Elite Member

Physical and digital how do they really stack up?

There has been a lot of debate/discussions over whether to go digital or physical for this console generation. With the implementation of Playstation Plus' free game downloads and discounts how many games have you purchased over the year? Also if you did have a 500gb hdd and games like KZ:SF are 50gbs do you purchase more than 10 full games a year full being non psn specific games.
    Last edited by hood; 10-28-2013 at 15:14.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    To be honest with the internet connection like it is in my area I shall be buying physical copies of games for the minute! I love the idea of being able to download all games but I would be waiting a week before it had finished downloading. Hopefully it won't be too long before fiber optic broadband will be in my area but until then I shall just carry on ordering them from Amazon!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

I think it depends on how much you have to install from the disk, if its only a third or half of the digital download then its Ok and better, but if you have to install all data then its quite the same...
    I will stay with physical content because i like to have the game in my hand and on the shelf and maybe share the game with friends.

Elite Member
    yes it does but how many games do you typically buy or have brought this year? I consider myself a hardcore gamer but I don't really buy games that often. I could see myself buying 10 games in a year but the rate that i would be buying these games would be infrequent I'd buy a game finish it then buy all the DLC that comes with the game and play it over.
    Last edited by hood; 10-28-2013 at 15:35.
    "I think all those developers who are saying, "We donít want to do a PS3 game," or "Itís really difficult to do it," should shut up and make their games. If you have time to complain about it, then you should be spending your time working on getting the most from the hardware."

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I am still on the fence about going one way or the other, one part me wants to go all digital because I see myself using the hell out of spectate feature (and I don't want to constantly get up just to switch between games) and I am more likely to play various games if they are installed digitally, but on the other hand I am worried that launch day congestion along with not having a physical copy in my hands is making me want to buy the disc instead...I thought I would of had this all ironed out at this point, but I am still torn between the two!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I am still on the fence about going one way or the other, one part me wants to go all digital because I see myself using the hell out of spectate feature (and I don't want to constantly get up just to switch between games) and I am more likely to play various games if they are installed digitally, but on the other hand I am worried that launch day congestion along with not having a physical copy in my hands is making me want to buy the disc instead...I thought I would of had this all ironed out at this point, but I am still torn between the two!
    What I like about the digital downloads is that the game is always there if you delete it it will just sit on your download list. Something happens to your disc drive the console its self is still playable and all of your games are available we've had people on here complain about discs getting stuck in side the ps3 and people attempting to wrap there ps3 in blankets and blow dryng them to get the to spit out a disc. I also like not having to swap discs and my games are all in one places were i can almost instantly go from one game to the next,

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Intend to be completely disc based other than indie and psn games. Digital only does nothing for me, I too am one that still likes having the physical product.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Probably for most gamers it will be a combination of both physical copies for big titles and digital versions for indie and psn games of course! I haven't bought that many games this year and will most like buy 2 or 3 games for christmas and many more next year with the AAA games coming 2014!!!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Items Led ZeppelinDreamcastDead NationArnold SchwarzneggerUser name style
    Physical stacks up better.

B/c digital is all on a HDD....and doesn't "stack".

Nyuk nyuk.

10. Likes DarkVincent07, darky89 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    iam geting games next gen the day they stop makeing game dics is the day i stop gameing

12. Likes Beast of Bourbon likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I won't be going digital outside of the free PS+ titles and indies. The files are just too big for me to wait all day for it to download

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Locomotive View Post
    Physical stacks up better.

B/c digital is all on a HDD....and doesn't "stack".

Nyuk nyuk.
    That made me laugh waaaay more than it should have.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    i haven't made 1 PS3 digital purchase for a game that I can get on a disk. ever

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Of course I'll go digital only. This is the future. All those physical copies collect nothing but dust and take away space.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    i haven't made 1 PS3 digital purchase for a game that I can get on a disk. ever
    The way Australian game stores are going atm wouldn't be surprised if you switched your tune very soon.

There's more security and pro's to going all digital, you can instantly join a game while another bozo is getting a please insert disc message on his screen, you don't get the security of being able to re-download a game if it's on disc, or get your game releases instantly... not all games are midnight launches, on digital it's always available at midnight... if you pre-order a game on PS3 for example it starts downloading from midnight and within the hour it's installed and ready to go... can't say the same for physical releases.

You can play all your PS4 games on the go with Vita... so guess for disc based people that's the choice of just one game.. while ALL DIGITAL people get ALL GAMES.

DIGITAL just seems like it's completely ready... for people with very unreliable internet a small plans definitely not for you and you unfortunately have to miss out on the perks... but for those who have 100mbps connections or more you're ready to go.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

18. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    The way Australian game stores are going atm wouldn't be surprised if you switched your tune very soon.

There's more security and pro's to going all digital, you can instantly join a game while another bozo is getting a please insert disc message on his screen, you don't get the security of being able to re-download a game if it's on disc, or get your game releases instantly... not all games are midnight launches, on digital it's always available at midnight... if you pre-order a game on PS3 for example it starts downloading from midnight and within the hour it's installed and ready to go... can't say the same for physical releases.

You can play all your PS4 games on the go with Vita... so guess for disc based people that's the choice of just one game.. while ALL DIGITAL people get ALL GAMES.

DIGITAL just seems like it's completely ready... for people with very unreliable internet a small plans definitely not for you and you unfortunately have to miss out on the perks... but for those who have 100mbps connections or more you're ready to go.
    considering 90% of new games have have brand new day 1 box copies for significantly cheaper than a digital price here its a no brainer for me. If i import or buy online delivered to my door its usually almost half the price of a PSN copy

i'm not paying more for lack of ownership and inability to resell. plus, im not that lazy and can change a disk.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Im really pissed off that these next gen games are using almost 40gigs per game on my HDD

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Im really pissed off that these next gen games are using almost 40gigs per game on my HDD
    yeah, it sucks that even if you have the disk it needs the room.. weather that's temporary or a full on background install remains to be seen. But if its anything like the PS3, i assume they can be deleted. Good thing about a disk copy is that if you want to play it again, you just pop in the disk and do so, and it will cache install again.

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Digital is great but I think 500GB is not enough if games are going to be 30-50GB.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Yeah 500gb is too small if you wanna go digital only.
    I'll keep on expanding my physical collection - especially since downloads aren't cheaper then the discversion.

We'll get more then enough DLtitles via PS+, no need to go all out imo.

Thread Information