Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner

PS4 Hdd, how's this?

Hey guys. Can't wait for the PS4 and looking to swap HDD on day one.

I haven't looked into what's compatible really. Does anyone know u if this will be okay?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HN-M...ung+HN-M101MBB

Or this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Seag...dp_ob_title_ce

Thanks

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    it cant be no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Thanks. That should be okay then. Usually 2.5 hdd are no bigger than 9.5mm anyway.

The first one I posted is data and second one says data 2 . would that make any difference to ps4? Any advantages? I believe sata 2 worked in ps3.

Thanks
    Last edited by crazy_gooner; 11-01-2013 at 04:59.

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    djpenny1
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post
    Thanks. That should be okay then. Usually 2.5 hdd are no bigger than 9.5mm anyway.

The first one I posted is data and second one says data 2 . would that make any difference to ps4? Any advantages? I believe sata 2 worked in ps3.

Thanks
    idk sony did not say anything about that

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    The 1tb drives are perfect, But DO NOT buy from the "sellers" that includes "fulfilled by" they are scam artists often flogging low grade faulty drives. Always buy directly from Amazon.

Get but Sata 3, That way when 2 or 4 tb laptop drives arrive in a few years time, You can reuse this drive in you pc or laptop. Also look for one with 2 or 3 years manufacturers warranty. Because Seagate are attrocious. I know they say Samsung, But they are both manufactured by SEAGATE, Samsung abandoned the harddrive business in favour of the FLASH based SSD market. Try www.ebuyer.com they have a better cheaper range of 1tb HDDs often displaying the warranties.
    Last edited by victorijapoosp; 11-01-2013 at 05:44.
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Why don't u Waite and see what people use and see if its good dont jump the gun

7. Likes victorijapoosp likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    Remember, just because it comes with a SATA II doesn't mean it's not a SATA III connection. SATA III has been standard on the AMD controller for years now.

I wonder if we can do 12.5mm without using the tray's metal lid?

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Thanks guys for the input. I will buy from ebuyer, they're a good site and I don't mind paying a little more for security.

I don't mind waiting either, but I reckon prices will go up?

Thanks for everyone's input.

Superior Member
    Might want to think about a hybrid drive (part solid state), I have a 750GB one in my PS3 and there is a definite difference with load times and things like texture pop in isn't quite so bad.

I'm going to grab me one of these before my PS4 arrives and swap it day one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/480284-seagate...hd-st1000lm014

11. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    Might want to think about a hybrid drive (part solid state), I have a 750GB one in my PS3 and there is a definite difference with load times and things like texture pop in isn't quite so bad.

I'm going to grab me one of these before my PS4 arrives and swap it day one:

http://www.ebuyer.com/480284-seagate...hd-st1000lm014

That looks good. I'm dubious about a hybrid. Most people say they see no difference. Have you compared it on a lot of thing then?

I've also found this sata 3 drive.

http://m.ebuyer.com/?action=searchre...Search#/497318

I belive sata 3 is backwards compatible as well.

As well as performance I need to think of my pocket lol.

Superior Member
    There is a definite difference in load times. An example is GTA V.

At a friends house, my PS3 and his were side by side, mine was quite a bit quicker at loading into the game. Also when switching characters it's much snappier (might not make sense if you've not played GTA V). Texture and object pop in is much less noticeable and mine seemed to run smoother, basically less stuttering when driving around.

Install times are quicker too. Of course I might only be seeing the speed difference between 5400rpm and 7200rpm which is what the standard hard drive part of the hybrid runs at.

Supposedly they learn which programs are used most and that data is moved to the 8GB cache, but I think that may only happen on PC's and MAC's.

Also the PS3 is only SATA I so I won't be seeing the full benefit anyway. The PS4 is hopefully SATA 3, but until it's released there's no way of knowing what benefit there will be.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bhindi_Bhajji View Post
    There is a definite difference in load times. An example is GTA V.

At a friends house, my PS3 and his were side by side, mine was quite a bit quicker at loading into the game. Also when switching characters it's much snappier (might not make sense if you've not played GTA V). Texture and object pop in is much less noticeable and mine seemed to run smoother, basically less stuttering when driving around.

Install times are quicker too. Of course I might only be seeing the speed difference between 5400rpm and 7200rpm which is what the standard hard drive part of the hybrid runs at.

Supposedly they learn which programs are used most and that data is moved to the 8GB cache, but I think that may only happen on PC's and MAC's.

Also the PS3 is only SATA I so I won't be seeing the full benefit anyway. The PS4 is hopefully SATA 3, but until it's released there's no way of knowing what benefit there will be.

Thanks for that mate.. Very good to hear as gta character switching sucked at times. Am I correct in thinking Sata is backwards compatible? So if I bought a sata 2 or sata 3 hdd, and ps3 was only sata it would still work. Providing dimensions are correct?

Also last question for your hybrid, did you have to connect to a pc first? As many say you do for firmware updates etc.

Thanks

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by victorijapoosp View Post
    The 1tb drives are perfect, But DO NOT buy from the "sellers" that includes "fulfilled by" they are scam artists often flogging low grade faulty drives. Always buy directly from Amazon.
    Though direct from Amazon is preferable, "sold by 'whomever' and fulfilled by Amazon" is really just as good, so long as you know the specific make and model of what you're getting. If it's described as a 1TB 2.5" HDD, you don't know what you're getting. If it's "New Hitachi 1TB 2.5" HDD MODEL No. XXXXXX" then you're fine with fulfilled by Amazon orders, because if that's what it says it is, that's what Amazon ships. The fulfilled by program, Amazon stocks and manages the sellers' inventory, ships the inventory (that's why Prime is available for fulfilled by sellers but no other marketplace sellers) and the Amazon guarantees and return/refund policies apply. To oversimplify, "fulfilled by" sellers use the whole Amazon system and directly or indirectly cover various costs for Amazon such as wholesale price of inventory, shipping, etc. They set the retail price and collect whatever is left over after you pay Amazon and Amazon takes its cut. It's the sellers that aren't fulfilled by Amazon that are often problematic. They just use Amazon more or less as a prebuilt web store. They handle their own inventory and shipping, so they can ship any product they please and say it was the product described. They can bill you and ship late, never ship something. They can cancel an order as out of stock so they can raise prices, even though they have inventory on hand. They can list items as in stock and ready to ship when they aren't in stock. And if you want your money back Amazon won't give it to you, the seller has to give it to you. Fulfilled by sellers can't do any of that. The fulfilled by program, if it's in stock, it ships. If it's not in stock, the listing can't say it's in stock. If it bills, it ships. If you don't want it or it doesn't work, you ship it back to Amazon, not the seller, and Amazon refunds your money.

An easy way to tell if it's an Amazon underwritten seller is to see if Prime or free super saving shipping on orders over $25 is available for that item from that seller. If it is, it's tantamount to buying from Amazon. Just another party covers some or all of the cost of selling the item, and they collect a large portion of the payment after Amazon deducts its fees.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-01-2013 at 11:49.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy_gooner View Post
    Thanks for that mate.. Very good to hear as gta character switching sucked at times. Am I correct in thinking Sata is backwards compatible? So if I bought a sata 2 or sata 3 hdd, and ps3 was only sata it would still work. Providing dimensions are correct?
    It is indeed backwards compatible. The hybrid I have is SATA 3.

Also last question for your hybrid, did you have to connect to a pc first? As many say you do for firmware updates etc.
    I put it straight into the PS3, so far so good. I've not had to do a firmware update.

Apprentice

PSN ID
    crazy_gooner
    Thanks guys. I will look into this a little more later. The seller on Amazon has over 2000 sales, uses prime with Amazon and has 100 percent feedback. The seller also describes the HDD.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dj- View Post
    it cant be no thicker than 9.5mm, and is larger than 160GB.
    Drive height can be 12.5mm unlike on ps3.
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/16...nch-hard-drive
    -------
    Couple of nice blog posts about OpenGL.
    The Truth on OpenGL Driver Quality
    Things that drive me nuts about OpenGL

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jlippone View Post
    Drive height can be 12.5mm unlike on ps3.
    http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/16...nch-hard-drive
    Yeah, I agree with you here. We have this reveal here but SONY's official faq just said no more than 9.5. That has me curious why!?

Veteran
    You could either wait until they launch the PS4 and see which HDDs work with the PS4, don't worry PS4 will NOT cause the HDD prices to go up if anything they'll go down a bit because of the Holiday season. If you truly can't wait I would suggest you buy it closer to the launch date that way you may be able to return it if it doesn't work.

Dedicated Member
    For those who are Curious... What HDD is in the PS4 when you buy it?
    SONY most likely is buying from a single source for HDD's to get a great deal.

I'm pretty sure i've narrowed it down to HGST, now a part of WD. Maybe even this drive, or a SATA II variant of it.
    Drive shape and label markings seem to indicate HGST.

http://pixelenemy.com/changing-the-h...-simple-to-do/

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822145587

This one even closer:
    http://www.amazon.com/Hitachi-Hts545...+500gb+5400rpm
    Last edited by John Willaford; 11-01-2013 at 18:45.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim
    ^ Good find. IIRC the HDD in the PS3 (slim) was a Toshiba

Get but Sata 3, That way when 2 or 4 tb laptop drives arrive in a few years time, You can reuse this drive in you pc or laptop. Also look for one with 2 or 3 years manufacturers warranty. Because Seagate are attrocious. I know they say Samsung, But they are both manufactured by SEAGATE, Samsung abandoned the harddrive business in favour of the FLASH based SSD market. Try www.ebuyer.com they have a better cheaper range of 1tb HDDs often displaying the warranties.
    External Segates yes. My main driver is a Seagate and it's been more than sufficiant.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    There is now a 2TB 2.5" 9.5mm drive that is soon to be out!

http://gizmodo.com/the-worlds-thinne...thi-1458255364

Just a few months ago we were impressed with Western Digital for cramming an entire terabyte of storage into a mobile hard drive that was just seven millimeters thick. But now Seagate's come along to steal WD's thunder with the ultra-slim 2.5-inch Spinpoint M9T that manages to double that capacity to two-terabytes inside a drive that's just 9.5 millimeters thick.
    So you're getting twice the capacity at the cost of just 2.5 millimeters in added thickness—that sounds pretty reasonable. After all, at 9.5 millimeters thick the M9T is still the thinnest two-terabyte hard drive you can currently buy. The drive will also be available in a 1.5 terabyte model as well, which will presumably cost slightly less than the two terabyte model's $129 price tag.

-=[ PSN ID: Tha_MonkeyClaw ]=-

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    There is now a 2TB 2.5" 9.5mm drive that is soon to be out!

http://gizmodo.com/the-worlds-thinne...thi-1458255364
    How much? Gimme! NAO!
    Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    How much? Gimme! NAO!
    It shows that the 2TB model will cost $129, so who knows what price it will actually be when it hits the shelves!

Administrator
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyClaw View Post
    It shows that the 2TB model will cost $129, so who knows what price it will actually be when it hits the shelves!
    That is insanely cheap for a 2.5" drive with that storage size. There wouldn't really be a point in buying anything else but this when it's released.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    Tha_MonkeyClaw
    Items Protect yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by PBM View Post
    That is insanely cheap for a 2.5" drive with that storage size. There wouldn't really be a point in buying anything else but this when it's released.
    The only thing I would worry about is the reliability of the drive, those are going to be pretty dense platters inside that thing!

Thread Information