Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Member

GTA V Wins *GOTY*

GTA V wins game of the year at Golden Joysticks Awards 2013

Rockstar’s blockbuster Grand Theft Auto V has walked off with the top award at the Golden Joysticks video game awards, with Call Of Duty and the creator of BioShock also being honoured.

A record-breaking 10 million people have voted in this year’s awards, with the winners being announced today at a gala event in London.

Unlike most award shows the winners are voted on only by the public, so there’s no surprise that it was GTA 5 which was named as game of the year, beating out stiff competition from The Last Of Us.

The PlayStation 3 exclusive was still able to secure a brace of awards though, being named as best newcomer and winning the award for best storytelling. Developer Naughty Dog also picked up studio of the year.

Action role-player The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt was the surprise winner in the most wanted category, beating out competition from not only fellow games such as Titanfall and Destiny but also the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 consoles themselves.

Other notable winners included Mark Of The Ninja as best indie game, and surprising wins for Payday 2 as best multiplayer and Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation as best handheld game.

One of only two categories not voted on by the public was the hall of fame award, which went to the 160 million-selling juggernaut Call Of Duty. The other was the new lifetime achievement award, which was presented to BioShock creator Ken Levine. BioShock Infinite also won the award for best visual design.

‘In most fields, people begin their careers being inspired by others. In turn, they hopefully end up inspiring others. The great thing about the still-maturing nature of video games is you get to be inspired by the work of novices and veterans alike,’ said Levine. ‘We’re all figuring out day by day exactly what the medium is capable of’.

‘This year’s Golden Joystick Awards have seen a record-breaking 10 million votes, proving that even after 31 years they’re still the awards that best represent the voice of gamers worldwide,’ said organiser and CVG editor Andy Robinson.

‘With revamped categories to reflect the diversity of modern gaming and the addition of the inaugural lifetime achievement award, which was deservedly presented to Ken Levine, one of the most interesting creators working in games, this year’s ceremony has been the most thrilling yet’.
    The full list of 2014 winners is as follows:

Best Newcomer
    The Last Of Us

Most Wanted in association with Playfire
    The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Best Indie Game
    Mark Of The Ninja

Best Visual Design
    BioShock Infinite

Best Multiplayer
    Payday 2

Best Gaming Moment in association with Absolute Radio
    Far Cry 3 – The Definition of Insanity

Studio of the Year in association with MPG Universal
    Naughty Dog

Innovation of the Year in association with T3
    Oculus Rift

Best Storytelling
    The Last Of Us

Best Online Game
    World Of Tanks

Best Handheld Game
    Assassin’s Creed III: Liberation

YouTube Gamer Award in association with YouTube
    Yogscast

Best Gaming Platform in association with Digital Spy
    Steam

Best Mobile/Tablet Game of the Year
    XCOM: Enemy Unknown

*Game of the Year*
    Grand Theft Auto V

Hall of Fame
    Activision: Call Of Duty

Lifetime Achievement
    Ken Levine

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    And rightfully so. Surpasses 6 world records, with one in 24 hours. GTA V cannot be touched. Now, their next challenge is surpassing GTA V with the next GTA.

Elite Member
    Pretty much was expecting it after it broke records an but I thought it was between LoU an GTA V, but LoU did scoop 2 awards an another for Naughty Dog so taken 3 is better than anything for them I suppose so close on missing out on GOTY that's if GTA V wasn't out in 2013.

@dre - I think the next GTA will be a hard one or even to reach the same expectations as GTA V has did only time will tell, if you look at it the only successful GTA game has been San Andreas on PS2 an yet to a point it broken that record again with GTA V set in San Andreas so its the place that makes the game be so successful. liberty city (IV) may have done well but never as well as SA combined.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Quote Originally Posted by nextgen3 View Post
    @dre - I think the next GTA will be a hard one or even to reach the same expectations as GTA V has did only time will tell, if you look at it the only successful GTA game has been San Andreas on PS2 an yet to a point it broken that record again with GTA V set in San Andreas so its the place that makes the game be so successful. liberty city (IV) may have done well but never as well as SA combined.
    No, GTA IV broke a lot of records at launch, it has probably sold more now than SA. It will be interesting if CoD: Ghosts could break it, it took over 2 weeks to get to a billion in revenue for other CoD's.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

5. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    No, GTA IV broke a lot of records at launch, it has probably sold more now than SA. It will be interesting if CoD: Ghosts could break it, it took over 2 weeks to get to a billion in revenue for other CoD's.
    I wasn't talking about launch I was talking about GTA set in SA that place been bigger than any other GTA in general, yes GTA broken a lot of records but it wasn't what I was trying to get across.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    I wasn't talking about launch I was talking about GTA set in SA that place been bigger than any other GTA in general, yes GTA broken a lot of records but it wasn't what I was trying to get across.
    Every GTA has been successful, not only San Andreas. You were talking about records and success. I think it's more to do with not being the first GTA in the generation, a lot of it was building the technology for IV. V is much better because of it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    No surprise at all at this result... I am looking forward to see if they can top this with DLC's down the line
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Every GTA has been successful, not only San Andreas. You were talking about records and success. I think it's more to do with not being the first GTA in the generation, a lot of it was building the technology for IV. V is much better because of it.
    Course every GTA has been successful but some of them did sell more than others! im not saying GTA isn't good or anything like that, yes it will continue to break records no doubt. but for me SA has always been the biggest seller not forgetting the previous games which have done well.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Course every GTA has been successful but some of them did sell more than others! im not saying GTA isn't good or anything like that, yes it will continue to break records no doubt. but for me SA has always been the biggest seller not forgetting the previous games which have done well.
    Biggest seller? As in the best? Otherwise every main GTA has sold more than the previous.

Friendship is Carrots
    I would have chosen either Bioshock Infinite or The Last of Us.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

12. Likes MW2-LgNd likes this post

Thread Information