Latest PSU headlines:

Thread: Free PS+

Apprentice

Free PS+

Has anyone ever done this? I noticed that Best buy as a bundle that includes a year free PS+ subscription. Couldn't someone just buy the PS3 bundle, and activate the subscription and a day later return the PS3?
    The rock I got my wife was big!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNupe View Post
    Has anyone ever done this? I noticed that Best buy as a bundle that includes a year free PS+ subscription. Couldn't someone just buy the PS3 bundle, and activate the subscription and a day later return the PS3?
    you go that far to save 50$ how cheap are you ?

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    gold106gti
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by BigNupe View Post
    They could but it's an awful lot of hassle just to save a few $
    PSN ID: gold106gti

Twitch ID: Duffman041986

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

Apprentice

You have to open it though, don't they have a restocking fee for such occasions? They would probably check the box to make sure contents are in their too. As also stated, way to much effort!

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    you go that far to save 50$ how cheap are you ?
    Needs all the money to pay for the rock he got the wife.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Needs all the money to pay for the rock he got the wife.
    who says he has a wife?

Power Member
    who says he has a wife?
    He does. Check his avatar and his sig.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    He does. Check his avatar and his sig.
    you didn't get my joke lol

Power Member
    you didn't get my joke lol
    Nobody gets your jokes.

PSN ID
    LegendzX
    Never tried it personally.

But I guess everyone wants the best deal at the end of the day. : P

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    if i had the $250 to buy the bundle in the first place i probably wouldn't miss the 50 bucks for plus.

and im not familiar with best buy's return policies, but i doubt they would go for it.

also im sure you're not the only one to think of this, maybe someone has tried it and they post on here, maybe they will tell us of their experience.

Apprentice
    Not only am I not going to mock OP but I am not wondering why I didn't think of this a LOOOOONG time ago. LOL, only partially joking.
    Plus is very worth it (Sub since it came out, seriously have about 30 PS+ games I've yet to even get to yet) but I'm kind of surprised this isn't rampant. Restocking fee? Even with that you're saving a clean $40+ if there even is one. I've seen those bundles at Wal-Mart and know they just check to see if the item is in there and is the same item. Don't really see them looking for or even asking about PS+ voucher/card. If physical, just scratch it and wipe it perfectly clean and say it came like that.

*I'll admit to one shady move in my day:

In about 2008 I had owned my 60GB PS3 for only 13 months or so. The controller that came with it was acting wonky within the 4 month mark but I just put up with it. Finally, it got to the point where buttons weren't responding, etc. Mind you, not only have I dumped a few grand each generation of Playstation products but bought 3 PS1s, 2 PS2s and my treasured $600 60GB PS3 would YLOD on me after a little over 4 years causing me to buy a Slim in the future. Oh, and with each console I must have bought about 4-6 controllers over their lifetime. Add in adapters, etc and we havn't even hit the games yet! Finally, I am not kidding when I say I take PRISTINE condition and care of not just all of that but anything I put money into so the controller was a factory thing. I don't toss them, drop them, let kids spill stuff on them, etc. The controller just flat out failed on me.
    So.......

I go to the local store and buy a new controller. I get home and see the broken one just sitting there, looking pristine and hardly used (kind of true as a buy a bunch but play far less then the money/items would indicate). It gave me an idea. An illegal idea but an idea. The next day I put the broken controller in the new controller box, went back to the store and played the "just bought this and it doesn't work" card. I played it off as mildly bothered and annoyed but polite. The guy (who looked very manager like) took it out to give it a quick look and without hesitation asked if I wanted a new one or a refund. I took a refund. I felt I deserved it, illegal or not. New controller. No warranty hassle. Short drive. No biggie. I figured the worst they could do was catch me and I'd merely claim to have put the wrong controller back in the box as, again, it looked almost brand new anyway.

So, I wouldn't do anything like that again but I'm surprised this doesn't go on more often. Actually, I bet it does. Enough people have had to think of doing that to have done it. Too easy not to.

* NOT CONDONING ILLEGAL BEHAVIOR OR RIPPING OFF ANY COMPANY AS BOTH ARE WRONG. I, due to my loyalty in cash over the years, felt my almost $700 console controller should work for over a year. Call me nuts. haha

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    most big electronic stores like that have a return policy that states high end electronics (consoles, computers, stereo's etc etc) must not be opened at all for a refund,and you have something like, 30 days after which it becomes an exchange only, or if they are opened, can only be exchanged for another of the same item if something is broken. in which case theyll just swap out the "broken" item from a new box. for example, you bring back the3 PS4 and claim the system itself isnt working, they scan in the serial number on the system, mark it as defective. Open up a new box, scan the new consoles serial number and just give ythe new console, none of the other stuff, so you wouldnt get the paperwork anyway.

Trust me. companies like that know quite a bit about how to avoid being scammed.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a ####load of bubble gum"

Thread Information