Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    felix336
    People say this literally every time we transition to a new generation. And every time they are easily proved wrong. I remember being on this very site reading the exact same threads/discussions about the PS3.

2. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    I fully believe this isn't a big leap we're seeing. These consoles will start looking outdated compared to mid range gaming rigs pretty soon (if they haven't already). Even ps4's best looking game , killzone sf is looking pretty good but i dont see anything jaw dropping about it. I'll be waiting to get a ps4 until a game comes out that really justifies making the leap to me. I would've preferred if these companies would've waited another year and put out more powerful consoles.

The biggest leap i've ever seen on consoles was going from ps1 to dreamcast (soul blade - soul calibur).

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Killzone Shadowfall explosions say, "Hello, next gen explosions":

This. Like... seriously -drool-

Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    I fully believe this isn't a big leap we're seeing. These consoles will start looking outdated compared to mid range gaming rigs pretty soon (if they haven't already). Even ps4's best looking game , killzone sf is looking pretty good but i dont see anything jaw dropping about it. I'll be waiting to get a ps4 until a game comes out that really justifies making the leap to me. I would've preferred if these companies would've waited another year and put out more powerful consoles.

The biggest leap i've ever seen on consoles was going from ps1 to dreamcast (soul blade - soul calibur).
    I just don't see the point in comparing current gen consoles to ever-evolving gaming rigs. The point of consoles is for developers to focus on a singular gaming machine that is supposed to last 5 years or more. Because of this... developers need to figure out how to optimize all of their talents to squeeze out every bit of juice out of these machines... so they're always coming up with new tricks until the next generation of consoles comes around. I will only ever compare consoles with the previous generation because I'm comparing them with other non-changing machines. PCs will keep getting more and more powerful so there's no point in comparing the two.
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-23-2013 at 05:32.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

PSN ID
    Loopoiu
    Yeah I agree the A.I is the only thing that will improve greatly I mean how far can we see the graphics go this anyways ?

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by adzzzman View Post
    Yeah I agree the A.I is the only thing that will improve greatly I mean how far can we see the graphics go this anyways ?
    You have seen like Pacific Rim and such lately?

Graphics are not just some surfaces looking good, it's also interaction and how things affect each others.

Movies use huge amounts of memory and processing power for interactive elements like water and then hopefully raytrace the complex interaction of light when it goes trough droplets etc. (Terabytes of storage and gigabytes for a small area when rendering.)
    Latest and greatest of interactive water rendering is quite far currently. (Starting to be quite nice.)

Same goes for characters and all those secondary animation effects which make sure that nothing goes trough another part of character and everything deforms properly. (muscles, fat tissue, skin etc.)
    IE. Weta Tissue.
    And so on..

We will be seeing a lot of interesting tech this generation, it will be constant improvement like this and previous generation was.
    We have seen huge change in tools as well and things only get better.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

7. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Get over it, they are what they are
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Look at Resistance: Fall of Man vs The Last of Us.

yeah.

the start of the gen always isn't as wow. its progressive

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Oh boy lol errrm please remember the launch games vs swan song games for every single PlayStation console ever created...then look at KZ:SF and inFamous: SS and apply the former sentiment. This gen is bringing plenty enough and history says it's only going to get more badass.

Edit: lol Dark... great minds think alike.
    Last edited by Ghost; 10-23-2013 at 07:32.

11. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    Look at Resistance: Fall of Man vs The Last of Us.

yeah.

the start of the gen always isn't as wow. its progressive
    I completely agree.
    I think it's like this every new console launch.
    They show us amazing graphics running on PCs way more powerful than what the actual console will be.
    Then slowly start to integrate console graphics into the picture. Just like they did with BF4 and Watch Dogs, we all thought that first footage of those two games were gonna be the actual consoles graphics, which gets us all hyped up and preordering consoles, and when this time comes around we've all pretty much come to terms with the console not beating PCs this gen...of course, and are just excited for something new and just want some new games.
    $#@! who's better and just play!

13. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Veteran
    There is one console manufacturer pushing the subject line, emphasizing how graphics aren't everything and how there probably isn't going to be a big leap in graphics next gen...because this statement is true about their machine, since it doesn't have the power to make a big leap.

That company isn't Sony.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

15. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34us0ZK9QjQ

Do you guys agree?

I mean....I see games like Killzone: SF and I'm totally fine with it. I see the difference and it looks fantastic.
    They had better be, im not spending 400 on a next gen console for damn Amstrad/Spectrum graphics!! Graphics are VERY important to me

edit...im beyond heartbroken TLOU isnt coming to the ps4...im never gonna get to play that
    Last edited by 33x; 10-23-2013 at 08:48.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Master Sage
    Not that big of a leap you say

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    You look at it this way, look at what can be still done in terms of graphics on current gen and next gen will only improve over time and they will be incredible
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Member
    I'm sorry, I don't agree...
    I don't agree with the main post and I don't agree with the sentiment about the early games not having a "wow" factor...

Nearly everything I've seen thus far for next gen consoles that stress graphics is remarkably beyond what I've seen this gen...
    Comparing Infamous Second Son to the likes of The Last Of Us and saying TLOU is in the same league baffles me...and TLOU was a graphical beast, imo...

Maybe I need vision correction or something...but I've most certainly been wow'd thus far lol...

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzano-O View Post
    I'm sorry, I don't agree...
    I don't agree with the main post and I don't agree with the sentiment about the early games not having a "wow" factor...

Nearly everything I've seen thus far for next gen consoles that stress graphics is remarkably beyond what I've seen this gen...
    Comparing Infamous Second Son to the likes of The Last Of Us and saying TLOU is in the same league baffles me...and TLOU was a graphical beast, imo...

Maybe I need vision correction or something...but I've most certainly been wow'd thus far lol...
    Are you saying the main post as in the link I posted.....or my post/opinion.

B/c you're agreeing with me....I said that I already see a big difference.

Banned

Well my opinion is that we ARE seeing the law of diminishing returns in graphics in general. Not saying they aren't good graphics. But I've been noticing I'm slowly becoming less and less impressed with games graphically as each gen progresses. I've been gaming since my first pong system in 1976.

Gaming is becoming like the movie industry. You start seeing long running cliches and rehashes in many areas. Movies have a slight advantage in that actor personalities are easier to convey and like in movies. It's much harder to get that right in games, although L.A. Noire's great facial animations took a big step in the right direction in translating that same feeling in games.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style

So apparently...next gen graphics aren't going to be that big of a leap.

A lot of that isn't so much due to "diminishing returns", but because games are starting to cost almost as much as movies to produce, so less risks are being taken. Cliches that sell are safe... so I agree it's like the movie industry. They've found a formula that works... and sells... and they're sticking to it. If gets boring after a while though. That's why I really enjoy indie games.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Well my opinion is that we ARE seeing the law of diminishing returns in graphics in general. Not saying they aren't good graphics. But I've been noticing I'm slowly becoming less and less impressed with games graphically as each gen progresses. I've been gaming since my first pong system in 1976.

Gaming is becoming like the movie industry. You start seeing long running cliches and rehashes in many areas. Movies have a slight advantage in that actor personalities are easier to convey and like in movies. It's much harder to get that right in games, although L.A. Noire's great facial animations took a big step in the right direction in translating that same feeling in games.
    It could also just be your perception or how excited you are with each proceeding generation. It would be fair to say that I am probably not as ecstatic going from ps3 to ps4 as I was for ps1 to ps2. Ps2 to ps3 would big higher to, but that could be because it was the first console I got on launch day with my own money.

If we want to get technical though, I agree that we might be seeing diminishing returns in certain aspects of graphics, mainly poly count and geometric detail of models. But textures, animation, lighting and physics all have a way to go yet.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    I'm not a graphic $#@! like some other gamers are. Yes visuals are important to some degree but it doesn't make or break a game. I rather the developers work harder on making sure the gameplay runs smooth in single players and for multiplayer making sure the online part of the game is working. I'm tired spending loads of money on games that don't work or have to fix something that should already work. Gameplay is more important to me than graphics.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Netherlord
    I've been reading this thread, and me personally while the graphics for KZ:SF look great, and all I just feel like people are lying to themselves saying they don't care about the graphics. I mean really maybe this is just me, and if it is so be it, but at the very beginning of any new console it was always about what you see first. Heck what got the ball rolling with PS3 was Killzone 2 everyone always kept mentioning the trailer not a peep was said about Physics, Shadows, Lighting....etc etc.

It was just the graphics, and I think this will still continue into PS5-89 or whatever. Cause I mean really when these trailers came out never heard a whole lot of info concerning anything about the games besides the graphics.

Diminishing returns though by the time this console lifecycle is complete believe you're going to see some of the best textures and maybe animations, but physics maybe not.

Edit: Also agreed with going from Super Nintendo to PS1 and on and on these are the only consoles I feel like I don't want yet.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatSpaceKoaster View Post
    Well my opinion is that we ARE seeing the law of diminishing returns in graphics in general. Not saying they aren't good graphics. But I've been noticing I'm slowly becoming less and less impressed with games graphically as each gen progresses. I've been gaming since my first pong system in 1976..
    I agree with that, I've never been as impressed since as I was going from gaming on an Amstrad cpc464 to seeing the intro to Shadow of the Beast 2 on my shiny new Amiga.
    WOOF! WOOF!

Praetor Illuminatus

You can literally see the difference in this gif. The first half of the explosion was like the explosion in PS3 mode and the second half was like the explosion remembered it was on a PS4.

28. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Super Elite
    TBH I didn't think there woud be much difference the PS2 and the PS3 but how I was mistaken. You wait as soon as the PS4 is in people's living rooms you'll see people starting going on about how good the graphics are.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Ultimate Veteran
    we are not compareing the next gen consoles to pcs so leave pcs out of if. people are compareing enxt gen to this gen

Apprentice
    While I'll admit I didn't read every post here, I think people are forgetting some things about graphical prowess this gen.

Everyone's talking about diminishing returns, which we are only seeing with the number of polygons being used for game assets. While the polygon count for individual items may not impress this coming generation, there are a plethora of other things that make a game look beautiful.

This coming generation of console games is putting a large focus on particle effects. Simply put: they already look absolutely amazing. Things like fire, sparks, water, magic spells and the like will no longer be traded in for 2D sprites. They will be individually rendered particles with full physics.

Another thing that people are vastly overlooking is the entire dynamic lighting situation. Mix this with some next gen post-processing and you're going to get a sense of depth like never before. Cut scenes will be presented in an entirely cinematic experience and the gameplay will place you in the environment more effectively.

What I'm hoping for is to see some much better animations sequenced in the games. Killzone 2 blew me away when it first came out, but Naughty Dog has shown what animations can do to a game. Being able to calculate the movement of more bones and joints to give those subtleties a more lifelike appearance.

From what I've seen so far, these elements of the next-gen console games are being shown off quite well. People tend to focus too much on the characters of a game and not enough on the atmosphere of it.

Thread Information