Forum Elder

Yes, the Xbox One can play CDs and will support DLNA streaming.

Sony announced some details on things the Playstation 4 can and can't do, and I had sent a question over to Microsoft about whether the Xbox One would be able to beat those features. I've just now received an answer and, yes, the Xbox One can play audio CDs.

The system is also DLNA compatible, and they're in the process of being certified. As for mp3 playbacků well, that's kind of a mixed bag. The system is a Play To receiver, so you'll be able to stream your content to the Xbox One using any Play To supported devices such as a Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 enabled PC, Windows Phone, etc.

You'll also, of course, be able to stream music through an Xbox Music Pass subscription.

So it doesn't seem like there is going to be a way to simply import your music files, but you will be able to stream the content you already own, hopefully use it in custom mixes for your game, and the device will be DLNA compatible. Audio CDs, for the people who care, will be supported.
    http://penny-arcade.com/report/artic...dlna-streaming

2. Likes Sub-stance1 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Good news.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    While this is nice for those that will use it, I'd rather be able to import my mp3 library onto the hdd, and go from there.

5. Likes Demi_God likes this post
    Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    So I should think.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

Superior Member
    For me, at least, this is a big deal. I stream a lot of stuff from my PC to my Xbox and I can't believe that this isn't a standard feature on ALL next gen consoles. This is supposed to be a given on all consoles, especially since the 360 and PS3 already do it.
    I don't need no stinkin' signature!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    The steaming is a plus so you can stream music. Props to MS to allowing you to play your own music in some form. But this ban on Mp3s is Bs on Sony and MS part. All to force you to pay for their damn music service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Currently Playing: ​ Watch Dogs
    Currently Waiting For: ​​ ​Destiny

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    The steaming is a plus so you can stream music. Props to MS to allowing you to play your own music in some form. But this ban on Mp3s is Bs on Sony and MS part. All to force you to pay for their damn music service.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Meh. I just use an old Android phone or my tablet over a bluetooth connection. I can connect to my home theater or make it portable through a bluetooth speaker.

I have more music streaming choices as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Apprentice
    Items Scarlett JohanssonGuerrilla GamesDice
    Playstation can't play CD's?

Preorder cancelled.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PS4THEWIN View Post
    Playstation can't play CD's?

Preorder cancelled.
    That's not the issue. It doesn't stream anything locally, audio or video. That's a big deal to a lot of people and certainly for me. I stream a lot of video from my home network currently and the 360 and PS3 do it best at this moment.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    That's not the issue. It doesn't stream anything locally, audio or video. That's a big deal to a lot of people and certainly for me. I stream a lot of video from my home network currently and the 360 and PS3 do it best at this moment.
    Theres actually been an extremely quick turn around on the DLNA side of things...

http://community.us.playstation.com/...e/m-p/41986351

I was annoyed at first when they said it couldn't stream over the network, but on a list of things to put on the backburner to get the system stable for launch, DLNA and the other things coming in later updates arent that bad to have to wait for.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XCall of Duty: Black OPSDragon Ball ZPS3 SlimGoogle Chrome
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Man Gamer View Post
    Meh. I just use an old Android phone or my tablet over a bluetooth connection. I can connect to my home theater or make it portable through a bluetooth speaker.

I have more music streaming choices as well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    That isn't what annoys me. It's the fact that custom soundtracks are gone now. I loved that feature on 360. Now neither system will have the feature. As for just listening to music I couldn't care less. I just loved playing games with custom soundtracks. I remember cruising to my favorite songs in PGR. Now because they are pushing their own music we can't have that.

PSN ID
    nervegas_ds
    this isn't that big of a deal for me. i plan on keeping my ps3 & 360 for some time. i used to stream music and video, but i haven't in a long time. the only mp3s i have on my consoles is the beyond two souls sound track i got with the special edition, which reminds me, i need to transfer that to my pc. and the last time i listened to an audio cd on a console was like 5 years ago. so i can take it or leave it, not a deal breaker.

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by ps3freak18 View Post
    That isn't what annoys me. It's the fact that custom soundtracks are gone now. I loved that feature on 360. Now neither system will have the feature.
    Precisely.

I've grown quite fond of being able to listen to my own music while playing, especially in racing games. Music in most racing games is notoriously crappy. MS supported the feature on the original Xbox and the 360, to lose it now is a step backwards in functionality.

16. Likes PS4freak likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    lsutigers19
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    Precisely.

I've grown quite fond of being able to listen to my own music while playing, especially in racing games. Music in most racing games is notoriously crappy. MS supported the feature on the original Xbox and the 360, to lose it now is a step backwards in functionality.
    Yep. Both companies should be receiving flak for this. Regardless if it is something used or not, it is stripping features that were there on both systems. MS took more advantage of it more with all games using custom soundtracks but both had the ability and now the systems are moving forward and they are taking steps back in their overall design. I'm hoping this is something that is remedied in the future because quite honestly this is bs from both sides.

This would be no different from Google or apple only allowing you to play music from the app store or marketplace.

Chocolatier to the Stars
    PSN ID
    TidalPhoenix
    Items New User TitleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sajuuk Khar View Post
    Theres actually been an extremely quick turn around on the DLNA side of things...

http://community.us.playstation.com/...e/m-p/41986351

I was annoyed at first when they said it couldn't stream over the network, but on a list of things to put on the backburner to get the system stable for launch, DLNA and the other things coming in later updates arent that bad to have to wait for.
    I was really annoyed as well, but now that I see the streaming is being added in I'm in my happy place again.

​aka Sparc

Entropy isn't what it used be

Thread Information