Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 5 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room

So apparently...next gen graphics aren't going to be that big of a leap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34us0ZK9QjQ

Do you guys agree?

I mean....I see games like Killzone: SF and I'm totally fine with it. I see the difference and it looks fantastic.

2. Likes VayMasters86, Admartian likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Yup, it's more of an AI leap this gen

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

4. Likes Saigon likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Graphics never were a big deal to me anyway. If I wanted raw graphics I'd play on my PC (Like I do occasionally).

edit: I'll also add that they aren't a big deal to me based on what I've seen so far. The games coming out at the beginning of the next gen cycle look fantastic and they will only get better. Graphics for me have reached a point in which they look good enough.

Hell games like The Last of Us look amazing and they are current gen.
    Last edited by EHY893; 10-22-2013 at 20:04.

Superior Member
    LOL WTF? I've been a PC gamer for the last 2 years and that KZSF looks incredible IMO.

Veteran
    Killzone Shadowfall explosions say, "Hello, next gen explosions":

That guy in the youtube video is just all sour grapes because he is one of the dolts that kept saying for months that next gen graphics wouldn't be that big of a leap. He and many others are added to the list of

"If man was meant to fly, God would have made him with wings"
    "It is impossible for a car to go faster than 60mph because all the air would be sucked out of the carriage"
    "People do not want a television studio in their house" - Amstrad, inventor of the VCR
    "640K is more memory than anybody will ever need" - Bill Gates
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

8. Likes Zswordsman, MonkeyClaw likes this post
    PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Some will cite the whole ''diminishing returns'' assertion when discussing next generation hardware but that argument rarely holds any real weight due to the fact that graphics aren't solely based upon one single factor anymore. There's a plethora of things to consider when that's brought into focus, and rightly so. For me, the leaps for this upcoming generation will come in creating more dense, realistic and responsive (and thus immersive) worlds; believable physics, collision mechanics and facial animation all will play an intrinsic part in moving forward. But let's not forget this is the very beginning of a new generation, and with that come cross-platform games by the bucketload and they're rarely the beacon of quality to display just what a new console can do, as referenced by the video mentioned - give it two years and we'll see what the PlayStation 4 can really churn out!
    Last edited by Shockwave; 10-22-2013 at 20:27.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    Graphics never were a big deal to me anyway. If I wanted raw graphics I'd play on my PC (Like I do occasionally).

edit: I'll also add that they aren't a big deal to me based on what I've seen so far. The games coming out at the beginning of the next gen cycle look fantastic and they will only get better. Graphics for me have reached a point in which they look good enough.

Hell games like The Last of Us look amazing and they are current gen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34us0ZK9QjQ

Do you guys agree?

I mean....I see games like Killzone: SF and I'm totally fine with it. I see the difference and it looks fantastic.
    Agree with both sentiments.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    I'll bump this thread 3-4 years from now and we'll have a good laugh...subscribed

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    So far from what I've seen it's been what I've actually expected. A major step up in graphic fidelity, but not enough to outstrip what 1080p can display.

If some of you recall a couple months back there was a discussion about PS4 not supporting 4K on games and MS saying they could (not necessarily that anyone had plans to do so.) I was actually saying that it would be stupid to support 4K until they max out the graphic fidelity of 1080p which they weren't even close to last gen even on games like The Last of Us, and won't hit it this gen.
    For 4K gaming you'd need 4x more memory and processing on pixel count base alone before working on graphic fidelity improvements and we still don't have the graphic power to real time generate 1080p w/ CGI quality.

I didn't expect it to have the graphic fidelity level such that in game play looked to be movie quality CGI of even 10yrs ago (early HD CGI.) But maybe that was the expectation of some of these folks that have made the statements that it won't be that big of a jump. I said it before that setting such goals are nice, but extremely difficult to hit.

I'd say Tre's comments were just plan stupid IMHO, this YouTube review was a bit closer to reality, but what he thinks people expect for a generation leap and what others think for a generation leap are not necessarily the same.

PSU Editor
    PSN ID
    NeoShockWave
    Items Title StyleLiquid Ocelotid SoftwareKonamiUser name styleNaughty DogBig BossTidusPlayStationManchester UnitedAuron
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    So far from what I've seen it's been what I've actually expected. A major step up in graphic fidelity, but not enough to outstrip what 1080p can display.

If some of you recall a couple months back there was a discussion about PS4 not supporting 4K on games and MS saying they could (not necessarily that anyone had plans to do so.) I was actually saying that it would be stupid to support 4K until they max out the graphic fidelity of 1080p which they weren't even close to last gen even on games like The Last of Us, and won't hit it this gen.
    For 4K gaming you'd need 4x more memory and processing on pixel count base alone before working on graphic fidelity improvements and we still don't have the graphic power to real time generate 1080p w/ CGI quality.

I didn't expect it to have the graphic fidelity level such that in game play looked to be movie quality CGI of even 10yrs ago (early HD CGI.) But maybe that was the expectation of some of these folks that have made the statements that it won't be that big of a jump. I said it before that setting such goals are nice, but extremely difficult to hit.

I'd say Tre's comments were just plan stupid IMHO, this YouTube review was a bit closer to reality, but what he thinks people expect for a generation leap and what others think for a generation leap are not necessarily the same.
    Yup, it speaks volumes that the supposed borderline requirement of 60FPS/1080P isn't being met at all times by this first batch of games. As you say, it's rightly nonsensical to even consider 4K for any sort of gaming for a few years yet.

Follow me on Twitter @Adam_PSU for all things PlayStation!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Killzone Shadowfall explosions say, "Hello, next gen explosions":

Geez, those graphics and explosions are so this gen...pre-order cancelled...

LOL!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

15. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KungenMartiin
    So after listening to this guy for a while, I realized that nothing he says really matters. So I stopped listening, and not cuz I'm a hater. He's allowed to think whatever the $#@! he wants to think.

I've seen plenty of games so far that have a "ginormeous leap" in graphical fidelity compared to the current gen/previous gen, whatever you wanna call it. So if I've already seen it with my own eyes, what do his words, or random people from different developers words, matter?

I also find it funny that an alledged Bioware employee (probably a stupid producer rep) said that there won't be a big leap in graphical fidelity, when one of their own games (Dragon Age Inquisition) has already shown that big leap. Like wtf.

17. Likes Two4DaMoney , MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Killzone Shadowfall explosions say, "Hello, next gen explosions": That guy in the youtube video is just all sour grapes because he is one of the dolts that kept saying for months that next gen graphics wouldn't be that big of a leap. He and many others are added to the list of "If man was meant to fly, God would have made him with wings" "It is impossible for a car to go faster than 60mph because all the air would be sucked out of the carriage" "People do not want a television studio in their house" - Amstrad, inventor of the VCR "640K is more memory than anybody will ever need" - Bill Gates
    Wow that Killzone gif looks amazing!!!! Not that big of a leap my ass. lol

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Better but not as big a leap as I was expecting. I have a gaming pC now, so I don't have to worry about it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Better but not as big a leap as I was expecting. I have a gaming pC now, so I don't have to worry about it.
    You sure sing a different tune in the XBone section. So I guess its safe to say that you now feel that XBone graphics arent as big a leap as you were expecting either right? lol

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    You sure sing a different tune in the XBone section. So I guess its safe to say that you now feel that XBone graphics arent as big a leap as you were expecting either right? lol
    Watch out, you might make Sub's head explode!

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

22. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Watch out, you might make Sub's head explode!
    Yeah, some people here are just so transparent. lol

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Depends on what your taking as 'not that big of a leap' to mean.. everybodys definition is different. Personally, more horespower should equal more immersive story's, more going on..a richer experience. Fingers crossed.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    I'll bump this thread 3-4 years from now and we'll have a good laugh...subscribed Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    Having a good laugh now looking at that awesome looking KZ SF gif Bligmerk posted. I can only imagine what 3 or 4 years down the road will look like.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Geez, those graphics and explosions are so this gen...pre-order cancelled...

LOL!
    Clearly not next-gen, just a dull chain of explosions, each explosion is just a single explosion. I want explosions exploding, I demand explosions in my explosions. Don't get me started on the lack of glitter! I'm canceling my pre-order, so I can pre-order and cancel again.

27. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicnuke View Post
    Clearly not next-gen, just a dull chain of explosions, each explosion is just a single explosion. I want explosions exploding, I demand explosions in my explosions. Don't get me started on the lack of glitter! I'm canceling my pre-order, so I can pre-order and cancel again.
    Amen brother!

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Veteran
    inFamous Second Son says, "Hey! What about over here?".

One big graphics improvement that is starting to show up with SONY STUDIO FIRST PARTY PS4 games is much smoother character animation motions. Animation is part of graphics and more fluid, lifelike animation is part of next gen. That and eye popping visual lighting and volumetric effects are big leaps that are going to turn to bounds.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    inFamous Second Son says, "Hey! What about over here?".

One big graphics improvement that is starting to show up with SONY STUDIO FIRST PARTY PS4 games is much smoother character animation motions. Animation is part of graphics and more fluid, lifelike animation is part of next gen. That and eye popping visual lighting and volumetric effects are big leaps that are going to turn to bounds.
    I see glitter like graphics for atomicnuke.

All is not lost.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ShockWave View Post
    Yup, it speaks volumes that the supposed borderline requirement of 60FPS/1080P isn't being met at all times by this first batch of games. As you say, it's rightly nonsensical to even consider 4K for any sort of gaming for a few years yet.
    Microsoft's so full of it.
    They will just upscale a 720p screen to 2160p.
    For those that don't know, 4k is really 2K if you compare to 1080p being 1k.
    The jackholes switched to measuring vertical instead of horizontal to get a bigger number.
    3840x2160 is 4K

I also see 4K Tetris and 4K Backgammon, that's doable.
    4K Halo 8? Not without upscaling, you don't have a fill rate on either machine for it.

Praetor Illuminatus
    I think both the PS3 and 360 were pretty underpowered for pushing full 1080p games. We're now entering a much better HD era. It's a lot like how the PS2 really pushed 3d graphics on screen properly for standard def TVs along with the first XBox. This time around, it's the same for HDTVs. Oddly enough, PS4 is the one really pushing the envelope, though.

PC gamers will be all about 4K and multiple screen gaming during this gen to tout against the consoles.

Thread Information