Latest PSU headlines:

PSU Live Streamer

Which RPG should I play?

So with just under a month until PS4 launch, and having just finished GTAV. It's time for me to pull another game off my games list and play it. This time around I'm thinkin....rpg.

I've got 3 to choose from and am undecided as to which I should go with, so some feedback would be great. I actually made a thread months ago asking for opinions between Kingdoms of Amalur and Dragon's Dogma. I'm now adding Skyrim, Ni No Kuni, Mass Effect, Demon's Souls and Dark Souls to my "What to play next?" list.

So I'm looking for people that have played most if not all, to rank these games from top to bottom which is best use of my time until PS4 comes out. It should be noted that I haven't been a hardcore jprg guy since before this generation of console.

Ready, set, go!

edit:
    think I may be leaning towards Skyrim.
    Last edited by shepard; 10-22-2013 at 02:51.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    Mass Effect. hands down. Skyrim is great, and will be something good to play in-between PS4 titles, but you can easily beat the entire mass effect trilogy before the PS4 comes out without skipping over a lot of the side quests (which i recommend you do)

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a shitload of bubble gum"

3. Likes Ixion likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    I made an attempt not all that long ago to jump into the ME series...but I had some troubles getting into ME1. You think I could get by with starting ME2? I hear ME2 fixed many of the issues people complained about ME1...and I'm wondering if those are the issues I've having difficulty accepting.

Skyrim takes way too long. walking around the map will drain you at the beginning.

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    1. Ni No Kuni (must love JRPGS), Demons Souls(if you do not love JRPG)
    2. Dark Souls
    3. Skyrim
    4. Mass Effect

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariakace View Post
    Mass Effect. hands down. Skyrim is great, and will be something good to play in-between PS4 titles, but you can easily beat the entire mass effect trilogy before the PS4 comes out without skipping over a lot of the side quests (which i recommend you do)
    This. I'd go with the Mass Effect trilogy.

The Souls games are too bleak and silent for me, and Ni No Kuni is too childish. But that's just me. Those two games seem great if you're more into that.

Skyrim is a great game, but like Ariakace said, it's the perfect game to play sporadically over a long period of time. There's about 100 hours of content, but it's more of a relaxing experience (at least to me). I've had it for two years and I just finished doing all the quests.

Each Mass Effect game will take you about 20 hours, and they're paced very well. The first one has a convoluted inventory system, which is probably what turned you off. But just deal with that in the first game, since the next two are more streamlined. You'll definitely want to play the first one though, since it has a very good story and sets up the universe, even if the gameplay doesn't feel as good.
    Last edited by Ixion; 10-22-2013 at 04:00.

8. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    So Skyrim and Mass Effect tend to keep coming up one way or another. Guna be a tough choice. There still that nagging voice in the back of my head that took issue with ME1. Buddy at work thinks ME is the best series he's ever played, so I know where his vote lies. He's even told me to skip ME1 and go for ME2 because the ps3 version has the comic that details the events of ME1. Yea, thats how bad he wants me to play these games lol.

On the other hand I've got people I work work that brag about their 100s of hours invested in skyrim.

Guess I need to come to terms with whether I'm in the mood for a sci-fi rpg or a fantasy rpg.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Mass Effect is definitely a good choice. My personal favourite is the first one, because it has more RPG elements in it and has the best story telling, IMO. If you're not interested in the story and getting the full experience of ME, then you should play another game.

Dragon's Dogma is also a very good choice. It's way underated.

Kingdom of Amalur is a solid title, that I loved more and more the longer I played it.

Personally I wouldn't even consider the Souls games, but that's just about my personal taste.

Haven't played the other games, so I can't say anything about them. Skyrim looks nice.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    Yes, Mass Effect 1 for me was very hard to get into. I started off with ME2 with the comic thing, then played ME3 and loved every second of it. But what bothers me is the little nuances about the first game that are almost always mentioned in the second and third game that i had no memory of because that little mini-comic didnt cover it. After it became available on PSN and because of how much i had literally fallen in love with the franchise, i had to play ME1.

YES, it takes time to get used to. took me about 10-12 hours into the gameplay for it to feel comfortable, then it just felt like mass effect, and i was finally able to enjoy the entire series as a whole. Im actually re-playing the entire series myself. it will be my second play through ME1, 3rd for 2 and 3, and my second as a start-finish.

Im literally going back and intentionally making different choices to see how it effects the other two games later on down the road, though the game has been out for a while and ive kind of spoiled that for myself a little bit, but i want to experience it for myself. Im completely enamored with the Mass Effect series, and quite honestly, i think it really has taken the top slot for my favorite games ive ever played. The series is that good, and you would seriously be doing yourself a disservice by not playing it.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a shitload of bubble gum"

12. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I have played Demon Souls and Mass Effect, but am currently playing Ni No Kuni. I love Ni No Kuni and I recommend you play it next. I strongly recommend you do not skip Ni No Kuni before moving on to the PS4.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Haven't played half that list but everybody who has ever been a fan of RPGs must play Ni no Kuni at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    There still that nagging voice in the back of my head that took issue with ME1. Buddy at work thinks ME is the best series he's ever played, so I know where his vote lies. He's even told me to skip ME1 and go for ME2 because the ps3 version has the comic that details the events of ME1. Yea, thats how bad he wants me to play these games lol.
    I prefer Mass Effect 2 to the original so I agree with your buddy.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    Your name is shepard. You were born to play the ME trilogy!

Thread Information