Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU Live Streamer

Adam Sessler Dualshock 4 impressions

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think his comments are basic echos from most of the impressions, if not all of them, that I've heard/read already. Significant improvement is the key. Can't wait to try it out in less than a month.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    He wasn't gushing enough! Pre order canceled

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I've been hearing alot of positive things about the DS4. Cant wait to try it out.

Superior Member

It felt perfectly natural before. Absolutely loved it. My hands are probably larger than most being 6'1 and I never had issues with Sony's controllers. I think most people didn't hold the DS3 correctly because I saw a bunch of people try to strangle it with their hands but that is just my opinion. I played a lot of golf and baseball and I guess I learned to always have a relaxed grip so it wasn't something I struggled with. I am excited about the nice grip it shows for this one and the sticks have always been the only thing I would change...and if they work more smoothly I am all in baby.
    Last edited by davin_g; 10-22-2013 at 00:05.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I always said. If you could hold a controller "incorrectly" it was flawed. A controller should be comfortable to everyone not just people who hold it a certain way.

The DS4 looks infinitely better than the DS3.

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    I always said. If you could hold a controller "incorrectly" it was flawed. A controller should be comfortable to everyone not just people who hold it a certain way.

The DS4 looks infinitely better than the DS3.
    Certainly an opinion but if you took that reasoning with many other things than I'm not sure that holds up. You hold a musical instrument wrong you definately wont get the most out of it...sure of that. Now..it could be because Sony never showed people how to hold it that might be an issue....but there are plenty and plenty of people that hold it right. How many people have you seen with POOR PENMANSHIP???? Because they don't hold a pencil/pen correctly. It's absolutely amazing younger generations penmanship is so terrible because they don't hold it correctly or practice it. I'm sure it isn't emphasized in school because of everything being digital now but you catch my drift. Besides it seems to be more a problem for xbox fans to switch over to the PS. The DS3 works extremely well for fighters and platformers etc...just the extreme focus on shooters gave a preference for the xbox controller. Certainly MS controller is very good...Sony is having to adjust to the market...shooter centric and a change from smaller children playing (so smaller controller works better) to a more mature audience. Just like how they took advice on the PS4 design they have done so on the controller to and it seems to me it approaches a very zen like device.

Elite Guru
    Comparing a pen/pencil/musical instrument to a controller for a games console is mad. As is breaking down an opinion of someone else.

edit: I'll leave you with this. If the DS3 wasn't flawed, why did they make so many improvements to ergonomics?
    Last edited by EHY893; 10-22-2013 at 00:26.

Forum Elder
    I never had a problem with any dualshock.

Tried the 360 controller at a friends house and never understood The Rave for it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

10. Likes Leviticus likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    What is funny is at first when I first heard of the Dualshock getting revamped I was like, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! But after seeing all that they have done with it and all the positive feedback from it has received I am super excited to try it out now!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw26308 View Post
    I never had a problem with any dualshock.

Tried the 360 controller at a friends house and never understood The Rave for it.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    Me either, but a lot of people do. As evidenced by the amount of people complaining about it over the span of this current generation and the fact Sony changed the ergonomics up big time for the DS4.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    What is funny is at first when I first heard of the Dualshock getting revamped I was like, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! But after seeing all that they have done with it and all the positive feedback from it has received I am super excited to try it out now!
    I was worried they'd completely change the style and design but I'm glad all they did was fix the ergonomics and made it more rounded and slightly bigger. I think it'll be a fantastic controller and by far the best Dualshock ever.

Superior Member

Comparing a pen/pencil/musical instrument to a controller for a games console is mad. As is breaking down an opinion of someone else.

edit: I'll leave you with this. If the DS3 wasn't flawed, why did they make so many improvements to ergonomics?
    Oh I'm not saying your opinion was wrong...it was an opinion..I just thought your reason for it was a little flawed. As for changes..technology advances. Just because we started out with DHP 1080P TVs doesn't mean at the time it wasn't still a very very good TV. I'm not here to say one was better over another. I think a lot of peoples issues with their complaints about the controller wasn't do to a design issue...rather them holding it wrong. I know your arguement...it didn't seem natural...yet many things like holding a golf club isn't natural to most people the first time....yet they learn the proper grip and it dramatical improves their swing. It is a good point...and perhaps Sony should have shown people how to hold it correctly like they do with the Move device when the game loads...it is a good point you bring up..I just don't think it necessarily makes the DS3 a flawed device...just a misunderstood one.

Also I think changes were done to help make transition from xbox to PS4 easier for people as they intend on winning over many in the US and EU this gen. Nothing wrong with easing minds and making the transition a little easier while still satisfying its current user base by minimalistic changes.
    Last edited by davin_g; 10-22-2013 at 00:39.

Elite Guru
    The Dualshock didn't really change all that much in 3 generations of hardware. All I'm saying is, while the technology in the consoles advanced, the Dualshock didn't. It remained the same (near enough). I think their improvements for the DS4 were needed and have been needed for so long. I praise Sony for finally scrapping the old design. A controller that is comfy for more people is a better designed controller.

15. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83, davin_g likes this post
    Superior Member

The Dualshock didn't really change all that much in 3 generations of hardware. All I'm saying is, while the technology in the consoles advanced, the Dualshock didn't. It remained the same (near enough). I think their improvements for the DS4 were needed and have been needed for so long. I praise Sony for finally scrapping the old design. A controller that is comfy for more people is a better designed controller.
    I agree with you. Sony is adapting. Doesn't mean they had it wrong...but if people find the other controller more appealing than it is exactly the right thing to do. They haven't done anything to alienate their base for sure....slight changes that all together have a very pleasant affect....nothing wrong with change. Doesn't mean anything is wrong....just that your trying to get it right....I do agree Sony had a very arrogant attitude starting last gen...we do it our way and people love it because it is PS. Well they didn't listen to the consumers or developers and it humbled them. Seems they married a lovely PS model with some adaptive thinking and came out with a killer console this gen. I'm happy. Not as happy as with PS3...because I think the jump was so much more significant going from SD to HD and lets be honest that blu-ray player was killer!!!! Just like PS2 and the DVD player capabilities....home entertainment affordable all-in one...there isn't that leap this gen (outside the social aspects, i'm not the social gamer except pure online mutliplayer) but they just seem to hit the sweet spot of price and performance for me!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Honestly....I always prefered the xbox controller to the DS.

But for a while now, I've been playing my PS3 a lot and I've gotten used to the DS. I still don't think it's a good FPS controller. The sticks are just in the most inconvenient places. Mostly the left one. But the DS4 seems to have addressed this somewhat or so they say.

Can't wait to try it out, either way.

As they say....it's about the games. I might like the xbox controller a little more, but if the X1 is going to be so barren of exclusives and unoriginal ideas again this gen...then the Playstation will still be my console of choice....as the PS3 became mine this gen.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Ds4 will work with ps3 as long as it's plugged in

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OSZk18sVnq4

Also Sony tested both stick placements

"For the analog sticks, we did test having the analog sticks on top, since the Xbox has the left side on top [above the D-pad]," Sony's Toshimasa Aoki said. "Especially from the shooter teams--we got feedback that that's what they wanted. They knew that consumers liked the 360 for shooters."

Sony experimented with every possible combination of stick placement, even going so far as prototyping a controller with both analog sticks on top--much like the Wii U Pro Controller (above). However, Sony discovered that it didn't work.

Ultimately, "tradition" was what won out at Sony, with Aoki saying symmetrical sticks are part of the company's DNA. "The prototype team, myself, and also the management team really felt that having this look is the PlayStation look, and we had to keep that."
    http://www.shacknews.com/article/816...or-dualshock-4

Last edited by YoungMullah88; 10-22-2013 at 01:23.

19. Likes Admartian , EHY893 likes this post
    Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    Honestly....I always prefered the xbox controller to the DS.

But for a while now, I've been playing my PS3 a lot and I've gotten used to the DS. I still don't think it's a good FPS controller. The sticks are just in the most inconvenient places. Mostly the left one. But the DS4 seems to have addressed this somewhat or so they say.
    I think it feels wrong because muscle memory is so powerful...ESPECIALLY when you are dealing with pure reactionary movements. Thus being used to one controller would affect how another would feel. I'm sure since I've only played other peoples xbox's that is why I had some aggrivation...a millisecond can affect sooo much...especially in a fps. I think most people could adapt and be happy with either set up if given the time. That said holding it properly...can make a world of difference. Showed my brother how to hold it...I'm not lying within minutes his K/D ratio went up and he was so much more accurate on other games with jumping etc. He couldn't believe it. No lie.
    Can't wait to try it out, either way.

As they say....it's about the games. I might like the xbox controller a little more, but if the X1 is going to be so barren of exclusives and unoriginal ideas again this gen...then the Playstation will still be my console of choice....as the PS3 became mine this gen.
    Muscle memory is so strong if you switch controllers I think it will always be hard to adapt. In a game a millisecond difference can determine death and life in a fps etc. I showed my brother how to hold it once when he came over and I saw him just mauling the controller. Within minutes his K/D ratio went way up and his movements and timing in other games improved. He couldn't believe it. No lie.
    Last edited by davin_g; 10-22-2013 at 01:29.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by davin_g View Post
    Oh I'm not saying your opinion was wrong...it was an opinion..I just thought your reason for it was a little flawed. As for changes..technology advances. Just because we started out with DHP 1080P TVs doesn't mean at the time it wasn't still a very very good TV. I'm not here to say one was better over another. I think a lot of peoples issues with their complaints about the controller wasn't do to a design issue...rather them holding it wrong. I know your arguement...it didn't seem natural...yet many things like holding a golf club isn't natural to most people the first time....yet they learn the proper grip and it dramatical improves their swing. It is a good point...and perhaps Sony should have shown people how to hold it correctly like they do with the Move device when the game loads...it is a good point you bring up..I just don't think it necessarily makes the DS3 a flawed device...just a misunderstood one.

Also I think changes were done to help make transition from xbox to PS4 easier for people as they intend on winning over many in the US and EU this gen. Nothing wrong with easing minds and making the transition a little easier while still satisfying its current user base by minimalistic changes.
    It is a design issue. The thumbsticks were added later on to a design that wasn't originally meant for them. The DS1-3 definitely weren't bad, but ergonomics do improve. Teaching to hold an electronic device isn't the same as mastering a sport.

I am excited for the DS4.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post

Nice! Will still be playing my ps3 to finish some leftover backlog and some games that won't be on PS4. Good to know and that might sway me on picking up another controller at launch.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I think that Sony would have been crucified if they had went asymmetrical with the thumb sticks, even if it was noticeably better. Hopefully I'm able to adapt more to the symmetrical aspect with the improvements made. I've had the DS3 for four years and still suck with it. lol

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Nice! Will still be playing my ps3 to finish some leftover backlog and some games that won't be on PS4. Good to know and that might sway me on picking up another controller at launch.
    Amazon has a nice deal in their trade in department. Trade in $30 of gaming games/gear and get $30 off the price of a DS4. So basically trade in $30 and get a DS4. For those that trade stuff in. Seems a pretty fair deal if they give you a decent price for your stuff.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    Never liked the xbox controller, it felt like it was an infant toy. Always liked the DS and can't wait to check out the DS 4.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Hey guys - let's keep this strictly on DualShock controllers and stay on-topic please.

Cheers
    Martian

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

27. Likes EHY893, F34R likes this post
    Apprentice

PSN ID
    CMac-19
    I've always been a huge fan of the DS2 and DS3 and never understood the complaints. For COD my accuracy on my PS3 was actually better then on my 360 by about 4%.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post

I'm so glad Sony decided to stick with the traditional analog stick placement. The asymmetrical placement (360 and X1) is good, but I prefer the symmetrical stick placement on the DS controllers.
    Last edited by PhillyPhreak; 10-22-2013 at 04:01.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

Thread Information