Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)

Impressed with Sony's handling of rival Xbox

We all knew this would be the year of the next-gen console wars.

Sony beat MS on specs.
    Sony beat MS to the punch with a much earlier reveal.
    Sony beat MS with price.
    Sony beat MS with an earlier release in North America.

They even threw in a few clever jabs at E3. Maybe a bit immature... but gamers eat that stuff up.

Just an all around solid game plan from Sony. As far as planning goes, they beat MS at everything. Anyone else impressed with how Sony's management has handled the PS4 pre-launch?
    Last edited by INFAMOUS8; 11-02-2013 at 08:17.

I agree. ....speaking of "jabs" on competitor at E3, I think they were noticeable for everyone who knew about the xb1 and the problems they were having then (which was probably almost all of the interested audience), but those jabs were sure not made in an inappropriate, immature way.
    Last edited by Slaystation; 11-02-2013 at 08:09.
    "Luckily, the Helghan economy is based on moving explosive material around in barrels,
    which gives the humans an edge in combat."

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by INFAMOUS8 View Post
    Just an all around solid game plan from Sony. Anyone else impressed with how Sony's management has handled the PS4 pre-launch?
    Im more impressed with how Sony honest this time. Shu is the man beyond awesomnes! He doing tremendous amount of work at twitter answering all this questions and proviing actual information. Also fake Kaz is hilarious

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Well them being in the rear view mirror this entire gen brought them back to reality.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Superior Member
    Sony hasn't ever failed me since I had my 1st ps1 in 97. So yea im proud to see them get back to form after the 1st 2 years of ps3's life and the psn down thing. they've recovered greatly and the gen of ps4 looks very bright EARLY.
    Ride or die Sony(Playstation) supporter since 12/25/1997 Currently playing: Mass Effect 3, NBA 2K14, Tomba,Battlefield 4,Warframe, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows
    Holding down Turtle Power since 1991

Racing Game Fanatic
    PSN ID
    Duffman19864
    Items Title StyleVitaPS3 Slim
    I am really impressed with how Sony has handled things this generation, I think they realized that being on the back foot with the Xbox 360 they needed to up their game if they where to get back ahead again! The way Sony has gone about the facts and the launch of the PS4 has been excellent but it needed to be so they could try and swing gamers their way! I have had many Xbox's so I am by no means a fan boy but I have always ended up coming back to PlayStation, but it looks like this time I shall have no need to stray, all Sony need to do is keep it up!!
    PSN ID: Duffman19864

Twitter ID: Duffman1986

My New Youtube Gaming Channel: Duffman Gaming

7. Likes mistercrow likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    Well them being in the rear view mirror this entire gen brought them back to reality. Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
    And even then Sony still managed to catch up and close the gap.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank

Sony beat MS on specs.
    Sony beat MS with price.

They even threw in a few clever jabs at E3. Maybe a bit immature... but gamers eat that stuff up.

Just an all around solid game plan from Sony. As far as planning goes, they beat MS at everything. Anyone else impressed with how Sony's management has handled the PS4 pre-launch?
    Okay first off I'm console agnostic, I bought both consoles last gen and I'm buying both at launch this gen, but I should note I've been playing my PS3 more in the last year than my Xbox 360. I think, in general, except for launch timing issues, Sony beat MS on only one thing this generation. The key thing. PR management of press and public opinion. Practically speaking, they beat MS on everything but release date LAST generation, too -- and earlier reveal, but that's expected because they launched a year later.

Last generation, Sony beat MS on specs. Complexity of development aside, PS3 is an overall more powerful system than 360. And they also beat MS on price. Take the wireless w/ HDD model of the launch 360, bump the HDD size, add a ridiculously overpriced proprietary wi-fi module, a rechargeable controller kit, and a year's Xbox Live membership to play online, the 360 was a more expensive gaming system. Not even comparing the value of Blu-ray for game data and movies, compared with 360's DVD. This generation, the price is more the same, feature-complete. Sony's coup is making the camera an option rather than required in the shipping XOne OS and therefore required in the purchase. I don't have to buy the camera until I've got some good interest and use for the camera, and when I buy it, assuming a Kinect 2 would run about $100, the PS4 camera is cheaper. I'm not a big fan of Kinect. My kids aren't even much for Kinect games, more than temporary novelties. They're always rentals so we can send them back in a few days. The kids are far more excited for the novelty of voice control of the XOne, which you can do with the PS4 WITHOUT the camera. Remains to be seen how much they'll care about gesture control. But voice control is the longer-standing cultural science fiction meme. Voice control is more widely understood as "the future."

That's what in my opinion was so fascinating about the 360. It was more cheaply built. It was conveniently smaller only to look at, not to put in your living room or gaming space, because you had to account for that huge power brick. It cost a subscription fee to play online, which wasn't new to Xbox but was a new thing for non-MMO gamers who'd been playing online on PCs. The failure rate on launch consoles may have been as high as 30-35% and that didn't get well fixed until the system with the flash storage wired to the motherboard, years later. Yet 360 was wildly popularly for years.

In other words, besides launching a year later -- and some times timing is everything -- Sony delivered a better system to far poorer consumer response. Took a while for a steady flow of good games to become available for the system, but at PS3 launch it hadn't yet become the era of multi-platform game release by default. So it always did take a while. It's not like 360 launched with Halo 3. Still 360 was king. I think it was all timing. Timing and money and a huge performance and feature jump. Last gen introduced substantial graphical and other improvements, as well as an incredible set of features. Last gen people bought in for the wow factor, probably more than ever. 360 got there first. Console gamers had already spent about US$500 just the year before, the big 360 games, exclusive and multi-platform, had started to release and people had their, for the time, crazy powerful console system. They had a whole year to decide to give up waiting for PS3 and bought a 360. And then when PS3 formally announced and it not only would be another large expense, but it seemed a greater expense -- though as I mentioned, it really wasn't, it was less expensive by included features -- a lot of the last holdouts ran out and bought 360s months before PS3 even launched.

Sony has played nice a lot better this generation launch, definitely. But ultimately I believe it was timing. MS could have been the haughty jerks they acted at XOne announcement, the Sony reps acted at PS3 announcement, and still 360 would have come out of the gate very strong.
    Last edited by sanfordmay; 11-02-2013 at 14:39.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    Quote Originally Posted by mistercrow View Post
    And even then Sony still managed to catch up and close the gap.
    Ha. Closed it and exceeded 360 by a reasonable margin. But that's what I meant about PR management. Most people, even most avid gamers, think 360 was the clear winner last gen. They forget Wii won by so much neither Sony nor Microsoft ever had a shot at first place. And in the race for distant second, Sony finally won that, but that's not the common wisdom. People, no matter how miserable they were over the original, now repealed XOne policies, they still think 360 beat every other console into the ground last gen.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III

Sony beat MS on specs.
    Sony beat MS with price.

Yep, it's been a completely different ball game this go 'round. It's the type of plan they wish they had used this generation. I think they'll keep this full head of steam throughout this gen.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    The PS4 will be a better system because sony just makes better hardware then Microsoft. This time they were smart enough to beat Microsoft at the punch for release date AND PR. Microsoft made the mistake many game developers are making and that is assuming EVERYONE has broadband and then they treated people who buy traded games like they were criminals. Apparently they didn't notice at how despised EA is.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by thanatos144 View Post
    The PS4 will be a better system because sony just makes better hardware then Microsoft. This time they were smart enough to beat Microsoft at the punch for release date AND PR. Microsoft made the mistake many game developers are making and that is assuming EVERYONE has broadband and then they treated people who buy traded games like they were criminals. Apparently they didn't notice at how despised EA is.
    They know exactly how much some people despise EA. However, they also see EA games at the top of the charts, consistently. So... yeah.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    They know exactly how much some people despise EA. However, they also see EA games at the top of the charts, consistently. So... yeah.
    Dont remeber the last time I bought a EA game... ME3 I think.

Superior Member

PSN ID
    martin_blank
    As mistercrow mentioned above, Sony started a year late and very weak and still closed the gap. This console cycle isn't even close to won. It's risky to even call much of a leader until a year after launch. Microsoft has for decades dominated the personal and business computing world with a 10-ton sludge of a productivity software package running on a cobbled-together operating system full of holes like a Swiss cheese. They don't innovate, either. I'm not even sure they can innovate. But in the business of technology in big markets they excel -- pun intended. And they have lots and lots and lots, whole mountains, of money to drastically change things up and take huge financial hits just to come out even in a market war. This will be a neck-and-neck battle for a long time to come, and believe me there will be more than one XOne exclusive or later days new console feature that has you standing around with your wallet in hand about to buy an XOne before you decide you can live without it and walk out. But a lot of PS4 owners, they won't walk out. Microsoft has consistently done well, if not phenomenally well, since they entered the console market with the original Xbox. They'll at least do well this cycle.

This is where Microsoft and Apple are a lot more alike than different and have been for more than 10 years. They both have the cash to stay in a market if they want to stay, no matter how their products in that market are performing.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    I am impressed indeed!!! Can't wait to get mine....

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Cathode
    Items LuluYunaDaft Punk
    E3 jabs were good. Justified - gamescom jabs were cringe worthy :/

Wishlist: Jade Cocoon Reboot, Oni Reboot, the next JRPG, Wasteland 2 [coming soon!]
    SotC 2, Fallout 4, next Obsidian Fallout, Project Eternity, Uncharted 4, Divinity [NEW!]
    [South Park: Stick of Truth is pure gaming bliss!]

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Son'y next gen execution has been almost flawless from the reveal up until now. The roll out has been masterfully done, from the excellent presser that ushered in gen 8, to the awesome E3 moment where Jack laid the smack down, to Gamescom. It has the most powerful tech, the most consumer facing policies (apps/XGC, F2P, game recording not behind paywall etc), the cheaper price point and an unbreakable reputation for bringing some of the industries most impressive games. The potshots taken at MS a long the way were kind of cheeky but were well earned by learning from just about all of the mistakes from this gen.

Sony is focused on making its console the best place to play and unless MS gets things in order and fast, Sony has a solid chance of establishing itself as just that.

PS4 design is 100X better then xbox ones

Superior Member
    Items Guerrilla GamesVitaJoker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    Okay first off I'm console agnostic, I bought both consoles last gen and I'm buying both at launch this gen, but I should note I've been playing my PS3 more in the last year than my Xbox 360. I think, in general, except for launch timing issues, Sony beat MS on only one thing this generation. The key thing. PR management of press and public opinion. Practically speaking, they beat MS on everything but release date LAST generation, too -- and earlier reveal, but that's expected because they launched a year later.
    Incorrect my friend... They didn't beat them on price last gen. 360 was always cheaper than PS3... sometimes a full $200 cheaper.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    thanatos144
    Incorrect my friend... They didn't beat them on price last gen. 360 was always cheaper than PS3... sometimes a full $200 cheaper.
    You're right. You had to pay for better quality console this gen.

Ultimate Veteran
    yup the PS4 is going to be awesome

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by sanfordmay View Post
    As mistercrow mentioned above, Sony started a year late and very weak and still closed the gap.
    That would be impressive if they did it all based on the PS3 merit, but when you have an existing PS2 userbase of 120+ million to draw sales on you've got to figure you'll outsell the Xbox even if if you lose a third of your existing customers. Saying "We sold 30% less than we did last generation" doesn't sound nearly as fanboyishly impressive as "we closed the gap with MS".

Of course, if you were to say "after selling only 23 million original Xbox systems MS was able to open up a gap that took the 120+ million strong userbase of Sony 7 years to close", that sort of says how poorly Sony really did.

Sony recovered well all things considered, but all things considered they still lost more than 40 million customers despite the generation lasting a full year longer than the PS2.

As far as the PS4 goes, I'm nothing but impressed with the way Sony has handled things this generation. No more of this "It's not a game console" or "next generation doesn't start until we say it does" or "We'll sell the fisrt 10 million systems with no games at all", and especially no "gamers will get second jobs to pay for it" nonsense from Sony this generation. Those claims should never have been uttered, and I'm glad Sony learned just how much of a mistake it was to make them.

This generation Sony stayed focused on what is really imporant in a game console........ THE GAMES.

And more than anything else, that impresses me, because no one else did.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    chriharr
    Quote Originally Posted by K2D View Post
    E3 jabs were good. Justified - gamescom jabs were cringe worthy :/
    And I think that's where you're right, initial stabs are good and healthy, but when you continue your stabs 2 months later it becomes crass. I remember watching Andy Houses second stab thinking WHY DUDE?? You've already won why are you being evil?

LEAVE MICROSOFT ALONE!! LOL

In all honesty after seeing the Sony FAQ… the XBOX ONE looks BETTER overall because it does everything… but I don't like most XBOX exclusives and I don't understand the controller so it's not for me.

XBOX ONE has a partnership with Australian Cable/Satellite TV companies, XBOX ONE has exclusive internet services through Telstra, XBOX brand is 100% unmetered through Telstra so you could literally push 10TB of content through your Cable Internet and it doesn't count towards your usage.

Sony has been my guardian in gaming for the past 15 years or so maybe longer… it's a massive shame they downgraded a little this generation… since PS2 I've expected to see massive changes every generation… no matter what they cost… they push it… I save up and I buy it.
    " A Toll's a toll and a roll's a roll. If we don't get no toll's, then we don't eat no roll's"

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Kamikaze_Krunch
    Items User name style
    The FAQ doesn't mean anything and the only so called problem was the music factor really. That can easily be patched. Sony has been extremely aggressive with the PS4 and the pre-orders are showing that it's going to pay off extremely well.

Also, when it comes to competition with Microsoft, Sony is right to keep on the jabs and not lighten up on them. Are people here that new to how Microsoft works? you have to be aggressive towards microsoft and when they are down you have to keep on hitting them. Microsoft has done that crap for so many years to smaller companies and it's about damn time it's coming back at them.
    Last edited by Demi_God; 11-03-2013 at 02:06.

Dedicated Member
    Items User name style
    Once you bout the wifi network adapter and the seperate harddrive, xbox live for 8 years and the HD DVD. The 360 was not cheaper. Far from it.

These were all built into the ps3.
    You can't be serious with the 30 megabyte signature... ~ Staff

Maths is biased! It keeps telling me the PS4 is 50% more powerful than XboxOne!
    Great song, should have more views :'(

SHIMAASAAAANIIII!!!!!
    http://i.imgur.com/bP50xuM.png

27. Likes sanfordmay, Riptide_Warrior likes this post

Thread Information