Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Cool Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag - PS3 vs PS4 Graphics Comparison (Video)

►► Remember to select 720p or 1080p HD ◄◄
    Here's a full screen graphics comparison for Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag between the PS3 and PS4 versions. Both footage is an in-game cutscene from the start of Sequence 3, and both have been captured @ 1080p via HDMI using the Elgato Game Capture HD

Big difference in my opinion.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Mix of big improvements (Shadows, draw distance, and a huge one being the water), and some just barely. Looking good.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Member
    There's a difference but not enough enough to really brag about. That's the problem with multiplat and multi gen games. They don't have the time or resources to optimize for each individual console and you can't blame them. 90% of sales will be on the last gen.

Valar Morghulis
    PSN ID
    SerinousTSE
    Items PS3 FatVitaPS3 Slim
    Noticeable difference and improvements.

Superior Member
    Not enough of a difference to brag about. I hope BF4 doesn't suffer the same fate. I suspect not since at least the framerate is doubled.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Libra-75
    Looks like they just went with higher rez textures on the same models (for both versions). The biggest difference is the DOF and the detail of the water. It would've been better if the comparison was made with gameplay footage, IMO. I'm more interested in what the difference is when playing the game.

7. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    PSU Live Streamer
    You guys saying the difference isn't that big....exactly how big of a difference were you expecting? This will be the console generation with perhaps the smallest obvious leap in graphics compared to generations past. We already live in a generation that has mocap and character renders that look almost life like.

Textures, lighting, shaders, effects, draw distances....these are going to be the primary differences for next gen when making graphical comparisons.

It's always easy to pick on a game that is cross gen because you can have side by side footage. Chances are good ps3 could play KZ:SF or Infamous:SS but you better believe it would have washed out textures and fewer particle effects, etc. Obviously those 2 being sony exclusives, they won't get cross gen versions as they are meant to promote next gen. But AC4, BF4, CoD, etc....these games have no reason to not try and get themselves out to as many people as possible.

edit:
    As for this comparison in footage. The ocean is the most obvious to point out, but the textures (ship, clothing), shadows, lens flares and draw distance also are noticeable. Perhaps they should have included a side by side of both consoles comparing weather effects and foliage. As this footage is more likely a "cutscene" rather than gameplay.
    Last edited by shepard; 10-29-2013 at 00:21.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

9. Likes TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    Mix of big improvements (Shadows, draw distance, and a huge one being the water), and some just barely. Looking good.
    Yeah the water and draw distance were the two most noticable improvements and sharper textures. More of an improvement than I thought there would be tbh.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

AC4 Next Gen vs Current Gen (Rev3 Video)

so the only thing improved are the weather, foliage and water simulations? (also the resolution)

Friendship is Carrots
    It looks like nearly everything is improved, if mostly only marginally. But I find the numerous small improvements to be enough to increase the overall fidelity nicely. This is a cross-generation, multiplatform title so it's really not surprising that it's only partially exercising the full capabilities of the XB1 and PS4.

I'm actually impressed with how well the 360 version looked. Not bad at all for 8-year old hardware.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    It looks like nearly everything is improved, if mostly only marginally. But I find the numerous small improvements to be enough to increase the overall fidelity nicely. This is a cross-generation, multiplatform title so it's really not surprising that it's only partially exercising the full capabilities of the XB1 and PS4.

I'm actually impressed with how well the 360 version looked. Not bad at all for 8-year old hardware.
    Yeah I'm more impressed at how well the current gen systems keep up. The simulations are really nice though

PSU Live Streamer
    Just finished watching this, was coming to add it to the previous AC4 comparison thread.

I'm still waiting for the ps4 version. I'm playing a game that takes place in the Caribbean. I want my oceans, plant life and weather effects to be at its peak as they are the building blocks to a great experience in such a location.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Skullomainia
    Not going to get the huge visual leap we had at the start if the current gen when we entered the HD era, not with the early games anyway. I think it will be like it was when HD TV came in. At first the differences were noticeable, but not that noticeable to most people I know who weren't that interested in technology. I find the more HD content you watch on TV, the rougher SD content looks when you see it and I think that's the type of thing you're going to notice about the ps3 content after getting used to playing on ps4. The subtle differences will mount up.

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    Yeah the water and draw distance were the two most noticable improvements and sharper textures. More of an improvement than I thought there would be tbh.

Elite Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shepard View Post
    You guys saying the difference isn't that big....exactly how big of a difference were you expecting? This will be the console generation with perhaps the smallest obvious leap in graphics compared to generations past. We already live in a generation that has mocap and character renders that look almost life like.

Textures, lighting, shaders, effects, draw distances....these are going to be the primary differences for next gen when making graphical comparisons.

It's always easy to pick on a game that is cross gen because you can have side by side footage. Chances are good ps3 could play KZ:SF or Infamous:SS but you better believe it would have washed out textures and fewer particle effects, etc. Obviously those 2 being sony exclusives, they won't get cross gen versions as they are meant to promote next gen. But AC4, BF4, CoD, etc....these games have no reason to not try and get themselves out to as many people as possible.

edit:
    As for this comparison in footage. The ocean is the most obvious to point out, but the textures (ship, clothing), shadows, lens flares and draw distance also are noticeable. Perhaps they should have included a side by side of both consoles comparing weather effects and foliage. As this footage is more likely a "cutscene" rather than gameplay.
    Not much to be honest. Why did you jump to conclusions?

PSN ID
    Captobvious75
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    This is what I care about the most in any game on next gen consoles. Resolution isn't the end all be all

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

PSN ID
    Jurell02
    hm truth be told that is not much of a jump at all. the ps4 version is smoother and shaper no doubt but the biggest jump is the water. still I'll get the game for ps4 one day. playing the games on 360 right now almost done AC 2 then on to the other ones.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    Dude-in-the-Room
    Looks good....I can tell the difference.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    ugh. That video doesn't do either game enough justice on what they look like.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Cross gen game is cross gen.

It doesn't look bad. But it doesn't look great either. Ubisoft have a habit of making the first reveal look breathtaking, then the actual game coming nowhere near it - even on PC. Far Cry 3 did it too.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyn View Post
    Far Cry 3 did it too.
    Ooooo, I think you need to choose another example. FC3 looked tremendous.

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    Quote Originally Posted by GrandWazoo View Post
    Ooooo, I think you need to choose another example. FC3 looked tremendous.
    Go watch the initial trailers, gameplay looked like cutscenes. Actual game did not. Obviously.

PSU Live Streamer
    probably referring to this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sE9EpmDMZtA

This is why people should wait for gameplay trailers and not base expectations on CGI trailers. Especially the promotional ones used to introduce the product for the first time.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    ugh. That video doesn't do either game enough justice on what they look like.
    Yeah I watched it on the PS3 you tube app which had much higher res video. I could see the differences alot better.

PSU Live Streamer
    debunk vid

Thread Information