Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

New Xbox terms authorizes sharing of information

New Xbox Live terms ask users to commit to security, agree to share data with partners

By Michael McWhertor on Oct 28, 2013 at 4:50p

TWEET

A new terms of use agreement for Xbox Live will roll out later this week, Microsoft announced today, one that requires its users to agree to commit to keeping their account secure and, more importantly, allow the company to share certain personal data with its partners.

According to a post on Xbox Wire, the new Xbox Live terms of use "now asks all users to commit to keeping their contact information up to date" in an effort to bolster security.
    "Protecting your account from unauthorized access and fraud is a top priority for us," the post reads. "It helps keep Xbox Live safer and more secure for everyone."
    Microsoft's new terms also cover what information the company can share with partners who publish apps, like HBO Go, Netflix, ESPN, Last.fm and others that require a separate user account.

"If you choose to link this account with your Xbox Live account, we confirm key data points across the accounts by sharing data such as your name, address, email address and date of birth with the partner," the post reads. "In this TOU update, customers agree to allow Microsoft to share this information in this manner."

Microsoft's current terms of use, effective as of July 2013, can be read at Xbox.com. Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live TOU indicates that Microsoft can share certain personal information provided to the company, but the updated terms appear to grant the company broader use of that data.

We require certain permissions in order for you to evaluate or use and for us to enable
    the features and functions of the Xbox LIVE/Games for Windows-LIVE service. These features and functions include leaderboards, live-hosted gameplay, achievements, tournaments, and gamer profile sharing. If you evaluate or use or we enable these features and functions, you grant Microsoft and its affiliates, resellers, distributors, service providers, partners, and suppliers (each, a "Microsoft party") the following permissions: Microsoft parties may use, track, store, copy, distribute, broadcast, transmit, publicly display and perform, and reproduce: (i) your game scores; (ii) your game play sessions; (iii) your presence on the Xbox LIVE/Games for Windows-LIVE service; (iv) the time that you spend on or within particular portions of the Xbox LIVE/Games for Windows-LIVE service; (v) portions of the Xbox LIVE/Games for Window-LIVE service that are displayed on your monitor or screen and the duration of that display; (vi) rankings, statistics, gamer profiles, avatars, and content that you may submit; and (vii) other usage information. These permissions apply with or without attribution to you, your gamertag or avatar. We may use these permissions without notice or compensation to you of any kind. To avoid any confusion, we have the right to make information pertaining to your use of, and gameplay on, Xbox LIVE available through Games for Windows-LIVE, and vice versa. If you choose to link your Services account with the account of a Microsoft party on the Xbox LIVE service (for example, a game publisher or app provider), you agree that Microsoft may share limited account information with that Microsoft party. Such account information may include name, address, email and age but will not include any credit card or other payment information.

Microsoft's overarching online privacy statement indicates that Xbox Live account holders can opt out of sharing some of that information, but it's unclear if the following will change.
    If you have an Xbox.com or Xbox LIVE account, you can set your contact preferences and choose whether to share your contact information with Xbox partners by accessing My Xbox on the Xbox 360 console or on the Xbox.com website. To access these settings on the Xbox.com website, select My Xbox, Profile then Contact Preferences. On the Xbox 360 console, select My Xbox, Profile then Online Safety.
    http://www.polygon.com/2013/10/28/50...agree-to-share

Ugh. I hate this kind of stuff.
    Last edited by PS4freak; 10-29-2013 at 21:47.

Currently Playing: ​Skyrim, Far Cry 4
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ The Order:1886

Ultimate Veteran

XBox Live Terms of Use Update: now must agree to share info with marketing partners

Microsoft changing Xbox Live Terms of Use

As part of update, users must agree to allow Microsoft to share their name, address, email, and date of birth with app partners.

by Eddie Makuch on October 29, 2013

Microsoft has announced an update for its Xbox Live Terms of Use (TOU) that covers what data the company can share with partners that publish applications, like ESPN or Netflix, that require a separate user account.
    "If you choose to link this account with your Xbox Live account, we confirm key data points across the accounts by sharing data such as your name, address, email address, and date of birth with the partner," Microsoft said. "In this TOU update, customers agree to allow Microsoft to share this information in this manner."
    Microsoft's current Xbox Live TOU, effective July 2013, states that the company can share certain personal data points with partners, though the updated TOU appears to broaden this.
    The new Xbox Live TOU also addresses account security. Microsoft's new terms ask users to commit to keeping their contact information up to date and secure.
    "Protecting your account from unauthorized access and fraud is a top priority for us. It helps keep Xbox Live safer and more secure for everyone," Microsoft said.
    Microsoft also advised users to make sure their account security proofs are valid and accessible. The updated Xbox Live TOU will roll out later this week.
    Microsoft said earlier this month that, "We do not collect information to share or sell. You are fully in control of your personal data. Your privacy is important to us."
    The Xbox One launches on November 22 for $500.
    http://www.gamespot.com/articles/mic.../1100-6415826/

This is a sad day for gamers. While the circus that is the gaming media has you fighting over Battlefield 4 screenshots, you just got slipped a mickey. Not cool.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Would not be surprised if PSN's TOS was the same/similar. Would not be surprised if it wasn't either.

In any case Privacy + tech is, sadly, a thing of the past.
    Be Together - Not the same.

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Um If you link to Facebook or Twitter obviously they will require those conditions in other to share? I dunno, Sony's MIGHT also be the same

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    Would not be surprised if PSN's TOS was the same/similar. Would not be surprised if it wasn't either.

In any case Privacy + tech is, sadly, a thing of the past.
    Yeah me either. Wouldn't surprise me one bit. I hate this $#@!. That's just the dirty way that the internet has went sadly. Just a way for corporations to make more money of its consumers.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Look, the simple fact is that the internet may as well be called NSAnet . This is a sneaky move though, not cool. Let's see what the competition does.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Basically the same thing that happens with just about every account you make with every online service you use. So if I link my facebook account with Live, I have to agree to let them share the info. Duh. Nothing new here.

Counting Mod
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Basically the same thing that happens with just about every account you make with every online service you use. So if I link my facebook account with Live, I have to agree to let them share the info. Duh. Nothing new here.
    Sharing is fine because they have to for linking. But it's just a matter of what they will do with the information once you have authorized the terms. But wouldn't they have to share for services such as Amazon Prime and Netflix now?

overstepping the mark
    PSN ID
    SHAFT_N_BALLS
    Items User name style
    I'll just stick to making $#@! up on my accounts

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Ok... I was wrong. Happy?

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    It won't really be any different than the same thing that was updated in July. It's just being a little more specific to broaden the sharing. Right now, if you have a Live account, they share your details with partners that you agree to. This is basically the same type of thread we had back when the last TOS was updated.

World will end now that they can still share the same data lol.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    They will monetize the data. Thats the end game. All about the green.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    aka "share data"

It's already happening now, and this update will continue doing the same.

Master Sage
    I dug this up ages ago. Terms of use covers everything from not being able to sue to Kinect will spy on you if you press OK.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    This isn't a big deal. The same thing happened with xbox360, social media sites, and services like netflix as well.

Administrator
    If you're connected to the internet, your data is being shared... whether you want it to be or not. The only way to avoid this is to not go online... or use debit/credit cards... basically you would need to go live on a farm.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Um, actually, you can go an opt out of this now, and the new one as well.

https://live.xbox.com/en-US/MyXbox/C...n-US%2fAccount

Last edited by F34R; 10-30-2013 at 00:43.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    If you're connected to the internet, your data is being shared... whether you want it to be or not. The only way to avoid this is to not go online... or use debit/credit cards... basically you would need to go live on a farm.
    Pretty much.
    Be Together - Not the same.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    This isn't a big deal. The same thing happened with xbox360, social media sites, and services like netflix as well.
    not a big deal at all.

bbbut.... so many people got so much to hide.

Thread Information