Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style

Playstation 4 and music

Am I the only disheartened to learn you can only stream music (as of now anyway) through music unlimited on PS4 while playing a game? I have a library of beast mode movement music for when I'm killing frauds in a shooting game, wrestling or Psycho Crushing their ass to the moon! Very upset to hear that my only work-around will be using that music unlimited nonsense. I didn't even dig it when I had a free trial many moons ago.

Besides, I want to listen to my own music that I'm pretty positive won't be available on the Music Unlimited jiffy unless it allows you to upload your music to their cloud or something? Even still I find paying $10 to do something that should be free absurd. Sony should mandate that all Developers install the option for custom music in their games. SNK-Playmore did it so effortlessly for KOF '13, I'm sure everyone else can follow suit. What say you, PSU?

$Greatness$ Awaits™

2. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I have my console/tv right next to my pc so i can just use my pc to play music while console gaming.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    I have my console/tv right next to my pc so i can just use my pc to play music while console gaming.
    I do as well, but I like hearing the effects when playing a fighting game for instance. When the music is in the background, it just sounds like an in-game track even though its not.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

5. Likes Ixion likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Georges_2251
    Items Final Fantasy Tactics
    If you have an iDevice and a computer with iTunes iRemote might be very handy
    Your sig is too friggin' big. Please change it. ~ PSU Staff

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    I can't be bordered when I'm busy listening for footsteps in a shooter lol. I can't remember the last time I played a game without a headset on, and those things don't get along with bgm (I turn them all off because I get severe migraines, especially with the pulse elite that thumps)

But yeah its a bummer that the only way to get universal bgm is through music unlimited

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    Am I the only disheartened to learn you can only stream music (as of now anyway) through music unlimited on PS4 while playing a game? I have a library of beast mode movement music for when I'm killing frauds in a shooting game, wrestling or Psycho Crushing their ass to the moon! Very upset to hear that my only work-around will be using that music unlimited nonsense. I didn't even dig it when I had a free trial many moons ago.

Besides, I want to listen to my own music that I'm pretty positive won't be available on the Music Unlimited jiffy unless it allows you to upload your music to their cloud or something? Even still I find paying $10 to do something that should be free absurd. Sony should mandate that all Developers install the option for custom music in their games. SNK-Playmore did it so effortlessly for KOF '13, I'm sure everyone else can follow suit. What say you, PSU?
    Hmm. They missed this function this gen (and last gen) as well.
    I do wonder, wasn't there some sort of patent thing MS had? I vaguely recall rumors of it years ago.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    So the PS4 doesn't play mp3 files?

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Lol it does, not just while you're gaming.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    only through music unlimited..... wow. so lame. wow. even if i could get Pandora or something to work in the browser during gameplay id be happy though.

I barely do it and mainly just for multiplayer games but it would be nice

Power Member
    Items User name style
    I used to do it a lot for driving games. But I don't do it much for other games.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Carla_Birch-USA
    Its not really shocking new news this, they said back at E3 this was happing.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    I can't be bordered when I'm busy listening for footsteps in a shooter lol. I can't remember the last time I played a game without a headset on, and those things don't get along with bgm (I turn them all off because I get severe migraines, especially with the pulse elite that thumps)

But yeah its a bummer that the only way to get universal bgm is through music unlimited

Well for me, when playing Call of Casual I really didn't need to hear footsteps. lol

Quote Originally Posted by C.Birch View Post
    Its not really shocking new news this, they said back at E3 this was happing.
    Didn't know this. I mean its cool to have SOMETHING, but wish it was just a normal thing like with the ole 360. And @ mynd, I think you're right about Microsoft having a patent. However, it can be done if Sony tells the Devs to add it because like I said, some games did have it on PS3.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    Well for me, when playing Call of Casual I really didn't need to hear footsteps. lol

Didn't know this. I mean its cool to have SOMETHING, but wish it was just a normal thing like with the ole 360. And @ mynd, I think you're right about Microsoft having a patent. However, it can be done if Sony tells the Devs to add it because like I said, some games did have it on PS3.
    Tru! That's one game I can play with the volume way down and still beast

Dedicated Member
    Does xbox one have local music streaming the same way the 360 had? Signing up for a lame music service to have this feature on ps4 sucks, but sony could add playing your own music on a game by game basis. This generation some ps3 games like wipeout hd had it. I like it most in racing games.

Apprentice

You're not the only one I'm not happy about it. Lets see if devs implement it last year there weren't many and this year will probably be no different.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rene2kx View Post
    Does xbox one have local music streaming the same way the 360 had? Signing up for a lame music service to have this feature on ps4 sucks, but sony could add playing your own music on a game by game basis. This generation some ps3 games like wipeout hd had it. I like it most in racing games.
    Ah yeah thats right, wipeout did have it. Maybe the music unlimited feature is a constant feature, and like you said Sony can let devs do what ever regarding in game streaming

Supreme Veteran
    How can they have a patent for playing music the same time as playing a game?

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    How can they have a patent for playing music the same time as playing a game?
    Found it!

http://www.ripten.com/2008/03/31/mic...m-soundtracks/

The US patent named “Method and Apparatus for Creating and Playing Soundtracks in a Gaming System” appears to cover any application that allows users to create soundtracks using their own audio tracks, such that they can be played during the execution of the game instead of the game’s default soundtrack.

Comprising of a thorough list of points and diagrams, the patents stand out claim is outlined thus:

1. A method comprising:

- receiving a request to launch a game in a gaming system;
    determining whether the game has a user-associated soundtrack;
    - if the game has a user-associated soundtrack:
    launching the game; and
    playing the user-associated soundtrack;

- if the game does not have a user-associated soundtrack:
    allowing a user of the gaming system to select a soundtrack to play while the game is executed; and
    playing a default soundtrack if the user of the gaming system does not select a soundtrack.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    Items User name style
    So the only way Sony can bypass it is by going through music unlimited? Or make it based on dev input

Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I guess its only to switch the default sound track off if the system detects a user song being played?
    Last edited by keefy; 10-26-2013 at 11:19.

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Completely and utterly ridiculous. The patent system should be used to protect methods of use, not ideas. As usual it's stifling progression, innovation, and consumer experience.

I don't understand how this holds up, though. The PC had this ability long before the Xbox 360 showed up. Does it mean that when I play music while gaming on my PC, I'm breaking a patent law? If it's not the case then can't Sony find a semantic-based workaround?
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

24. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Completely and utterly ridiculous. The patent system should be used to protect methods of use, not ideas. As usual it's stifling progression, innovation, and consumer experience.

I don't understand how this holds up, though. The PC had this ability long before the Xbox 360 showed up. Does it mean that when I play music while gaming on my PC, I'm breaking a patent law? If it's not the case then can't Sony find a semantic-based workaround?
    PC doesn't have this system either.
    If on PC and you launch a music track, then a video game, the OS doesn't auto mute the games music. Instead you have to mute the in game music yourself.
    Also if on Windows its moot since its an MS OS.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-26-2013 at 13:25.

Friendship is Carrots
    Exactly. It's separate applications. What's stopping Sony from doing something similar? You hit the PS button and the Dashboard/XMB pops up and you select the music you want.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Supreme Veteran
    I signed up for a free months trial of music unlimited, its got plenty of artists but the streams are low quality, sounds tinny an hissy.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Captncoke49
    I think the same rule that was applied to the ps3 will be there for the ps4 except with music unlimited. Devs will have the choice for custom soundtracks to allow mp3 files but music unlimited will be available for every game as a work around the ms patent. I could be very wrong and if so that would not be good at all.

Thread Information