Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Administrator
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Relevant:
    Lol... I almost spit out my drink at "$#@! YOU".

I can't wait until Google Fiber begins reaching its little tendrils across the entire US so that other broadband companies are forced to lower their absurdly high prices to match the competition.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by chumdiddy View Post
    I can say that it is a lot of things. People as old as myself (an 80's baby) remember how fast dial-up spread throughout the country once PCs became affordable and people saw what could be done on the internet (even over a 28.8-56k connection/modem).
    The price for your local dial-up provider was around what JUST the broadband internet costs now. I bold "JUST" because it's not only the price of the provider's mid-level speed but it comes with the stipulation that you buy a "package". Few broadband internet providers will let you simply buy JUST internet from them. You want internet? You have to get, at the very least, their TV or home phone service with it. So, the package is one of the differences and is what makes the price of broadband so expensive here.
    I have cable through Comcast/Xfinity. I pay $180 a month for 10mbps internet (a clean full speed download or test sometimes has me downloading at 3mb/s & uploading at about 400kb/s), a pretty solid TV package that does not include any pay channels outside of my sports package (ESPNU, BIG10 Network, others) and home phone I literally don't even have plugged in. I cannot recall the last time I took or made a call from my home phone but it saves me no money to remove it so I keep it.
    Do I think that is an insane price for what I largely deem as my internet and the 15 channels I even give a crap about? Absolutely. Not defending Comcast. Ever. It's robbery and to make it worse the underground cable that feeds the neighborhood their, well, cable (lol) was cut in half by the morons that have been failing to fix my surrounding roads for the last 2 years. Ever since they did that my internet goes out every day, about every couple hours for sometimes as long as 20 mins and sometimes just a minute or so. Still, it's bad service/maintenance.

Back on point....

For all the gripes I have about the American Broadband System/Network (both internet and cellular), there are some things that just cannot be helped that lead to high prices.
    As mentioned, many areas are forced to deal with a company that has a monopoly over said area. If Comcast is your only option (it is in much of the country) than why would they not charge the price they see as the "Goldilocks" price to maximize profit? I think it's wrong and evil but if they know how important the populace views the need for internet these days why would a multi-billion dollar corporation NOT charge the price that is right at the edge of when a consumer would say "F-it, not paying that"? I live in an area that has 3 options: Comcast, Charter (even worse) and AT&T. Oh, technically DirecTV as I think they have an internet option as well. The fact is that satellite blows even for TV, let alone internet. Charter not only still delivers speeds that were considered low end 5 years ago but their service and customer support is non-existent. I had AT&T DSL before I switched to Comcast about 8 years ago and at first the internet speed switch was almost not noticeable (both downloaded at about 500kb/s), it was cheaper and i liked it. I switched because for about a year they moved their service out of my area, lol. Now, compared to Comcast boradband, AT&T is a joke so if you like to download large files under any legal terms the basic Comcast package destroys just about the best AT&T offers. Yet, it's still cheaper where I live so if not into downloading games/movies off PSN (or certain sites) it's a decent offer. Point being that some places don't have 2 options, let alone 4. Where there are no options there will always be gouging. Capitalist fact.
    This is where I almost have to stick up for these blood sucking companies and give probably the biggest reason why it is still so expensive and slow to keep up with the South Koreas, European countires, etc.
    A major reason that both bradband internet and cellular coverage is so expensive and behind some other countries is the sheer SIZE of the country these companies have to cover. We have states bigger than South Korea. Heck, I'm being silly but we have a couple cities almost as big, lol jk. The same goes for most other countries where the speed and price is at a better ratio than the United States as it's a size thing. You can take Japan, Scandinavia (pretty much all of industrialized Europe), South Korea, etc and fir them all in just the mainland USA. It's much easier, cheaper and efficient to wire a nation that has a land mass the size of the State I live in. I remember when I still had dial-up and I had a Swedish pen-pal that spoke of having a T1 line like it was no big deal, like everyone had access to it and this was about 2000-2001, LMAO.
    When a nation can have their government, a company or many wire the entire nation with fiber optics over the course of a couple years (sometimes less) that passes the savings onto the population. It's almost 2014 and there are still large chunks of the USA that have no broadband access! Literally no option. Many in the Montana/Dakotas/Utah/Nebraska areas still use dial-up. That leads me to my last point in this thesis, lol:

As with dial-up, with more competition and access you will see prices drop and service improve. In fact, in that 2000-2001 era I spoke of there was this nationwide push for broadband in many heavily-modestly populated areas. My town of about 30,000 people had its first broadband carrier and even though the download speeds were about 50kb/s that was like going lightspeed compared to the 3-5kb/s you got off of dial-up using 56.6 modems. So, there was this period of about a year where dial-up was literally free if you knew where to go and what to do.
    First, in EVERY store, next to the register and donation box, you would find a stack of CDs that were free to take and offered free dial-up internet with the caveat of only having to deal with a tiny advertisement box you could even minimize while you surfed. Others would kick you off every 2 hours and make you wait 15 mins before loggin back in. Some would do both, lol. Basically, it was just about every company other than AOL desperately trying to keep people from going to broadband once it hit but it was actually going on before broadband came to town because there were "mom & pop" dial-up companies EVERYWHERE between 1998-2000. The phone book would have pages upon pages of them just in my town of 30k people. Why? How? The telephony infrastructure was built across the USA back in the middle of the 20th century. Starting a dial-up company was there for the taking and many tried to be the next AOL but were too late. Yet, all they had to do was invest in a few servers and get some phone numbers. Bam! Company. HAHA.
    As for America, most can get pretty good broadband right now but, admittedly, for a price and the companies like Comcast/Xfinity have us by the balls. Eventually, like the telephone system, the country will get wired and it will be like it is in South Korea, etc. Until then, there is too much money being made by too few and too much land to cover to get their product to everyone.
    Silver lining? As others said, new options like Fios and Google Fiber are slowly creeping along and I'd guess America is on par with the likes of South Korea in the 2020's. Finally, most American companies do not cap your usage due to them knowing what you pay for their service, lol. Technically, I think they all have stipulations but I've gone on week long 50GB+ a day binges and not been capped or charged extra or anything. I hear in Korea and much of Europe that many companies cap your DAILY usage. Not monthly but daily. Sometimes both. That'd drive me nuts.
    I don't think you could of nailed it any better than you did! It was for these reasons that when we built a new home back in '07 I chose an area that had FiOS available, yes I actually based where I would live on the availability of FiOS service! I just hope Google Fiber finds its way across the country as fast as it can which will force everyone to lower prices and offer even faster speeds!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    I don't think you could of nailed it any better than you did! It was for these reasons that when we built a new home back in '07 I chose an area that had FiOS available, yes I actually based where I would live on the availability of FiOS service! I just hope Google Fiber finds its way across the country as fast as it can which will force everyone to lower prices and offer even faster speeds!
    There's no other way to get FiOS than to move where FiOS is because Verizon is no longer expanding the service... which is incredibly stupid. If Google catches up and Verizon is still no longer expanding... and if they're still charging 3-4 times as much as Google is... they're in for a lot of trouble. I hope Google starts expanding a LOT faster than they currently are. They're currently in Kansas City, Provo, Utah, and are expanding to Austin, Texas. They are expanding EXTREMELY slowly. >_>

Currently, Google charges $70 a month for 1 Gbps down and up speeds with a $30 construction fee. If someone doesn't know what 1 Gbps is... it's 128 MB/sec... which is nuts. To put that into perspective... you could download a 40 GB Blu-ray movie in 5 minutes. You could stream 4K easily (a full 4K movie would take 10-15 minutes... it'd be done streaming way before the movie even finishes).

On top of that... if you just pay the $30 construction fee... they give you free internet. It's nowhere near the speed of the Fiber... but it's still free.
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-06-2013 at 23:18.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    On top of that... if you just pay the $30 construction fee... they give you free internet. It's nowhere near the speed of the Fiber... but it's still free.
    It is going pretty slow...but it is a $300 construction fee to get the free internet, which still runs over a fiber connection, it just isn't 1Gbps! I wish Verizon would start expanding again, they were still expanding when I built my house...

Administrator
    Uh... no. I said $30 construction fee, not $300. o_0 With the $30 construction fee, you get free internet for 7 years. If you want the Gigabit internet... it's the $30 construction fee and then just $70 a month after that. Either way, it's $30 for the construction fee.

FiOS has 500 down and 100 up now, but for 300 dollars a month. It takes months and months and sometimes years for Google to fully roll out everything to an area... so I don't really see it expanding to any appreciable degree anytime soon. I hate ISPs so much that I may consider moving to one of these GFiber towns. -__- I think I'm currently paying $70 a month for 50 Mb down and 2 Mb up. The 2 Mb up part is simply unacceptable. The entire infrastructure of ISPs right now has been a money-grabbing lie. You can tell because as soon as Google Fiber announced plans for Austin, Texas... AT&T magically announced it's 1 Gigabit U-Verse internet to compete with Google Fiber... this after AT&T's offerings were like 20-40 Mbps at absurd prices. The technology is there... but ISPs are thieving A-holes. I'm glad Google has started a chain reaction in the areas they're expanding to. It might be just the push we need for ISPs to start offering better speeds.

Other ISPs are starting to offer 1 Gb speeds as well... such as in Seattle. I think ISPs seeing the reaction of everyone freaking out... and basically saying they'd drop their ISP in a heartbeat for GFiber or even move to that area... is a big indicator of how badly people want faster speeds.
    Last edited by Brandon; 11-07-2013 at 00:16.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Yea 50 down is decent but 2 up is pathetic, I used to get that on my old ISP when I had 16Mbit download Now I get on average 14Mbit upload, 16 is a good day.

Last edited by keefy; 11-07-2013 at 00:31.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Uh... no. I said $30 construction fee, not $300. o_0 With the $30 construction fee, you get free internet for 7 years. If you want the Gigabit internet... it's the $30 construction fee and then just $70 a month after that. Either way, it's $30 for the construction fee.

FiOS has 500 down and 100 up now, but for 300 dollars a month. It takes months and months and sometimes years for Google to fully roll out everything to an area... so I don't really see it expanding to any appreciable degree anytime soon. I hate ISPs so much that I may consider moving to one of these GFiber towns. -__- I think I'm currently paying $70 a month for 50 Mb down and 2 Mb up. The 2 Mb up part is simply unacceptable. The entire infrastructure of ISPs right now has been a money-grabbing lie. You can tell because as soon as Google Fiber announced plans for Austin, Texas... AT&T magically announced it's 1 Gigabit U-Verse internet to compete with Google Fiber... this after AT&T's offerings were like 20-40 Mbps at absurd prices. The technology is there... but ISPs are thieving A-holes. I'm glad Google has started a chain reaction in the areas they're expanding to. It might be just the push we need for ISPs to start offering better speeds.

Other ISPs are starting to offer 1 Gb speeds as well... such as in Seattle. I think ISPs seeing the reaction of everyone freaking out... and basically saying they'd drop their ISP in a heartbeat for GFiber or even move to that area... is a big indicator of how badly people want faster speeds.
    Ahhh, the Kansas pricing page shows a $300 construction fee, but if you look at the Utah page it shows $30 :/

That $30 has to be a typo on that Utah page, even under the Subscriber Agreement page it shows a $300 construction fee!

https://fiber.google.com/legal/subscriber.html

MonkeyClaw: 1, PBM: 0

Yeah, FiOS is pretty expensive (at least I think so) for what I get as well, I pay for 50/25, but my speedtest is 60/35 and it costs me around that same amount!

Administrator
    $300 makes more sense... lol. Even still... free internet for 7 years is a nice trade off.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    $300 makes more sense... lol. Even still... free internet for 7 years is a nice trade off.
    Actually from what I can tell, I think Utah actually gets a break on the construction fee, even the ones that get 1Gbps internet have the fee where in Kansas if you get the 1Gbps speed the fee is waived...so you technically might be right for Utah! We will call this one a draw!

Administrator
    I call this one a confusion between two fellow PSU members. :]

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Heat195
    I have cable through Comcast/Xfinity. I pay $180 a month for 10mbps internet (a clean full speed download or test sometimes has me downloading at 3mb/s & uploading at about 400kb/s), a pretty solid TV package that does not include any pay channels outside of my sports package (ESPNU, BIG10 Network, others) and home phone I literally don't even have plugged in. I cannot recall the last time I took or made a call from my home phone but it saves me no money to remove it so I keep it.
    Do I think that is an insane price for what I largely deem as my internet and the 15 channels I even give a crap about? Absolutely. Not defending Comcast. Ever. It's robbery and to make it worse the underground cable that feeds the neighborhood their, well, cable (lol) was cut in half by the morons that have been failing to fix my surrounding roads for the last 2 years. Ever since they did that my internet goes out every day, about every couple hours for sometimes as long as 20 mins and sometimes just a minute or so. Still, it's bad service/maintenance.
    $180 a month for that!?!?! That is the most insane thing I've read this week. I would move away if I didn't love my location. I get 2X the download speeds and 200 KB/s more uploading speeds for $29.99 CAD per month...however I am getting the best deal for Internet anywhere in my country based on the research I did because its obvious that Fibre to the Home is incredible and rare. I don't live in a city either. With the phone and TV its close to $85 a month, TV has one special package added.

A major reason that both bradband internet and cellular coverage is so expensive and behind some other countries is the sheer SIZE of the country these companies have to cover. We have states bigger than South Korea. Heck, I'm being silly but we have a couple cities almost as big, lol jk. The same goes for most other countries where the speed and price is at a better ratio than the United States as it's a size thing. You can take Japan, Scandinavia (pretty much all of industrialized Europe), South Korea, etc and fir them all in just the mainland USA. It's much easier, cheaper and efficient to wire a nation that has a land mass the size of the State I live in.
    Canada, the 2nd largest country in the world geographically, and I have fibre optic Internet. I see your point though.

Finally, most American companies do not cap your usage due to them knowing what you pay for their service, lol. Technically, I think they all have stipulations but I've gone on week long 50GB+ a day binges and not been capped or charged extra or anything. I hear in Korea and much of Europe that many companies cap your DAILY usage. Not monthly but daily. Sometimes both. That'd drive me nuts.
    And one of the best part's of my Internet is there are no caps at all anywhere. I love my Internet service so much its not even funny. I know how lucky I am for having it. Not trying to rub it in . Its so good that it is increasing property values in the area.

There's no other way to get FiOS than to move where FiOS is because Verizon is no longer expanding the service... which is incredibly stupid. If Google catches up and Verizon is still no longer expanding... and if they're still charging 3-4 times as much as Google is... they're in for a lot of trouble. I hope Google starts expanding a LOT faster than they currently are. They're currently in Kansas City, Provo, Utah, and are expanding to Austin, Texas. They are expanding EXTREMELY slowly. >_>
    That's what I suspected, great things seem to move slowly a lot of the time in the physical world. It seems like the large companies that try to undertake these fibre projects have trouble because the costs of doing it over a huge area are large and ironically what happens is these smaller communication companies take it upon themselves to start it in smaller towns and are wildly successful like in my case. The newest and greatest doesn't always start in the big cities. The spread of Fibre always does bring the competition prices down dramatically because if they don't, they're dead. That's what happened in my case but despite the rapid price collapse and doubling of speeds offered, they are way far behind.

Currently, Google charges $70 a month for 1 Gbps down and up speeds with a $30 construction fee. If someone doesn't know what 1 Gbps is... it's 128 MB/sec... which is nuts. To put that into perspective... you could download a 40 GB Blu-ray movie in 5 minutes. You could stream 4K easily (a full 4K movie would take 10-15 minutes... it'd be done streaming way before the movie even finishes).

That's pretty good, but at a certain point the benefit goes down unless you do massive parallel downloading. The construction fee for installing the fibre optic system where I am...free . You are locked into a 3 year term but that's meaningless because there is no way in hell I'm going to anything else in the future. The other options now available are literally a complete joke at this point, every time I look at one of their ads and offers I just laugh.

Supreme Veteran
    There are cables under the ocean.

http://submarine-cable-map-2013.telegeography.com/

Elite Guru
    Because gas is so cheap there. Give us cheap gas and you'll get cheap broadband
    Feed the troll

Ultimate Veteran
    My broadband is almost 40 dollars a month these cable are rip offs

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by coolguy View Post
    My broadband is almost 40 dollars a month these cable are rip offs
    then dont pay them.....Good lord they charge what people will pay not what you wish it to be.

Finally You Are Free
    Why would he not pay them if he wants the service? That doesn't make sense.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    United Corporations of America. That's why. /end

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Why would he not pay them if he wants the service? That doesn't make sense.
    He is the one who said he pays to much not me. Companies only charge what they think they can get if it was to much no one would pay and they would go out of business

tapatalk post

Finally You Are Free
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    He is the one who said he pays to much not me. Companies only charge what they think they can get if it was to much no one would pay and they would go out of business

tapatalk post
    I don't see how that's relevant. He feels it's too much for the service he's getting. Of course it's up to the company to decide, but that's entirely besides the point.

Supreme Veteran
    I hear of people say they want to cancel and leave, then the company says we can come to a deal and offer 20% or moe off.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    That's because the cost of broadband is highly overpriced. I like how Lowell said Verizon will never worry about pricing or go back to unlimited data, and charge what they do for cell service. What a jerk. But, the good thing about vzw is they are getting theirs...capacity going up while speeds are going down...their network is going to flounder from being stressed, but (my carrier) has more spectrum than all 3 other carriers combined and recently had a Japanese transaction that gives them plenty of liquid asset to complete and upgrade network. And they are by leaps and bounds.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

Thread Information