View Poll Results: Are you going All Digital or Disc Based this gen?

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • All Digital For Me!

2 5.56%
  • Disc Based (on what I can) For Me!

34 94.44%
Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself

HELP! Going Digital or Disc For This Gen?

I am in need of help here, I am severely torn between going all digital or going disc based (on games that I can) for this generation! Part of me wants to go all digital because of the convenience of not having to jack with discs at all when I play games, I will be able to play the same game on two different PS4 systems at the same and with the spectate mode it would make it much easier to just jump into a friends game that I also currently own having it digitally stored on the drive (again, not having to mess with discs). The other part of me wants to stay with disc based games because I will physically be able to hold what I own in my hand and you will always come across game deals in stores (like the B2G1 at Target), not to mention being able to resell the game at a later date if I choose to...my question to everyone, what are you doing this gen and why? I figured I would of had this sorted out by this point, but unfortunately I haven't!

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    Personal opinion, I would and am going to stay disc based. Main reason being is like you said I much prefer to have the physical copy of a game in my hand and being able to see my collection. Plus if something happens to the system, i.e: gets stolen or breaks down (yes I know that the physical games could get stolen too) then at least you have a copy you can just pop in and play straight away rather than having to wait for them to be downloaded again. That's the way I see it anyway!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Physical for me too. A lot because I like having the product, but also second hand games will do down in price a lot more than the digital versions. I'm just not ready for change!

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Do either of you plan to use the spectate mode so you can jump into a game while someone is playing?

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    Do either of you plan to use the spectate mode so you can jump into a game while someone is playing?
    Probably not, I don't have many friends and the only 1 I do see often isn't planning to buy a PS4 yet lol

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    I am going with Physical. Not because of large game files or anything, just because I'm an old fashion guy. And I've been raised on discs (and cartridges ). And I also love going to midnight releases, so that's always an incentive.

I don't see why people want to go strictly either way though. Especially if you're doing Physical. A mixture of both has always been quite satisfactory.

Quote Originally Posted by Duffman1986 View Post
    Personal opinion, I would and am going to stay disc based. Main reason being is like you said I much prefer to have the physical copy of a game in my hand and being able to see my collection. Plus if something happens to the system, i.e: gets stolen or breaks down (yes I know that the physical games could get stolen too) then at least you have a copy you can just pop in and play straight away rather than having to wait for them to be downloaded again. That's the way I see it anyway!
    What if they steal your discs too?

PSU Live Streamer
    I was torn as you were (I even started that pros/cons thread on the topic), but after much consideration I'll be sticking with discs. Digital prices for console games need to be reduced to reflect PC pricing before I go fully digital. There is no way I'm going to pay full price for a digital game that the PC will get for $X cheaper. Freedom to trade/sell/borrow games being another huge one.

And my largest fear is that one day the servers hosting the digital versions could be shut down, and suddenly you won't have access to them anymore if say your hdd fried and you weren't able to back it up. Knowing I have a copy of the game regardless to what happens to Sony as a corporation is a bit a security blanket to me. On PC its somewhat irrelevant. PC is not a company, it can't go bankrupt. Steam perhaps could, but once games hit pc, they are all over the web for download. But if everything is on Sony's server, and they keep bleeding money in all of their sectors as they have been....whos to say they'll keep the servers on.

Come find me on Twitch.tv!

8. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    What if they steal your discs too?
    4 lines down, go along a little bit and after "or breaks down" you will see I already have that base covered lol

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    KillingSpree0

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    HermesTheGod
    4 lines down, go along a little bit and after "or breaks down" you will see I already have that base covered lol
    Didn't even see it! Gotta start reading the entire posts again!

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyRules View Post
    i was going post this

13. Likes MartyRules likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Some really good points so far! Keep them coming!

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Well I'm in the same boat man. I can't decide either.

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Also with physical copies you can sell them on ebay and other sites when done with them, also trade with other PS4 owners!

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    I just know it is getting close to crunch time and I am having issues making up my mind, I wish they allowed you install the game to the hard drive from the disc and not require the disc to be inserted to play the game...

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Another point possibly would be that if you buy a game physically and don't like it you can at least return it and get your money back, don't know whether you can do that with a digital copy.

Superior Member
    Disc based gaming is one of the few remaining things that separates consoles and PC's. I like knowing I can get some money back on a game that I'm done with.

20. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items FuturamaGoogle ChromeAmerican DadHalf-Life 2Battlefield 3User name style
    Nope. It might be something I try out, but imagine the novelty will wear off pretty quickly.

Don't Steal. Don't Molest Little Children. Don't Deal Drugs.

22. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    I currently plan to go as much Disc based as I can as I know I'll be chewing up HDD space (even with a larger drive) on IGC games alone. That said, I may take into consideration of doing a digital download for games that I plan to spectate and potentially jump in on. That said, I probably won't do a lot of this and I don't mind swapping discs if it saves me $.

24. Likes MonkeyClaw likes this post
    PSN ID
    DaGrandMastah
    Count me as someone going all digital. I find having all my games stored in one system insanely convenient....being able to switch games on the fly without having to switch discs is a really awesome feature imo. Everyone in this thread has provided valid points.....I'm not the type of person to buy 8000 games though. I do plan to upgrade the hard drive but even in it's current 500 gb form, that's 10 games at 50 bb's each. I'm not getting to 10 games anytime soon.

I also prefer to save space...keep things neater and tidier...but again, that's just me.

Administrator and PSU Technical Manager
    Items Death Note LAtlusVitaPS3 FatMetal Gear Solid 4Naughty Dog360 SlimGuerrilla GamesApple
    Almost everything digital I have is from PS+. Everything else is physical. A game is a commodity. When I am done with it, I want to be able to retrieve some of the value from it by reselling or trading. It is really that simple for me.
    My avatar* is dedicated to server errors where ever they roam. May they never return.
    *censoring provided by Ghost

Server Error Status Thread

27. Likes $Greatness$ likes this post
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    This thread is only a day old and I think you guys have pretty much convinced me to go disc based this gen!

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    This thread is only a day old and I think you guys have pretty much convinced me to go disc based this gen!
    I just think it makes more sense, there are move advantages then disadvantages to disc then download!

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    i went digital only with my psp go. lol

but i will be buying discs for my ps4. i would only go digital for igc and if a game is digital only.

i did consider once going digital only on my ps3, just putting in a massive hard drive and never having to switch a disc again, but i never did. i just like physical media too much. looking at my dvd cabinet full of games brings a smile to my face. and seeing how i dont trade games in anymore i've accrued quite the collection.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    I just think it makes more sense, there are move advantages then disadvantages to disc then download!
    Actually there's not, the only real advantage is being able to resell your game for a fraction of what it's worth that's it... But then you're kinda stupid for doing this because you're doing yourself out of so much money and having nothing at the end of the day for doing this.

So every 3 new games you trade you're losing a whole new game!!! Think about it !

Digital you have it's forever in cloud storage, nothing happens to your game ever... Because it doesn't physically exist it's just electronic data... Disadvantage is you can't sell your collection or display it and if you've got a big collection that sucks not being able to show it off.

I lied I said I'm going entirely digital but my 3 launch games will be discs because I don't want any online waits over launch imagine if the server is slow over launch, I won't be able to play anything.

After launch depending on how I feel I'll go a mixture of digital and retail.
    Last edited by chriharr; 11-03-2013 at 06:12.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Thread Information