Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim

Digital Game Sharing On The PS4

When the PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One were first announced, the ability to share physical copies of games was rumored to be in jeopardy. This caused an uproar from the gaming community and eventually forced Microsoft to rethink its strategy on digital rights management on its next-gen console. Sony reaped the benefits of the PR backlash by gleefully rubbing Microsoft’s nose in the mess it had made, but until now, there has been no word on how (or if) digital copies of games can be shared with friends and family on Sony’s own console. Now, just over two weeks from release, Sony has posted a PlayStation 4 FAQ online that details exactly how digital game sharing will work.

When you buy a PlayStation 4, you can name that console as your primary system. Friends and family who use the console can play any of the games you have downloaded from the PlayStation Store, regardless of whether they have logged into your account. If you have an active PlayStation Plus account, other users are also able to play online, even without their own subscription to the premium service.

As for “secondary” consoles (any consoles that are not registered as your primary PS4), you must be logged into the PlayStation Network on your own account to download or play games you have previously purchased. Up to two systems can be logged into your account simultaneously as well, and there is no limit to the number of systems you can use
    http://bgr.com/2013/10/28/sony-playstation-4-game-sharing-detailed/

and the official FAQs page:

http://us.playstation.com/ps4/features/ps4-faq/

Sent from the Warlock
    Last edited by D3seeker; 10-29-2013 at 08:39.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    I couldn't completely understand this , I have a question. Games here are €70 which means rest of the USA is $#@!ed.

I have an EU account of course.What if I register an US account to my ps4, and buy games for $60 then log in with my EU account again, can I played the one I downloaded from US?
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    Should be. As long as it's on that PS4

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    X-x-Stallion-x-X
    Items LBP Sephiroth
    Quote Originally Posted by Shingo View Post
    I couldn't completely understand this , I have a question. Games here are €70 which means rest of the USA is $#@!ed.

I have an EU account of course.What if I register an US account to my ps4, and buy games for $60 then log in with my EU account again, can I played the one I downloaded from US?
    From what i understand as long as that PS4 is logged as your "Master" system with both EU and US accounts it'll play content from both on either account.

Don't go around believing that Great Wizards solve all your problems, because there aren't any and they don't and I should know because I'm not one...

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Quote Originally Posted by XperienZ View Post
    From what i understand as long as that PS4 is logged as your "Master" system with both EU and US accounts it'll play content from both on either account.
    If it is I am directly going to next gen, if not I will wait about EU prices to cut down because they are lunatic.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList

Stop preordering games! Stop buying day1 games! Stop being idiots!

Super Elite
    Sounds perfectly reasonable.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    So can we share with other PSU members if we trust them with our password?

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Sounds like this:

You make your friend's console as primary. And your friend makes your's his primary.
    You and your friend buy games.
    Games become licensed on the opposite consoles.
    You can both play the same game (which was purchased only once) at the same time.

Problem solved.

If that's true, going digital next gen really makes sense. And yes.. you need to have a friend who's interested in 50% savings as well.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by INFAMOUS8 View Post
    So can we share with other PSU members if we trust them with our password?
    yes pretty much the same deal as on PS3 right now, I share games with my older brother because he's a stingy bastard.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    yes pretty much the same deal as on PS3 right now, I share games with my older brother because he's a stingy bastard.
    Yeah, but now for your friend to play your stuff on their console, you would have to be signed in on it. Not the biggest deal in the world since more than one person can be signed in on a single ps4. But it means your friends list will see you signed in when your friend is playing one of your games.

Or I guess you could make your friends console your primary and he makes his primary your console.

More annoying then it works now, but you could make it work.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    bat0nas_LT
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post

Or I guess you could make your friends console your primary and he makes his primary your console.
    That is exactly what I wrote here: http://www.psu.com/forums/showthread...=1#post6231181

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    I understand game-sharing with your best friend or your family but every other nut you meet on PSN? That's why we had 5 activations + 1 PSP activation and got knocked down to 2 activations total, PS3, PS4, Vita and/or PSP. Which, frankly, bugs me. I only want to conveniently share games within my family, all devices technically by the laws of the state and country in which I live, the joint property of me and my wife. Not to get a US$15 map pack for US$3 because I found four strangers lurking PSN for game-shares. The way it looks right now, unless Sony grants us individual grace for PS4 and Vita activations, with the required PS+ membership, which is essentially a family membership, I'm going to have to put that membership on my son's account because he'll really only need to be activated on the kids' PS3 and the family PS4. Now if he gets a Vita, that'll change. As it is I'm probably going to have to activate and deactivate my account between my PS3 and PS4 all the time. It's not a world-ending hassle, but it's a hassle.

Apple got that part of the DRM angle right. Anybody can log into store accounts with your Apple ID and download and use your previously and newly purchased content. Only four computers, but any number of devices. Although Apple does have a big leg up in practice limiting that open-season policy to families, significant others, that sort of thing. Most people's Apple IDs are also their iCloud IDs and giving some Internet random access to use your purchased content also gives them the keys to the whole kingdom. In general, people won't hand over their kids' social security numbers, their private calendars, their personal emails, all their vacation photos and the ability to remote lock and/or wipe their iPhones to some guy they "met" on Twitter.

Thread Information