the end changed drastically, so it has an awe factor for me.

Traffic yeah it can be annoying, but you just said you like how more realistic the driving was in 4 right? So why are you driving on the opposite side of the road if you want a realistic experience you wouldn't be driving on that side of the road anyway.

The cops do get annoying however I feel like they're easier to escape as well if you know where the tunnels are you really have no hard time with them at all, if you don't know the tunnel locations then yeah it's going to be a pain and you're going to waste time just trying to escape but at least there is a work around.

As for the missions every GTA has had those type of missions all the way from 3, heck I bet even the first two games had those quick-mini missions. Those are pretty much side missions that are required to be done to progress but still side missions, nothing to do with the main story.

By no means do I think this is the best game ever made and it's extremely over hyped, but it is a pretty fun and enjoyable game. I just don't really see your points with your post.
    I'm not driving on the wrong side of the road.

Like I'll be going down one way....and another car will be coming down the other way....they will go to turn at the intersection and cut just enough to where I have to go into the wrong way side of the street...and then all of a sudden they will stop and cut back to going down the street as if they chose not to turn. So in other words...they go to turn and I go to avoid hitting them in the rear....they change their minds and I end hitting them anyway head on or something.

I don't know if that makes any sense....it's just really odd things like that.

@ everyone some of the other ppl - It's not really the variety of the missions and I know the mission I spoke of was just a odd mission, but in general....there really isn't any meat to most of the missions.

Like the one where you go meet the actor and have to sneak to the top of the building. I mean...it literally took me a minute to sneak up to the top of the building....and then a minute to fly back to the movie studio.

Sure...that mission wasn't the average mission...but for me, I don't really do any of the golf or tennis or whatever. For me, the meat is in the driving and eluding the cops and shooting and all that. The missions just don't seem to have any depth....or whatever.

I dunno.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    Scheller
    I've rear ended a few cars from what you're describing. Like on on-ramps they'll be in the correct lane then quickly merge into the one that ends then right back into the correct one. I've also seen them take ridiculously wide right handed turns. Instead of staying in the lane closest to the curb they cut into the middle turn lane. It seems to happen more often in online than singleplayer though. Of course I haven't played much singleplayer since the last few patches, so I don't know if they did anything.

And I can see how some may not like a few of the missions, but I liked the variety. Like the setup to the first heist, stealthily stealing the bug van was one of my favorites.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    But the driving is much improved

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    battal92
    Gta V is the best in its genre, the driving, everything was done right n my opinion, of course things could be added, but it was great. but if we start to compare it to games from other genres, then therell be problems, for example tlou...that game was just something else, i wouldve finished it in one day if i wasnt afraid of it ending, and i wouldnt get bored at all! i didnt feel that connected to gta v but it was still a great game

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    This will be the best game of the series until GTA VI and maybe before that

They will improve the driving via updates for the online part

But overall, no one can deny that this is the best in terms of everything they missed in a GTA IV

Thread Information