Latest PSU headlines:

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    dannycorker

PS4 Hands-On Impressions

Got a very brief opportunity to try out the PS4 today - only 15 minutes in a GAME store at the Trafford Centre but still was a nice opportunity.

First note, what on earth are Sony thinking with the games available on this scheme? There's FIFA 14, Knack, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Super Mother Load, Pinball Arcade and Contrast. Now the indie games are great and all, but for the casual observer its not going to really wow people - all the staff mentioned that the forthcoming XB1 demo had Assassin's Creed, COD, Battlefield etc - Sony really needed some of these titles, or at least Killzone! They did however note that in store they'd had 900 XB1 pre orders and 1400 PS4 - not sure how indicative that will be of the rest of the country!

Now for the console - my main impressions were of the controller tbh - FIFA isn't the greatest game to showcase the console, although I did get 5 mins on Knack also. The controller was every bit as good as most previews have mentioned, it sits in the palms of your hand much nicer than the DS3 did - quite hard to describe/explain, but I agreed with all the hands-on reviews I've read so far in terms of the feel of it. Triggers feel great, no chance of fingers slipping off of them, same with the analog sticks. Very excited about the controller.

I also saw the camera, again retreading old ground but wow is it small!

As for the games, I only got a brief play on Knack but I did enjoy it. I can't help but feel they should have priced it below the rest of the lineup, say 29.99, it just doesn't feel like a big AAA game to me - its good fun, but everything I did consisted of jumping and hitting attack. I hope there's much more variety in the full game, because it would get old quick. It didn't convince me to grab it for launch, but I hope to get it in a few months once the price drops a bit. FIFA was FIFA really - it did look like a big step up from the PS3 version which was nice to see, and the realistic crowd is great. There's a lot more weight to the players and a very noticeable increase in animations which is nice to see - I just wish I could have played Killzone or Battlefield, something to really showcase the console. I'm sure Driveclub was supposed to be part of this tour, its a shame they haven't managed to replace it.

So there we go - I was never going to cancel my pre-order of course but its nice to have my hopes realised for the controller. I had no chance to play with the OS which was a shame, we were locked into a kind of reel of the playable titles. If I'd had a bit longer I would have given the indie titles a go, but I guess we need to save something for launch day The console itself is looking great, although the shinier segment of it is going to be a real fingerprint magnet as any original PS3 owners will know....one of the Sony reps made a point about the shape of the console preventing people from shoving it against a wall and completely blocking the vents which I hadn't thought about before. Nice touch if true, may stop a few consoles from failing. Any questions feel free to ask, don't think I'll be much use though as I'm sure a few people on here have had a play by now!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    BilLCollecTTor
    Quote Originally Posted by dannycorkers View Post
    Got a very brief opportunity to try out the PS4 today - only 15 minutes in a GAME store at the Trafford Centre but still was a nice opportunity.

First note, what on earth are Sony thinking with the games available on this scheme? There's FIFA 14, Knack, Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Super Mother Load, Pinball Arcade and Contrast. Now the indie games are great and all, but for the casual observer its not going to really wow people - all the staff mentioned that the forthcoming XB1 demo had Assassin's Creed, COD, Battlefield etc - Sony really needed some of these titles, or at least Killzone! They did however note that in store they'd had 900 XB1 pre orders and 1400 PS4 - not sure how indicative that will be of the rest of the country!

Now for the console - my main impressions were of the controller tbh - FIFA isn't the greatest game to showcase the console, although I did get 5 mins on Knack also. The controller was every bit as good as most previews have mentioned, it sits in the palms of your hand much nicer than the DS3 did - quite hard to describe/explain, but I agreed with all the hands-on reviews I've read so far in terms of the feel of it. Triggers feel great, no chance of fingers slipping off of them, same with the analog sticks. Very excited about the controller.

I also saw the camera, again retreading old ground but wow is it small!

As for the games, I only got a brief play on Knack but I did enjoy it. I can't help but feel they should have priced it below the rest of the lineup, say 29.99, it just doesn't feel like a big AAA game to me - its good fun, but everything I did consisted of jumping and hitting attack. I hope there's much more variety in the full game, because it would get old quick. It didn't convince me to grab it for launch, but I hope to get it in a few months once the price drops a bit. FIFA was FIFA really - it did look like a big step up from the PS3 version which was nice to see, and the realistic crowd is great. There's a lot more weight to the players and a very noticeable increase in animations which is nice to see - I just wish I could have played Killzone or Battlefield, something to really showcase the console. I'm sure Driveclub was supposed to be part of this tour, its a shame they haven't managed to replace it.

So there we go - I was never going to cancel my pre-order of course but its nice to have my hopes realised for the controller. I had no chance to play with the OS which was a shame, we were locked into a kind of reel of the playable titles. If I'd had a bit longer I would have given the indie titles a go, but I guess we need to save something for launch day The console itself is looking great, although the shinier segment of it is going to be a real fingerprint magnet as any original PS3 owners will know....one of the Sony reps made a point about the shape of the console preventing people from shoving it against a wall and completely blocking the vents which I hadn't thought about before. Nice touch if true, may stop a few consoles from failing. Any questions feel free to ask, don't think I'll be much use though as I'm sure a few people on here have had a play by now!
    The casual aren't looking to play Killzone. Casual look for indie type games because they don't play to long. Casuals look simple and easy to play. If that's the case then Nintendo wouldn't have any sells. Knack is a kind of game that would appeal to the casuals. As far as AAA games we rarely see those kind of games at launch. Day one buyers do not buy console for AAA launch games. As history have shown.

Apprentice

Nice thanks for the review so were you playing demos or were they the actual downloaded games? I can not wait getting 2k and KZ want to try some of these others games first though

PSN ID
    MiniMadness86
    Sounds like the game lock in I was gonna go to Trafford one but put name down for lord street but u kinda put me off now as don't like football and kids games :/

PSN ID
    heaveno2
    Wow! Thank you for the review. Can't wait to play it myself.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    Seriously disappointing line up on that demo. They need kz and cod and maybe even drive club even though it's not quite done yet
    Last edited by on the rocks; 10-28-2013 at 00:51.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Nice hands on impression.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    I was going to go to the one in Bristol on the 23rd but decided against it so that I had a surprise for when it comes through the post. Simply put I want that same feeling I had when I imported the PS3 from Japan and it was just "WOW" on first impressions.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    dannycorker
    Quote Originally Posted by I_Luv_2_Game View Post
    The casual aren't looking to play Killzone. Casual look for indie type games because they don't play to long. Casuals look simple and easy to play. If that's the case then Nintendo wouldn't have any sells. Knack is a kind of game that would appeal to the casuals. As far as AAA games we rarely see those kind of games at launch. Day one buyers do not buy console for AAA launch games. As history have shown.
    Whilst I understand your point, in this case I disagree. You had to book in advance for this event, and everyone playing had certainly pre-ordered. The people in the shop however could just see the games, and something really graphically spectacular would have been a good idea IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by vnmus View Post
    Nice thanks for the review so were you playing demos or were they the actual downloaded games? I can not wait getting 2k and KZ want to try some of these others games first though
    Just demos, obviously I didn't get to play long so no idea how long Knack would have gone on for example.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniMadness86 View Post
    Sounds like the game lock in I was gonna go to Trafford one but put name down for lord street but u kinda put me off now as don't like football and kids games :/
    I'd still go if you can, just to try the controller if nothing else. And the indie games will be worth a look if FIFA and Knack aren't to your taste.

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    I was going to go to the one in Bristol on the 23rd but decided against it so that I had a surprise for when it comes through the post. Simply put I want that same feeling I had when I imported the PS3 from Japan and it was just "WOW" on first impressions.
    I know what you mean, and I did wrestle with that....turns out patience is not a virtue of mine....

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Is this permanently at the trafford centre or a temp "travelling" set up?

I'm due to visit TC next week, Might pop down to GAME before catching a movie at the Odeon.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    dannycorker
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    Is this permanently at the trafford centre or a temp "travelling" set up?

I'm due to visit TC next week, Might pop down to GAME before catching a movie at the Odeon.
    Was just tonight I'm afraid, its touring around the country - you can see if there's one coming up near you here though - http://instore.game.co.uk/game-lock-ins/

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by dannycorkers View Post
    all the staff mentioned that the forthcoming XB1 demo had Assassin's Creed, COD, Battlefield etc - Sony really needed some of these titles, or at least Killzone!
    These console kiosks are updated all through the launch window, which usually includes the whole holiday season. There are XBone kiosks in Best Buy in Canada all they have is Forza and Killer Instinct. There are a lot of people on neogaf saying they walked away unimpressed and many felt the controller was worse, something about the trigger buttons. None of the titles you say the staff mentioned "coming soon" have been seen on XBone debug units yet by journalists, so these kiosk demos will be the first time they will be seen in the wild running on demo units. No doubt, Sony will also have kiosk demos of those multi-plats when the pub decides they are ready to be put on demo kiosks. As long as the selection of titles is increased right at launch and through the launch window, that is what is important.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    great review

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    That's why I'm not even considering the PS3 versions of BF4 or AC Black Flag, even though US$10 isn't exactly a fortune to get digital copies of the PS4 versions on launch day. Sure I'd just as soon save the 20 bucks, but if I start playing either of them on PS3 I'll lose the wow factor of playing them for the first time all shiny and shimmering on a PS4. Or XOne for that matter but the upgrade plans for XOne are a bit more complicated and involve going to the store and turning in the current gen retail boxed version. Charge me a fee on top of current gen, give me a next gen boxed copy and then take my current gen game and sell it as used for even more revenue. Sneaky smart but no deal for me.

PSN ID
    Raginclimax
    I also went to a GAME Lockin. I was also shocked by how small the PS Camera is. I had been previously shock about 5 days before the lockin by how small the PS4 actually is. I found the controller felt great but frustrating to hold in the harnesses. I played FIFA 14, not really a fan of FIFA games as i prefer PRO EVO SOCCER.....but FIFA looked amazing and due to the new ignite engine the game plays a lot better IMO. i've never liked the ball physics on FIFA games but this Next Gen iteration could persuade me to play FIFA 14 for at least the next 12 months (until Konami release PES 2015). I did find that while playing FIFA 14 that my thumb was still slipping off the analogue stick, but i put this down to the fact that i wasn't in the most comfortable or natural of positions holding the pad.

I also had a brief go on Knack. i expected an easy kiddy game. It is nothing like that. The controls are simple enough but without having the time to master the timing and moves etc it was definitely harder than i thought it would be. although i was rushing as i felt i had been on the PS4 long enough and people were waiting behind me to get their hands on it.

Overall the event just made me consider robbing the Sony Rep who brought down the 6 PS4 Kiosks

#Greatness Awaits
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PSN iD: Raginclimax
    Console Portfolio:
    PS3 Slim
    PS Vita
    PS4 (Paid for, Awaiting arrival)

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Allen View Post
    I also went to a GAME Lockin. I was also shocked by how small the PS Camera is. I had been previously shock about 5 days before the lockin by how small the PS4 actually is. I found the controller felt great but frustrating to hold in the harnesses. I played FIFA 14, not really a fan of FIFA games as i prefer PRO EVO SOCCER.....but FIFA looked amazing and due to the new ignite engine the game plays a lot better IMO. i've never liked the ball physics on FIFA games but this Next Gen iteration could persuade me to play FIFA 14 for at least the next 12 months (until Konami release PES 2015). I did find that while playing FIFA 14 that my thumb was still slipping off the analogue stick, but i put this down to the fact that i wasn't in the most comfortable or natural of positions holding the pad.

I also had a brief go on Knack. i expected an easy kiddy game. It is nothing like that. The controls are simple enough but without having the time to master the timing and moves etc it was definitely harder than i thought it would be. although i was rushing as i felt i had been on the PS4 long enough and people were waiting behind me to get their hands on it.

Overall the event just made me consider robbing the Sony Rep who brought down the 6 PS4 Kiosks
    Glad FIFA 14 looks good as it's one of my ordered games, nice short writeup!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Knack definitely needs a bit more depth, in terms of the moves you can perform. The special power moves are really the only thing that gave some variety. Picking up parts that support a certain element is cool, but they basically limit you in the demo to whatever type of stage you are on. It is way more difficult than, I think, people expect though. They make sure that you have to master the controls (especially that right stick dodge) in order to come out clean. The bad guys are well placed lol, to say the least. And the more epic scale battles where you are as a big as skyscraper make for fun non-QTE set pieces. The laser stealth board was the most fun, to me. But, was also not really mentally challenging. It doesn't require too much thought lol, the lasers just LOOK like they're a problem. Graphics are super crisp, in comparison to PS3. Especially when he's in his clear-ish stealth mood and all the lighting and such is bouncing around him.

Contrast was interesting. Almost seems like a big time platformer, as opposed to an indie. Wasn't really enough to keep my attention though. The shadow switching is clever. I just think Kill Zone should have been included. Octodad had people laughing out loud playing next to me, I didn't try it.

I was busy trying to exit the games and see if I could jump onto PSN lol.. unfortunately PSN/PS+ was just a placeholder.. you could only press "view image"... same for selecting Kill Zone. The dash is slick though.

Thread Information