Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    I think their biggest mistake in a marketable aspect. They shouldn't be using that Nintendo Direct as a way to reveal things. They could but I would want to reveal the all the goodies to the world from one big show. Second, they need to finally announce another major title that they know its something else than Super Mario. It'd be nice they come out in E3 next year and they reveal something like Metroid; Nintendo's first online FPS game.

Also, their online shop is young and looks great. They need to continue working on their digital market and load up quicker on their virtual console.

People just need to learn more about their new console, its just not OUT THERE. Its a shame to be honest because the Wii U is definitely a fun console.

There's something else I wanted to point out but its probably not a good idea to even mention it.

3DS: 4613-6960-4293

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by robvandam111 View Post
    I think their biggest mistake in a marketable aspect. They shouldn't be using that Nintendo Direct as a way to reveal things. They could but I would want to reveal the all the goodies to the world from one big show. Second, they need to finally announce another major title that they know its something else than Super Mario. It'd be nice they come out in E3 next year and they reveal something like Metroid; Nintendo's first online FPS game.

Also, their online shop is young and looks great. They need to continue working on their digital market and load up quicker on their virtual console.

People just need to learn more about their new console, its just not OUT THERE. Its a shame to be honest because the Wii U is definitely a fun console.

There's something else I wanted to point out but its probably not a good idea to even mention it.
    Speaking of the online marketplace, they pissed me off this week. Europe got a link to the past and we didn't. Are they actively trying to alienate their fanbase? I have the Wii version and wanted to pay the 1.50 to upgrade it.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Typical guy View Post
    Speaking of the online marketplace, they pissed me off this week. Europe got a link to the past and we didn't. Are they actively trying to alienate their fanbase? I have the Wii version and wanted to pay the 1.50 to upgrade it.
    I'm still waiting for them to announce a Gamepad signal strength device that will allow the Gamepad to go beyond the wall. They're definitely taking their time with the virtual console, I have been wanting Donkey Kong 64 for years...

Forum Overseer
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Oh yea, I'm sure it creates a spiral effect. it is already likely making people be more cautious. although, it seems like people weren't ready to buy it from the start.

Nintendo is unpredictable, it's more likely that they will stay in the console business but if there's a chance that they ever left...it would definitely be sad and a bad day for the gaming industry...at the same time...i really like some of their games and it's possible that if they did decide to exit (seeing that they aren't exactly spending much into the future of their home consoles), they might keep making games for other consoles.

if anything happened to their home console line, it would be affect the Japanese developers. I really don't think they would consider making games for the Xbox 1 or PS4 instead.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    What Nintendo needs to do is just make a damn console and stop trying to be clever beavers, there is a point where nintendo has good ideas but they take it to the next level and it never turns out. Nintendo is very good at making really bad controllers, I hated the N64 controllers but liked the games, Gamecube controller was "kittywampus", I didn't like the WiiMote, and I sure as hell see no sense in the controller used for the WiiU. while I understand why they went that route, I don't like it. Just come out with a good console with a nice controller and people will freakin buy it. The last console that had all the good things in one package was the SNES. o_O
    Last edited by Demi_God; 12-14-2013 at 12:38.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Oh yea, I'm sure it creates a spiral effect. it is already likely making people be more cautious. although, it seems like people weren't ready to buy it from the start.

Nintendo is unpredictable, it's more likely that they will stay in the console business but if there's a chance that they ever left...it would definitely be sad and a bad day for the gaming industry...at the same time...i really like some of their games and it's possible that if they did decide to exit (seeing that they aren't exactly spending much into the future of their home consoles), they might keep making games for other consoles.

if anything happened to their home console line, it would be affect the Japanese developers. I really don't think they would consider making games for the Xbox 1 or PS4 instead.
    What about PC?

Quote Originally Posted by Demi_God View Post
    What Nintendo needs to do is just make a damn console and stop trying to be clever beavers, there is a point where nintendo has good ideas but they take it to the next level and it never turns out. Nintendo is very good at making really bad controllers, I hated the N64 controllers but liked the games, Gamecube controller was "kittywampus", I didn't like the WiiMote, and I sure as hell see no sense in the controller used for the WiiU. while I understand why they went that route, I don't like it. Just come out with a good console with a nice controller and people will freakin buy it. The last console that had all the good things in one package was the SNES. o_O
    Pretty much agree with this. The first Playstation controller is basically a evolution of the SNES controller and they have been improving that design ever since. Nintendo on the other hand tries something almost completely different each time. The N64 controller was really a WTF at first but i got used to it eventually. Oh and $#@! that hard ass analog stick.

Gamecube controller looked like someone forced the N64 controller to have sex with the Dualshock and we got this weird baby. Wii pro-controller really wasnt bad but it didnt come in the Wii box so i was forced to use the dreaded Wiimote on too many games. For the Wii U the analog sticks are way way too high and close to the shoulder buttons so i just couldnt get used to it. Havent tried the WiiU Pro controller but i see it has the high analog sticks as well so i dont even want to bother.

Ultimate Veteran
    I thought the GameCube controller was great. N64's controller was awful though. I read it was one reason Sakamoto didn't bother to make a Metroid for the console.

On-topic: Do you guys think games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, X and Bayonetta 2 releasing next year will really turn things around for the console?

Personally, I can't see them going the way of Sega because their handhelds sell so well.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 12-15-2013 at 00:18.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    I thought the GameCube controller was great. N64's controller was awful though. I read it was one reason why Sakamoto didn't bother to make a Metroid for the console.

On-topic: Do you guys think games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, X and Bayonetta 2 will turn things around for the Wii U?
    For me the only interesting Wii U game shown so far is X. The last Kart and Smash i liked were the N64 ones. Hated Bayonetta 1 so no interest in 2. Dont care about the new Donkey Kong Country im rather over the series and wished Retro did something else. Im still waiting to see what Zelda U offers but Nintendo just doesnt grab me anymore.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    What about PC?
    i'd think PC was their last option. japanese don't even touch that now...they wouldn't care about it then. i think they'd just move to the handheld scene (which they already are at as well for all i know). it will definitely hurt them but there's always Sony...they still have some japanese roots in them left.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Effekt
    Items Metal Gear SolidTommy VercettiLegend of ZeldaBlizzardAtlus
    I really hope they bounce back, because to be honest PS4 vs Xbone only would be really lame, they're pretty much the same thing. The Wii U mixes up the platform wars because it's a completely different experience when you play their games. I like being able to play sony exclusives and then switch it up with some nintendo exclusives. If they do pull a SEGA move, I hope they at least finish the Zelda for the Wii U, and maybe just go full force on their portable market.

Also, N64 controller does suck, and so those the Wii one, the Wii U one isn't really that bad.
    BUT the Gamecube controller?! Really? Have you actually fully played a game with it? Because once you get use to it, it's got to be one of the best controllers ever made, other than the PS4 controller, I really freakin love it.

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Black View Post
    I thought the GameCube controller was great. N64's controller was awful though. I read it was one reason Sakamoto didn't bother to make a Metroid for the console.

On-topic: Do you guys think games like Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros. for Wii U, X and Bayonetta 2 releasing next year will really turn things around for the console?

Personally, I can't see them going the way of Sega because their handhelds sell so well.
    In a word (TLDR): No.
    Here's my thinking on this (keeping in mind I'm referring only to the ability of these games to sell new consoles and not sell to people that already have consoles). Donkey Kong Country is pretty niche and won't sell many consoles. Bayonetta 2 is the same. X is also niche and will only sell consoles to the hardest core JRPG enthusiast that just can't possibly miss a good one.

That leaves the two big games on the list that I think you were really asking about. Smash Bros is very popular with Nintendo enthusiasts and people that like brawlers (I do not like that genre). With the Wii it sold about as many copies as Mario Galaxy 1 did so I wouldn't expect a Smash Bros U to push more consoles than 3D world did. That leaves Mario Kart. That one is extremely popular so it could push console sales. For Wii it sold about 3X as many as Mario Galaxy did so it could push about 1-2 million Wii U's out the door. That's a lot for one game but I don't think it's enough. They want 9 million by the end of March 2014. So what will they be looking for by end of March 2015? Probably 15-20 million Wii U install base? None of their games can push the number of consoles needed with the demand we're seeing.

If Nintendo wants to stay in the home console market they're going to have to open their wallets and take a page from MS's playbook. You won't be able to play Dead Rising or Titanfall on PS4. They did this with Bayonetta 2 but they need to do this with A LOT of games and big hitters at that. They can't focus on just these sort of super niche games by Japanese developers. They need to go to EA and pay them a billion bucks to have Dragon Age 3 exclusive (or some other WRPG). They need to get some shooters exclusive etc.

A really odd thing has happened over the last year. While I've been reading several forums and seen the big Nintendo fans defend Nintendo by saying the other consoles are "just for dudebro shooters" or some such nonsense, the fact is that those other consoles have a game variety that Nintendo could only dream of. If you look at Sony, they've even got in house western devs making games like Infamous and Uncharted. They've got Santa Monica studios putting out some of the best games of last gen IMO. Meanwhile Nintendo has a couple of development studios they opened in the US and they've got them making the likes of Mario Vs Donkey Kong. I'm not saying that game isn't a good game, I'm saying that they don't make western games and they want to sell in a western market.

I don't know about you guys (but I'd guess most feel the same), I like a lot of different types of games. Where's Nintendo's Beyond Two Souls? Where is The Walking Dead from Tell-tale? Not every mature game is "dudebro". Bioshock Infinite? Skyrim? I could go on but you guys know the list.

While the "dudebro consoles" for "hardcore gamers" (according to Nintendo fans) have many times the games and genres, Nintendo has the same games and genres they've always had. In some kind of topsy-turvy switcheroo the Wii U has become the hardcore console for hardcore Nintendo fans while the average gamers are at the other platforms.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by robvandam111 View Post
    I'm still waiting for them to announce a Gamepad signal strength device that will allow the Gamepad to go beyond the wall. They're definitely taking their time with the virtual console, I have been wanting Donkey Kong 64 for years...
    Isn't that a RARE game? It will never be released on the Virutal Console.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    robvandam111
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post

Donkey Kong Country 1-3 are also by RARE. They're in the Virtual Console.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Nintendo has publishing rights to it

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Nintendo are the underdog and a lot of people like the underdog... However Nintendo seems to just not care anymore.. I think they've either lost their $#@! altogether ...or they have some tricks up their sleeve but are remaining secretive.

We need familiar franchises.... IMHO we need the following games.

*Wave Race it's been 12 year since Blue Storm we need a high def wave race with online.
    * Animal Crossing title for Wii U
    * Metroid ( something new in HD)
    * Pokemon Snap title for Wii U
    * 1080 snowboarding HD for Wii U
    * GameCube Virtual Console titles
    * Support for two Wii U game pads
    * Super Mario Sunshine HD but heavily discounted

Any of that stuff would make me happier.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Get more good games on the console (AKA like the 3DS) and it'll become a must buy.

Super Elite

Anecdotally, it looks like they sold a fair amount of Wii U's during the holiday's. I'm wondering how many they sold. We should know in a couple of weeks.

Forum Overseer
    i'm rooting for Nintendo. at least it's not the Wii. they're trying something new and good.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0
    Quote Originally Posted by chriharr View Post
    Nintendo are the underdog and a lot of people like the underdog... However Nintendo seems to just not care anymore.. I think they've either lost their $#@! altogether ...or they have some tricks up their sleeve but are remaining secretive.

We need familiar franchises.... IMHO we need the following games.

*Wave Race it's been 12 year since Blue Storm we need a high def wave race with online.
    * Animal Crossing title for Wii U
    * Metroid ( something new in HD)
    * Pokemon Snap title for Wii U
    * 1080 snowboarding HD for Wii U
    * GameCube Virtual Console titles
    * Support for two Wii U game pads
    * Super Mario Sunshine HD but heavily discounted

Any of that stuff would make me happier.
    They need new IPs and better 3rd party support too, they wouldn't be struggling if they met those two things already

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Ultimate Veteran
    It might be a good idea to change the thread title to Wii U Sales and Numbers Thread.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Do you love GTA? Check out my general discussion thread here!

Super Elite

Quote Originally Posted by MartyRules View Post
    They need new IPs and better 3rd party support too, they wouldn't be struggling if they met those two things already
    That's the problem though. They have little to no third party support. Most people buy a Nintendo console as a 2nd console and play their third party games on their main console. The few people that buy only Nintendo consoles are really missing out since it's not cost effective to port everything over.

Since most people buy a Nintendo console as a secondary platform only, it's much easier for people to wait for it's price to come down. It's been on sale all over for $250 for the 32gb bundles which I think is why they're selling better. $300 is just a little too high for most people to spend on what is basically a Mario and Zelda machine.

Dedicated Member
    Yeah, waiting for the Nintendo DS4K, 4DS, or just TS4. There will be a 4 in there, lol.

I think they will look at things like the JXD S7800, and their Wii U controller.. and go OH!
    Maybe it will only be a 5 in screen though, who knows.

I'm guessing it will also Doc to a TV power/internet hub which will give it wired and 4K upscaling options and a separate controller. Or it can tether via WiFi for direct video feed.

Nintendo will merge their handheld and console business, or let console rot.

They need to concentrate on mobile and might consider figuring out the US wireless market.

What would you rather have:
    Another Dual Screen Mobile system or a larger Touchscreen system like their Wii U remote , PS Vita, and the JXD S7800 android gamepad tablet?
    Do you want another Nintendo home console or a Mobile unit with a dock to continue playing the same games at home?

Presume this has a high end ARM with graphics, equal to the latest iPad/iPhone chip or very close.
    Say a Qualcomm Snapdragon 810 with 6 Gig of ram 3 years from now (it's Nintendo, I gotta shim RAM after all, lol).
    Sleeping very soundly on a Saturday morning I was dreaming
    I was Al Capone
    There's a rumour going round, gotta clear outta town
    I'm smelling like a dry fish bone
    Here come the Law, gonna break down the door, gonna carry me
    away once more
    Never, never, never get it any more
    Gotta get away from this stone cold floor
    Crazy
    Stone cold crazy, you know

Finally You Are Free
    Someone reported that the thread should be sticked. I agreed.

To keep my post relevant: what would you guys say is the biggest factor explaining the poor sales of the console; hardware, weak third-party support, the pricing, the poor advertising, etc? I personally think the advertising may be the biggest fault, as the Wii sold well because of the way it was advertised to people as being so accessible and fun. Not to mention the Wii survived plenty well with a godawful shovelware library.

Meanwhile, well over a year later, many people are still confused as to what exactly the Wii-U even is. I read so many stories about how people got Wii's for their Christmas instead of Wii-U's, because their parents or grandparents were confused and took the cheaper system, or perhaps thought the Wii-U was some controller addon thing. Hell, during the first E3 showing of the system even many gamers were puzzled. Nintendo totally dropped the ball on representing the product and what it really offers.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I'll go with the price + games... third party. Two biggest reasons right there.

Forum Overseer
    i don't think it's the advertisement as much. yes, they're not advertising but it may be because they know they screwed up. i actually don’t remember seeing Wii ads until I very well knew that it was popular. I think Wii was mostly word-of-the-mouth and it was the first console that came in like a huge fad (since PS1/N64) in my life time yet. I heard more about the Wii from people than ads or publications.

Nintendo didn’t have to do much in order to get the ball rolling. They tried to do more but failed (Wii Music). In the end, they’re not doing anything different now. The Wii was overpriced, the Wii-U is overpriced. They both don’t have 3rd party support. Both times, Nintendo has not cared much about first party, not enough to make a splash. The only difference is that they don’t have shovelware because Wii-U is not popular and they likely don’t have many B-rated games either due to the low sales. Their strategy was never long-term. They are too narrow-minded to get that.

I read so many articles back then where these “intellectuals” were talking about how the Wii will come out with a HD version and take over the HD market lol and how Nintendo knows what they’re doing.

If only Nintendo reinvested their profits. Ideas sometimes are not good enough; you need a proper infrastructure to go with it. That’s how business works.
    Last edited by Omar; 01-06-2014 at 14:47.

Thread Information