Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Concerned about this "background music player", can I not play my own music in the background now?

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    That's what I want to know, Sony needs to be more clear on the music, because i don't why you couldn't play your own music

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    What about the gamers without the internet? They can't watch their movies? BS imo.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Concerned about this "background music player", can I not play my own music in the background now?
    You need Music Unlimited to play bgm

Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    What about the gamers without the internet? They can't watch their movies? BS imo.
    Adam Orth - deal with it

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    You need Music Unlimited to play bgm

Adam Orth - deal with it

Yeah and he got fired too lol.

PSN ID
    MiniMadness86
    In this day and age who hasn't got some form of internet???

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Your miss reading the notes, the patch is only needed to add support for Blu-Ray Live and other bits that make use of the internet, the system will still play Blu-Rays fine out of the box with no patch.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadness86 View Post
    People that don't live in big cities.

Quote Originally Posted by C.Birch View Post
    Your miss reading the notes, the patch is only needed to add support for Blu-Ray Live and other bits that make use of the internet, the system will still play Blu-Rays fine out of the box with no patch.
    Is that so?

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadness86 View Post
    When I upload data I have to use a carrier pigeon and a USB flash drive...

Just kidding! I have a 60Mbps/35Mbps connection! Trolololol!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Is that so?
    I'm sure i read somewhere that it's just for that, but it seems it's just how IGN worded their post about it that made it read that way sorry, i guess they started making the PS4 well before a fully ready Firmware was ready.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Also, the issue wasn't that a connection to the internet for activation was required. That is for the movie features, which are kind of useless without an internet connection anyway. Yes, this is the update but Sony has the policy with the PS3 that updates can be done offline, no reason they are suddenly going to stop that with the PS4.

This attempt to associate "day one connection required" as some general whining issue is really sour grapes about the XBone day one connection required. Completely different situations going on there, no association or connection between the PS4 and XBone on how the day one connection is being handled.
    It's basically the same thing. PS4, launch day update for firmware. Xbox One, launch day update for firmware. Not sure how that isn't the same. The grand scheme of it is due to manufacturing the system and software updates/completion. The firmware will be "completed" after millions of systems have already been ready to ship out.

“There was always going to be a day one update on the console, and that’s frankly just a difference in manufacturing schedules versus software schedules,” Whitten told IGN. “We just wanted to be clear that that hasn’t changed, that you have to go online to get the software update for day one, then you wouldn’t have to be connected after that.”
    PS4, no different regarding the firmware update.

OT:

Nice for Sony to get so much work done since they had already flashed an older firmware to the PS4 units.

12. Likes I_Luv_2_Game likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    Quote Originally Posted by Saigon View Post
    As I said on another board I am glad Sony announced this. This was needed. Though I am a little disappointing in some of the fan-base trying to downplay this update as an attempt to fix issues with the system or some stating that this should be part of the system day one. I guess most people don't realize most companies, especially for new products, have day one updates. Mainly because the software installed is always the base model or 1.0 version.
    It's good to read a comment without it being a complaint. Thank you.

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I have a 60Mbps/35Mbps connection! Trolololol!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Remote Play
    Users will be able to access PS4 titles displayed on their living room TVs and play them on a PS Vita system over Wi-Fi networks by using PS4 Link (Depending on network environment or titles, remote play performance may vary outside of the home). We anticipate that most PS4 titles will be playable on the PS Vita system through Remote Play. The latest PS Vita system software version, to be released soon, will be required to use PS4 Link.
    This is going to be big for me. I'll be playing FFXIV on the go and will have the DUST 514 app. The fact that most games will support this is amazing. Knowing that Vita was built by Cerny and was created more with the PS4 in mind than the PS3, I can't wait to see how the functionality grows.

Second Screen
    Users can use the PS4 Link application for the PS Vita system, and PlayStation App for iPhone, iPad, and Android-based smartphones and tablets, to use these devices as second screens in supported titles. PlayStation App has the ability to enable users to interact with games with their mobiles devices. For example on The Playroom, a title pre-installed in all PS4 systems that requires PlayStation Camera, users can draw pictures on their mobile device screens and flick them towards the TV. The images then appear as a 3D object within the game.
    This was a no brainer.

Record, take screenshots, and upload gameplay effortlessly
    The PS4 system provides dedicated, “always on” video encoding systems that enables seamless uploading of gameplay. Users can share their epic triumphs by simply hitting the Share button on DualShock 4, take screenshots or scan through the last 15 minutes of gameplay, tag it and return to the game—the video uploads as the user plays. At the PS4 system’s launch in North America, users will be able to share their images and videos with friends on Facebook and screenshots with followers on Twitter, though users will need to sign up for individual accounts to use Facebook and Twitter.
    This is amazing. That the 15 mins of game recording time isn't behind a paywall is awesome and inline with Sony's approach this gen. Yes you'll be paying for online, but you'll get loads of games with that...and if you don't want to pay, have free access to all of these features and F2P games. This will be great for PSU. We will be able to hold some really interesting competitions in the future using this feature.

Broadcast and spectate gameplay
    The PS4 system also enhances social spectating by enabling users to broadcast their gameplay in real-time to game fans around the globe, using Ustream and Twitch live internet streaming services (users will need to sign up for individual accounts to use Ustream and Twitch). There are two ways for users to view live broadcasts. First, the Live from PlayStation application on PS4 aggregates streams from all PlayStation users. Second, users can spectate friends’ PS4 gameplay from PCs, and applications such as Ustream, Twitch, and browsers, which are installed on their mobile devices. These applications can be easily started up via PlayStation App, and users can also use these applications to post comments to gameplay broadcasts. Furthermore, users with PlayStation Camera can stream camera images and microphone sounds along with their live gameplay broadcast.
    Another thing that will be great for PSU and the community.

Play as you download
    This feature enables users to play supported digital titles as they are being downloaded. The time it takes to begin playing will vary depending on game data size and network environments, and not all titles will support this feature When a game is purchased, users can start playing after PS4 downloads a portion of the data, while the rest of the game is downloaded in the background during actual gameplay. Games may be downloaded in stand-by mode.
    A nice QoL feature.

Multi log-in
    A maximum of four users can log-in to a single PS4 system simultaneously. These players can use their own save data to play games, and also earn trophies on their own Sony Entertainment Network accounts even when playing a multiplayer game together on a single PS4 system.
    This is the kind of functionality that last gen lacked but it's nice to finally see some decent advancements to how you connect with your ID to the network.

Party (Voice chat)
    By using the Mono Headset bundled with the PS4 system, users will be able to chat with up to eight friends enjoying different applications or games. Furthermore, users can use Party to chat between PS4 and PS Vita systems.

Face recognition and voice commands
    Users with PlayStation Camera will be able to register their facial image onto their PS4 system, and login to their system using facial recognition instead of DualShock 4. Furthermore, users can use either the microphone of the Mono Head set connected to DualShock 4, or PlayStation Camera to navigate through the PS4 home screen (PlayStation Dynamic Menu) with voice commands to start up games and shutdown the system, among other features; please refer to PS4’s online manual for recognizable voice commands.
    I agree with Blig, this is kind of a megaton for me, especially the bolded part. I will probably get a camera, so it's cool that I don't have to have the ear piece in. I mean I thought it was amazing that you can turn the PS3 on and off with the home button. I remember being all puppy eyed when I learned of this feature. This is even better.

Background music player
    Users can enjoy gameplay while listening to music in the background with Music Unlimited, a cloud-based digital music service. Users can also voice chat with friends while listening to music. Learn more about Music Unlimited here.
    I wish FFXIV used this. D514 does, other than that I don't need it.

Online Multiplayer
    PlayStation Plus members will be able to play PS4 titles online with other players via the network. PS Plus makes it easy for members to join available online multiplayer matches in a variety of ways, including the ability to easily join a game from a live stream broadcast or Party voice chats.

Blu-ray Disc and DVD player
    Users can enjoy not only gaming on their PS4 system, but also Blu-ray and DVD video contents. When using for the first time, users must connect to the internet to activate this feature.
    Wrapping it up. Sony has nailed it. Powerful tech, solid features, great cost proposition (free game recording, XGC, F2P, streaming aps etc) and line up of games and talented studios, cheaper; looks like a good position to be in.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    Yay, finally info on whats going to be live on launch day

Wonder how long until this goes viral. Sony went on record saying there was no need to connect to the internet.

I'd like to know where this manual is.
    And there still isn't. In order to use those features you must activate but you're activating those features, not the system.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Don't worry, I am still hell-a-jealous of people that have Google Fiber, they get 1Gbps speeds for super cheap! FiOS (which is what I have) goes up to 500Mbps now, but those fast speeds carry a big (kinda ass-rapey) price...I pay for 50/25 and I get 60/35 through speedtest.net, and mine is one of the smaller tiers they offer!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    ffs, I get 16/2. Unless I use LTE from my iPhone 5/5s lol. 50/10 then.

Forum Sage
    The firmware update being downloaded on the PS4 is the same as the day one patch Microsoft is releasing -- so we need to be connected in order to download. Although, I may have been corrected on this before (I forget), isn't the day one patch being released to fix the online DRM?

PSU Technical Advisor
    I have a question I want answered, and to me it's fairly important.

They don't seem to outline any other way to stream music except through their sub service "Music Unlimited". Does this mean we cannot stream music from our hard drives or computers while playing?

I will be very, very annoyed if this is true.

21. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post

They don't seem to outline any other way to stream music except through their sub service "Music Unlimited". Does this mean we cannot stream music from our hard drives or computers while playing?

That's correct I'm sure.. I believe Sony have said it before.. Not good in my opinion either.

Apprentice

Yeah, I just made a thread about this if they don't allow it that would truly suck. It was left out of the Ps3 and Sony supposedly said it was just leftover to game devs to implement it and now here we are with Ps4 screwed again...while X-Box is surely to have it.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    They'll probably patch it in...better start a tweeter movement

Last edited by YoungMullah88; 10-26-2013 at 01:40.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    The firmware update being downloaded on the PS4 is the same as the day one patch Microsoft is releasing -- so we need to be connected in order to download. Although, I may have been corrected on this before (I forget), isn't the day one patch being released to fix the online DRM?
    Well, they've never officially said what the update will change other than being the updated firmware/os. Speculation has been the basis of the patch removing the online requirements, drm, etc.

Here is what Marc Whitten said:
    "A day one system update for Xbox One has always been planned to accommodate the differences between hardware and software manufacturing schedules. This update is not tied directly to enabling offline functionality of Xbox One, but is required for the system to function both online and offline," said the spokesperson.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Well, they've never officially said what the update will change other than being the updated firmware/os. Speculation has been the basis of the patch removing the online requirements, drm, etc.

Here is what Marc Whitten said:
    Ah, I see. Thanks. That last statement seems a bit odd to me though....

"This update is not tied directly to enabling offline functionality of Xbox One, but is required for the system to function both online and offline..."

So, if I understand that right, they were going to have the update regardless of the reversal, but it is ALSO enabling online/offline functionality? In other words, it is fixing the DRM (removing the check.) I dunno, that's what I seem to get out of that.

Can we stream music to the PS3? You have to copy music to the HDD in order to play it, right?

Wait, are you talking about PS3 server or something like that? Those do allow streaming so I guess that is a good question; currently we can even use Windows Media Player to access content from our computer on the PS3.
    Last edited by sainraja; 10-26-2013 at 05:41.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    Ah, I see. Thanks. That last statement seems a bit odd to me though....

"This update is not tied directly to enabling offline functionality of Xbox One, but is required for the system to function both online and offline..."

So, if I understand that right, they were going to have the update regardless of the reversal, but it is ALSO enabling online/offline functionality? In other words, it is fixing the DRM (removing the check.) I dunno, that's what I seem to get out of that.

Can we stream music to the PS3? You have to copy music to the HDD in order to play it, right?

Wait, are you talking about PS3 server or something like that? Those do allow streaming so I guess that is a good question; currently we can even use Windows Media Player to access content from our computer on the PS3.
    He's talking about playing music that is copied/stored on your PS3 hard drive while playing a game. The way X-Box allows music played and blended over the games audio as well. Sony is pathetic if they're making you get Music Unlimited for this. I can't believe this crap if its true. I don't even listen to the mainstream jargon they'll have on that stupid store, want to play my OWN music is that too much to ask for?!?

28. Likes Mo-green28 likes this post

Thread Information