• 3 Samsung Plasma

3 13.64%
  • Other... Please Explain

11 50.00%
Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    Items PlayStation

Question BEST TV for Next-Gen?!

With a new generation of gaming kicking off within the next month, I want to make sure that I have a GREAT TV to accommodate for the GREAT graphics we're going to be seeing from the PS4. I understand that low Input Lag and a high Refresh Rate are 2 of the best things to look for in TV's for gaming. Also, I could care less about the perks of a 3D and/or Smart Tv. All I want is the best bang for my buck, so my Playstation 4 games will be looking the best they could be!

So, I'm looking at a few TV's...

1) Samsung (Model: UN40F6300AFXZA) 40inch Smart LED 1080p TV (NO 3D), 120Hz Refresh Rate, 42ms Input Lag, $630

2) Toshiba (Model: 39L1350U) 39inch LED 1080p TV (NO Smart or 3D), 120Hz Refresh Rate, 30ms Input Lag, $370

3) Samsung (Model: PN43F4500AFXZA) 43inch Plasma ONLY 720p TV, BUT 600Hz Refresh Rate, 46ms Input Lag, $400

I'm leaning toward either 1) either or 2) because they are both 1080p, but 3) is pretty sexy as well because it's Refresh Rate is 600Hz, BUT it is only 720p. The argument is made greater for 2) because the Input Lag is lower and it is much cheaper than 1). BUT by default I feel Samsung TVs are naturally better than Toshiba TVs. Also if it helps, I sit about 5-6ft away from my TV.

Somebody PLEASE help! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I used http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/ as my source on Input Lag.

EDIT: P.S.S Can somebody please answer this for me as well... Why do some TV's with a Refresh Rate of 60Hz have better Input Lag rates than some TV's with a Refresh Rate of 120Hz?! I'm starting to notice this on displaylag.com. So does the Refresh Rate really matter all that much?
    By the way the TV's are of same size, maker, LED, 1080p, etc. Just different Refresh Rates and maybe the year of make.
    Last edited by patthebaker321; 10-24-2013 at 00:50.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    If you're into action games and sports plasma all dsy.. I've had both, snd still do.. Plasma is my primary living room TV and i notice a difference for sure.

Plasmas aren't how they used to be either.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Items PlayStation
    Side Note: I notice there are quite a few "Guests" viewing this page; if you don't already have an account with PSU, CREATE ONE! It's free and the community is great! Ok, back on Topic...

4. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Apprentice
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post
    If you're into action games and sports plasma all dsy.. I've had both, snd still do.. Plasma is my primary living room TV and i notice a difference for sure.

Plasmas aren't how they used to be either.

You don't think there will be that much of a difference between the 720p Plasma and either of the 1080p LEDs?

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Quote Originally Posted by patthebaker321 View Post
    You don't think there will be that much of a difference between the 720p Plasma and either of the 1080p LEDs?
    I think you will see a difference between 720p and 1080p, but will all nest gen games even be 1080p, look what happened this gen gone. I'd say go for your first choice. The Led i have in bedroom is a 40 inch Samsung and is great too.

Don't go 720p, remember your TV is an investment for the future.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    I think you will see a difference between 720p and 1080p, but will all nest gen games even be 1080p, look what happened this gen gone. I'd say go for your first choice. The Led i have in bedroom is a 40 inch Samsung and is great too. Then again for that price you could have an awesome plasma.

Sorry double post.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    46ms is quite a bit of input lag, that mixed with a wireless controller, lag from a wireless router and network ping could have an overall effect on your gaming experience!

If you're a hardcore gamer go for a gaming monitor or a PLASMA, PLASMA's are super cheap and I think you can get like 6ms input lag which is a lot better than 46 and is close to what the old CRT monitors could do.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I got a Samsung and the back light dims when the scene is dark. ITs annoying to say the least and is driving me mad so I wouldn't recommend a Samsung TV ever.

Apprentice
    Items PlayStation
    I think you will see a difference between 720p and 1080p, but will all nest gen games even be 1080p, look what happened this gen gone. I'd say go for your first choice. The Led i have in bedroom is a 40 inch Samsung and is great too.

Hmmm good point, but I figure as this upcoming generation moves along we will see mostly if not all games be 1080p so I rather be ready for that than by ANOTHER TV when that time comes. Plus, look at the likes of Killzone: Shadow Fall... it's a launch title and isn't it 1080p?

Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    46ms is quite a bit of input lag, that mixed with a wireless controller, lag from a wireless router and network ping could have an overall effect on your gaming experience!

If you're a hardcore gamer go for a gaming monitor or a PLASMA, PLASMA's are super cheap and I think you can get like 6ms input lag which is a lot better than 46 and is close to what the old CRT monitors could do.
    While I have heard of people using Monitors for their consoles, I don't really know much about them. Like say, how do they compare VS TVs? And what are the Pros and Cons?

Apprentice
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I got a Samsung and the back light dims when the scene is dark. ITs annoying to say the least and is driving me mad so I wouldn't recommend a Samsung TV ever.
    Oh wow, I didn't know that. There isn't anyway to turn that feature off?

Dedicated Member
    With a new generation of gaming kicking off within the next month, I want to make sure that I have a GREAT TV to accommodate for the GREAT graphics we're going to be seeing from the PS4. I understand that low Input Lag and a high Refresh Rate are 2 of the best things to look for in TV's for gaming. Also, I could care less about the perks of a 3D and/or Smart Tv. All I want is the best bang for my buck, so my Playstation 4 games will be looking the best they could be!

So, I'm looking at a few TV's...

1) Samsung (Model: UN40F6300AFXZA) 40inch Smart LED 1080p TV (NO 3D), 120Hz Refresh Rate, 42ms Input Lag, $630

2) Toshiba (Model: 39L1350U) 39inch LED 1080p TV (NO Smart or 3D), 120Hz Refresh Rate, 30ms Input Lag, $370

3) Samsung (Model: PN43F4500AFXZA) 43inch Plasma ONLY 720p TV, BUT 600Hz Refresh Rate, 46ms Input Lag, $400

I'm leaning toward either 1) either or 2) because they are both 1080p, but 3) is pretty sexy as well because it's Refresh Rate is 600Hz, BUT it is only 720p. The argument is made greater for 2) because the Input Lag is lower and it is much cheaper than 1). BUT by default I feel Samsung TVs are naturally better than Toshiba TVs. Also if it helps, I sit about 5-6ft away from my TV.

Somebody PLEASE help! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. I used http://www.displaylag.com/display-database/ as my source on Input Lag.

I'd encourage you to look for a SONY because they reproduce colors more accurately and don't crush Black as much... Samsung's Plasma crush black ALOT and their cheaper LED's tend towards blue. Almost any 40in SONY if you can get new at that price would make a better picture, best would be a Panasonic Plasma, but, not sure you can pull that off.

This person isn't spending $300 on calibration so nobody should correct the above statements and hope to keep the slightest bit of their credentials given these price constraints.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 10-23-2013 at 00:34.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Oh wow, I didn't know that. There isn't anyway to turn that feature off?
    Not that I have found.

Apprentice
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    I'd encourage you to look for a SONY because they reproduce colors more accurately and don't crush Black as much... Samsung's Plasma crush black ALOT and their cheaper LED's tend towards blue. Almost any 40in SONY if you can get new at that price would make a better picture, best would be a Panasonic Plasma, but, not sure you can pull that off.

This person isn't spending $300 on calibration so nobody should correct the above statements and hope to keep the slightest bit of their credentials given these price constraints.
    I shall look into Sony TVs as well. I just hadn't really, because I always hear of them being quite more expensive.

I don't understand the 2nd part of your statement, "This person isn't spending $300 on calibration to nobody is allowed to correct the above statements and keep the slightest bit of their credentials given these price constraints."

Apprentice
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Not that I have found.
    Dang it, ok thanks!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Sorry dude I am looking to get either the Samsung F550 or the F8500. Just depends on what I am willing to pay. I went with this after a detailed research in each of the Plasmas available. I was also thinking of a Panasonic, I can't remember the model, but I did not even consider because they said it wasn't good for gaming.

Apprentice
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    Sorry dude I am looking to get either the Samsung F550 or the F8500. Just depends on what I am willing to pay. I went with this after a detailed research in each of the Plasmas available. I was also thinking of a Panasonic, I can't remember the model, but I did not even consider because they said it wasn't good for gaming.
    I'm going to look into the Panasonic's right now. I just looked into the Sony's but they're impossible to find. All I'm finding are Refurbished units, or Ebay listings.

Dedicated Member
    The best setup is a JVC D-ILA projector and a grand 90" screen..which I have. Fck tv's.

Ultimate Veteran
    I game on a 50 inch panny plamasa and its fine never get a Tosbia LCD there bad.
    If the tv is smaller then 32 inches then u can't tell if its 720 or 1080 p
    Just get a Sammy lcd
    Last edited by coolguy; 10-23-2013 at 04:24.

Apprentice
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    I game on a 50 inch panny plamasa and its fine never get a Tosbia LCD there bad.
    If the tv is smaller then 32 inches then u can't tell if its 720 or 1080 p
    Just get a Sammy lcd
    Yea that's what I hear, so being as I'm aiming for a 40inch TV, I think I might go with an LED 1080p. But the Samsung is much more expensive than the Toshiba. Why do you say Toshiba's suck?

Dedicated Member
    I shall look into Sony TVs as well. I just hadn't really, because I always hear of them being quite more expensive.

I don't understand the 2nd part of your statement, "This person isn't spending $300 on calibration to nobody is allowed to correct the above statements and keep the slightest bit of their credentials given these price constraints."
    If you buy in a retailer with services, they will say your TV will look best if one of their service tech's come out to 'calibrate' it.
    With some TV's, the only way to get them to stop crushing black and get an acceptable white balance is to have an ISF Certified Technician come out, put this big sensor on the screen, hook up a computer to it and adjust values in the 'service menu' which you don't have access too.

We have some KNOW IT ALLS around here, who will accuse me of the same, that usually would jump in with their own corrections to anyone else's statement. I don't anticipate your going to spend over $700 given what you just posted and that the TV's you are shopping need to have an acceptable picture out of the box. Honestly, some of the expensive TV's are AMAZING and others have a scheme going with the retailers that they have amazing performce that can only truely be reached with a calibration, and not through their on screen menus (service menu are not 'normally' accessable, you have to know the special codes and the voodoo to tweak it).
    I love Panasonic and SONY because i've worked for both companies for years at different times and the TV's are BOSS, and i love LG because they are alot like Panasonic, their stuff regularly just never breaks. SONY's TV's are like that as well. NOTICE WHICH NAME I LEFT OUT, and beware of that.
    I personally have a Panasonic 50GT25 and would love to get the current 50ST60 model... those are beautiful.
    A TV with a THX mode usually has a high rating and exceptional color / picture reproduction. A friend of mine has a 42S20 and it's honestly got a great picture in the vivid mode, because Panasonic knew that panel just 'had to work' and they didn't give you many menu options. My GT I can teak nearly EVERYTHING and the ST has better menus still.
    Another friend has a 32S 1080p by SONY from a couple years back and it's actually stunning.
    SONY uses true white CCFL backlights and White LED's in their models and that allows you to capture much better color reproduction and their algorithm tends towards using a fat mean distribution, so it only crushes out the DARKEST of dark colors and promotes the dark colors that in greyscale should be visible, instead of crushing them.
    It doesn't hurt that Panasonic has a huge presence in the video post production industry for movie and TV and SONY draws directly from the tech they develop from their TV Camera business, movie business and tv business. I'm not sure how LG gets it right, but, their monitors are sweet and i find their TV's right up there.
    As for the other brand(rhyms with Hamsung), search their name and class action lawsuits, their name and recalls, etc. I just don't depend on them when it comes to longevity, they win some awards, but, frankly, Panasonic usually wipes everyone off the map when it comes down to the bottom line.

ALSO, as a side note, if you find yourself staring at a beautiful SANYO, go ahead, Panasonic owns them and makes that TV.
    Last edited by John Willaford; 10-23-2013 at 05:36.

22. Likes patthebaker321 likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Yea that's what I hear, so being as I'm aiming for a 40inch TV, I think I might go with an LED 1080p. But the Samsung is much more expensive than the Toshiba. Why do you say Toshiba's suck?
    Other than 2007 when Toshiba had a run of bad REGZA panels, i'm not sure WHY one would overlook Toshiba.
    Toshiba has a great product and lousy marketing.

Apprentice
    Items PlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by John Willaford View Post
    Other than 2007 when Toshiba had a run of bad REGZA panels, i'm not sure WHY one would overlook Toshiba.
    Toshiba has a great product and lousy marketing.
    Wow, it sure does sound like you know what you're talking about. Thanks for your responses! I wasn't sure what I was going to do and I still don't quite know yet, but you've made me much less skeptical about Panasonic and Toshiba. Going to do a lot more studying up before I make a final decision, but thanks for your input.

Thanks to everyone thus far!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    nooe, happy with my 32" inch
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member
    Though i use a projector for gaming, looking to upgrade the tv in the living room , im not looking at any of these brands , im looking at a sharp aquos quattron, i've seen them in action and the 4 color RGBY technology is revolutionary, it boosts the color reproduction to levels which no samsung or sony tv's can achieve.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from Metal King SlimeColeBattlefield 3
    This year for TVS. Sony is the top with their models. The best TV for gaming has been said its Sony W955 or Samsung series 8000.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Thread Information