Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder

EDGE: PS4 vs Xbox One: why Microsoft's console is the superior multimedia box....

Our series of PS4 Vs Xbox One features continues with our verdict on how each console's entertainment services compare.

Xbox One
    Microsoft attracted flak when it chose to focus on non-gaming features for Xbox Oneís debut. It has since somewhat redressed the balance, but still wants Xbox One to the absolute centre of your living room.

Chief among its strategies is the ability to integrate your TV by plugging a set-top box into the consoleís HDMI in port. This, along with Skype, streaming services such as HBO, ESPN and Netflix, and a Blu-ray drive are all controllable through Kinectís improved voice recognition and Xbox Oneís clean UI.

PlayStation 4
    While PS4 owners will require a PS Plus subscription for online play, very little else will be behind a paywall. Unlike Xbox One Ė which requires a Live Subscription for any online activity, plus game recording and sharing Ė streaming services such as Hulu, LoveFilm and Netflix, and party chat will be available to all PS4 owners.

Sonyís redesigned XMB interface is less cluttered, though it still doesnít feel as intuitive as Xbox Oneís UI. One nice touch, however, is the ability to switch to motion control when typing by clicking the right stick. Itís a surprisingly intuitive alternative to navigating by D-pad.

Sony has also redesigned its Music Unlimited service, offering users a global library of over 22 million songs that can be browsed and listened to without having to leave your game. PS4 may have a reduced offering when it comes to media content, but what it does have will be open to all and additive to its primary focus: games.

If you want a multimedia box and donít mind Kinectís insidious side, Xbox One is the clear winner.
    http://m.edge-online.com/features/ps...ultimedia-box/

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    So, if i want games i should get a PS4 right?

3. Likes Kizaru likes this post
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    My TV does most of those non gaming services too and no need to pay the TV manufacturer to use them.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBreezyBB View Post
    lol.....that's what I read.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

6. Likes mistercrow, dondidit likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    I'm interested in seeing how these features sell consoles for MS.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    TEST SUBJECT 83
    Why would I rather use an Xbox than my smart TV? My TV works perfectly! I have no need to talk to my tv.
    I'm not the kind of person that likes to talk to inanimate objects, or to wave my hands about to do what a simple push of a button with one finger instead of your whole arm could do.
    MS insists that pressing buttons on remotes is the worst thing ever and such a burden in the living room. Pressing a button to get to games, and TV is blasphamy! Hopefully you can just use a remote to navigate everything, because if there is anything that requires you to speak or else it won't function, that will be an utter failure. Sometimes people have to be quiet and can't talk to a machine. Like in the middle of the night in a shared house, or in a room with a spouse or sibling. I think MS would be better off advertising all those features being controlled normally and sell a bad ass "regular" remote that looks nice and sleek, people don't hate remotes like MS is telling you. Then market the voice and motion as a bonus alternative, but don't make it sound like its motion and voice or nothing.
    MS are slowly working they're way back up. I've been watching the best sellers on Amazon for the past few months now and the XBO standard edition has been in the top 20 for months now. It may have just now dropped out of the top 20.
    Will see how it all pans out in a couple weeks.

Superior Member
    Translation:

If you want next gen games, you go to PS4

If you want TV TV TV SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS, then Xbone is for you

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    All I need from my gaming console is a media center app to stream MY stuff from my laptop. I won't be paying, nor have I ever, for any media services. But yeah, if you want media services, XB1 looks like your go to machine as it was built for this purpose.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Peregrin8X View Post
    Translation:

ah, you mad at that article bro? It's just saying that MS has the edge in entertainment services. It should when you look at the price and what it offers. They aren't exactly a slouch in the games department either.

Forum Sage
    And so the roles have reversed! People use to say this about the PS3 before it launched! (Mainly because of the inclusion of blu-ray)

@sub -- whatever edge Micrsoft has services wise, they have it behind a separate paywall. Sony may not have all the services but the ones that they do have aren't behind PlayStation Plus.
    Last edited by sainraja; 10-30-2013 at 16:18.

13. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    I'm just going to buy one of those new Smart TV's and a PS4.

Boom, Supercharged Xbone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. Likes mistercrow, TEST SUBJECT 83 likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Translation:

Still translating the pre-e3 conference?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    ah, you mad at that article bro? It's just saying that MS has the edge in entertainment services. It should when you look at the price and what it offers. They aren't exactly a slouch in the games department either.
    The price isn't for the services. The price is for the peripheral. Paywall doesn't equate to better services either.
    Quote Originally Posted by sainraja View Post
    And so the roles have reversed! People use to say this about the PS3 before it launched! (Mainly because of the inclusion of blu-ray)

@sub -- whatever edge Micrsoft has services wise, they have it behind a separate paywall. Sony may not have all the services but the ones that they do have aren't behind PlayStation Plus.
    This is the kicker. It may have services, but it's all behind a paywall. If I didn't want to play online, I wouldn't pay for Gold subscription to use features I can get elsewhere for free.

17. Likes mistercrow, sainraja likes this post
    Superior Member
    me mad? lol nope (but keep believing that if it makes u feel better champ)

its obvious which console was built for games and which console was built for multimedia.

title of article should read:

EDGE: THIS IS YOUR NEXT PAYWALL BOX

Forum Sage
    me mad? lol nope (but keep believing that if it makes u feel better champ)

its obvious which console was built for games and which console was built for multimedia.

title of article should read:

EDGE: THIS IS YOUR NEXT PAYWALL BOX
    It's obvious to me that both were built for games and multimedia. People still play PS and xbox.

The price isn't for the services. The price is for the peripheral. Paywall doesn't equate to better services either.
    Doesn't matter. The article was about comparing features not the price for services.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 10-30-2013 at 16:59.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    It's obvious to me that both were built for games and multimedia. People still play PS and xbox.
    MS presented it as a MM box first and game console 2nd. It's the image that stuck with the xbone. Sony presented the ps4 as a game console first and MM box 2nd and that's the image that stuck with the ps4.

-------------------
    If the xbone was to replace cable boxes(like the pre-reveal rumors suggested) then I could see it having a major selling point to millions without any debate.

There's still another issue the xbone tv feature faces...
    First off: all that TV stuff Microsoft were proud to show off in its conference? You actually need to buy a separate device in order for that to work
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2013/05/xbo...parate-device/

Does anyone know if this is still the case? I haven't heard much else about it since May.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 10-30-2013 at 16:55.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

21. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Superior Member
    your wholly missing the point

Sony all along has been touting PS4 as a GAMES CONSOLE FIRST, while MS in their arrogance focused primarily on Multimedia from the beginning, then later on began to show what the xbone was capable of games wise.

@another poster that quoted me, umm e3 came and went a long time ago, yet the message from the xbone camp remains the same, but go ahead and act like they've changed
    Last edited by Peregrin8X; 10-30-2013 at 16:56.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Translation:

What if i want both?

i gave my ps3 sometime ago to my son and have been using my 360 as my rare gaming also media device...........

i lost interest in gaming early this year, been waiting for one these to take my interest, still not sure which one to get!!
    Last edited by 33x; 10-30-2013 at 17:00.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    What if i want both?

i gave my ps3 sometime ago to my son and have been using my 360 as my rare gaming also media device...........

i lost interest in gaming early this year, been waiting for one these to take my interest, still not sure which one to get!!
    well im not necessarily saying u cant have both. what im saying is one console is focused on videogames (yet can be a media hub), while the other console is focused on being a media hub (yet can play videogames). you can have both.

Super Elite
    Translation:

Oh don't forget 20 million fps games and lack of originality of home made games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] In the darkest abyss I still see you with my perfect sharigan young jedi!

Forum Sage
    your wholly missing the point

Sony all along has been touting PS4 as a GAMES CONSOLE FIRST, while MS in their arrogance focused primarily on Multimedia from the beginning, then later on began to show what the xbone was capable of games wise.
    Of course because it is a games console first. Same with xbox. Neither console is mainly being bought for multimedia. People who play games also watch tv. It's not a bad combination.

@another poster that quoted me, umm e3 came and went a long time ago, yet the message from the xbone camp remains the same, but go ahead and act like they've changed
    The message seems to be that xbox is a all around entertainment device. Same with ps4. You can market the device anyway you want but it doesn't change the fact they are both gaming consoles. There isn't a huge difference between the two.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid

Difference is when Xbox 360 & PS3 was new TVs were not as smart and didn't have Netflix and ESPN or Skype built in so you had to have an external device o get that sort of thing on your TV.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Difference is when Xbox 360 & PS3 was new TVs were not as smart and didn't have Netflix and ESPN or Skype built in so you had to have an external device o get that sort of thing on your TV.
    yup
    surprised MS didnt see this coming
    they got beaten to the punch

Forum Sage

The article isn't about what's behind a paywall though. It a comparison of the multimedia they both provide. Whether or not the paywall is their doesn't change the facts that they are offering a more robust multimedia experience.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBreezyBB View Post
    /thread. Yep...thats pretty much it.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Yep exactly. My Samsung Smart TV has all that stuff.

Thread Information