Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

Does anyone know why neither system has 802.11ac?

I know the standard is still pretty new but I wonder why it didn't make it to these consoles.
    Last edited by DontKnowMe; 10-29-2013 at 06:09.

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Does anyone know why neither system has 802.11ac?

Unless you have Google Fiber, it probably won't affect you much. I think they should have included it as well, but I'm guessing price had to do with it. There's also the Ethernet if you have a need for speed. Ethernet is better for online gaming anyway.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I think is is because not a lot of people have that right now, but if 802.11ac starts to catch on more they can always add it into a revision on future PS4 systems.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    JDizzleNO1
    Items Diablo IIIMetallicaUser name styleDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    Unless you have Google Fiber, it probably won't affect you much. I think they should have included it as well, but I'm guessing price had to do with it. There's also the Ethernet if you have a need for speed. Ethernet is better for online gaming anyway.
    unless you're playing COD, which then you get hammered by artificial lag to "level" the playing field lol

but that should change with COD and dedicated servers, finally

/derailment

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    It's bad enough the PS4 doesn't support 5gHz N (does it even support N? I can't recall what we discussed in that threat a while back)
    I guess I could understand this though

Dedicated Member
    5Ghz N doesn't penetrate walls very well, 2.4Ghz is best indoors, 5Ghz N is best outdoors.

Ideally, I'd like to ask why HomePLUG standards haven't been integrated yet?
    HomePLUG game system and HomePLUG router, done, guaranteed to at least equal your Broadband speed, most likely far exceed it on your LAN.

My guess is Remote Play will work best on an Ethernet connection to lessen the burden on the WiFi stack during RP.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Remoteplay with a wire sounds stoopid.

8. Likes John Willaford likes this post
    Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by DontKnowMe View Post
    I know the standard is still pretty new but I wonder why it didn't make it to these consoles.
    From what I've gathered, the standard isn't finalized quite yet and isn't expected to until sometime in the spring of 2014. While there are devices out on the market that do have it now i.e., Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 3 and HTC One, as well as commercial grade routers, it's expected that you won't even utilize the full bandwidth potential until the ISPs get their act together and up the bandwidth accordingly. (I'm looking at you AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner.)

10. Likes TAZ427 likes this post
    Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by D3seeker View Post
    It's bad enough the PS4 doesn't support 5gHz N (does it even support N? I can't recall what we discussed in that threat a while back)
    I guess I could understand this though
    It supports 802.11a/b/g/n. I don't if it is 5ghz.

Administrator
    It supports 802.11a/b/g/n. I don't if it is 5ghz.
    No, it supports b/g/n, not a.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Forum Sage
    Bingo. No need to adopt new/unfinished standards.

It will likely get it, along with usb 3.1 and hdmi 2.0 when the slim version is released.

Administrator
    I'm not so sure there will even be a slim version, considering the PS4 is smaller than the current PS3 slim... but we'll see, I guess. I'm sure they'll include it down the road.

Forum Sage
    I'm not so sure there will even be a slim version, considering the PS4 is smaller than the current PS3 slim... but we'll see, I guess. I'm sure they'll include it down the road.
    Considering how small the ps2 slim and redesigned psone were, they can always make changes.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Presenting.......the PS4 Slim!

now that's pretty damn small
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Cute, you know darn well I meant with Ethernet as the broadband connection to lessen the burden on the WiFi chip.
    Touche' Kozmonaut.

PS: I AINT GETTING INTO NO AIRLPLANE HANNIBAL!

18. Likes keefy likes this post
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Considering how small the ps2 slim and redesigned psone were, they can always make changes.
    Yeah, but there's a lot more stuff in the PS3/PS4 than the PS2/PS1. But technology never ceases to amaze me.

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Presenting.......the PS4 Slim!

now that's pretty damn small
    That would get lost quite easily. :-0

Veteran
    ac is not standard yet, most mobile/pc/laptop/hybrids don't come with embedded ac yet but they offer it as an extra upgrade and my guess is it won't be standard soon so no need to future proof it and elevate the cost even if it's not by too much.

Forum Sage
    Yeah, but there's a lot more stuff in the PS3/PS4 than the PS2/PS1. But technology never ceases to amaze me.

See the ps3 original design compared to the super slim.

Administrator
    See the ps3 original design compared to the super slim.
    Yes, I know that... but Sony used all of their manufacturing experience of the last 3 generations to make the PS4 the way it is. There was a lot of brand new tech in the PS3... a big ass Blu-ray drive, etc... that made it as huge as it was. And the PS4 is using very modern components that aren't very big to begin with... such a slim Blu-ray drive, an APU, etc. If it does get smaller... I can't see them doing very much. Heating would become an issue. A better comparison would be PS3 slim to the PS4... not the PS3 fat to the PS4... the reduction won't be that dramatic.

Forum Sage
    Yes, I know that... but Sony used all of their manufacturing experience of the last 3 generations to make the PS4 the way it is. There was a lot of brand new tech in the PS3... a big ass Blu-ray drive, etc... that made it as huge as it was. And the PS4 is using very modern components that aren't very big to begin with... such a slim Blu-ray drive, an APU, etc. If it does get smaller... I can't see them doing very much. Heating would become an issue. A better comparison would be PS3 slim to the PS4... not the PS3 fat to the PS4... the reduction won't be that dramatic.
    Just look at laptops. We have computers with full power quad core cpu's and intermediate graphics cards that are .75 inches thick or less. Just a few years ago, you would need a laptop ~twice as thick to properly accommodate that hardware. Improvements are made on a constant basis.

Current PS4 chips are manufactures on a 28 nanometer process, imagine what could be done with a 14 or even 10 nanometer fabrication process in 3-4 years.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    From what I've gathered, the standard isn't finalized quite yet and isn't expected to until sometime in the spring of 2014. While there are devices out on the market that do have it now i.e., Samsung Galaxy S4, Note 3 and HTC One, as well as commercial grade routers, it's expected that you won't even utilize the full bandwidth potential until the ISPs get their act together and up the bandwidth accordingly. (I'm looking at you AT&T, Verizon, Comcast and Time Warner.)
    Glad I read through this, as this is what I was going to comment on. It's not a ratified standard as of yet, and while there are 802.11ac draft routers out they may/may not support the full standard and not many (outside of the a few of the higher end Smartphone/Tablets) are implementing it today.

To be honest for them it's really just a selling point, and not something they'd get much of a benefit from over 802.11N itself. Unless as mentioned people have some REALLY high end fiber connection and no bottle necks between them and the servers they're accessing (which is usually the case with my 25Mbps connection.)

You're not going to have any Lag improvement for this as was implied by some.

Any if you really want this you can either go direct Ethernet or after getting your 802.11ac router, get a 802.11ac AP and set it up as a Gateway to your equipment.

25. Likes Ezekiel likes this post
    Administrator
    Just look at laptops. We have computers with full power quad core cpu's and intermediate graphics cards that are .75 inches thick or less. Just a few years ago, you would need a laptop ~twice as thick to properly accommodate that hardware. Improvements are made on a constant basis.

Current PS4 chips are manufactures on a 28 nanometer process, imagine what could be done with a 14 or even 10 nanometer fabrication process in 3-4 years.
    That's what I'm hoping for. It's just hard to imagine right now, but technology never ceases to amaze.

Dedicated Member

Even .22 is a tremendous jump.
    I had thought SONY might have gone to .22 with their design but it appears both are .28 and Microsoft's issues are the huge block of ESRAM transistors on the chip they had to tweak for cooling (one assumes that block of 1.4B transistors is the most active given it's importance).

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Check your inbox!
    Last edited by Brandon; 10-29-2013 at 22:06. Reason: DOUBLE POST

Dedicated Member

What amazes me is my entertainment cabinet top shelf, under the TV, has room for me to put my PS3 60GB ontop of my PS4 and still not be wedged in using a rubber mallet! Well done SONY.
    I have 4 generations of gaming in that small of a footprint!
    My Retron 5 will have to go on the other side!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    When do you think picometre will be used?

Thread Information