Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah

So who's still standing strong with the all-digital "revolution"?

I'm still all in on the digital future. I already preordered BF3 and Killzone. I was hoping Fifa would be made available before the $10 deal is over.

Anyone know if and when they do allow for external hard drives in a future update, if we would (hypothetically) be able to run a game from there? (not sure if USB 3.0 is fast enough for that kind of data). At the very least I would use an external drive to store games so you don't have to redownload them if you choose to delete them.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    PSN games, all digital for me.

3. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Well its possible for me to do it since around 80% of the games im interested in are Indie titles but i dont know how many big titles i will want in the future so i cant risk that.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    I'm not. And if the future does indeed have it where everything is digital. We better have consoles with 500+ TB hdd's because 40+ gb games add up quick.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Digital isn't a bad thing. Steam has proven that it works. As an avid PC gamer, I can say I once wasn't too sure about it....but since about 4 years ago, I've really come around and have grown my catalogue to around 150+ games.

Theres nothing wrong with physical media either. Whateve works for you really. I just think they need bigger hard drives in consoles (even without having to upgrade on your own) before it can really take off though.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    Digital isn't a bad thing. Steam has proven that it works. As an avid PC gamer, I can say I once wasn't too sure about it....but since about 4 years ago, I've really come around and have grown my catalogue to around 150+ games.

Theres nothing wrong with physical media either. Whateve works for you really. I just think they need bigger hard drives in consoles (even without having to upgrade on your own) before it can really take off though.
    But there's something different for PCs. You can literally have 10TB+ of space if you have enough HDD bays but consoles are limited to their design. HDD space is a crippling factor.
    I was gonna go digital, but games are increasing in size and HDD space isn't that cheap for consoles
    I have have a steam library aswell but I feel its just easier for PCs to go digital than consoles

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Im also a PC gamer and the last physical game i bought for it was around 10 years ago but for PC the biggest file i had to download was maybe around 25gb. If launch games are around 50gb i dont see them getting any smaller.

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Not me, i'll wait for next next gen.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaGrandMastah View Post
    I'm still all in on the digital future. I already preordered BF3 and Killzone. I was hoping Fifa would be made available before the $10 deal is over.

Anyone know if and when they do allow for external hard drives in a future update, if we would (hypothetically) be able to run a game from there? (not sure if USB 3.0 is fast enough for that kind of data). At the very least I would use an external drive to store games so you don't have to redownload them if you choose to delete them.
    My hard drive's Magic 8 Ball points to NO!

11. Likes F34R likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    I like to keep a physical collection of home console games and handheld games.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 10-27-2013 at 04:00.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

13. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Never. I'll die with physical media!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    A disc technically isn't physical media but rather a digital storage medium.

It's really no different loading disc data or downloading data directly... Except digital downloading is in most cases faster to obtain a game and requires no changing of discs and loads faster.

Physical media is technically something like a vinyl record where every sound is made from a groove wave form... Same can't be said for digital discs.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Good question. I remember being here when most people complained about the digital revolution, but it seems that most have changed their tunes, even me. If the game is going down as a classic, I think I will buy it digitally. If it is something I am playing just to play, like Madden or some other sports game, then I will buy the disk. I think this generation I will buy more digital content than the last.

Ultimate Veteran
    There is a certain charm and benefit to owning a physical copy. You can admire the cover art, a possible lengthy and colorful manual, and share the game with a friend in person. It's also harder to lose, I think.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    There is a certain charm and benefit to owning a physical copy. You can admire the cover art, a possible lengthy and colorful manual, and share the game with a friend in person. It's also harder to lose, I think.
    Lol, like developers even bother anymore in standard game sku's.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post

Steam works cause you can get games 75% off on a regular basis, and there is also "Indie Bundles" out there that has games for 10% of the usual price. You cant say an all digital console would be the same way.

I have 500+ steam games, and I only paid more than 25% of the usual price on a handful of those.

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Steam works cause you can get games 75% off on a regular basis, and there is also "Indie Bundles" out there that has games for 10% of the usual price. You cant say an all digital console would be the same way.

I have 500+ steam games, and I only paid more than 25% of the usual price on a handful of those.
    I never said it would work the same on consoles....I'm just saying that it does in fact work.

Steam works for other reasons as well...not just sales. Many ppl have internet fast enough to download a 20GB game in like and hour and a half and would rather do that and eat and do laundry while they wait for the download....than drive to a store pick up the game and drive back...or do like I do download the game overnight while I'm asleep.

Just fyi for those saying "That sucks....you have to wait to download the game when it's released???" No, usually you download the game before hand and when it's released you get to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    It's harder to lose a digital game rather than a physical copy?

PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    Looks like a couple of us are still on board. I'm really hoping they add external hd support soon. Even if we can't actually play the game off of the hard drive, at the very least we can transfer over the 50 gb game we have stored over usb 3.0.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    A disc technically isn't physical media but rather a digital storage medium.

It's really no different loading disc data or downloading data directly... Except digital downloading is in most cases faster to obtain a game and requires no changing of discs and loads faster.

Physical media is technically something like a vinyl record where every sound is made from a groove wave form... Same can't be said for digital discs.
    Digital Media - Unsaleable
    Physical disc Media - Saleable
    Digital Media - Takes a year to download (For me personally) and a $#@! and a half if the servers are wonky on their end as well
    Physical Media - Put in disc, play game

Oh, and by the way... I get a snazzy box with my disc!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

23. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post

Playstation plus.

I have read lots of peoples comments praising it saying such things as "I got 200 bux worth of free game with plus." Those games are all digital.

Console gamers are kicking up the fuss PC gamer had when xbox 360 and PS3 were new, back then internet speeds were less than one tenth what they are today.
    Last edited by keefy; 10-27-2013 at 08:17.

Apprentice
    The main reason I'm going digital is the Vita remote play feature. Having access to a number of titles anywhere in the world is going to be worth the hassle of downloading.

"I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly."

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    I'd like to go digital but I'm still undecided

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Superior Member

I'll stay with the physical choices as long as I can. The moment that's no longer an option, is the moment only buy at heavily discounted prices. If I can't sell/give the game away to a friend once I'm done with it, then the game holds less value to me, but that's only a small issue.

I had an issue, twice (two different games and accounts) with steam where I purchased a game that absolutely wouldn't run, even though my PC specs were well above recommended specs, and the Demos for those games worked fine. After about two months going back and forth with steam support and the developers support ending in the game(s) still not working, I tried to get a refund, and I was denied, so I called my credit card company, disputed the charges which had them stripped from my bill, those accounts were locked (which would have caused me to lose other games on those accounts if I had any) and got a letter that everything was settled, and I was back to where I was pre-purchase, just a few months older, and time I will never get back.

Digital also doesn't favor the consumer when the game is misrepresented in ads/reviews, such as the case with Payday. A simple Demo for every game before release would solve this issue. Payday was incredibly shallow, horrible controls, especially with regards with aiming, and I would have bought it if not my friend purchasing it through steam first, and allowing me to play it.

I live real close to a Best Buy and a Gamestop, Physical copies all the way. (and the same now goes for my buddy)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Nope. I'm taking advantage of physical media while I still can.

And how is this a "revolution"?
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

29. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Superior Member
    My experience going digital on the PS3 has been pretty bad compared to what I'm used to with Steam, so I might stick with physical on the new consoles until their backend matures. In terms of digital distribution, the consoles' infrastructure seems really far behind, and has just been, overall, a headache to deal with. And I'm on a 150/65 FIOS line. I can't imagine it being even usable for most people.
    i7 4770 | 2x EVGA GTX 780 ti SC ACX SLI | 32GB
    i7 3770 | EVGA SC GTX 580 3GB​ | 16GB

Thread Information