Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 ... LastLast
    Administrator
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    That's fine. We don't agree often, but I agree with you on this. I'd even go so far to say blu-ray will be the last physical format for games and movies. Eventually it phase out just like VHS and DD/streaming will take over.
    I doubt Blu-ray will be going anywhere anytime soon unless everyone gets Google Fiber speeds. Some of my Blu-ray movies... just the raw movie files... are over 40 GB in size. When we can comfortably stream such gigantic file sizes, then I can see physical formats dying off. But now there are 100+ GB 4K HD Blu-ray movies coming out as well. And currently, the "1080p" movies that can currently be streamed look like complete garbage compared to their Blu-ray counterpart.

2. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    That's fine. We don't agree often, but I agree with you on this. I'd even go so far to say blu-ray will be the last physical format for games and movies. Eventually it phase out just like VHS and DD/streaming will take over.
    That is going to a sad day.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

4. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    DD is still a LONG way off, alot of people dont have internet, dont have good internet, or has a bandwidth cap.

The only reason Steam is popular is cause of the massive sales, and a vast majority of the games are no bigger than 5 GB so it works.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Preorders:
    DyingLightOrder1886Witcher3Batman:AKUncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    That is going to a sad day.
    yeah, it is. I don't relish the idea, but the writing is on the wall, imo.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    In a way I would almost like to see MS fail. With them out of the way Sony would have no competition and then we'll see their real colors.

They're only playing nice with gamers because they have no choice.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    No competition equals a fail. You know that right? A fail for consumers like you and i.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I doubt that. The majority of most discussions leads to it. It's all over the web.

I agree. They both have the same goal, and that's to get their product into people's homes.
    The bigger goal is money.

At least you know what MS's face looks like. Sony hides their ugly face behind a mask so your fooled until they show their true self.

I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    No competition equals a fail. You know that right? A fail for consumers like you and i.
    Exactly. Which is why I don't get people gushing over Sony. Take away the competition and their as bad as MS is. I just want the fanboys around here to see it first hand.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    PS5 will be DD only, with drm up the wazoo. mark my words.
    I don't think it's fair to mark someone a "denier" simply because they believe it won't be so that way.

Personally, I think DD will be the focus, and the DRM will (or rather, SHOULD) be more or less what it is now - i.e. not what MS thought it should be.

As for it being solely DRM? Don't think so. But that doesn't make me a "denier" does it? You make it sound like some sort of heretic...

Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    I doubt Blu-ray will be going anywhere anytime soon unless everyone gets Google Fiber speeds. Some of my Blu-ray movies... just the raw movie files... are over 40 GB in size. When we can comfortably stream such gigantic file sizes, then I can see physical formats dying off. But now there are 100+ GB 4K HD Blu-ray movies coming out as well. And currently, the "1080p" movies that can currently be streamed look like complete garbage compared to their Blu-ray counterpart.
    Yeah pretty much. This is my only concern.

If we're all more or less equipped for it, then yeah why not have DD.

To me it's mainly internet speed + bandwidth = DRM NOT being the MS way. Otherwise yeah I'm fine.

But yeah a lot of people likely will not be. Which would suck.
    Last edited by Admartian; 10-29-2013 at 21:53.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    I don't think it's fair to mark someone a "denier" simply because they believe it won't be so that way. Personally, I think DD will be the focus, and the DRM will (or rather, SHOULD) be more or less what it is now - i.e. not what MS thought it should be. As for it being solely DRM? Don't think so. But that doesn't make me a "denier" does it? You make it sound like some sort of heretic... Yeah pretty much. This is my only concern. If we're all more or less equipped for it, then yeah why not have DD. To me it's mainly internet speed + bandwidth = DRM NOT being the MS way. Otherwise yeah I'm fine. But yeah a lot of people likely will not be. Which would suck.
    Why you denier you!! Lmao.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    The bigger goal is money.

At least you know what MS's face looks like. Sony hides their ugly face behind a mask so your fooled until they show their true self.

What's all this about faces and masks? How is Sony hiding their face? Not following you, dude.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    What's all this about faces and masks? How is Sony hiding their face? Not following you, dude.
    Not following either. What are they hiding? You can't exactly say they are or aren't - nor is it fair to speculate that they are based on that.

By that logic we can say any company is hiding something then.

And conversely, one (or a company) can still be hiding something, just because "you know what their face looks like".

Come on people, we're getting a bit carried away with all the rhetoric here - it'll just end up in a tail-chase.
    Last edited by Admartian; 10-29-2013 at 22:04.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVOa3xhl0bg

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    Exactly. Which is why I don't get people gushing over Sony. Take away the competition and their as bad as MS is. I just want the fanboys around here to see it first hand.

Each to their own. The fanboyism won't stop, but ya know...appearences are deceptive. Sony look good right now, but thats partially because MS look quite $#@! atm...

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    Each to their own. The fanboyism won't stop, but ya know...appearences are deceptive. Sony look good right now, but thats partially because MS look quite $#@! atm...
    I dunno, I look at the supposed disaster and realized, hey this XBO actually can play games.

That said, price is all important, and at the end of the day, the XBO would be an attractable system if it where slightly cheaper then the PS4 offering. It clearly can play games, and priced at the right price point people would buy it regardless of the power. But it isnt, and probably wont, which makes it totally undesirable to me at least.

17. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yeah we had a Sony dominated generation with the PS2 and that was my favorite generation of gaming. Of course for the record I'm not claiming any corporation is a saint including Sony. But the Sony hiding ugly faces behind masks and all that does seem a little over the top. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I dunno, I look at the supposed disaster and realized, hey this XBO actually can play games. That said, price is all important, and at the end of the day, the XBO would be an attractable system if it where slightly cheaper then the PS4 offering. It clearly can play games, and priced at the right price point people would buy it regardless of the power. But it isnt, and probably wont, which makes it totally undesirable to me at least.
    Pretty accurate summary there. Sony and MS seem to be going for different audiences anyway. Both will succeed with their respective target demographic imo.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-29-2013 at 22:34.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    You think this only happens in the video game market? Lol. This happens in many consumer goods markets.

Here's the key. Don't be an early adopter. Wait 6-8 months for bugs to be worked out. The games aren't going anywhere. You can still buy them next year. In fact you'll danger a few bucks on the games.

Everyone is acting like the world will end of everything doesn't work 100% perfect on day one. Guess what. The One AND PS4 ate going to have hiccups out of the box. With everything that these consoles can do it's bound to happen.

Me being an early adopter shouldn't punish me for wanting a working product at launch. When I first bought my PS2, I didn't have to wait for a patch to fix something. The $#@! worked right out of the box. Games were on point and online mode in its infancy was OK as well. In today's gaming market bugs/glitches/and rush product are the norm and are accepted as the gospel by the gaming community for whatever and I don't understand that.

Just look at the GTA V release with online. You know this game is going to bring millions if not billions of people together online, why are there not enough servers to handle such a load? You have your forecast for how money you're going to make, where is that $#@!ing forecast about how many players you're going to have online? I'm sorry that I feel that these companies should be held to a higher form of accountability. The world won't end, no, but when no effort is put forth I find a problem with that. And me not buying it won't help, this is a multi-billion dollar industry. I can only spread the word of my frustration. But that's just my opinion of course.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Superior Member
    It means that MS is an Ogre that looks and acts like an Ogre and doesn't hide the fact that it's an Ogre. Sony is an Ogre that happens to be hiding from it's past transgressions and is acting like an angel while hiding it's Ogre appearance. A labored metaphor for sure but you get the point.

(If you have to ask what past transgressions, don't bother. If you don't need to ask then you already know the answer).

Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    Me being an early adopter shouldn't punish me for wanting a working product at launch. When I first bought my PS2, I didn't have to wait for a patch to fix something. The $#@! worked right out of the box. Games were on point and online mode in its infancy was OK as well. In today's gaming market bugs/glitches/and rush product are the norm and are accepted as the gospel by the gaming community for whatever and I don't understand that.

Just look at the GTA V release with online. You know this game is going to bring millions if not billions of people together online, why are there not enough servers to handle such a load? You have your forecast for how money you're going to make, where is that $#@!ing forecast about how many players you're going to have online? I'm sorry that I feel that these companies should be held to a higher form of accountability. The world won't end, no, but when no effort is put forth I find a problem with that. And me not buying it won't help, this is a multi-billion dollar industry. I can only spread the word of my frustration. But that's just my opinion of course.
    You're entitled to that opinion. One owners are fully aware of what they are getting and that is a choice that they make as well.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    It means that MS is an Ogre that looks and acts like an Ogre and doesn't hide the fact that it's an Ogre. Sony is an Ogre that happens to be hiding from it's past transgressions and is acting like an angel while hiding it's Ogre appearance. A labored metaphor for sure but you get the point.
    Like I said, how do we know they're hiding anything?

And conversely, how are they "Acting like an angel"? All this "good guy" labels are coming from the press and gamers alike.

Not Sony.

And actually "delivering" on things like no DRM etc, isn't a façade if that's exactly what they'll be delivering on. I can't 100% guarantee what they, MS, or your dog will do in the end - but at the same time and using that very same disclaimer, we can't use it to demonise either.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Pretty accurate summary there. Sony and MS seem to be going for different audiences anyway. Both will succeed with their respective target demographic imo.
    I don't see how they are going for different audiences when you look at the similarities in their platforms. They are more alike than different. They both want the same audience but are using slightly different strategies to get them.

IRONRANGER6 Tapatalk

Master Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Well, apparently you have 2 deniers in this thread. See above and below.
    Make it 3.
    My case, music CD's.
    CD's still sell, they are the easiest thing to get online, they are the tiniest of files and can be gained in under 2 minutes, yet CD's are still selling in stores.

Now compare a 4-5mb file to something that is 50GB+ maybe even 100GB+ by the time PS5 rolls around.
    Even if people are ready to download 4-5mb files in the next few years it will be many many many years before they are ready for 50GB.

Probably won't happen in our lifetime unless some new tech is rolled out on a global scale, the only company today that can possibly do that is Google. But even then the chances in our lifetime are slim.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Make it 3.
    My case, music CD's.
    CD's still sell, they are the easiest thing to get online, they are the tiniest of files and can be gained in under 2 minutes, yet CD's are still selling in stores.

Now compare a 4-5mb file to something that is 50GB+ maybe even 100GB+ by the time PS5 rolls around.
    Even if people are ready to download 4-5mb files in the next few years it will be many many many years before they are ready for 50GB.

Probably won't happen in our lifetime unless some new tech is rolled out on a global scale, the only company today that can possibly do that is Google. But even then the chances in our lifetime are slim.
    CDs still sell but have been losing to digital for years now. Even automobiles are leaning digital.

IRONRANGER6 Tapatalk

He's saying that sony isn't being as revealing as everyone thinks. He has a point when you look at some of the things they've done in the past. You can't really blame them for capitalizing on MS pr disaster though. Anyone competitor would of probably done the same.

IRONRANGER6 Tapatalk
    Last edited by Itachi; 10-30-2013 at 05:00.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    CDs still sell but have been losing to digital for years now. Even automobiles are leaning digital.

IRONRANGER6 Tapatalk

He's saying that sony isn't being as revealing as everyone thinks. He has a point when you look at some of the things they've done in the past. You can't really blame them for capitalizing on MS pr disaster though. Anyone competitor would of probably done the same.

IRONRANGER6 Tapatalk
    Again, what is this perceived thing(s) that they're apparently hiding?

Master Sage
    Leaning digital is still a long ways off from going fully digital and that is just for small files.
    It shows you how far back the real society actually is compared to how others perceive it.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitbydeath View Post
    Leaning digital is still a long ways off from going fully digital and that is just for small files.
    It shows you how far back the real society actually is compared to how others perceive it.
    Agreed.

I don't think the majority are against it (DD) either. It's just having the infrastructure and capability to do so. And restrictions such as DRM can't be (totally) anti-consumer either.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I don't see how they are going for different audiences when you look at the similarities in their platforms. They are more alike than different. They both want the same audience but are using slightly different strategies to get them. IRONRANGER6 Tapatalk
    The Xbone reveal showed who their primary target audience is and it isnt core gamers. Old Man Gamer has explained it many times in this section (as I have) and he explained it best. Anyway, I dont feel like explaining it over and over anymore. And you just dont want to hear that anyway. lol
    Last edited by mistercrow; 10-30-2013 at 06:24.

Thread Information