Latest PSU headlines:

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Both of these things make no sense at all (along with no support for external HDD's)

And to think, mikice tried to convince me that CD's weren't dead, when sony itself (remember Sony BMG) doesn't even support CD playback (I guess ripping is out of the question too) in the PS4.

Hell they didn't even give you the consolation that this could be changed down the line.

Update: No MP3 support either.
    Wow didn't catch that no mp3 support seriously?! So much for a "update" that'd allow us to play music just garbage.
    Last edited by vnmus; 10-31-2013 at 05:56.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WretchedSoul21 View Post
    Shu, gotta love the man.

Yeah certainly hope that actually look into this. First real disappointment i've had for the ps4 up to this point. If nothing eventuates will probably get a small android system or something.............Wait, perhaps they can shove DLNA on the Vita TV? If they did that would get the the Vita TV over a android device.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    With enough demand I am sure it's something Sony will sort out eventually!

The reply for Shuhei above was legendary, top man!
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    >1TB 2.5 inch hdd's tend to have poor track records for reliability.

This is the best drive you can buy today for a ps3/ps4 without being ridiculously expensive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo

Although it would probably be foolish to upgrade when you first get your ps4, since new, higher capacity HDD's will likely be released in the next 1-2 years. 500GB should be sufficient for the first few years.
    Lol man having to download all my gaming library on the ps3 was a ****ing mess sorting through the downloaded list. HOPEFULLY a 12.5 height will fit so I wouldn't have to buy a new drive any time soon. If not then yes, I'll have to wait it out till ssd's get cheaper (more storage)

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Honestly I wasn't surprised by all this confirmed information.

USER INTERFACE

When I first saw the finished interface, I didn't see any video playback features or icons in the "Media Bar" or "Home Screen" tiles at all... I knew that it would almost certainly without a doubt lack these features.

Dual Shock 3 When Sony Confirmed the DS3 controller would not be compatible, I immediately knew the PS3 Media Remote would not be compatible at all, and I pretty much knew that this was the way sony was heading with the PS4, I knew that lack of a remote controller for PS4 pretty much instantly confirms they're not interested in bringing multimedia functionality to the console.

Price considering the PS4 is almost half the price of the PS3 when it launched (In Australia) I basically look at the PS3 like I paid $499 for the gaming system and $499 for the blu-ray player and multimedia functionality, since the PS4 is $549 down under with 8GB RAM, 8 core processor I pretty much put it down to there's no inbuilt pricing structures for Multimedia technology licenses etc Zilch... if it did the PS4 would probably be much more expensive that's at least what I'm thinking..even though cost goes down over time...weird.

It Only Plays Games

Makes me take the Wii U a little more seriously... Sony is essentially offering a better graphical experience and better online service... but the Nintendo is still a lot of fun... on the other hand it makes XBOX ONE the only next gen system that DOES EVERYTHING... which is strange.

PS3 WILL CONTINUE TO LIVE ON

Because the PS3 is so well built and still holds up well in gaming, entertainment and online functionality YOU might want to consider keeping your PS3 next to your PS4 so you can record TV, stream DLNA content and watch your blu-ray movies with a remote control.

MUSIC AND ENTERTAINMENT LOCKED TO SONY ONLY SERVICES

Sony has become very aggressive in their studio and entertainment licensing divisions, PS3 lost a lot of money over the years and cost Sony entertainment divisions lots of money to keep the platform going.... it's profitable now but is way off recouping its losses, it may never recover the entire expense of the PS3 if software doesn't continue selling for the next 4 years.... So even though PS4 is powerful and new it's still just a basic gaming computer without all the bells and whistles...nothing more nothing less except it doesn't play anything but games.

I highly doubt they will release a patch that will allow you to playback your own music and video files in the future, Andrew House said the PS4 can not fail. That means Sony needs complete control of the entire entertainment industry.... they want you to purchase movies and games through the playstation store, the want you to buy their co-developed Blu-ray disc movies, they want you to subscribe to playstation plus, they want you to own a vita... and they want you to continue using your PS3 and buy digital content through the PS3 whether it be games, movies and DLC.

Now for Music... they want you to use Music Unlimited because they have complete control over the entire platform... they don't have to worry about you ripping your friends CD to your system.. or downloading and playing back illegal downloads.. you must pay for a service which gives you inferior quality music streams and doesn't have most of the music we all listen to... everyone in some shape or form loves indy music which you can't get through mainstream services most of the time.

CONCLUSION
    It's a shame but I saw it coming... when a german gaming magazine (unsure of the name) made the discovery that the PS4 had no CD reading abilities I knew music wouldn't be an option on PS4.

Conclusion it's a HD PS2
    Last edited by chriharr; 10-31-2013 at 11:12.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    I see your:

Quote Originally Posted by WretchedSoul21 View Post

and raise you:

..good things could be happening

Though, now I'm curious about the web browser.. does anyone happen to know if it can be used ingame? I use steams all the time when I get stuck in a game. Would be amazing for trophy ***** runs too..

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

7. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    I see your:

and raise you:

Though, now I'm curious about the web browser.. does anyone happen to know if it can be used ingame? I use steams all the time when I get stuck in a game. Would be amazing for trophy ***** runs too..

PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Oh damn i never thought this possible.
    I've got a 2TB HDD hooked up to my PS3 full of movies / mp3s / pictures etc....

Guess i'll just put the PS4 right next to it but still - pretty lame Sony

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    The issue here is not the lack of Mp3 playback or the lack of DLNA, it's about taking away some basic features from the console. You don't know what could be removed tomorrow!

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    MagicManGSC
    I'm going to cancel my PS4 pre-order this weekend. There are still plenty of PS3 games I want to play, and I don't want to support Sony shoving their services down our throats.

If Sony changes this, then I'll get one.

12. Likes 33x likes this post
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    I see your:

and raise you:

They should known better by not forcing us to use their crappy services. I'm glad they know. Well at least we hoped so.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Disclaimer:Now the VIDEO playback issue is unknown at the moment, Maybe its just music.

Look, I know I'm a big playstation fan. But stripping basic features is cynical money grabbing and we should stand up against it. None of this "oh yeah, I'm sure it's just an oversight" "I'm sure they will add in time with a FW update".

This wasn't a mistake or an oversight, It is a deliberate part of their business strategy. Business strategy right now is organisational cohesion, Unity via unification of AIMS and Goals, translates into the operational tactic of no MP3s allowed to benefit Sony music [BMG] division, at the detriment of customer choice. This isn't a smart tactic because they are not encouraging us to join Music Unlimited through incentives, where they win us over like they did with PS+ and multiplayer. Instead this is the bruteforce approach where customers have no choice, now it's music unlimited or nothing.

The only thing that can repel this is customer backlash, a VEHEMENT backlash. This is why the competition from Microsoft is a necessary evil. Honest competition drives innovation and always benefits customers. If Xbox One dies this gen, I hope the steambox rises to challenge Playstation so that services and devices don't stagnate.

My PS3 is currently what i use for playing games and video playback of blurays and my bluray library that has been ripped to an external hard drive. I use it to listen to audio lectures. I use it for BBC iplayer, ITV player, 4OD, Five onDemand, Netflix, Lovefilm and so on. It is the ultimate entertainment system, I was hoping PS4 would improve upon this, Not REGRESS in to a PS2 plus the SONY sanctioned streaming services and blurays only media set up.

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    I never used the music feature, but for people that want to play their songs on the PS4, this sucks. There is no way I would ever get Music unlimited to play songs that I already have. That is kind of stupid. To be honest, this doesn't stop me one bit from buying a PS4, but I do wish Sony would support the ability to play music on the PS4 without forcing music unlimited. which by the way is overpriced for a music media service.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    Not enough to make me cancel my preorder, But I can understand how this would be a disappointment to some people. Hopefully they won't do this with MP4's too.

Ultimate Veteran
    thats cool the game just cached to the hard drive and no mandatory install like the x1

Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Does this mean those mp3s would be playable in-game though? 2 different stories nice to see they're listening though and rightly so tons of folks are pissed

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by vnmus View Post
    Does this mean those mp3s would be playable in-game though? 2 different stories nice to see they're listening though and rightly so tons of folks are pissed
    I would hope they would listen to that portion as well and let you use MP3's for custom soundtracks, but only time will tell.

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    I can't believe the no mp3/mp4 playback!?!??! I just got a Bravia and even that ****ing plays them both! And I use the music playback on my 360 all the time. Playing COD/BF or PES with your music over the top is a lot more enjoyable.

Boo.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by darky89 View Post
    I can't believe the no mp3/mp4 playback!?!??! I just got a Bravia and even that ****ing plays them both! And I use the music playback on my 360 all the time. Playing COD/BF or PES with your music over the top is a lot more enjoyable.

Boo.
    I don't think they have mentioned anything on the MP4's yet, but as of right now MP3's are a no go...hopefully Sony will listen to the masses and add the ability into the system, I know I use they all the time!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    No custom soundtracks on MLB the Show makes freak a mad boy! I'm seriously thinking about canceling my preorder. Which is insane considering the white hot hype I had for the PS4. Now I'm just excited.

Currently Playing: ​ Skyrim
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Beyond: Two Souls

Master Sage
    Though, now I'm curious about the web browser.. does anyone happen to know if it can be used ingame?
    Yes, it can be used ingame. That was mentioned in the first faq that got released back around Feb 20.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    nordost
    I only use my ps3 to play games, watch blu rays and stream netflix so none of that really effects me but I'm pissed for you guys that do use it. C'mon sony!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    If they had a legitimate reason for it not be in there I could understand (like Backwards Compatibility), but those are very basic functions that should of carried over from the PS3!

Super Elite
    Yep, very bad move. Very surprised by this.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    It is all coming back, but it's understandable people are mad that it's not available day 1

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Thread Information