Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

Dualshock 4 Teardown!

Found this on Reddit! More pics after the link!

http://imgur.com/a/ytRW5#0

Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 10-24-2013 at 15:59.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

2. Likes victorijapoosp , TAZ427 likes this post
    High on WRC
    PSN ID
    Makinen
    I was shocked by what I read earlier this morning that the Dualshock 4:

Quote from IGN

The PS4's DualShock 4 controller won't make use of analogue face buttons.
    VentureBeat reveals that the next-gen controller won't be able to sense how hard you're pressing its buttons, unlike the PlayStation 3's DualShock.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    "next-gen controller won't be able to sense how hard you're pressing its buttons"

Was that feature used widely in current gen games?

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    Quote Originally Posted by bat0nas View Post
    "next-gen controller won't be able to sense how hard you're pressing its buttons"

Nope. That's why Sony opted to go with digital buttons (except for L2 and R2) on the DS4.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

6. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Makinen View Post

Quote from IGN
    They announced that a while back, the only games that really took advantage of that were some racing games (it was introduced with the Dualshock 2), but since the Dualshock 3 had triggers that was used for a gas pedal more than the buttons!

Quote Originally Posted by bat0nas View Post

Not that I can think of, I know in the PS2/Dualshock 2 days it was used more widely, but with the PS3 and its triggers those analog buttons were kinda rendered obsolete.
    Last edited by MonkeyClaw; 10-24-2013 at 17:33.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Makinen View Post

Quote from IGN
    That's been known for some time...and nobody cares (nobody used it and quite frankly it didn't work that well)

9. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    I really wish it found some uses by devs this gen, but no one utilized it for anything so it just got lost and forgotten.
    The one and only thing I really respect from Microsoft is that they use actual potentiometers (variable control like a volume knob) instead of just an analog sensor in the triggers, which does the same thing but cost quite a bit more and is more precise.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    When he said face buttons at the beginning, I think he meant Shoulder buttons. The triggers are still analogue. Then he used the term again. That said, I wasn't even aware that the face buttons were analogue on the DS3, I never noted anything that used this. And PS3 was my first console since NES so I never even thought of them being anything but digital.

The top is for the Shoulder button which is obviously a digital contact. But the bottom isn't a digital contact. Looks like it could be a resistive or capacitive material. Now look at the 2nd picture the bottom contacting pin, it is cone shaped. This would result in more deformation of the material changing it's properties.

Last edited by TAZ427; 10-24-2013 at 17:49.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    When he said face buttons at the beginning, I think he meant Shoulder buttons. The triggers are still analogue. Then he used the term again. That said, I wasn't even aware that the face buttons were analogue on the DS3, I never noted anything that used this. And PS3 was my first console since NES so I never even thought of them being anything but digital.

The top is for the Shoulder button which is obviously a digital contact. But the bottom isn't a digital contact. Looks like it could be a resistive or capacitive material. Now look at the 2nd picture the bottom contacting pin, it is cone shaped. This would result in more deformation of the material changing it's properties.

Yep, both DS2 and DS3 had analog buttons and I think the d-pad was analog as well (might be wrong on that one), I didn't ever see the value in having the buttons being analog so I am kind of glad they ditched them in the DS4. Since they are digital buttons now that should decrease the amount of data getting sent to the console and hopefully it will show by having a better battery life when playing and maybe even a little better lag between the console & controller!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Yep, both DS2 and DS3 had analog buttons and I think the d-pad was analog as well (might be wrong on that one), I didn't ever see the value in having the buttons being analog so I am kind of glad they ditched them in the DS4. Since they are digital buttons now that should decrease the amount of data getting sent to the console and hopefully it will show by having a better battery life when playing and maybe even a little better lag between the console & controller!
    I went out and found some teardown images of DS3 and yeah, both D-pad and and X,O,[], ^ appear to be analogue. I'm kind of surprised I didn't know that.

Anyone know of any games that took advantage of this? I'm thinking of all the racing games and other games with misc. vehicles that I have on PS3 and it seems like they all used R2 for accelerator.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I went out and found some teardown images of DS3 and yeah, both D-pad and and X,O,[], ^ appear to be analogue. I'm kind of surprised I didn't know that.

Anyone know of any games that took advantage of this? I'm thinking of all the racing games and other games with misc. vehicles that I have on PS3 and it seems like they all used R2 for accelerator.
    The only game that I ever used them with were racing games, the first time I used it was with Gran Turismo 3 on the PS2, which the DS2 didn't have any triggers on it, so the analog buttons were awesome for using as a gas pedal, but once the DS3 came out with triggers the analog buttons became pointless.

PSU Live Streamer
    Did anyone that pre-ordered at gamestop or EB games get a call saying their DS4 is in and can be picked up? My buddy did.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Did anyone that pre-ordered at gamestop or EB games get a call saying their DS4 is in and can be picked up? My buddy did.
    I saw them on my local Game Stop stores shelves last night. Was stopping at my local Starbucks and had to poke my head in to see if they had any update on getting a PS4 Demo station.

No word on when they'll get one, but I'll be going to a Sony store on Saturday - with the non-gaming wife no-less. Dropping Son off for 3hrs of paintball/b-day party, it's close to the Galleria with the Sony store, which has a Cheesecake factory where we normally do a date around our Anniversary which was last Sunday.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    I haven't checked because if I know I do and they have it I will pick it up and tear into it, I want to unless all the PS4 goodness on Nov. 15th all at the same time!

Ack. I cringe every time I see someone do this. I would probably have parts left over afterwards.
    ~ Always be yourself. Unless you can be Batman, in that case always be Batman. ~

~ Microsoft and l had a disagreement on the primary function of the Xbox One. I wanted to use it to play games and they wanted to use it to screw me.~

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    And PS3 was my first console since NES so I never even thought of them being anything but digital.

On a side note, putting that thing back together is a pain. I tried to clean my white DS3 that I bought from Japan Video Games (it was before the DS3 was readily available in NA and I was impatient) and the controller came apart. I couldn't put that thing back together.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPhreak View Post

On a side note, putting that thing back together is a pain. I tried to clean my white DS3 that I bought from Japan Video Games (it was before the DS3 was readily available in NA and I was impatient) and the controller came apart. I couldn't put that thing back together.
    Same situation here, I still have a dis-mantled Sixaxis sitting in my office closet, damn triggers are a $#@! so I gave up!

PSN ID
    MiniMadness86
    Won't be long till eBay is flooded with rapid fire controllers to wreck all the online fps games :/

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    And people still think they removed sixaxis because "no one" used them yet the analog triggers are gone.......
    Why sony, Why?

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The sixaxis motion was actually used more than the analog buttons, yup

These days, face buttons are only used to change camera view or open an inventory menu

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    PhillyPhreak
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    And people still think they removed sixaxis because "no one" used them yet the analog triggers are gone.......
    Why sony, Why?
    The triggers are still analog. It's the face buttons that are now digital again.

"PS1994"- #4ThePlayers

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    Why sony, Why?
    Uhm.... Nope

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    vinny_pizza79
    I'm a big MLB The Show guy and they used the pressure sensitive analog face buttons for pitching and throwing in some settings. I assume other sports games had it as well to some degree, it'll be interesting to see how the developers of those games handle it. I liked changing speeds pitching using analog.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyPhreak View Post
    The triggers are still analog. It's the face buttons that are now digital again.
    lol. Thats what I meant

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadness86 View Post
    Won't be long till eBay is flooded with rapid fire controllers to wreck all the online fps games :/
    They have been around for more than 20 years and always will.
    The devs can code a maximum fire rate so when a controller like that is used it only fires at that max fire rate. the controller may be issuing 30 presses per second but the game has a max rate of 10 presses per second for example.

Counter strike and TF2 and even half life 2 have this (it might be coded intot he engine, not sure) so if a macro is used it doesn't give a huge advantage in fire rate.

Thread Information