Latest PSU headlines:

Master Guru

"Inside PlayStation 4: Building the Best Place to Play" SONY @ AMD APU13 Nov 13th

• 8:30 - 9:30 a.m. (PST), Wednesday, November 13
    • Dominic Mallinson, senior vice president, Software, Sony: "Inside PlayStation 4: Building the Best Place to Play"

Source Tech Powerup.com
    http://www.techpowerup.com/193616/am...vember-11.html

2. Likes victorijapoosp , Saigon wishes they had posted this first.
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    SONY is all in to win this generation, Microsoft should step back so they can take center stage.

Its what's best for everyone.

PS4 has little to no competition.

4. Likes Mo-green28 wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    SONY is all in to win this generation, Microsoft should step back so they can take center stage.

Its what's best for everyone.
    If there is no competition the devs will get lazy & only make games that are good enough instead of pushing the consoles.

6. Likes Mo-green28 wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ONQ View Post
    If there is no competition the devs will get lazy & only make games that are good enough instead of pushing the consoles.
    Competition would come from within game developers.

That would not be affected if it was a one console dominated race, as seen with the PS2 era.

What would be affected is console features.

8. Likes K2D , Two4DaMoney , VayMasters86 wishes they had posted this first.
    PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    OnQ **** happened to you on gaf bro?

even without Competition, Sony first party has been pushing boundaries for years and in turn making 3rd party devs step up there game

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    OnQ **** happened to you on gaf bro?

even without Competition, Sony first party has been pushing boundaries for years and in turn making 3rd party devs step up there game

I was banned for a month just for asking why it was wrong that the Guy mistook the Transgender woman for being just a man dressed up in cosplay at a gaming event.

I was telling the truth people be dressed up in cosplay at these events so he could have mistook her for just being someone dressed up in cosplay.

my ban will be lifted tomorrow night.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Dam they will not be available until around February. A bit too long to wait need laptop now.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    I was banned for a month just for asking why it was wrong that the Guy mistook the Transgender woman for being just a man dressed up in cosplay at a gaming event.

I was telling the truth people be dressed up in cosplay at these events so he could have mistook her for just being someone dressed up in cosplay.

Nice, I remember that thread...Well welcome back to psu and see you on gaf tomorrow

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by RedOrb_Collector View Post
    Competition would come from within game developers.

That would not be affected if it was a one console dominated race, as seen with the PS2 era.

What would be affected is console features.

This. I've never owned anything but: NES, Genesis, SegaCD, PS1, Dreamcast, PS2, PSP, PS3 but I'm no fanboy. Yet, the PS2 generation was just the best. Microsoft ruined gaming and their jumping in is such a large reason for non-Nintendo exclusives, timed exclusives, DLC, etc.
    It was best when we had the Gamecube to take care of the Nintendo lovers out there and then the more mature console where you had a wild collection of games that pushed the power envelope. Competition was there and it was from the devs. Now, console companies crawl to devs with trucks of cash to beg for their console to be the only one with the "exclusive outfit that does nothing special" for 6 months so they can brag about it in a commercial.

The PS2 gen was the best. That and the NES gen where you just had games. If there was a game that came out you didn't have to ask what system it looked and played best on. Both gens had that beautiful gift.

Now? Fanboys arguing about which multi-plat has better textures of an obscure poster on a wall that the player won't even care about or notice when playing. So stupid.

14. Likes PhillyPhreak, VayMasters86 wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    PSN ID
    saigon1914
    Glad to see this on here, I was just about to post this myself. I can't wait until they reveal this information.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    SkarEffect
    When my friend went to TGS, he told me that they said it will be 2.0. Hopefully he heard right.

Mods at Gaf are power abusing douche bags.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by SkarEffect View Post
    When my friend went to TGS, he told me that they said it will be 2.0. Hopefully he heard right.

Mods at Gaf are power abusing douche bags.
    I think it was a case of too much going on in a thread & they was cleaning house & must have took what I said the wrong way thinking it was part of all the other back & forth that was going on.

Edit:

If the PS4 GPU is GCN 2.0 the advantage might be a lot bigger than everyone think it is.

I'm still holding out hope that the APU will have the Vector Co-Processor that has been hinted at a few times but never talked about.
    Last edited by ONQ; 11-03-2013 at 22:52.

Veteran
    Should be very interesting.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    I'm stilling holding out hope that the APU will have the Vector Co-Processor that has been hinted at a few times but never talked about.
    can you give a link to this co-processor?

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Shaping up to be one hell of a launch week.

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSol View Post
    can you give a link to this co-processor?

From EuroGamer

"However, there's a fair amount of "secret sauce" in Orbis and we can disclose details on one of the more interesting additions. Paired up with the eight AMD cores, we find a bespoke GPU-like "Compute" module, designed to ease the burden on certain operations - physics calculations are a good example of traditional CPU work that are often hived off to GPU cores. We're assured that this is bespoke hardware that is not a part of the main graphics pipeline but we remain rather mystified by its standalone inclusion, bearing in mind Compute functions could be run off the main graphics cores and that devs could have the option to utilise that power for additional graphical grunt, if they so chose."

&
    From a trusted member on Ars Technica forums

So, a couple of random things I've learned:

-It's not stock x86; there are eight very wide vector engines and some other changes. It's not going to be completely trivial to retarget to it, but it should shut up the morons who were hyperventilating at "OMG! 1.6 JIGGAHURTZ!".

-The memory structure is unified, but weird; it's not like the GPU can just grab arbitrary memory like some people were thinking (rather, it can, but it's slow). They're incorporating another type of shader that can basically read from a ring buffer (supplied in a streaming fashion by the CPU) and write to an output buffer. I don't have all the details, but it seems interesting.

-As near as I'm aware, there's no OpenGL or GLES support on it at all; it's a lower-level library at present. I expect (no proof) this will change because I expect that they'll be trying to make a play for indie games, much as I'm pretty sure Microsoft will be, and trying to get indie developers to go turbo-nerd on low-level GPU programming does not strike me as a winner.
    Last edited by ONQ; 11-02-2013 at 18:20.

22. Likes Kauldron wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice

You think they would have made it this far and not released any of that info you mentioned? Or do you think conference is going to be just that, not elaboration, but new info that will be surprising in some aspects?

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by atomicnuke View Post
    You think they would have made it this far and not released any of that info you mentioned? Or do you think conference is going to be just that, not elaboration, but new info that will be surprising in some aspects?

They haven't said anything about the CPU besides the fact that it's 8 core x86 Jaguar.

Apprentice

They haven't said anything about the CPU besides the fact that it's 8 core x86 Jaguar.
    So are you expecting a surprise of some sorts? Of course I'd love to hear news that makes the console seem better than we already know it to be.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Yes indeed.
    2play:Red Dead, GTA 4,Batman AC,Batman AO,Borderlands 2,Skyrim,Sleeping Dogs,Reckoning,Dead Island, DarkSiders 2,Dark Souls,Dead Space 2,MGS 3,MGS:PW, XCOM:EU,Hitman Absolution,Biosuck Infinite,Assassins Creed 3,Deus Ex,Castlevania, Halo Wars,Civilization,Forza Horizon,Black Ops,Black Ops 2,MW3,LA Noire,Crackdown,Dead Rising 2,Fallout 3, Fallout:NV,RE 4, Bully, Hitman HD collecton.

Forum Elder
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    Eh, I'm excited to see all of the proceedings but I must admit the line-up at least seems underwhelming to me.

Superior Member
    I think some of this sounds more promising than it will turn out to be (we all get excited around here).

The GPU like Compute module may have just been the 4 CU's that were supposed to be dedicated to Physics and 'Compute' which were just not specially purposed to make way for a cleaner easier to work with pipeline.
    So, either way it may have been 18 CU's with 14 for GPU and 4 for Compute before, and now it's just 18.

If there was any static addressing that was implemented but can be ignored or worked around then we'll know the decision was changed after hardware design stages.
    If we get 18 CU + a special module, that'll just be extra sweet icing on the cake!

I suppose that stuff plus if the ARM Core is just a TrustZone module or if it does more, and other items will be gone over.

Thread Information